Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
doesn't need a thread.
The thief did no works after conversion, he just died.

This is a no debate thread, so unless you are afraid to start another thread, I'd do that, but either way, I recommend you end it here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xarto

Dec 5, 2020
Leinster
✟11,660.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
hello all. i am in the process of getting saved (hardest thing i ever worked on) and am wondering, once a person gets saved, what comes next?

After you are saved you have to work to keep it. When we sin we push ourselves away from God, so we must ask God for forgiveness. We fall, we get back up until we get called home to God.

"8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. (1 Ephesians 2:8-9 - ESV)

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You need to fully trust in Jesus your savior and KNOW without doubt that His payment for your sins is enough to save you and keep you saved. KNOW that He is worthy to take away your sins. You are a new Christian (I take it?) and so I would just have to say to you to not worry about being immensely fruitful at this juncture. Continue to read and study the Word of God and pray for understanding and wisdom, God will give it. Keep on keeping on and the true spiritual fruit will appear. Learn what you can do to be fruitful in your tempers and activities. You have time, and God is not in a rush with any of us, although it is favorable to be aware of your lack of fruit, do not let it get you down, just resolve to do better and trust that God will help you bring this about. Read this parable:

Luke 13
6 Then Jesus told this parable: “A man had a fig tree growing in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it but did not find any. 7 So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, ‘For three years now I’ve been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven’t found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?’

8 “‘Sir,’ the man replied, ‘leave it alone for one more year, and I’ll dig around it and fertilize it. 9 If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.’”

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hello all. i am in the process of getting saved (hardest thing i ever worked on) and am wondering, once a person gets saved, what comes next?
Follow Christ. Let Him keep saving you. Cooperate with His grace. Fall. Get up again. Repeat. Grow.

• Friendly
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Develop the Fruit of the Spirit. This will be for the rest of our lives.

13 My brothers, God called you to be free. But do not use your freedom as an excuse to do the things that please your sinful self. Serve each other with love. 14 The whole law is made complete in this one command: “Love your neighbor as you love yourself.” 15 If you go on hurting each other and tearing each other apart, be careful! You will completely destroy each other.

The Spirit and Human Nature
16 So I tell you: Live by following the Spirit. Then you will not do what your sinful selves want. 17 Our sinful selves want what is against the Spirit. The Spirit wants what is against our sinful selves. The two are against each other. So you must not do just what you please. 18 But if you let the Spirit lead you, you are not under the law.

19 The result of sin’s control in our lives is clear. It includes sexual immorality, impurity and wild living, 20 worshiping false gods, doing witchcraft, hating, making trouble, being jealous, being angry, being selfish, making people angry with each other, causing divisions among people, 21 having envy, being drunk, having wild and wasteful parties, and doing other things like this. I warn you now as I warned you before: Those who do these things will not be in God’s kingdom. 22 But the Spirit gives love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. There is no law that says these things are wrong. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified their own sinful selves. They have given up their old selfish feelings and the evil things they wanted to do. 25 We get our new life from the Spirit. So we should follow the Spirit. 26 We must not be proud. We must not make trouble with each other. And we must not be jealous of each other.
~Galatians 5:13-26 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Galatians 5 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Galatians 5 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Galatians 5 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Galatians 5 - International Children’s Bible

The Fruit of the Spirit 1.jpg

The Fruit of the Spirit 2.jpg

Here is a daily prayer I use for this:

Character Development Prayer
Dear, Father God…

Thank You for putting me in a time and place where someone like me may have a chance at life. Thank You for guiding, protecting, loving, and never leaving nor forsaking me, even during my worst moments (Deut. 31:6, John 3:16, Ps. 91). Though it may not feel like it at times, the truth shall make me free (John 8:31-32, 14:6-7, 14:15-27).

I pray to You for Christ-like character development through the Fruit of the Spirit. Today, this is known as ‘Emotional Intelligence,’ and is recognized as more important than intelligence and talent. I pray to You to allow The Holy Spirit to continue helping me learn and apply the Fruit of the Spirit in my daily life, so I may grow in humility, maturity, positive character, self-discipline, and Christ-like love, empathy, and compassion towards others and myself (1 Cor. 9:24-27, 13:1-13, Eph. 4:25-32, Gal. 5:13-26, Luke 16:1-15, Phil. 2:1-11).

I pray to You to continue allowing The Holy Spirit to renew my mind, heal my wounds, and help me learn and apply Love, Kindness, Gentleness, Goodness, Self-Control, Patience, Faithfulness, Peace, and Joy (Gal. 5:22-26, Ps. 147:1-6, Rom. 12:1-3). I pray for the Fruit of the Spirit in thought, word, and deed (Col. 3:15-17, Matt. 5:1-7:29, Rom. 2:5-11). Please transform me into the person You want me to be, so I may serve You better each and every day, for the rest of my life (Ex. 20:2-7, Josh. 24:15).

I also pray to You to help me overcome all of the Acts of the Flesh, especially [name the ones you struggle with most] (1 Cor. 10:13, Gal. 5:19-21). I pray to You to continue helping me learn and apply forgiveness, to learn from my past experiences, and never dwell on them (Col. 3:13, Eph. 4:32, Matt. 18:21-35). I am a new creation in the Lord Jesus Christ, and I will not suffer forever (2 Cor. 5:16-21, John 3:16, Rev. 21:1-8).

Basically, I pray to You to help me learn and apply loving You with all of my heart, mind, soul, and strength, and loving others as myself, even when used, abused, and rejected (Ex. 20:1-17, Luke 10:25-37, Mark 12:28-34, Matt. 22:34-40, 1 Pet. 3:8-22, Rom. 13:8-10). I also pray this over [names of people and communities], so we may all continue an economy of empathy and compassion (1 Cor. 13, Eph. 6:10-20, Matt. 5:43-48).

Give us this day our daily bread, nourishment to our hearts, minds, and souls (Luke 11:3, Matt. 6:11).

In the name of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit. Amen and amen.

Today, we know this as emotional intelligence.[1][2][3]

Self-Awareness - Humility to give oneself honest assessments of his/her own competence. Pride will only discourage Peace and Joy for everyone involved.
Self-Regulation - Self-Control, Patience, and Faithfulness. Promotes Peace and Joy in self and others.
Social Skills - All of these Fruits of the Spirit promote pro-social behaviour, which is the long-term goal of social skills. These lead to Peace and Joy.
Empathy - Love, Kindness, Gentleness, and Goodness. Gives Peace and Joy to self and others.
Motivation - Pleasing God should be our main motivation in life, first and foremost. Eventually leads to eternal Peace and Joy.
  1. What’s Emotional Intelligence and How Can You Apply it to Your Life?
  2. How to Improve Your Emotional Intelligence
  3. What is Emotional Intelligence (EQ)?

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

Salvation is simple. Profess with your tongue and believe in your heart that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior. Admit that you are a sinner and ask Christ to save you from your sin.

Next, is the complicated part. First, trust in God to help you overcome your sin. Second, act on that trust by praying and studying His Word. Spend time with God every day. Third, follow the rules. There's only two:

1.) Love the Lord your God with all your heart and mind.
2.) Love your neighbor.

Finally, tell everyone you come across about Jesus. Whether you do that through words and/or actions is between you and God.

Spend time with God and act according to those two rules.

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So how is it that a person can believe, repent, get baptized, yet still not be reborn?? This is what i dont get. I have not seen any change in myself. What am i missing? I just dont know what else to try.

To answer that, I must ask you a series of questions. Please indulge me.

Do you believe in God?

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I cant help but think if you find getting saved that difficult youre doing something wrong. The Bible says its simply believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord and you will be saved. AS an example, I was once on a mission and led someone (who approached us to talk to us) who had mental health issues to Jesus. His response was to say God was tickling his heart. Its not down to ability or difficult to do, its simply believing and accepting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

What comes next? Discipleship. Jesus's two-fold command to the Church was: 1.) Preach the Gospel to the lost (Mark 16:15) and 2.) make disciples of those who are born-again (Matthew 28:19-20), teaching them the structure of their faith and how to fellowship with God everyday.

Getting saved is a process of learning about how we are sinners, all deserving eternal hell, and how God sent His son Jesus, to die in our place. And on the 3rd day, Jesus rose and ascended to Heaven to sit next to the Father. And we are to truly believe in this, repent of our sins, then the Holy Spirit becomes one with you, and your sanctification begins and lasts till death, at which point, our souls go to be judged by Jesus. And either we are allowed into Heaven, or thrown into hell for eternity.

It's not a guessing game, whether or not you're saved and heaven-bound. You can know now, this side of the grave, if you are one of God's children and will enter His kingdom.

2 Corinthians 13:5
5 Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you—unless indeed you fail the test?

These are strange remarks for the apostle Paul to make if one can only know after death if one is in the faith, in Christ Jesus, and thus an adopted child of God.

The only way one gets into heaven is through Jesus, not through good works (Ephesians 2:8-9; 2 Timothy 1:9; Titus 3:5). We are accepted in the Beloved (Ephesians 1:6; 1 Corinthians 1:30) who is Jesus, and on no other basis are we accepted by God. (John 14:6; Acts 4:12; 1 Timothy 2:5) So, you don't have to constantly wonder if you've been good enough to be let into God's kingdom. That's works-salvation, which the Bible flatly denies. Jesus is the Way - the Only Way - and by putting your trust in him, you are made a "joint-heir" with him. (Romans 8:17) And so it is that the apostle John wrote,

1 John 5:11-13
11 And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
12 He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.
13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

Getting saved is not a process. Either you trust in the sacrifice of Jesus alone for the forgiveness of your sins, or you do not. Sanctification is a process, but that comes after one is saved, not before. At that point, you become more guided by the Spirit and a life of less and less sin. These are not hard things for a believer, as it aligns with their new nature. They want to do these things and it is not burdensome work.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What do you mean, in the process of being saved?

Being saved takes about a minute, when you receive Jesus to become a child of God - John 1:12, by asking Him to come into your heart - Revelation 3:20, and forgive your sins - Acts 3:19 and asking Him to save your soul, and in so doing, you are calling upon the name of the Lord, and are then saved - Romans 10:13.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Rir

Mar 22, 2021
Lafayette
✟7,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
And this is why i say getting saved is one of the most difficult things to do. But maybe i should explain more... when i go out, i usually break the speed limit. I almost always get mad at someone’s bad driving. I lie sometimes, i think bad things about people, i listen to heavy metal daily, and the list goes on and on.
The real craziness is at nite right before bed, i pray to God to forgive me and yet i cant even remember all the sins i committed that day.
I often times get jealous when i hear some people talk about how easy it was for them to get saved, and yet i cant seem to.
I just dont see peace or joy for christians, but i doubt too that many commit as much sinning as i do in a days time.
I lived that life for many years before I was lucky enough to find a relationship with God, I wish I had found and kept him alot sooner. I lived a very sinful life, why would he want the likes of me I always thought, I'd physically hurt people, I was a walking night mare, but I let go one day, I just let go, I stopped trying to be in control and let him guide me and I have never been happier!! Now I actually have a relationship with God!! He is in charge, here always has been but I wouldn't let him help me, but when I did. All of the pain(alot), he took it from me, all of the worries how will I make it financially? None of these things are my problem anymore. But I know no matter what, he has a plan for me, and it's always better than I myself could ever do. I think you should try it or and give it your all, let him be in control, you will be glad you did! Good luck to you and bless them Lord

Upvote 0

AlohaBBQ

Jan 13, 2020
Folsom
✟8,223.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Admitting that you're a sinner and then accepting Jesus Christ into your heart, isn't the hardest thing to do in your life... and once you've committed to it, then as one mentioned.
Join a good local church and join a 'new believers' class.
It's a life long endeavor to learning who Jesus Christ is and becoming more like his character...called being discipled.
Don't be fearful of committing your life to Christ.
Over time (sanctification), you'll begin to have a new perspective (new life) on your relationships, your circumstances, and your life events...it'll be God's perspective.
And you'll grow in 'faith' and begin over time (again I say this) to find joy and peace in whatever relationship and circumstance you find yourself.
It is a beautiful journey... God Bless you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you understand by "getting saved"?

Yes, that is an essential question. Some people think that believing about God or that Jesus is a teacher sent from God is the matter. It must be RECEIVING the Lord Jesus into our heart and walking and talking with Him daily as John 3; John 14; etc. God says: "he that has the Son has life, and he that has not the Son has NOT that life" (1 Jn. 5:10-12). It is more a relationship than just a belief or idea. If one makes the Lord Jesus their best Friend they will find Him ever with them and comforting, leading, encouraging one, etc. He is a 'all the way home savior' as many have found. He will never fail us, but we often fail by trusting self and the flesh of men.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Marumorose

Nov 30, 2019
Polokwane
✟37,738.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being saved is about living a life without the chains of sins. It is also about lifting your soul out of darkness into light, so that you can inherit the kingdom of heaven

Upvote 0

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟96,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Lifelong_sinner

Getting saved is a proleptic statement in some ways. When we fully turn over our lives to the Messiah, so as to be willing to pick up a cross and follow Him to death, we are marked as saved. However, we are still to BE saved at the resurrection - as surely we will all still die.

But you are about to embark on a live changing journey by taking a pilgrimage through the Bible. The Bible is more than just a book of history and instruction - it's alive! As you read through it, many of your questions will be answered and your spirit will meet with our Creator as you turn it's pages.

I highly recommend you check out this page to see how to get started in the Bible.

As you read the Bible, remember to humble yourself before it. Be adaptable to be corrected by it rather than seeking to correct it. Forget all the preconceived ideas you have about the stories within, about God and Messiah and start from scratch. Then you will do well and I'm very sure you will meet with Him on the way.

May Almighty Yahweh guide you to the truth.
Love & Shalom

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Ephesians 2:8-9 tells us that our salvation comes from God as pure gift and mercy, even the faith through which we have been justified is itself God's gift to us.

Ephesians 2:10 tells us what it means to live now that we have been freely justified.

We are called to live out our salvation through good works.

Salvation isn't something we do, but something God does. Our job is living that salvation out into the world, by loving our neighbor and being the disciples of Jesus.

Love is a commandment of God, and therefore cannot justify us (since none can be justified by works of the Law); but love is the commandment of God, and therefore we must do it. Therefore we go out and love God and love our fellow human beings, doing as Christ has instructed and taught us.

Will we continue to fail and to sin? You bet. Therefore, the Law is there telling you to love, and you do not do it, you are indeed a sinner--repent. The Gospel is there telling you that you, a naked sinner, are beloved of God, and He saves you. Christ saves you, therefore believe and be bold--our confidence is not in ourselves, but in Jesus who has given Himself for us and to the whole world.

This is why we gather around God's Word and Sacraments when we come together for worship. Because it is from God's own gifts and works--His Word and Sacraments--that we are sustained in faith. The old Adam, buried and dead in Baptism, must be daily drowned in repentance in light of our Baptism; even as the new man born anew in Jesus Christ, having been raised up with Christ in baptism and who hears and trusts the word of the Gospel is sustained by the grace of God, through faith--and is nourished by the Bread of Life, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Therefore "take and eat" for this is His body. "Take and drink" this is His blood. You have been given ears to hear, hear God's word and precious Gospel, hold firm to it, trust in He who saves you. Here God gives Himself to you, to us. That we might live and have life abundantly in and from He who says He came to give life and give it abundantly.

And in light of all which God has given you, go out, love your neighbor.

When your neighbor injures you, forgive them.
When your neighbor is angry, show them kindness.
When your neighbor hates you, love them.
When your neighbor strikes you, do not retaliate.
When your neighbor curses you, bless them.
When your neighbor persecutes you, pray for them.
When your neighbor is hungry, give them food.
When your neighbor is thirsty, give them drink.

"But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.
" - Luke 6:27-36

"Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
" - Romans 12:9-21

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0