Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Tigris+and+Euphrates+background+narrative-image-3.jpg

source

Still looking for Heavenly Mother...... Maybe her name is Zarahemla.
So what if you think you have the names of 2 of the 4 rivers. Where is Eden exactly?
Where is the one river running through it and out of it that stems into 4 rivers exactly?

Kind of interesting isn't it, when the shoe is on the other foot. You cannot tell me where Eden and the 4 rivers are exactly, mentioned in the Holy Bible. I cannot tell you where Zarahemla and the river Sidon is exactly, mentioned in the BOM.

The Church of Jesus Christ is not looking for Heavenly Mother, we know where She is.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'll let the readers decide whether your assessment is accurate or not. I urge you to leave the Mormon cult/ I pray God will open your eyes.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Again, the Hiddekel is just another name for the Tigris, apparently. So that one is located in the real world, too. Having a different name in another language doesn't make it a different physical location. The Germans call their own country Deutschland, but it's not located in a different place than Germany is.
You are right, Hiddekel is just another name for the Tigris, APPARENTLY.

The Ucumacinta is just another name for the Sidon, APPARENTLY. So that one is located in the real world, too. Having a different name in another language doesn't make it a different physical location. You have summed it up logically again. Thank you.

But if you wanted to try to locate it somewhere in the world, you'd do better looking in that region than in Missouri or anywhere else in the New World, as the text of Genesis came out of the ancient Near East, not the modern United States like Joseph Smith did.

With the knowledge we have it would be a better idea to put Eden in the Near East rather than in Missouri of the US. But since you can't tell me exactly where it was, and you apparently don't think it was a real place anyway, why the indignant posture about someone saying it was in Missouri area of the US?

When I heard it the first time, I thought it was remarkable that a person would even be so bold as to even say it, and it became an interesting subject with my piers. The idea is not so laughable, Noah was in his arc well over 100 days. How far do you think the arc traveled from his home (presumably within the area of Eden) to its final resting place? Could the arc have started in the Americas and traveled over 100 days to Erarat? Not out of the realm of possibilities. So JS says Missouri, so what to you?

Snarkiness is in the eye of the beholder. I'd like to think I'm being factual,

You are being factual about Eden, and the 4 rivers? Please, everyone is guessing. But you are snarky about JS and his statement, you give him no benefit of the doubt that you give everyone else.

...of Latter Day Saints. (Have your leaders not said lately that they want all members to use the full name of your religious organization?)

No, they have not. Our leaders tell us to no longer use Mormons, LDS, and Latter-day Saints.
Our prophet said that Jesus was not pleased that these nicknames leave his name out. It is his church not Mormons church, not the LDS's church, it is the Church of Jesus Christ.

So we can say The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or we can shorten it to The Church of Jesus Christ, or The Restored Church of Jesus Christ. Just so that the name of Jesus Christ is present in the presentation.

My wife said an interesting thing to me, and that was that if our prophet knew that Jesus was angry or not pleased, it means that there was a discussion between our prophet and Jesus Christ. Jesus had tried before to correct this abuse, but whether the prophets did not get the seriousness of the moment or the people were not listening to the prophet, I do not know, but President Nelson made it perfectly clear that we are abusing the name of his church. I have chosen to use the shorter version, the Church of Jesus Christ.

Christians are in the Church of Jesus Christ.
If that is true then change your name to the Church of Jesus Christ of Oriental Orthodoxy. That would be a wise choice.

No, the difference between your belief as a Mormon in the existence of Zarahemla is that there is no tradition concerning it that predates Joseph Smith, so there is not way to credibly claim that he didn't just make it up. By contrast, the Tigris and the Euphrates have been known (by those names) for millennia to be located exactly where they are still located to this day. Even the story of Eden, which is not known to have ever really existed, still dates back many, many, many centuries in that same part of the world; it cannot conceivably be said to be the creation of one man, let alone one modern man.

There are many places still there predating JS. For instance Kamorah is still there, and Lamani is a ruins that is still there and these have been there since BOM days. There are many more.

It is interesting that since around 350ad, the lands of the BOM have been overrun by different cultures with different languages many, many times. And back near BOM times, when a different people, conquered a people and took over their lands, they destroyed all remnants of the people they conquered. This is before the conquistadors came in the 1500's and dismantled a people to their very core, uprooting hundreds of years of cultural treasures and books and papers. Burned and pillaged and destroyed anything that looked like the old way.

So it is with great wisdom that the Lord has saved anything to bring forth in our time about anything from the BOM peoples from an archaeological standpoint. There is, however, evidences that still tell us that these people existed, but our faith that they existed is the most important thing. Faith is the true building block of being saved by Jesus Christs, and faith is what we must have with regards to the BOM lands. It is nice, however, to discover something that belongs to these people and support our faith. Such as, it has now been discovered in a deep well, the jawbone of a horse, dated to BOM times. A regular sized horse jawbone, not 15,000 years old, but 2,000 years old, and before Columbus landed in the Americas. So it was nice to have little pieces of evidence crop up once in a while to support our faith.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Faith is the true building block of being saved by Jesus Christs, and faith is what we must have with regards to the BOM lands.

Mormons are not Christians.

• Winner
Reactions: Solomon Smith
Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Church of Jesus Christ is 18,000,000 people strong, how large is your congregation?

There are 1.8 billion Muslims. So much for counting noses.

• Winner
Reactions: Solomon Smith
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You are right, Hiddekel is just another name for the Tigris, APPARENTLY.

I write 'apparently' because it was new information to me, since I don't speak Hebrew, not because it is somehow in doubt. It is definitely another name for the Tigris, as you can see here -- Hebrew: חידקל‬ Ḥîddeqel, biblical Hiddekel

The Ucumacinta is just another name for the Sidon, APPARENTLY. So that one is located in the real world, too. Having a different name in another language doesn't make it a different physical location. You have summed it up logically again. Thank you.

You're welcome.

With the knowledge we have it would be a better idea to put Eden in the Near East rather than in Missouri of the US. But since you can't tell me exactly where it was, and you apparently don't think it was a real place anyway, why the indignant posture about someone saying it was in Missouri area of the US?

For the very reason you yourself just stated: it contradicts the knowledge that we have concerning where the story about it came from. It's not a matter of whether or not I personally believe it to have been a real place or not. I have no way of knowing, and it really doesn't matter for the purposes of this conversation, because even if I believe it to be an allegory, I can be wrong or it can still be based on an actually existing place, and in neither case is there any reason to assume that it is based in Missouri or anywhere other than Mesopotamia, since that's where the stories about it have come from. If there had been an equally ancient tradition among the people of Missouri that located it there, rather than in Mesopotamia, I would say that there would be equal chance that it is based on something in Missouri or at least something coming from Missouri. But that's not the case, as you seem to recognize.

When I heard it the first time, I thought it was remarkable that a person would even be so bold as to even say it, and it became an interesting subject with my piers. The idea is not so laughable, Noah was in his arc well over 100 days. How far do you think the arc traveled from his home (presumably within the area of Eden) to its final resting place? Could the arc have started in the Americas and traveled over 100 days to Erarat? Not out of the realm of possibilities.

The distance from Mount Ararat, which is near the border of Armenia and Turkey, to Missouri is 6,398 miles. It would of course depend on the weight of the ark (is this supposed to be the same one that is filled with animals to be saved from the flood? I imagine that would slow things down considerably), the currents and winds, the exact trajectory of the arc, and many other factors. I guess you could say it is possible, but my question would be how likely it would be to have happened, particularly given the complete lack of evidence to suggest that such a voyage happened when the BOM narrative would require it to. According to Herodotus, it took the Phoenician fleet hired by Egyptian king Necho II (d. 595 BC) three years to circumnavigate Africa, which is a distance of 22,680 miles. That would yield a distance of approximately 21 miles a day (22,680 miles / 1095 days = 20.7 miles). If Noah were travelling at that speed in his ark, the journey across the ocean from Missouri to Mt. Ararat would take approximately 304 days. (6398 / 21 = 304.666666667)

I guess you're right that this is over 100 days, but considerably over. If you have a better way to calculate what seems reasonable for the time (read: the time of Noah, with the technology and constraints that he conceivably had) and distance that must be crossed to make such a journey, feel free to present it.

So JS says Missouri, so what to you?

I think he is incorrect and this is just a fanciful story that is taken by faithful Mormons to be true in some fashion. See above for why, if your own common sense is not enough to tell you that this should not be taken literally.

You are being factual about Eden, and the 4 rivers? Please, everyone is guessing.

It's not a matter of guessing where the Tigris and the Euphrates are. You can find them on any map.

20130309_MAM995.png

They are clearly marked. Please don't deny what your eyes can see for the sake of Joseph Smith. That does more to discredit him and the people who follow the religion he founded than I ever could.

But you are snarky about JS and his statement, you give him no benefit of the doubt that you give everyone else.

I don't give him the benefit of the doubt because he says things that are demonstrably false, with no backing as to why they should be reconsidered in his favor. This is the same as I treat literally everyone else. You either have an argument to present that corresponds to something in the real world or you do not.

No, they have not. Our leaders tell us to no longer use Mormons, LDS, and Latter-day Saints.
Our prophet said that Jesus was not pleased that these nicknames leave his name out. It is his church not Mormons church, not the LDS's church, it is the Church of Jesus Christ.

This is your belief and ecclesiology, but obviously no one here is going to agree with it. I personally will oppose it every single time I see it, without exception. Your church is not Christian, your religion is not a form of Christianity, and whatever JS 'restored' is certainly not the Church of Jesus Christ our Lord.

So we can say The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or we can shorten it to The Church of Jesus Christ, or The Restored Church of Jesus Christ. Just so that the name of Jesus Christ is present in the presentation.

This makes sense in terms of what they are trying to achieve via PR, but it's kinda funny relative to their stance on this matter just a few years ago.

Example:

(Sorry for the weird bar code thing in the corner; it is explained in the comments by the uploader that this is there because it is being mirrored from another website. Hopefully it doesn't distract too much from the point of the video.)

My wife said an interesting thing to me, and that was that if our prophet knew that Jesus was angry or not pleased, it means that there was a discussion between our prophet and Jesus Christ. Jesus had tried before to correct this abuse, but whether the prophets did not get the seriousness of the moment or the people were not listening to the prophet, I do not know, but President Nelson made it perfectly clear that we are abusing the name of his church. I have chosen to use the shorter version, the Church of Jesus Christ.

Moreso than not taking it seriously, an observant person would ask why they went ahead with a propaganda film for your religion called Meet the Mormons as recently as four years ago. What were your leaders up to then, if it is true that realizing that Christ is angry about this issue means that they had been in personal contact with Him? Were they just not in personal contact with Him four years ago...? That's a bit unnerving, if you truly believe these people are prophets with an assumed insight into what God wants and does not want.

If that is true then change your name to the Church of Jesus Christ of Oriental Orthodoxy. That would be a wise choice.

Orthodoxy is the faith that is established on His teachings and acts as testified to by His disciple St. Mark the Apostle in the land of Egypt during the first century AD. As such, to say "Orthodox Church" regardless of anything else that may go with it ('Oriental' Orthodoxy is a concession to the fact that we are not the only communion that claims to hold to the Orthodox faith of our fathers; the name of the Church in its own Coptic language is just "the Egyptian Orthodox Church", with no further qualifiers: Tiekklesia Enremnkimi Enorthodoxos) is to already proclaim that we are the Church of Jesus Christ, as nothing else but the pure teachings and salvation of Lord has been brought to us, and we are interested in preserving and furthering nothing but this.

But now that you mention it, the popular version of the Coptic Cross (which is the symbol of our particular Church throughout the world) does say this explicitly, as it is right to say:

Coptic%20Cross%20Image.png

Around the cross in Coptic: Iisous Pekhristos Epshiri Emefnouti, which means "Jesus Christ, the Son of God". As this is our cross specifically -- every church has their own version that is connected to their history and culture -- we are explicitly identifying ourselves and our Church with Jesus Christ, the Son of God and our belief in Him.

There are many places still there predating JS. For instance Kamorah is still there

Where can I find information on the pre-JS history of what your religion calls Cumorah? When I searched for it just now, I just came up with the Mormon narratives about it. Even on supposedly impartial sites like Wikipedia.

and Lamani is a ruins that is still there and these have been there since BOM days.

You mean Lamanai, the archaeological site in Belize? Obviously that is not "Lamani", and in any case it comes from Yucatec Maya, which is in no way genetically related to any Afro-Asiatic language...so that kinda shoots it being evidence for the BOM, doesn't it? It's not even really coincidence, since that's not its actual name. That's just another instance of Mormons claiming something that is 'close enough' for their apologetic purposes to be evidence of what they claim it is. But it's not evidence. It's not anything. You have nothing. Yucatec Maya is not 'Reformed Egyptian', Lamanai is not Lamani, the Hill Cumorah is a tourist trap, and this is all just really sad.

There are many more.

Name two more. (I assume one will be 'Nahom', which I've already dealt with a million times, so I want something else to work with. please.)

So it is with great wisdom that the Lord has saved anything to bring forth in our time about anything from the BOM peoples from an archaeological standpoint. There is, however, evidences that still tell us that these people existed

Where? Where is this evidence?

but our faith that they existed is the most important thing.

But when it is faith in spite of evidence, you are just lying to yourselves and everyone else. If we know better, like how we now know with scientific precision via DNA tests that no Semitic people ever inhabited the pre-Columbian Americas, and you still choose to believe something else because your faith says you should, then go ahead and do that. Just don't pretend that you have evidence that you don't have or reality is anything other than what it is. Stick to faith claims only and stop pretending that your religion is supported by real world evidence when it isn't.

Faith is the true building block of being saved by Jesus Christs, and faith is what we must have with regards to the BOM lands. It is nice, however, to discover something that belongs to these people and support our faith. Such as, it has now been discovered in a deep well, the jawbone of a horse, dated to BOM times. A regular sized horse jawbone, not 15,000 years old, but 2,000 years old, and before Columbus landed in the Americas. So it was nice to have little pieces of evidence crop up once in a while to support our faith.

I don't know anything about the horse jaw bone that you are talking about, but again, this is an interpretation that supports your faith according to people who already believe in it, just like how you've apparently latched on to Mesoamerican ruins that say nothing one way or another about the BOM as some supposed 'evidence' of its veracity. What good does a horse bone do? It may revise the dating of pre-Columbian horses in the Americas, but it doesn't magically make these giant civilizations of Nephites and Lamanites who supposedly killed each other by the thousands suddenly appear in the historical record out of nowhere.

Unless the BOM's historicity stands and falls on the existence of horses in the pre-Columbian Americas (read: unless that is literally the only problem with the narrative), you are stretching things like this beyond what a reasonable person could conceivably consider as evidence. It's pure confirmation bias and nothing else. Were you not a Mormon, you'd look at it as a jaw bone and nothing to get enthused about.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
OK, with all this speculation, tell me you know exactly where Eden is and a river that ran out of it and split into 4 rivers, 2 of them compassing 2 different lands. Compassing means that the rivers were around the perimeter of the lands.

IOW you could not show me such a configuration. That is why this Eden has a ? by it, because nobody can show me where Eden is and the river configurations as written in Genesis.

But thank you for the good try, it is fun to speculate about Eden.

No one knows where Eden was---certainly not JS---Missouri??? The closest anyone can get to it is the area in the Middle east---which is where everything else in the bible takes place. There was a underground imaging that was showing a possible old river under the present day Tigris that was even more compelling and I can't find that report. But then, I also could have the name of that river wrong--stinks getting old and loosing your memory!! Anyway---can you please show the map of the place in Missouri that corresponds to what the bible says about Eden? where are those rivers called Euphrates and Tigris in Missouri? Where is this configuration of rivers that even vaguely matches the description in the bible? Then you agree that JS was also speculating about Eden?---JS put no question mark by Eden's location---he said Missouri.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Solomon Smith

Sep 25, 2018
Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The Church of Jesus Christ is 18,000,000 people strong, how large is your congregation?

There are 1.5 Billion Muslims and 1.2 Billion Roman Catholics; so what’s your point???

Large does not equal correct.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Solomon Smith

Sep 25, 2018
Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Did you use a muslim deflection to get away from the size of your congregation discussion, and the Bible definition of Christian?

God often has a remnant of true followers who are very few. Jesus said, “few are chosen”. So a small congregation could be a very good thing if those members are part of the remnant of God’s elect.

Upvote 0

Solomon Smith

Sep 25, 2018
Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
That is not what the Bible tells us. So get your definition correct from the Bible, not from your pastor with a flock of 400.

The official stance of CF is that Mormons are not Christians.

The Bible actually tells me that Joseph Smith is a false prophet and to disregard him.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Not one single argument you've put forward so far is anything new, either to me or to most of the Mormons who still post here. And if we tell you that a source isn't considered to be credible, it's because we've dealt with that source in the past, sometimes personally.
Including historians from your own church. Church + Historian are never used in the same sentence by you (or the other LDS). At least, back in the day before I took a sabbatical from CF. Maybe in the more recent history that's changed. We can only hope.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
No one knows where Eden was---certainly not JS---Missouri??? The closest anyone can get to it is the area in the Middle east---which is where everything else in the bible takes place. There was a underground imaging that was showing a possible old river under the present day Tigris that was even more compelling and I can't find that report. But then, I also could have the name of that river wrong--stinks getting old and loosing your memory!! Anyway---can you please show the map of the place in Missouri that corresponds to what the bible says about Eden? where are those rivers called Euphrates and Tigris in Missouri? Where is this configuration of rivers that even vaguely matches the description in the bible? Then you agree that JS was also speculating about Eden?---JS put no question mark by Eden's location---he said Missouri.
That is how a prophet of God declares revelations received from God. If he put a question mark by it, he would be suspect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The official stance of CF is that Mormons are not Christians.

The Bible actually tells me that Joseph Smith is a false prophet and to disregard him.

Oh, quote me the chapter and verse that the name JS appears in the bible? Good luck.

I have to agree to agree with them about the policy, which I will follow, but I humbly submit, I believe the bible disagrees with CF.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Oh, quote me the chapter and verse that the name JS appears in the bible? Good luck.

I have to agree to agree with them about the policy, which I will follow, but I humbly submit, I believe the bible disagrees with CF.
Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The LDS Church traces its founding to April 6, 1830, when Joseph Smith and five other men formally established the Church of Christ.[1][2] The church was known by this name from 1830 to 1834.[3][4]

In the 1830s, the fact that a number of U.S. churches, including some Congregational churches and Restoration Movement churches, also used the name "Church of Christ" caused a considerable degree of confusion.[4] In May 1834, the church adopted a resolution that the church would be known thereafter as "The Church of the Latter Day Saints".[4][5] At various times the church was also referred to as "The Church of Jesus Christ",[6] "The Church of God",[6] and "The Church of Christ of Latter Day Saints".[3][4]

...In 1876, the LDS Church issued a new edition of the Doctrine and Covenants, which contains the text of significant revelations received by Joseph Smith. In this new edition—the first revision since before Smith's death—the capitalization and hyphenation of the church's name in the 1838 revelation to Smith was changed to reflect the name format the church had since adopted...
Name of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Wikipedia

Upvote 0