undisclosed Bunker
✟289,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what kind of woman would be interested in me.

When I actually asked myself the question, 'what kind of woman would I be interested in?' and made it a weee bit more specific than 'the kind of woman who is interested in me' all of a sudden the world stopped being a place full of women who weren't interested in me and became a place where I was seeking an interesting woman. The former is a pretty frustrating and lonely place; the latter is, well, interesting ;)

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I have a better idea for you. You are in the middle of Covid - a once in a hundred year pandemic. But it's also a once in a hundred year opportunity. Go do something great for your community, go help some people in need, go store some treasures in heaven. A year from now you will be sitting across the table from an interested red head who has a compassionate heart and she'll be thinking 'wow I wish I had known him then and been able to do those things with him'.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What else do you have going on in your life, though? I'm not a lady, but the ladies I know have all had stories in the past of having to rid some loser from their lives who didn't seem to have any motivation to do anything beyond dating them. If you're hyper-focused on your own romantic situation, it may be seeping through in your approach to this entire topic and torpedoing whatever chances you might have, whereas if you have your own life and interests outside of dating and that are not engaged in for the sake of dating, you'll not only seem like a more well-rounded and well-adjusted person to other people, you'll probably also just be happier overall, since you won't be so concerned with this one aspect of your life not going as you'd like it to.

I mean, I'm basically a decade older than you and haven't dated anyone in three years, and yeah, it definitely does get lonely sometimes, but I'm to the point where while I wouldn't mind if I found someone, I'm also having too good a time developing my own interests and hobbies and such to really give my romantic status any more room in my life than it should reasonably occupy. Sure, it's there, but so is a lot of other stuff: I'm learning to read French, I'm making sure to get at least an average of an hour of physical exercise in per day (no small feat in the middle of a pandemic that forces everyone to stay inside), I'm learning to cook healthier meals, etc. It's going pretty well so far, knock on wood. Should I meet someone later, presumably by then I'll be able to cook us some good meals, talk about French literature or whatever, and maybe even be in better shape, too. And if I don't, I can still do all of those things, just for myself. And that's good too, because they're good skills to have in general.

Is there anything preventing you from adopting a similar outlook, other than the obvious depression that accompanies feeling like a loser? You're not a loser, by the way. With the 'hook up' culture and various (ahem) alternative ways of envisioning the relationship as an arrangement that we see these days, it's probably better not to hang your self-image on that sort of thing. If anything, maybe you should order up some drinks and a little cake or something to celebrate not losing half your stuff or having to pay anyone alimony or child support in your 20s, both of which can definitely make you feel like way more of a failure than avoiding them will. Take it from any of the people I know who had kids with their high school sweethearts or first serious post-school partners: there aren't a lot of upsides to having a toddler to look after when you're 22 (or even younger; Lord have mercy). You've dodged that particular bullet. Good work!

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Of course I have hobbies & interests. I like doing them but at times like tonight or other times I'm feeling frustrated about lack of dating, it's just like they're a distraction, like a time-waster w/ no point, or even worse, a consolation. Tonight I feel like crying. It's still very early here but maybe I should just go to bed & things be better tomorrow? I have a lot of days left being alone, wasting a evening w/ sleep probably won't hurt. :(

I feel like a loser especially tonight b/c I feel like it's out of my control. Not that I'm a bottom on the ladder (tho I do get that feeling in regards to romance) but that I'm totally powerless w/ this situation.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's in your control though, man. That's the point. You can't force somebody to date you, of course, but you can do those things that make you happy or otherwise feel like you are doing something with your life, even if you're doing it alone. And focusing so much on your relationship status doesn't seem like it's bringing you happiness anyway, so what do you have to lose by not doing that?

Also, I'm not sure exactly how to put this, so I'm going to try to tread carefully, but please, try to consider this in a helpful fashion: Since you are 29 and have not ever dated, it is not unlikely that you have built up in your mind an idea of what being in a relationship is like that would be very hard to maintain if you were to actually get into one. I'm not going to say anything one way or another as to how you should think of relationships, only that the idea that getting into one is by the very act of doing so some kind of life-changing thing that will make you feel like a winner or whatever might not actually pan out that way in reality. Can romantic relationships be really great? Absolutely. But honestly, my last one ended three years ago because by a certain point we just sort of looked at each other and said "I don't think there's anything here, actually. This is kinda boring. Wanna just be friends?" And actually since then, it's been really awesome! That's not without its complications, either, but on the whole I think we like each other a lot more as friends than we ever did as romantic partners. That can happen, too, though to be honest this is the only time "Let's just be friends" has ever actually worked out that way for me (I don't know exactly how she feels about it, but usually "We can stay friends" is the last thing you hear before you never hear from them again...hahahaha :D).

Anyway, point is, part of learning to not feel so bad about where you are in your romantic life (or I suppose anywhere else in your life, either) is to not build it up too much. I'd love to have someone to come over (after covid!) and watch movies, or listen to music, or watch Jeopardy together (wow...I really am boring, maybe; whatever...any girl who is not down with Jeopardy is not for me anyway :rolleyes:), but my life isn't ruined because I don't have that right now, or haven't had it in a few years. Not having that doesn't make me a loser. In fact, in a lot of ways, my life is better, or at least less complicated, for not having that: I don't have to walk around on eggshells to avoid someone else's bad mood; I can go anywhere and do anything and I don't have to 'check in' with anybody or get anyone's permission first; if I want to blast the greatest hits of the 1970s because I'm feeling like enjoying some Stevie Wonder or Gerry Rafferty or whoever at maximum volume just because, then the only people I have to contend with are my neighbors, and if they don't like it they can turn down the Bollywood music coming from their place! Or turn it up, cos some of that is great, too!

People are lovely, but so is the freedom to be your own person. Ideally you'd find someone who accepts all your quirks, but in practice there's often a lot of accommodation that goes on, at least on some level.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟125,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Same. I feel so lonely tonight. I can't keep doing this year-in & year-out.
I'm sorry. I will be praying for you I'm praying that the Lord gives you a peace and change of mind about your circumstances. I hope you have some fellowship that you are connected to, we are created to be in a community. And it's best that you are surrounded by a community before you do meet somebody that you consider special so that you can be in a healthy relationship. I know my words may not seem helpful but just know that there are people who care about you.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sorry. I will be praying for you I'm praying that the Lord gives you a peace and change of mind about your circumstances. I hope you have some fellowship that you are connected to, we are created to be in a community. And it's best that you are surrounded by a community before you do meet somebody that you consider special so that you can be in a healthy relationship. I know my words may not seem helpful but just know that there are people who care about you.
Fellowship like Christian fellowship groups? That hasn't been easy. It's hard finding a church that has fellowship groups for my age range. Seems like churches jump from high school fellowship groups to married fellowship groups w/ nothing in between. I did recently find a church that did have a singles group, but it wasn't a good fit for me. I found a different church w/ a singles group but they don't meet for a couple weeks, but I'm planning on going.

• Optimistic
Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟125,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Fellowship like Christian fellowship groups? That hasn't been easy. It's hard finding a church that has fellowship groups for my age range. Seems like churches jump from high school fellowship groups to married fellowship groups w/ nothing in between. I did recently find a church that did have a singles group, but it wasn't a good fit for me. I found a different church w/ a singles group but they don't meet for a couple weeks, but I'm planning on going.
More like, a Sunday school class or bible study and then branching off to a smaller group of friends. Facebook may also have a singles Christian fellowship group in your area. You'll have to be creative with finding social connections during the pandemic, but its possible. This forum is a Christian community also. I had the same difficulty at your age, but I did find a church 30 miles away that had a singles ministry for 30 and above. It ended in 2013, but I still have brothers and sisters in Christ that we support one another (even if we are far) and try to get together when we can. Meet up groups may have something too, but less now with the pandemic.

I encourage you to get connected to one of these singles groups, even if they seem like they aren't a right fit. As long as they aren't leading you towards sin. I had a young adult group I was part of when I was 32 or 33 and I had to run. I'd never been in a church that they were trying to pull me into sin. And they were stuck on the idea of being the "cool" Christian group. Some of them were trying to relive their glory days of popular cliques you see in high school. It was the most surreal thing and I was so glad the Lord helped guide me out of there.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Certain posts in this thread really good to go back to whenever I need to talk myself into having a salad for lunch, or getting on the exercise bike for another half hour or whatever even though my back hurts. Oof. Self-improvement is so much more difficult than self-loathing. Plus, self-loathing comes with cake sometimes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I do work on self-improvement. I've come a long ways even from a few years ago. It doesn't help get gf, much as it can help in other ways. :(

Ugh, I feel miserable again today. This is a rough week. I can't live like this. I feel like a loser b/c I can't get my dream, I lose at it.

More like, a Sunday school class or bible study and then branching off to a smaller group of friends. Facebook may also have a singles Christian fellowship group in your area. You'll have to be creative with finding social connections during the pandemic, but its possible. This forum is a Christian community also. I had the same difficulty at your age, but I did find a church 30 miles away that had a singles ministry for 30 and above. It ended in 2013, but I still have brothers and sisters in Christ that we support one another (even if we are far) and try to get together when we can. Meet up groups may have something too, but less now with the pandemic.

I encourage you to get connected to one of these singles groups, even if they seem like they aren't a right fit. As long as they aren't leading you towards sin. I had a young adult group I was part of when I was 32 or 33 and I had to run. I'd never been in a church that they were trying to pull me into sin. And they were stuck on the idea of being the "cool" Christian group. Some of them were trying to relive their glory days of popular cliques you see in high school. It was the most surreal thing and I was so glad the Lord helped guide me out of there.
We'll see how this one is in a couple weeks. Ugh, I wish they were meeting this coming Sunday but not till the 10th. Also I'l llet you know how it is. If it doesn't seem like a good fit, you have to keep forcing me to go.

• Optimistic
Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟125,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do work on self-improvement. I've come a long ways even from a few years ago. It doesn't help get gf, much as it can help in other ways. :(

Ugh, I feel miserable again today. This is a rough week. I can't live like this. I feel like a loser b/c I can't get my dream, I lose at it.

We'll see how this one is in a couple weeks. Ugh, I wish they were meeting this coming Sunday but not till the 10th. Also I'l llet you know how it is. If it doesn't seem like a good fit, you have to keep forcing me to go.
I'm hopeful for you friend! Hang in there.

I kind of think of this like exercise, you don't want to focus on the weight but what you are building towards the future. My reasons for running/walking & weight training have always been health and never the weight.

Starting with the mental picture and what kinds of habits are we building in our thinking for the future. Whatever mental picture you have now, that is what you will be bringing into the relationship. So make sure you are building good ones, because relationships take sacrifice and giving of ourselves. Its not what the other gives to us.

Pick at least one good mental habit to build off of for 2021. Blessings and prayers

Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
i want to cry so much

Go ahead and cry brother...I've been shedding more tears this last month than I can remember. And that's after the loss of family members. I believe I have cried more this year than ever before.

*It's cleansing.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.