2018 outpouring, are you feeling it? I am!

Are you feeling an outpouring of the Holy Spirit?

• Yes

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Not yet..... but I am looking forward to it. I know it is coming.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I do not believe that anything like Acts 2 will happen again until Jesus is here.

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Laying on graves of people believed to have an "anointing" in the hope of absorbing it. It reminds me a bit of the early Christian practice of building altars and places of worship over the bones of martyrs, or the story of Polycarp's martyrdom, where the faithful attempted to touch his body.
If one goes to Rome one sees people weeping and kissing stones and such. The toes on a statue in the Vatican are gone from people kissing them. A worse example of idolatry on earth I cannot imagine. And now some Protestants are doing it. Well, idolatry is popular although now it is more like seeing spiritual highs than worship.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
If one goes to Rome one sees people weeping and kissing stones and such. The toes on a statue in the Vatican are gone from people kissing them. A worse example of idolatry on earth I cannot imagine. And now some Protestants are doing it. Well, idolatry is popular although now it is more like seeing spiritual highs than worship.

Some Lutherans do some of those sorts of things. It is one difference between us and Reformed churches. On Good Friday we had a service that included adoration of the Cross. We never considered images to be idolatry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some Lutherans do some of those sorts of things. It is one difference between us and Reformed churches. On Good Friday we had a service that included adoration of the Cross. We never considered images to be idolatry.
What things to Lutherans do that I presented? Lutherans don't have statues and don't kiss their toes or light candles for the dead that I know of. We don't have Jesus still hanging on the cross but the cross is empty same as the tomb. What one does on the Friday before Easter doesn't matter, does it?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
What things to Lutherans do that I presented? Lutherans don't have statues and don't kiss their toes or light candles for the dead that I know of. We don't have Jesus still hanging on the cross but the cross is empty same as the tomb. What one does on the Friday before Easter doesn't matter, does it?

Sometimes we do have statues in our churches, older churches in northern Europe often do, as do some in the US. And some Lutherans also have crucifixes. Our church does not but that has more to do with it being a modern, somewhat abstract design. Pastor has said he would like to have a crucifix in our church if it matched the aesthetics.

We don't kiss statues generally but that's not to say a Lutheran could never do so. We also still have some festivals associated with saints, such as St. Lucy, and we sing hymns about her. On Good Friday at our church most people simply touched the Cross or kneeled or prayed in front of it, but kissing the Cross would not have been inappopriate, and I have seen people do so before.

We can and do pray for the dead but we do not have the same doctrines as Catholics about the practice. On All Saints Day we have a tolling of bells for those who have died in the previous year.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes we do have statues in our churches, older churches in northern Europe often do, as do some in the US. And some Lutherans also have crucifixes. Our church does not but that has more to do with it being a modern, somewhat abstract design. Pastor has said he would like to have a crucifix in our church if it matched the aesthetics.
I lived in northern Europe and only the Catholic churches had statues that I recall. During the Reformation the christians took them down. But I cannot say for sure that all of the catholic congregations turned protestants did this for sure. Maybe some escaped and were nevertheless protestants.

I am sorry a Pastor knows so little of church history to want to have a cross with Jesus still suffering instead of resurrected upon it. It was a moment of triump for the powers of darkness.
We don't kiss statues generally but that's not to say a Lutheran could never do so.
Lutherans can do a lot of things including commit idolatry. Does not mean it is a christian thing to do, that is, what christ would do. I was raised Lutheran and we did not even talk about kissing statues. The catholics still kiss the ring of some.
We also still have some festivals associated with saints, such as St. Lucy, and we sing hymns about her. On Good Friday at our church most people simply touched the Cross or kneeled or prayed in front of it, but kissing the Cross would not have been inappopriate, and I have seen people do so before.
Our Lutheran church never celebrated any saints days. But maybe some are becoming more Catholic.
We can and do pray for the dead but we do not have the same doctrines as Catholics about the practice. On All Saints Day we have a tolling of bells for those who have died in the previous year.
As I said, it is likely that some protestants are becoming more and more catholic. Many catholics I know are more protestant in their thinking.

As for praying for the dead, we see no one in the Bible who did this. The one we know who called on the dead did not get the response expected. Did not turn out well. Does not seem to be any chance God is answering any prayer for the dead. If GOd is not interested in answering those, seems like a waste of time to pray for them.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I lived in northern Europe and only the Catholic churches had statues that I recall. During the Reformation the christians took them down. But I cannot say for sure that all of the catholic congregations turned protestants did this for sure. Maybe some escaped and were nevertheless protestants.

I am sorry a Pastor knows so little of church history to want to have a cross with Jesus still suffering instead of resurrected upon it. It was a moment of triump for the powers of darkness.
Lutherans can do a lot of things including commit idolatry. Does not mean it is a christian thing to do, that is, what christ would do. I was raised Lutheran and we did not even talk about kissing statues. The catholics still kiss the ring of some.
Our Lutheran church never celebrated any saints days. But maybe some are becoming more Catholic.
As I said, it is likely that some protestants are becoming more and more catholic. Many catholics I know are more protestant in their thinking.

As for praying for the dead, we see no one in the Bible who did this. The one we know who called on the dead did not get the response expected. Did not turn out well. Does not seem to be any chance God is answering any prayer for the dead. If GOd is not interested in answering those, seems like a waste of time to pray for them.

If you are German, your experience of Lutheranism may have been influenced by Germany's state EKD, which is a blended church and does not always retain those practices and often they call themselves simply "Evangelical" now days. The US Lutheran churches were never part of the Prussian Union in the 19th century and we still retain distinctly Lutheran confessions and identity. We also tend to be more liturgical and some of us have high church type practices.

Also, many of our congregations are less explicitly anti-Catholic in our identity. It's a cultural thing, I suppose. We are Evangelicals but we are also Catholic.

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
is there anything in scripture where the Holy Spirit manifested itself where people were convulsing, barking like dogs, and screaming and hollering?

the only thing close to it is legion who was possessed by demons.

Perhaps what that phenomena might mean is that people are being delivered from the negative influence from demons?!

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps what that phenomena might mean is that people are being delivered from the negative influence from demons?!
except when legion was delivered he stopped doing these things..

• Useful
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
except when legion was delivered he stopped doing these things..

Yes.... and many Pentecostals and Charismatic Christians who have some sort of profound experience where they may fall on the floor........ often experience a massive transformation in their thoughts...... and in their lifestyle afterwards.

So.... what is happening in Pentecostal meetings could well be very much like what happened with the deliverance of the Legion..... .and the many other deliverances that we read about in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes.... and many Pentecostals and Charismatic Christians who have some sort of profound experience where they may fall on the floor........ often experience a massive transformation in their thoughts...... and in their lifestyle afterwards.

So.... what is happening in Pentecostal meetings could well be very much like what happened with the deliverance of the Legion..... .and the many other deliverances that we read about in the New Testament.
you are most welcomed to believe that.

there's a number of problems with such a conclusion but....as you wish.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
you are most welcomed to believe that.

there's a number of problems with such a conclusion but....as you wish.

You may find the opening five paragraphs of this book rather intriguing.....

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Amen brother....and while you’re at it find the verse justifying Sunday school. I sure hope that ‘unbiblical’ practice doesn’t take place at ‘your church’. :doh: And while we’re at it let’s not forget ‘the church service’ which follows THE BIBLE’S protocol for holding one correctly, as defined by Paul. 1 Cor. 14:26. How does your church gathering on Sunday measure up to that biblically?

Sorry for my bluntness, but pointing out false judgments like “deception” from a religious spirit were biblical, and called out by Jesus himself.

This is an interesting and encouraging explanation for what is coming.....

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
This is an interesting and encouraging explanation for what is coming.....
I've already seen this Dennis, but thanks. I don't know if I'm as encouraged as you are, or as much as I should be. I have a personal sense that the return of Jesus is a whole lot more imminent personally. IOW I don't declare Bob to be a prophet in error . And I would never declare him to 'not' being a prophet of God either, just because he might have made a mistake either.

I'm curious as to why you sent it to me here, on a thread I haven't been on, for a fair amount of time?

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I've already seen this Dennis, but thanks. I don't know if I'm as encouraged as you are, or as much as I should be. I have a personal sense that the return of Jesus is a whole lot more imminent personally. IOW I don't declare Bob to be a prophet in error . And I would never declare him to 'not' being a prophet of God either, just because he might have made a mistake either.

I'm curious as to why you sent it to me here, on a thread I haven't been on, for a fair amount of time?

Mostly because I just watched it..........
I wanted to watch it again in the future... and adding it to a related discussion is one of the only ways that I can find a video like this six months or a year from now if I go searching for it.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
So... were the goalposts moved from 2018 to 2019 now?

I think that Ms. Kat Kerr does an exceptionally good job of explaining some of what will likely take place from 2017 - 2040.

I have to admit though... .what she said about the near future kind of shocked me...... but I can't rule out her ideas even though they sure don't sound much like the gloom and doom that I was taught from 1973 - 1991 in the Worldwide Church of God.

Upvote 0