Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
We have Holy Tradition, which includes not only the pinnacle of the revealed Scriptures, but the Creed, councils, church fathers, liturgy, hymns, canons and iconography. 2000 years of lex orendi lex credendi the living ekklesia of the Orthodox faith.
Nothing biblical, though.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Nothing biblical, though.

Why does it matter to you what I believe? I don't judge anyone for what they believe, I have my own sins to concern me. As St Theofan the Recluse said

"You ask, will the heterodox be saved... Why do you worry about them? They have a Savior Who desires the salvation of every human being. He will take care of them. You and I should not be burdened with such a concern. Study yourself and your own sins... I will tell you one thing, however: should you, being Orthodox and possessing the Truth in its fullness, betray Orthodoxy, and enter a different faith, you will lose your soul forever."

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Why does it matter to you what I believe? I don't judge anyone for what they believe, I have my own sins to concern me. As St Theofan the Recluse said

"You ask, will the heterodox be saved... Why do you worry about them? They have a Savior Who desires the salvation of every human being. He will take care of them. You and I should not be burdened with such a concern. Study yourself and your own sins... I will tell you one thing, however: should you, being Orthodox and possessing the Truth in its fullness, betray Orthodoxy, and enter a different faith, you will lose your soul forever."
Well, the thread isn’t about worrying what others believe. It’s a debate and discussion thread. I’m debating and discussing.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We have Holy Tradition, which includes not only the pinnacle of the revealed Scriptures, but the Creed, councils, church fathers, liturgy, hymns, canons and iconography. 2000 years of lex orendi lex credendi the living ekklesia of the Orthodox faith.

But nothing biblical?

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If we are to model ourselves after Jesus Christ and imitate His life by doing what He did while He was alive, would praying to Mary be something we would do?
With certainty, yes Jesus would have asked his mother for assistance or support in some capacity during his life on earth.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
But you want to restrict the debate to only what you believe, e.g. Bible only. I refuse to define my beliefs to your restrictions.
Well, if you don’t use scripture as the basis for truth, then you can come up with anything.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Tradition is just another way of saying blind leading the blind. It puts the focus on the institution rather than the teachings of Jesus and on the Kingdom, preferring to focus on itself. That applies to any denomination that plays the tradition card. You must respect us because... while God respects nothing of mankind's imply because it usually looks inward to itself..

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,089.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, if you don’t use scripture as the basis for truth, then you can come up with anything.
Without Church Tradition, you don't know what books make up the New Testament, and the same Church which handed down those Scriptures also handed down the Liturgy and many hymns.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But you want to restrict the debate to only what you believe, e.g. Bible only. I refuse to define my beliefs to your restrictions.

You refuse to go by the bible only, and add traditions of men?

Smells like trouble to me.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,089.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You refuse to go by the bible only, and add traditions of men?
Traditions of the Church, which is the theanthropic body of Christ. Not traditions of men such as the unbiblical "Bible only" tradition.

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Traditions of the Church, which is the theanthropic body of Christ. Not traditions of men such as the unbiblical "Bible only" tradition.

Double talk.

Is the church not men? So, yes, traditions of men.

And are you saying the bible is unbiblical?

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes it does. Does it honor Mary when we ask her to intercede for us, yes it does. Are we praying to Mary when we ask her to intercede for us, yes and no. We are in the same respect as when we ask anyone else to pray for us in intercessory prayer, but no in the respect of are we treating her as being on an equal level as God, certainly we are not any more than we are doing so when we ask our pastor to pray for us. Do I think that Jesus listens to His mother a little more closely than He would someone else, yes I do.
Jesus said whoever does his will is his mother and brother and sister. Don't pray to Mary. Pray to God, to Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus loved, respected, and honored His mother Mary, it would be appropriate for us to do the same.
We can respect and honor her all day long. The question is should we pray to her?

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus was making a point He was not showing disrespect for His mother, no good son would do that and there is no doubt that Jesus was good in all that He did.
Yes He was, of course but did He pray to her?

Upvote 0