Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Speaking at a National Republican Congressional Committee dinner Tuesday, the president attacked wind turbines, calling them a "graveyard for birds" and saying they lower property values.

"And they say the noise causes cancer," Trump told NRCC members.

Sen. Charles Grassley on Wednesday called Trump's cancer claim "idiotic."

Reynolds on Wednesday addressed the president's remarks with reporters by touting the positive role wind energy plays in the state, but declined to say whether she thinks wind turbines can cause cancer.

"That's not my place," she said.

There's no evidence to suggest cancer and wind farms are linked.

“They’re made in China and Germany mostly,” Trump said of wind turbines, of which there are more than 57,000 across the US, according to the American Wind Energy Association.
‘I never understood wind’: Trump goes on bizarre tirade against wind turbines

Probably not the smartest thing to say in a state where several major manufacturers are making wind turbine parts and structures:

A number of companies involved in the windpower industry have office or manufacturing facilities in Iowa. Blades for wind turbines are manufactured in Newton by TPI Composites and in Fort Madison by Siemens. Towers are also manufactured in Newton by Trinity Structural Towers. Companies manufacturing other parts for wind turbines are located in Iowa as well.[35][36]

In addition to manufacturing, various companies support the development of wind power projects.[35] The wind power industry employs 9,000 to 10,000 people in Iowa.[3] Over $16 billion has been invested in Iowa's wind power projects and manufacturing facilities. [3]

In late September 2007, Siemens Power Generation opened its new wind turbine blade factory in Fort Madison, on the banks of the Mississippi River. The factory can produce more than 2000 blades annually.[37] A plant expansion in 2008 brought the facility up to nearly 600,000 square feet, up from 310,000. The facility manufactures 148-foot (45 m)-long, 12-ton blades for the company's 2.3-MW wind turbines installed in the United States.[38]

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the president attacked wind turbines, calling them a "graveyard for birds"
Older turbines were deadly to birds, as they spun so fast it was hard to see the blades. The newer, larger turbines spin slow enough that most birds can avoid them.

Farmers in the Midwest get a lot of money leasing land to turbines.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Speaking at a National Republican Congressional Committee dinner Tuesday, the president attacked wind turbines, calling them a "graveyard for birds" and saying they lower property values.

"And they say the noise causes cancer," Trump told NRCC members.

Sen. Charles Grassley on Wednesday called Trump's cancer claim "idiotic."

Reynolds on Wednesday addressed the president's remarks with reporters by touting the positive role wind energy plays in the state, but declined to say whether she thinks wind turbines can cause cancer.

"That's not my place," she said.

There's no evidence to suggest cancer and wind farms are linked.

“They’re made in China and Germany mostly,” Trump said of wind turbines, of which there are more than 57,000 across the US, according to the American Wind Energy Association.
‘I never understood wind’: Trump goes on bizarre tirade against wind turbines

Probably not the smartest thing to say in a state where several major manufacturers are making wind turbine parts and structures:

A number of companies involved in the windpower industry have office or manufacturing facilities in Iowa. Blades for wind turbines are manufactured in Newton by TPI Composites and in Fort Madison by Siemens. Towers are also manufactured in Newton by Trinity Structural Towers. Companies manufacturing other parts for wind turbines are located in Iowa as well.[35][36]

In addition to manufacturing, various companies support the development of wind power projects.[35] The wind power industry employs 9,000 to 10,000 people in Iowa.[3] Over $16 billion has been invested in Iowa's wind power projects and manufacturing facilities. [3]

In late September 2007, Siemens Power Generation opened its new wind turbine blade factory in Fort Madison, on the banks of the Mississippi River. The factory can produce more than 2000 blades annually.[37] A plant expansion in 2008 brought the facility up to nearly 600,000 square feet, up from 310,000. The facility manufactures 148-foot (45 m)-long, 12-ton blades for the company's 2.3-MW wind turbines installed in the United States.[38]

I remember my Spanish Lit class discussing the meaning of "tilting at windmills" while reading Don Quixote. What immediately came to mind was how Donald Trump sued the Scottish government over their windmills, which he raged against as an aesthetic blight for his golfers. He fabricated elaborate nonsense as part of his tilting at those windmills. We started referring to Trump as Don Trump Quixote, haha.

Trump Organization ordered to pay $290,000 after losing battle against Scottish wind farm

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The NIMBY resistance is being heard.....

Actually that's quite common what's good for the goose is good for the gander doesn't apply when it comes to monstrosities like wind farms. On top of that folks are finding out they aren't "all that", there was one alongside I70 real close to the Arlington exit for about 6 years. When the bottom dropped out of electrical rates in that area the wind farm dropped too, it's now just an open field again and the birds are so much safer.

• Informative
Reactions: creslaw
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I remember my Spanish Lit class discussing the meaning of "tilting at windmills" while reading Don Quixote. What immediately came to mind was how Donald Trump sued the Scottish government over their windmills, which he raged against as an aesthetic blight for his golfers. He fabricated elaborate nonsense as part of his tilting at those windmills. We started referring to Trump as Don Trump Quixote, haha.

Trump Organization ordered to pay $290,000 after losing battle against Scottish wind farm

Glad that he not only lost his ignorant & selfish lawsuit but had to pay the government.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I bet the Obama's will never have a wind farm in their view at their Martha's Vineyard home.....
wow...it only took 3 posts before someone brought up President Obama in a thread about President Trump.
tulc(that was...unexpected...) :yawn:

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But not able to refute, huh?
uhmmm...do you have proof there were plans to build turbines and President Obama got it stopped? Because so far what I saw was someone posted a thread about (with a link in support of it): "President Trump attacks wind turbines!" and someone else posted "I'll bet President Obama wont have any wind turbines around him!" (without any links to show that had happened) If you can point out anything in that post (which is just you expressing an opinion) that needs to be refuted (since opinions are like noses, everyone has one and is free to pick their own) I'll certainly see if it can/can't be refuted or not. Otherwise? It's just someone bringing up President Obama in a thread about President Trump. :wave:
tulc(here's a link that might help: Hitchens's razor - Wikipedia )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
uhmmm...do you have proof there were plans to build turbines and President Obama got it stopped? Because so far what I saw was someone posted a thread about (with a link in support of it): "President Trump attacks wind turbines!" and someone else posted "I'll bet President Obama wont have any wind turbines around him!" (without any links to show that had happened) If you can point out anything in that post (which is just you expressing an opinion) that needs to be refuted (since opinions are like noses, everyone has one and is free to pick their own) I'll certainly see if it can/can't be refuted or not. Otherwise? It's just someone bringing up President Obama in a thread about President Trump. :wave:
tulc(here's a link that might help: Hitchens's razor - Wikipedia )
Back in the early 90's when Ted Kennedy had a grip on power there were plans to put wind turbines off the Mass. coast....that is until Ted got 'wind' (get it WIND) of it. They were close enough to be clearly seen from land until it was cancelled. Unfortunately that was pre-internet but IIRC the story, which ran in my local paper, was attributed to the NYT. Life did exist prior to the internet.
But it looks like they are giving another try but this time much further out.....14 miles out....maybe somebody learned something after all.....
No More Stalling on Offshore Wind

Maybe I was thinking of this but it seems further back than 17 years.....
Cape Wind proposed building 170 turbines in Nantucket Sound 17 years ago. It did not go well. Although the site was ideal because of its shallow water, it was also problematic in serious ways. The site is a mere five miles from Cape Cod and nine miles from the Vineyard. The project ultimately stalled under the weight of 20 lawsuits (most of which it won) and other challenges.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Back in the early 90's when Ted Kennedy had a grip on power there were plans to put wind turbines off the Mass. coast....that is until Ted got 'wind' (get it WIND) of it. They were close enough to be clearly seen from land until it was cancelled. Unfortunately that was pre-internet but IIRC the story, which ran in my local paper, was attributed to the NYT. Life did exist prior to the internet.
But it looks like they are giving another try but this time much further out.....14 miles out....maybe somebody learned something after all.....
No More Stalling on Offshore Wind

Maybe I was thinking of this but it seems further back than 17 years.....
Cape Wind proposed building 170 turbines in Nantucket Sound 17 years ago. It did not go well. Although the site was ideal because of its shallow water, it was also problematic in serious ways. The site is a mere five miles from Cape Cod and nine miles from the Vineyard. The project ultimately stalled under the weight of 20 lawsuits (most of which it won) and other challenges.
...and where was the part about President Obama fighting against the wind turbines? :scratch:
tulc(kind of thought that was the point of bringing up President Obama in a thread about President Trump) :sorry:

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
C'mon tulc, it was a supposition....please don't tell me that you don't do the same thing on these forums? (snip)
Oh yeah, and I tend to get called out on it when I do. And rightly so. No, the problem I see with post #3 isn't the wind turbines off the coast, the problem with the post, as I see it, is why is President Obama's view from his house even brought up at all in a thread about President Trump attacking wind turbines? :scratch:
tulc(might suggest if civilwarbuff would like to discuss scenic views he could start a thread about that) :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I shall bow out and allow the 'Trump bashing party' to continue.....
...I'm sorry, did you at some point discuss/defend President Trump? Because my impression was you talked about President Obama, ocean views, Ted Kennedy and making suppositions. Pretty much anything and everything but President Trump. :sorry:
tulc(Merry Christmas bro! hope your Christmas is merry and filled with blessings on blessings!) :clap:

Upvote 0