• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Mar 20, 2016
TN
✟8,471.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just out of curiosity, did something happen that made you feel the need to punish yourself?

For what it's worth Colossians 2:23, Paul warns against practices that appear righteous but lack true spiritual value. He mentions things like "self-abasement" or self-imposed humility.
It was done as a means of using one fear to overpower the other. With OCD most know their fears are not realistic, but the fears are still present. I discovered if I used another means to challenge the fear though a greater fear from a vow I could get past the first fear, it just ended up spiraling

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2016
TN
✟8,471.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@LookingForward1, you cannot argue yourself out of OCD any more than you can argue yourself out of a bacterial infection.
  1. If you have not done so already, get a psychiatrist (not just a psychologist).
  2. Visit a church that is good at dealing with mental illnesses.
You’re not wrong, ironically I work in the mental health field, the ideal approach is usually exposure response prevention. I wouldn’t mind finding other forms of support though not sure about how much it would cost

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You’re not wrong, ironically I work in the mental health field, the ideal approach is usually exposure response prevention. I wouldn’t mind finding other forms of support though not sure about how much it would cost
Maybe as a natural strategy --which is an okay starting point-- but do you believe supernatural healing to be a valid ministry within the Church? The churches that I recommended practice such a ministry.

Upvote 0

Mike Kh

Feb 12, 2024
California
✟311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’ve been diagnosed with OCD at an early age and struggled with it all my life. In high school I started to develop a category of OCD referred to as scrupulosity which usually has to do with intrusive thoughts of selling my soul to the devil if I do something or buy something I want. For example I might want to buy something and have the thought “I’d sell my soul for that” at which point I wouldn’t buy it out of fear. This also branched out to everyday actions and redoing things. At some point years later maybe in college, I discovered I could counteract the fear of selling my soul by making a vow to God to punish myself if I engaged in the first fear. For example I might have a fear that if I do a specific action I’ll sell my soul or agree to sell my soul, then to counteract this I’d make a vow to God stating if I don’t do specific action then I won’t let myself engage in some activity I enjoy for some period of time, or in extreme cases I’ll ban myself from certain things completely. As time went on the selling my soul fear dissipated to some degree but the vows became more and more common and more and more extreme in response to other anxiety to the point I’d say/think “God please hold me accountable to this vow” and proceed to say that if I do or don’t do something then I’ll ban myself from certain hobbies I enjoy for months at a time. This has led to recent struggles in which I made a vow to ban myself from hobbies of mine (exercise and/or gaming which I do to spend time with a friend and destress) for several months. I had anxiety about a situation then vowed and asked to be held accountable that if I failed to do something or did something then I wouldn’t exercise/workout for some timeframe of 1-3 months. I ended up accidentally breaking the vow and I also have other vows I’m struggling with trying to determine if I broke them or not as well. I understand the concept of grace but at the same time I feel like if I do not punish myself I would be engaging in willful sin and essentially saying I value these things more than being with God and I worry about being condemned to hell if I fail to fulfill the vows. Furthermore I see it as a daily repeating sin every day that I fail to not start the punishment since I vowed to not engage in the hobbies for a certain time and this breaks the vow every day I don’t start the punishment. Even when praying about it I’ve had thoughts pop in my head saying “do it” in regards to fulfilling the vows which add more anxiety. I would appreciate thoughts on the matter. I do receive medication for the anxiety but I still struggle. Apologies for the long paragraph I just wanted to add as much context as I can.
Hi - this all sounds exactly like OCD. There are several great resources for dealing with OCD as a Christian and I'd like to share them here. (This is my first post - if I break any rules by doing this, please let me know.) Mark DeJesus (MarkDeJesus.com), Jaimie Eckert (scrupulosity.com), and Dr Ian Osborn (OCDandChristianity.com) are the best resources in my opinion. Dr Osborn is a Christian, OCD sufferer and Christian. Also, I recently published a book called "Waging War Against OCD - A Christian Approach to Victory." You can see more details at WagingWarAgainstOCD.com

Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not many outside of a few people I know, the vows actually spiraled to the point I couldn’t really keep track of them which ironically helped me let them go and not take them seriously. Outside of one new one that is slightly different from past ones
OCD can be so tough to deal with! I have had scrupulosity most of my life, and have dealt with quite a few different themes. I am happy to share some of the resources that have helped me, if you would like!

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2016
TN
✟8,471.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe as a natural strategy --which is an okay starting point-- but do you believe supernatural healing to be a valid ministry within the Church? The churches that I recommended practice such a ministry.
I cannot say I’ve been to a church that practices that.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2016
TN
✟8,471.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi - this all sounds exactly like OCD. There are several great resources for dealing with OCD as a Christian and I'd like to share them here. (This is my first post - if I break any rules by doing this, please let me know.) Mark DeJesus (MarkDeJesus.com), Jaimie Eckert (scrupulosity.com), and Dr Ian Osborn (OCDandChristianity.com) are the best resources in my opinion. Dr Osborn is a Christian, OCD sufferer and Christian. Also, I recently published a book called "Waging War Against OCD - A Christian Approach to Victory." You can see more details at WagingWarAgainstOCD.com
Appreciate the resources

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2016
TN
✟8,471.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OCD can be so tough to deal with! I have had scrupulosity most of my life, and have dealt with quite a few different themes. I am happy to share some of the resources that have helped me, if you would like!
I am open to resources and would appreciate it

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am open to resources and would appreciate it
I'm sorry about my late response! Here are some resources about scrupulosity, specifically:
Blog - Scrupulosity.com
Mental Health - ACCFS
Breaking Free of OCD: My Battle With Mental Pain and How God Rescued Me by Jeff Wells
Strivings Within - The OCD Christian: Overcoming Doubt in the Storm of Anxiety by Mitzi VanCleve
And a couple of general OCD resources:
The Noise In Your Head - 6 Episode Video Series – Anxieties.com
Overcome OCD: Recovery tips for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
And a private Facebook support group for Christians with mental health struggles: Log into Facebook

How have you been doing lately?

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2016
TN
✟8,471.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry about my late response! Here are some resources about scrupulosity, specifically:
Blog - Scrupulosity.com
Mental Health - ACCFS
Breaking Free of OCD: My Battle With Mental Pain and How God Rescued Me by Jeff Wells
Strivings Within - The OCD Christian: Overcoming Doubt in the Storm of Anxiety by Mitzi VanCleve
And a couple of general OCD resources:
The Noise In Your Head - 6 Episode Video Series – Anxieties.com
Overcome OCD: Recovery tips for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
And a private Facebook support group for Christians with mental health struggles: Log into Facebook

How have you been doing lately?
Thank you for the info, I spoke with someone who actually spoke at our church who understands both scripture and mental health and from his perspective I need to just let it go. That is what I am trying to do, I also apologize for responding late I have not logged in for awhile.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the info, I spoke with someone who actually spoke at our church who understands both scripture and mental health and from his perspective I need to just let it go. That is what I am trying to do, I also apologize for responding late I have not logged in for awhile.
I'm glad you could talk to someone who understands! I hope that you continue to get better. Please feel free to reach out at any time!

Upvote 0