katsung47

Mar 8, 2011
✟31,385.00
Faith
Atheist

$12 Billion For Them - 1.5 Million Homeless For Us

Lilith
- 7 days ago - rense.com

Does anyone possess a clue as to why our U.S. government spends $12 billion every 30 days in Afghanistan and Iraq while 1.5 million of our citizens remain homeless and 13.4 million American children live in poverty?

http://www.care2.com/news/member/503332866/2840575

How could government spend money in this way and nobody dares say a word.

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
Not many of our elected officials seem too concerned about it though. You could probably count the senators and congressman who do on one hand.
Dennis Kucinich and Ron Paul are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head who oppose the wars for humanitarian reasons.
I'm sure there are others though.

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It really is a shame. The problem with the homeless is that so many of them are mentally ill, and are on the streets because they have nowhere to go after most of the mental hospitals were deinstitutionalized. Because of that, a lot of homeless people really can't do anything. They're just there. For being such a (seemingly) wealthy nation, we have an abysmal homeless problem. I think a lack of decent public housing is contributor to this.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
First make sure shelters are available so that people have a secure place to sleep, stay clean and keep their stuff. Then pair them up with counselors/mentors or mental health professionals as needed. Develop a plan which if followed will allow for them to once again become independent. Work with them to implement the plan until they no longer require assistance.

It depends how the money is thrown at them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It really is a shame. The problem with the homeless is that so many of them are mentally ill, and are on the streets because they have nowhere to go after most of the mental hospitals were deinstitutionalized. Because of that, a lot of homeless people really can't do anything. They're just there. For being such a (seemingly) wealthy nation, we have an abysmal homeless problem. I think a lack of decent public housing is contributor to this.

The mentally ill often end up either homeless or in prison. However, when they end up in prison, they are in the general prison population rather than on the medical wards where they should be (unlike Paris Hilton when she was sent to jail).

The mental institutions often had terrible living conditions, but it is too bad that tight regulations couldn't have been passed to clean them up. Unfortunately, we seem much more concerned in helping the wealthy and the corporations (who don't need help) rather than the ones who really do need help.

Upvote 0

citizenthom

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.
Nov 10, 2009
✟12,912.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
throwing homes at them often helps, however.

We have abundant public housing in the United States. That doesn't help people afford it, nor does it help them get motivated to move to areas where it is available. When you can make more money and live better as a New York homeless person than a rural person in public housing, homelessness is the rational option.

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟27,008.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

I'd also be in favor of throwing a little medical care their way.
So, what is stopping you? Oh, thats right, you want other people to put up the cash, and you can feel good about yourselves for forcing them to do it. Why not put your money where your mouth is? Your own money. There is nothing stopping you from paying someone elses mortgage or medical bills, so have at it.

Reactions: Nilloc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

new_wine

Citizen
Dec 30, 2010
✟16,339.00
Faith
Christian
It is painfully obvious that the defense budget needs to be trimmed by at least 40%.

But as the corporations that make money off of the military also fund the plutocrats in congress to get elected will they honestly bite the hand that feeds them?

Have they since the 1870s?

It is insane to think change will ever come when this happens over and over.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'd also be in favor of throwing a little medical care their way.

So, what is stopping you? Oh, thats right, you want other people to put up the cash, and you can feel good about yourselves for forcing them to do it. Why not put your money where your mouth is? Your own money. There is nothing stopping you from paying someone elses mortgage or medical bills, so have at it.
I seem to recall a time when we provided housing and medical care for the mentally ill. then the ACLU do-gooders decided that doing so was tantamout to imprisonment without due process forcing those people out into the streets to fend for themselves. I guess that's an example of the law of unintended consequences.

Upvote 0

acropolis

so rad
Jan 29, 2008
✟20,293.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single

yeah yeah yeah we know you lack any sort of empathy and rather millions suffer and die than part with any of your precious lucre. i really can't imagine being so callous. providing comfort to others is, for me, the most satisfying thing in the world to do, whether it's working at a soup kitchen or collecting donations to give winter coats and shoes to poor kids whose parents have a similar level of selfishness as your own. i'm sorry you missed that developmental stage which allows one to gain pleasure from helping others, but that won't stop me and others from doing everything we can to improve the welfare of society, even if it means taking a percentage of your money.

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟27,008.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
yeah yeah yeah we know you lack any sort of empathy and rather millions suffer and die than part with any of your precious lucre. i really can't imagine being so callous. providing comfort to others is, for me, the most satisfying thing in the world to do, whether it's working at a soup kitchen or collecting donations to give winter coats and shoes to poor kids whose parents have a similar level of selfishness as your own. i'm sorry you missed that developmental stage which allows one to gain pleasure from helping others, but that won't stop me and others from doing everything we can to improve the welfare of society, even if it means taking a percentage of your money.
Well, there we have it. A refreshing tidbit of liberal honesty if ever there was one-- If you dont do what liberals think is right, they will force you to do it. If you dont give what they think you should, they will take it from you. You know, you get that same sort of thinking from the thug who lifts your wallet. The difference between the common thug and the modern leftist is that the thug knows he is a thief. The leftist pretends he is not.

Reactions: Nilloc
Upvote 0

RedDead1981

Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere
Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To be fair, liberals who advocate tax increases for social welfare (healthcare, etc) are also advocating for an increase of their own taxes. Therefore they are using their own money. They just use everyone elses at the same time.

Upvote 0