Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is your point? How did what you posted answer the question asked in this thread?
The question seemed to pose the question of whether we should render SPECIAL HONOR to Mary, as Jesus, undoubtably did, since she was His mother.

The scripture posted gives Jesus' view on the subject. His mother should not be honored ABOVE any other of His followers, for we are all His followers.

Another scripture which sheds light upon this question is found in Luke 11 ...

27 And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked.

28 But He said, "RATHER, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus of Nazareth loved, respected and honored his mother (Mary) in real time.

We can't do the same because Mary died and no longer walks the earth.
Actually, we can.

My father passed last year. I continue to honor him, his memory, and his reputation. I speak highly of him, and will never speak ill of him. I honor his sacrifice and example for my life, ... by living as he raised me to live, especially in his commitment to God.

I do, however, understand that he was an imperfect fallible man (who, despite that, loved and cared for me) ... and that he would always have me look to God for my resource, rather than to him. Given that I am 60+, Dad had passed from the role of being my provider decades ago ...

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because scripture doesn’t support that notion.
Are you certain about that? My Bible has these verses:
Psalms 141:2. Let my prayer be set forth before thee [as] incense Which was offered every morning on the altar of incense, at which time the people were praying,
Revelation 5:8, NIV: "And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb.Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God's people.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Apostle John, the son of Zebedee, and he who Jesus loved. Do we love John? Do we pray to John?
You could ask John to intercede for you in prayer just as you could ask your pastor to intercede for you in prayer. You do ask others to pray for you dont you?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do I think that Jesus listens to His mother a little more closely than He would someone else, yes I do.
Your thinking is carnal (i.e. earthly) here.

You would make God a respecter of persons ... which He has clearly said that he is not ...

Acts 10:34 “Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As the old saying goes, 'Life is for the living". So we love, respect and honor departed love ones how?

(1) By providing a memorial headstone and flowers on graves. Mary was buried in an unmarked anonymous grave.

(2) By conversations and the passing down of memories and anecdotes largely in family settings but such things die out within a few generations. The memories of Jesus' mother, Mary, extend to 2,000 years in millions of Bibles, books, sermons, bible studies, etc.
Mary was buried in an unmarked anonymous grave.
Do you have any evidence for that. Why do you believe that?

Reactions: CleanSoul
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Are you certain about that? My Bible has these verses:
Psalms 141:2. Let my prayer be set forth before thee [as] incense Which was offered every morning on the altar of incense, at which time the people were praying,
Revelation 5:8, NIV: "And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb.Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God's people.
Yes, I’m sure, your out-of-context verses notwithstanding.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The question seemed to pose the question of whether we should render SPECIAL HONOR to Mary, as Jesus, undoubtably, since she was His mother.

The scripture posted gives Jesus' view on the subject. His mother should not be honored ABOVE any other of His followers, for we are all His followers.

Another scripture which sheds light upon this question is found in Luke 11 ...

27 And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked.

28 But He said, "RATHER, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it."
yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God and keep
it;
intimating, that though his mother was happy in bearing and suckling such a son, yet it was a far greater happiness to hear the word of God; meaning either himself, the eternal "Logos", so as to embrace him, believe on him, and have him formed in the heart; or the Gospel preached by him, so as to understand it, receive it as the ingrafted word, and bring forth fruit, and act in obedience to it, observe it, and abide by it, and never relinquish it. Luke 11:28 - He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear ...

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why not, if they were saved they are now saints and are with God, why could we not pray to them to intercede for us, just as we could ask them to pray for us if they were alive?
Because God desires that we seek HIM for our provision and blessing.

"Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek Him with the whole heart." Psalms 119:2

"And ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall search for Me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13

"And I will give them an heart to know Me, that I am the LORD: and they shall be My people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto Me with their whole heart." Jeremiah 24:7

"I love them that love Me; and those that seek Me early shall find Me."
Proverbs 8:17

JESUS is the appointed intercessor of the New Covenant ... and He has done what is necessary ... to grant us access to the very throne of God ...

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." ... Hebrews 4:16

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because God desires that we seek HIM for our provision and blessing.

"Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek Him with the whole heart." Psalms 119:2

"And ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall search for Me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13

"And I will give them an heart to know Me, that I am the LORD: and they shall be My people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto Me with their whole heart." Jeremiah 24:7

"I love them that love Me; and those that seek Me early shall find Me."
Proverbs 8:17

JESUS is the appointed intercessor of the New Covenant ... and He has done what is necessary ... to grant us access to the very throne of God ...

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." ... Hebrews 4:16
You do understand that you are saying that it is wrong to ask someone to pray for you. Do you not ask people to pray for you?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Apostle John, the son of Zebedee, and he who Jesus loved. Do we love John? Do we pray to John?
We do love John, as we love one another. We honor him and his brothers and sisters ... for their commitment and contribution to the outworking of God's plan.

We don't pray to John ... simply because God would rather that we pray to Him.

Distancing ourselves from God is ever a great temptation for us. God would rather that we would not.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a context that would come to a different meaning?
*sigh*

Why do I have to do the work? You posted two verses without context, but you want me to provide context in my rebuttal? How about you do the work.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You could ask John to intercede for you in prayer just as you could ask your pastor to intercede for you in prayer. You do ask others to pray for you dont you?
I do not ask a brother ... for what only my Father can provide. A brother can JOIN me in prayer, ... but cannot be the object of my prayer ...

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do understand that you are saying that it is wrong to ask someone to pray for you. Do you not ask people to pray for you?
I am not saying that it is wrong to ask others to JOIN YOU in prayer to God ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Eastern Orthodox hymns to John

Troparion (Tone 8) [1]
As a soldier of the Lord you were ranked among the choir of apostles.
Together with your brother, O James, you clung wholeheartedly to the Savior.
Armed with the power of the Spirit you preached him to all and were slain by the sword.
Therefore we sing your praises!
Troparion (Tone 3)
You were a chosen apostle of Christ
And the only brother of the beloved Theologian.
Most praised James, ask remission of sins and great mercy
For those who sing hymns to you.
Kontakion (Tone 2)
You heard the voice of God calling you
And turned away from the love of your father.
With your brother you hastened after Christ, O glorious James.
With him, you were counted worthy to behold the Lord's divine Transfiguration!

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your thinking is carnal (i.e. earthly) here.

You would make God a respecter of persons ... which He has clearly said that he is not ...
But Jesus’ interference with the procession was caused by his compassion for the weeping widow (Luke 7:13). He knew what it was like to be a helpless, lonely widow because his own mother was one (John 19:27). We understand how strong was Jesus’ compassion for this widow because he did not hesitate to touch the coffin although it will make him ceremonially unclean. Sermon Notes on Luke 7:11-17 | Jesus raises a Widow’s Son in Nain

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But Jesus’ interference with the procession was caused by his compassion for the weeping widow (Luke 7:13). He knew what it was like to be a helpless, lonely widow because his own mother was one (John 19:27). We understand how strong was Jesus’ compassion for this widow because he did not hesitate to touch the coffin although it will make him ceremonially unclean. Sermon Notes on Luke 7:11-17 | Jesus raises a Widow’s Son in Nain
DO you truly believe that Jesus only knew of the widow's pain ... because He was the son of a widow ?

Do you truly believe that Jesus (even in His humanity) ... was so disconnected from the sorrows we bear ?

Jesus also touched lepers. Did He have close relatives who were lepers (so as to understand their pain) ?

Jesus healed the blind, the lame, the devil-possessed, etc. Did He have to LEARN to feel compassion for ALL of these ?

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If we are to model ourselves after Jesus Christ and imitate His life by doing what He did while He was alive, would praying to Mary be something we would do?

Sigh...

Since Jesus is our king, not our buddy or our bestie, Mary as His Mother is the Queen Mother. In a monarchy, one way to gain the king's ear was to speak to his mother. We even see this in the wedding at Cana. So we ARE following an example from Scripture.

Upvote 0