• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

carrico

May 5, 2019
TN
✟31,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Y'all, I feel so yucky today. I believe I have OCD, but I go untreated. I went on Lexapro back in March 2017 and went off of it May 2019. I really wanted to go 2 years without meds, but I think I might end up calling my doctor here in a few minutes to go back on the meds. I think the winter might lead to some anxiety triggers. I have so much on my mind all the time. I keep so strong. I have been fighting a rough battle for the past 10 years. I think I might want to seek a psychiatrist rather than a family doctor. My dad always made these nasty comments as a kid that I needed a shrink, but he never offered any help to what he saw wrong, but that was my dad. Everything was wrong with me. He was upset that I was freaked out by things that moved such as dogs and bugs- you know, basics that many kids were afraid of. Bugs are just nasty to me today, a thirty year old woman.

I also have PMDD and got my monthly cycle. PMDD (a very hormonal thing) really causes some issues and it seems like the OCD tendencies really flare up during that time. A lot of it centered around God, salvation, living right, repentance, etc- all kinda negative things. Also, a lot of different emotions- not sad, but feeling down, rage, emptiness, and thoughts of dying or suicide, but I have ZERO plans for that. Suicidal throughs are apparently a symptom of PMDD. Other than that, I don't really want to die. I have plans on living when these 10-12 days a month goes on with itself. I hang in there like a hair in a biscuit, guys, I really do. I just pray with all of my might. I am asking for prayers too. I just feel like I need to seek counseling and a temporary anti-depressant. I hate it when I feel like this in the winter. I really do. I hate to take it because I gained so much weight before and I haven't lost it.

Please pray that my 2021 goals can happen: seeking help, losing weight even if it's 1 lb a month, reading the Bible more, and reading some good, Christian lit (suggestions welcomed). Thanks for always being on my side here guys. The past 10 years have been really hard and emotional. I am always emotional!!

Alabaster Grace

Brad and Joanie
Dec 27, 2020
Virginia
Visit site
✟15,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Y'all, I feel so yucky today. I believe I have OCD, but I go untreated. I went on Lexapro back in March 2017 and went off of it May 2019. I really wanted to go 2 years without meds, but I think I might end up calling my doctor here in a few minutes to go back on the meds. I think the winter might lead to some anxiety triggers. I have so much on my mind all the time. I keep so strong. I have been fighting a rough battle for the past 10 years. I think I might want to seek a psychiatrist rather than a family doctor. My dad always made these nasty comments as a kid that I needed a shrink, but he never offered any help to what he saw wrong, but that was my dad. Everything was wrong with me. He was upset that I was freaked out by things that moved such as dogs and bugs- you know, basics that many kids were afraid of. Bugs are just nasty to me today, a thirty year old woman.

I also have PMDD and got my monthly cycle. PMDD (a very hormonal thing) really causes some issues and it seems like the OCD tendencies really flare up during that time. A lot of it centered around God, salvation, living right, repentance, etc- all kinda negative things. Also, a lot of different emotions- not sad, but feeling down, rage, emptiness, and thoughts of dying or suicide, but I have ZERO plans for that. Suicidal throughs are apparently a symptom of PMDD. Other than that, I don't really want to die. I have plans on living when these 10-12 days a month goes on with itself. I hang in there like a hair in a biscuit, guys, I really do. I just pray with all of my might. I am asking for prayers too. I just feel like I need to seek counseling and a temporary anti-depressant. I hate it when I feel like this in the winter. I really do. I hate to take it because I gained so much weight before and I haven't lost it.

Please pray that my 2021 goals can happen: seeking help, losing weight even if it's 1 lb a month, reading the Bible more, and reading some good, Christian lit (suggestions welcomed). Thanks for always being on my side here guys. The past 10 years have been really hard and emotional. I am always emotional!!
Thank you for being so transparent. We will be praying for you that God will bring you relief and comfort - that you would experience the supernatural presence of the One who loves you so much. If it is alright with you, we would like to share some of our songs that we put into a YouTube playlist:
Alabaster Grace Songs of Healing YouTube Playlist
The Lord bless you and keep you!

• Friendly
Reactions: carrico
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would suggest seeking help from a professional rather than gathering advice from all and sundry.

My standard advice for OCD suffers is to read:-https://iocdf.org/expert-opinions/25-tips-for-ocd-treatment/
And to talk to their doctor/therapist about it.

Upvote 0

Alabaster Grace

Brad and Joanie
Dec 27, 2020
Virginia
Visit site
✟15,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would suggest seeking help from a professional rather than gathering advice from all and sundry.

My standard advice for OCD suffers is to read:-https://iocdf.org/expert-opinions/25-tips-for-ocd-treatment/
And to talk to their doctor/therapist about it.
We absolutely agree. Just offering the playlist for peace.

Upvote 0

Dendy

Nov 30, 2014
✟19,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hey. Bless your heart. I know how you feel. I have no quality of life without my medication. I would be a raving lunatic without it. For my OCD a SSRI drug has really helped. I would definitely see a doctor asap. You deserve to feel much much better!!!!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thank you for sharing! I know how awful it can be to struggle with OCD. I've had OCD (mostly religious OCD/scrupulosity) for most of my life. I've never gotten professional help for it either, but I've learned a lot about it (and try to apply what I learn!), and that has helped SO MUCH. If you look for a therapist, CBT (specifically ERP) therapy is the way to go for OCD. I've found so many helpful websites in my research about OCD, so if you want some suggestions, just let me know! The great thing about OCD is that it is very treatable, so there's lots of hope for learning how to manage it!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

May the LORD bless you with an awesome and fulfilling 2021!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Carrico,
Fill your thoughts with words from God. It has helped me. Surely, it will help you.

Meditate Psalm 25 ; Psalm 32; Psalm 130 ; Psalm 103 ; Isaiah 55.

May God’s peace be with you.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

carrico

May 5, 2019
TN
✟31,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey. Bless your heart. I know how you feel. I have no quality of life without my medication. I would be a raving lunatic without it. For my OCD a SSRI drug has really helped. I would definitely see a doctor asap. You deserve to feel much much better!!!!

Thank you! I went back on the medicine and it really helped this past month with the PMDD! I was also with less monthly pain and sick feeling too. I just hate the hormonal issues. Apparently it's more common than what I thought. OCD- not too sure if I have it or not. Seems very mild. I hope to seek help with it. It seems to have a theme. I haven't noticed it affecting everything, just some of the anxiety I get with it. Prayers for you too!

*Thanks everyone!

Reactions: Mari17
Upvote 0

carrico

May 5, 2019
TN
✟31,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for sharing! I know how awful it can be to struggle with OCD. I've had OCD (mostly religious OCD/scrupulosity) for most of my life. I've never gotten professional help for it either, but I've learned a lot about it (and try to apply what I learn!), and that has helped SO MUCH. If you look for a therapist, CBT (specifically ERP) therapy is the way to go for OCD. I've found so many helpful websites in my research about OCD, so if you want some suggestions, just let me know! The great thing about OCD is that it is very treatable, so there's lots of hope for learning how to manage it!

I just got this workbook called Jesus and OCD. I think I am going to try it first. Thank you for your kind words.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dendy

Nov 30, 2014
✟19,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you! I went back on the medicine and it really helped this past month with the PMDD! I was also with less monthly pain and sick feeling too. I just hate the hormonal issues. Apparently it's more common than what I thought. OCD- not too sure if I have it or not. Seems very mild. I hope to seek help with it. It seems to have a theme. I haven't noticed it affecting everything, just some of the anxiety I get with it. Prayers for you too!

*Thanks everyone!
You're very welcome. Thank you for the prayers! I hope you feel so much better real soon!

• Friendly
Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0