Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Back in 2016 the Trump campaign released a memo outlining that he would cut off remittances to force Mexico to make a one time payment of $5 to $10 billion to pay for the wall. From here, when Trump said he would make Mexico pay for the wall, it was assumed he was referring to this particular plan.
And therein lies the problem...In Trump's world no utterance is valid once it hits the back of the room. And all the fanboys care about is whether liberals get their knickers in a wad.

It is sad that America has been reduced to this. But it is what it is.

Upvote 0

Abraxos

Christ is King
Jan 12, 2016
New Zealand
✟69,326.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
TBH Trump is just trying to cover himself from that silly rhetoric back in 2016 of "WHO'S GOING TO PAY FOR THE WALL!? MEXICO! YAY!"

It's one of those terrible narratives of playing to a crowd when really he should've just pointed out facts about what's going on at the southern border and how US taxpayers are financially burdened by illegal immigration some $135 billion per year.

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because, as I am sure you are aware, that’s the only place that he can withdraw funds to build his silly toy...

...or from funds designated for real emergencies:

The administration is eyeing unused money in the Army Corps of Engineers budget, specifically a disaster spending bill passed by Congress last year that includes $13.9 billion allocated but not spent for civil works projects, two people with knowledge of the developments said Thursday.

Trump has urged the Army Corps to determine how fast contracts could be signed and whether construction could begin within 45 days, according to one of the people who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the preparations.

The list includes dozens of flood control projects in areas affected by recent natural disasters, including the Texas coastline inundated by Hurricane Harvey and parts of Puerto Rico battered by Hurricane Maria.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...cfd62dbb0a8_story.html?utm_term=.689e91930303

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It might be a roundabout payment but, we have to give Trump credit for the deal he made with Mexico we are doing far better and the deal he made with Canada we are doing far better
You can't say we are doing better when the new trade deal hasn't even taken effect yet. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...you do understand that "I believe him and I need no evidence" pretty much says "I believe him and I wont believe any evidence that says otherwise." so why do you ask for something that wont make any difference in what you believe? :scratch:
tulc(is just wondering) :wave:

No, but what i do understand is with all the nonsensical defenses popping up here, it's tough to take them too seriously. Lets take yours for instance..

I was asking the opposing party to convince me otherwise. Did you not see that was the whole point. "I believe this, now prove to me what you claim is true". In short, no, it pretty much does not say that.

Elementary, but I suppose you are doing the best you can..

Last edited:
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
and simply, in this case get someone to show me where he clearly said he expected something so silly as for Mexico to actually write a check.

I just don't find it the least bit hard to believe he didn't mean it that way.
Most people did take it that he meant that Mexico would directly be paying for the wall, including the President of Mexico who was so convince that was what he meant that he, the President of Mexico, called Trump and very clearly told him that Mexico was not paying for the wall.
I remember after that Trump saying that maybe we just wouldn't give Mexico the foreign aid that we give them each year. What happened to that idea?

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It might be a roundabout payment but, we have to give Trump credit for the deal he made with Mexico we are doing far better and the deal he made with Canada we are doing far better.
M-Bob
So I have a question for you. How exactly are we doing better with the new trade deal. Even assuming it's ratified, which it has not been, how is different from the current NAFTA? And how is it different from the TPP that was singly handedly spiked by the President? I'm asking these questions to see if you honestly think they are good deals or if you automatically think anything Trump does is good.

• Optimistic
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Back in 2016 the Trump campaign released a memo outlining that he would cut off remittances to force Mexico to make a one time payment of $5 to $10 billion to pay for the wall. From here, when Trump said he would make Mexico pay for the wall, it was assumed he was referring to this particular plan.

Why would you want to even put that on the table here, when it was made clear right there "There are several ways to compel Mexico to pay for the wall including the following" He instead has used one of the other several ways, and might even try something else at a later date.

Worst part, your claiming what i marked in bold there in the quote of your post when, in reality, he didn't outline that he would do anything of the sort, it was a proposal, one of a few possibilities..

Why is doing it however he can unreasonable? I'll tell you why, because some people want to use untruths as you have just done to make him appear unreasonable, the whole point behind my challenge.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At this point, I predict you will leap to a claim that just because the president didn't say precisely that "Mexico would actually write out a check", it therefore proves that Trump never made a claim even syntactically similar.

Nope, even worse, I'm going to say you got nothing there.

Since you seem so good at telling me what I'm going to claim, why don't you look closely at you own claims there and see they hold no water. Once you do, and if you still cannot figure it out, then get back with me here.

Here is a hint, try to get past what your mind insists on doing with that text, and see what it actually says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most people did take it that he meant that Mexico would directly be paying for the wall, including the President of Mexico who was so convince that was what he meant that he, the President of Mexico, called Trump and very clearly told him that Mexico was not paying for the wall.

Good grief, Hank, look around, is it any wonder Mexico's president/others thought that? See what the press does with what he said? as well as the people like here, who blindly jump on the presses band wagon and refuse to look into what was really said/done?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Good grief, Hank, look around, is it any wonder Mexico's president/others thought that? See what the press does with what he said? as well as the people like here, who blindly jump on the presses band wagon and refuse to look into what was really said/done?

But we have always been at war with EastAsia...right..?

Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
...or from funds designated for real emergencies:

The administration is eyeing unused money in the Army Corps of Engineers budget, specifically a disaster spending bill passed by Congress last year that includes $13.9 billion allocated but not spent for civil works projects, two people with knowledge of the developments said Thursday.

Trump has urged the Army Corps to determine how fast contracts could be signed and whether construction could begin within 45 days, according to one of the people who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the preparations.

The list includes dozens of flood control projects in areas affected by recent natural disasters, including the Texas coastline inundated by Hurricane Harvey and parts of Puerto Rico battered by Hurricane Maria.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...cfd62dbb0a8_story.html?utm_term=.689e91930303

Time for congress to put their foot down.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So I have a question for you. How exactly are we doing better with the new trade deal. Even assuming it's ratified, which it has not been, how is different from the current NAFTA? And how is it different from the TPP that was singly handedly spiked by the President? I'm asking these questions to see if you honestly think they are good deals or if you automatically think anything Trump does

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...4/trump-mexico-trade-deal-nafta-workers-labor

Upvote 0

AllButNone

Jan 18, 2017
Canada
✟77,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Why would you want to even put that on the table here, when it was made clear right there "There are several ways to compel Mexico to pay for the wall including the following"

Because of those words "compel Mexico to pay" followed by a series of points that show how to leverage America's position to compel a direct payment from the Mexican government...

*edit, just curious, do you really not see the phrase "compel to pay" as completely at odds with "indirectly pay"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
*edit, just curious, do you really not see the phrase "compel to pay" as completely at odds with "indirectly pay"?

Let's just get the wall built instead of splitting hairs.

Mexico at this time is getting ready on their southern border to push away yet another Caravan.

The goats believe in compromise. So let's let Mexico build our wall and we'll build one for them on their southern border.

M-Bob

• Friendly
Reactions: AllButNone
Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Let's just get the wall built instead of splitting hairs.

Mexico at this time is getting ready on their southern border to push away yet another Caravan.

The goats believe in compromise. So let's let Mexico build our wall and we'll build one for them on their southern border.

M-Bob

How is doing what Trump wants (which is a stupid idea) compromise?

And, good point about the Mexican southern border. We should just secure that. It’s only 541 miles. Would be much simpler and cheaper to secure that than the US-Mexico border.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because of those words "compel Mexico to pay" followed by a series of points that show how to leverage America's position to compel a direct payment from the Mexican government...

Of course I saw it, did you not see where I quoted it? Of course he wants them to pay one way or another. It's not completely at odds...pay is pay. Do you mind if he gets them to pay however he can?

If you refuse to see the fact there was much more too this than the claimed, he expected Mexico to write a check/pay directly, then I can't help you. The post to which you just replied should have told how not only was your argument weak, but nonexistent. So go ahead and grab your straws and toss them at me if it makes you feel better.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But we have always been at war with EastAsia...right..?

Explain in depth how that relates to my post, and I'll answer it. That is unless you're just going to waste mine and the readers time, and if that is the case...don't.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
You can't say we are doing better when the new trade deal hasn't even taken effect yet. :sigh:

A person making a legitimate claim can't say that, but it's well within Trump's purview to make the claim of what he's accomplished before it's been accomplished (or regardless if it will ever be accomplished). In fact, that's standard practice.

Upvote 0