Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ah, blasphemy. Gotta love it. Anyway, I guess you aren't very interested in debating the issue. Must be because you know that your side of the debate has no substance. I'm fine with just leaving it at that.
Fine with me, as I say it isn't debatable, Jesus was and is very real.
As for Jesus, and evolution, He is pretty clear where we came from. Let's not pretend.
Mat 19:4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

How about Cain?
Joh 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning,
Or the world killed in the flood of Noah?
Mat 24:37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, 39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away;

It is clear, the New Testament, Jesus, and the old testament talk of real things about creation, and our history.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AV...: Seems ok. Also has kind of a penchant for quips though, with some pushing, he's willing to provide more info.
Most important argument: The earth, though only created 6,000 years ago, is billions of years old.
For lack of a better term, I call that "embedded age creation."

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AV is my favorite, of course.

Gottservant was a close second.
I always liked Gottservant's threads.

This one's a classic:
...what if the one evolved creature that ever did something purely for your sake was to you so technically beneath you that you never adapted to the good that person did?

...what if it so happened that people caught on that calling someone who did absolutely the most the could for you "beneath you" was actually a violent form of hate, a black and threatening hate against which survival instinct naturally cut?

...what if the future came about that all those like you were isolated, trapped, subverted or passively euthanased because the threat perceived in hating - with accusations and wilful corruption - those that resisted that hate was perceived to be less existentially viable as a survival good than the greater evolved good of evolved social harmony?

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Also, I define it as: maturity without history.
It does genuinely puzzle me that someone who is a Young Earth Creationist is so fond of resurrecting very old threads. Seems ironic.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It does genuinely puzzle me that someone who is a Young Earth Creationist is so fond of resurrecting very old threads. Seems ironic.
I'm not a YEC per se.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I realize most folks in this forum are evolutionists so I'm gonna give a shout out to the punching bags!!!

A kind of informal poll because I'm sure I'd miss some.

The four bigguns.
John67...or whatever number it was.
dadAV11E5????...."
supersport

John67...nice enough guy...completely misguided and a bit stubborn. Engaging....seems to take SOME time to respond.
Most important argument:Evolution is wrong today because ______

dad...ok. Unfortunately, his answers are all one line quips. It's difficult to take someone seriously when he can only explain his theory in Haiku form:
The universe changed
It's not like how it was before
Tree rings are for dweebs

Most important argument: You can't prove the past was the same...vis a vis...it was different.

AV...: Seems ok. Also has kind of a penchant for quips though, with some pushing, he's willing to provide more info.
Most important argument: The earth, though only created 6,000 years ago, is billions of years old.

supersport The most frightening for a combination of reasons. He's verbose (in his thread starting post), but can't control his tongue; He knows what the words "evolution" and "selected" mean, he just doesn't know how to apply, or use them in daily communications; He thinks he knows a lot more than he does.

Most important argument: "Evolution is wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong [argument raised against him].........silence........."wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong."

So, time for the awards:
Most convincing argument: That's a tough call. I'd have to give it to dad....though that doesn't say much
Strangest argument: AV....sorry man....I'm not sure many people will be able to grasp that stuff.
Best person to actually discuss a topic with:AV. The others (with the exception of dad) give up to easy...and dad is too quippy.
Least Convincing argument: supersport. Not because his arguments are not convincing but because his wording is confusing, his point is hazy (IF he has one), he is verbose and abusive, and is completely unwilling to back up his own position. and his arguments are not convincing.
Guy you'd wanna have a beer and talk shop with:
TBA

Bet you contributed a smidgen to thumb evolution tapping out that post.

One day perhaps the holy grail will appear, an anti-evolutionist who lives in a tree, forgoes the uses of fire and cultivates a nice shiny coat of body hair.

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,873.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
"
Josephus

Josephus was a Jewish historian who was born in either 37 or 38 AD and died some time after 100 AD. He wrote the Jewish Antiquites and in one famous passage described Jesus as a wise man, a doer of wonderful works and calls him the Christ. He also affirmed that Jesus was executed by Pilate and actually rose from the dead!"
http://www.sowhataboutjesus.com/existed.php
An example of the early records.
Whoops! Sorry to disappoint you.

"Our initial witness makes a contribution of a unique sort inasmuch as he had no intention of making Christianity to appear genuine. To the contrary, Thallus, a Samaritan-born historian who lived and worked in Rome about A.D. 52, wrote to offset the supernatural element which accompanied the crucifixion. Though the writings of Thallus are lost to us, Julius Africanus, a Christian chronographer of the late second century, was familiar with them and quotes from them. In a comment on the darkness that fell upon the land during the crucifixion (Mark 15:33), Africanus says that "Thallus, in the third book of his histories, explains away this darkness as an eclipse of the sun."(3) Africanus stated his objection to the report arguing that an eclipse of the sun cannot occur during the full moon, as was the case when Jesus died at Passover time. The force of the reference to Thallus is that the circumstances of Jesus' death were known and discussed in the Imperial City as early as the middle of the first century. The fact of Jesus' crucifixion must have been fairly well known by that time, to the extent that unbelievers like Thallus thought it necessary to explain the matter of the darkness as a natural phenomenon. "
Welcome scripturessay.com - BlueHost.com

I claim to be an historian. My approach to Classics is historical. And I tell you that the evidence for the life, the death, and the resurrection of Christ is better authenticated than most of the facts of ancient history . . .
E. M. Blaiklock
Professor of Classics
Auckland University
Evidence for the Resurrection
And on it goes. It isn't debatable.

In fact Jesus is my favorite anti evolutionist!

There actually was an eclipse of the Sun on 24th November, 29 AD. It was total along a line from Denmark, through Romania, Bulgaria, central Turkey, Syria, western Iraq and the Gulf, and India. There was a large partial eclipse (magnitude 0.918) in Jerusalem, where the eclipse lasted from about 09h35m to 12h25m local time. Perhaps a few decades after the crucifixion and the eclipse, when the gospels came to be written, their authors conflated the two events and thought that they had taken place at the same time.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There actually was an eclipse of the Sun on 24th November, 29 AD. It was total along a line from Denmark, through Romania, Bulgaria, central Turkey, Syria, western Iraq and the Gulf, and India. There was a large partial eclipse (magnitude 0.918) in Jerusalem, where the eclipse lasted from about 09h35m to 12h25m local time. Perhaps a few decades after the crucifixion and the eclipse, when the gospels came to be written, their authors conflated the two events and thought that they had taken place at the same time.
dad has not been here for quite some time. But another point about eclipses of the Sun, even back then they knew that solar eclipses occur during the New Moon and the crucifixion occurred during the Full Moon. An eclipse at the totally wrong time would have been recorded even in those days.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
dad has not been here for quite some time. But another point about eclipses of the Sun, even back then they knew that solar eclipses occur during the New Moon and the crucifixion occurred during the Full Moon. An eclipse at the totally wrong time would have been recorded even in those days.
Mark 15:33 And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.

This is not describing a partial solar eclipse.

Nor a total solar eclipse, which never lasts more than about seven and a half minutes.

Do you know what they saw, when they looked up into the dark sky?

Aries, the Lamb of God, slain from the foundation of the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Mark 15:33 And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.

This is not describing a partial solar eclipse.

Nor a total solar eclipse, which never lasts more than about seven and a half minutes.

Do you know what they saw, when they looked up into the dark sky?

Aries, the Lamb of God, slain from the foundation of the world.
Correct, it appears to be something that never happened.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Correct, it appears to be something that never happened.
And let me guess:

If Jesus took you back in time and showed you, you'd accuse Him of being deceptive, wouldn't you?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
And let me guess:

If Jesus took you back in time and showed you, you'd accuse Him of being deceptive, wouldn't you?
No, if I was provided valid evidence I would accept it. That is what an honest person does. That you accuse me of doing what you do here so often is not a good sign. There is a reason that we always ask for evidence. Evidence is how we can tell the difference between things that actually happened or things that did not. We follow the evidence. You follow a personal belief. Your beliefs are not even the beliefs of most Christians.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Again let me guess.

Because I get accused of being a YEC, and YECs are a dying breed?
No, because you believe in events that we know that did not happen. One can use the stories as morality tales, allegory, or fable, but not history.

Upvote 0