Not open for further replies.

EspritLibre89

Jul 13, 2006
✟8,000.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
ok I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but....

I want to organize my church's teen youth group (this will be my last year in it). It had started a few years ago but it was always weak and just never really pulled together. Right now it's pretty much nonexistent. But now that we have a good number of teens and I've heard that people are interested in it starting up again, I've been thinking about taking an active part in getting it back together.
Does anyone have any ideas about what to include in organization? Any advice on this subject would be helpful :)

EspritLibre89

Jul 13, 2006
✟8,000.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We have an annual youth retreat to the monastary that is about an hour away from our church, which works out really well.

But I was thinking more on terms of weekly/every other week meetings, something more regular to keep us better connected.

Of course community service projects would be great to get involved with as a group, I'll have to look into what's around locally...

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Talk to your priest to see if he is willing to lead bible study. Talk to hte ppl at ocf.net for more ideas on fellowship groups, b/c they're pretty good at it:)

Pray together, play together, and work together, and it will be a success no matter what you do.

Upvote 0

Lotar

Swift Eagle Justice
Feb 27, 2003
Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My experience is that while Bible studies, pilgrimages, volunteer work, ect. is all good, if you want people to get involved, it needs to be fun.

90% of the time the group should be focused on doing fun things or just hanging out together. Build a bond so that the group becomes close, then you can move on to the more meaningfull stuff and have active participation.

Also, make sure to have a second in charge to take your place next year.

Upvote 0

NyssaTheHobbit

Orthodox Christian (chrismation date 1/10/09)
May 24, 2006
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟9,617.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
After some things I've read on Orthodox forums (that the Early Church did not have youth groups but teenagers willing to die for Christ etc.), I wondered if the Orthodox had youth groups. :) What are they usually like?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.