• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

WWJD Did Jesus Pray to Mary?

Discussion in 'Mariology & Hagiography' started by Jaxxi, Apr 6, 2021 at 3:21 AM.

1. Jaxxi

Jaxxi Well-Known Member Supporter

+498
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    If we are to model ourselves after Jesus Christ and imitate His life by doing what He did while He was alive, would praying to Mary be something we would do?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. disciple Clint

disciple Clint Well-Known Member

+2,898
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Jesus loved, respected, and honored His mother Mary, it would be appropriate for us to do the same.

3. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+4,962
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Matthew 12:
    47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.

48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?

49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. disciple Clint

+2,898
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Jesus was making a point He was not showing disrespect for His mother, no good son would do that and there is no doubt that Jesus was good in all that He did.

5. timothyu

+4,962
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I never said he did. But He definitely proclaimed who was worthy and in those words did not put His family above those He spoke of.

6. Hammster

Hammster Jesus is Post-Mil Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+20,694
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I love, honor and respect my mother.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. disciple Clint

+2,898
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    What is your point? How did what you posted answer the question asked in this thread?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  8. timothyu

+4,962
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    In imitating Jesus as it says then by those words of His we would have a long list to pray to.

9. disciple Clint

+2,898
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    So if I understand your logic you think that Jesus did not honor His mother above anyone else, is that correct? Do you honor your mother above the mother of someone else?

10. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+5,249
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Does that really answer the question the OP asked?

11. adderbolt

adderbolt Member

+126
    United States
    Reformed
    Divorced
    Jesus of Nazareth loved, respected and honored his mother (Mary) in real time.

We can't do the same because Mary died and no longer walks the earth.

12. disciple Clint

+2,898
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Yes it does. Does it honor Mary when we ask her to intercede for us, yes it does. Are we praying to Mary when we ask her to intercede for us, yes and no. We are in the same respect as when we ask anyone else to pray for us in intercessory prayer, but no in the respect of are we treating her as being on an equal level as God, certainly we are not any more than we are doing so when we ask our pastor to pray for us. Do I think that Jesus listens to His mother a little more closely than He would someone else, yes I do.

13. disciple Clint

+2,898
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Do we not still love, respect, and honor our departed loved ones?

14. Hammster

+20,694
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Honor? Yes. Talk to? No.

15. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+5,249
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Thanks for expanding your position.

16. disciple Clint

+2,898
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Why not, if they were saved they are now saints and are with God, why could we not pray to them to intercede for us, just as we could ask them to pray for us if they were alive?

17. adderbolt

adderbolt Member

+126
    United States
    Reformed
    Divorced
    As the old saying goes, 'Life is for the living". So we love, respect and honor departed love ones how?

(1) By providing a memorial headstone and flowers on graves. Mary was buried in an unmarked anonymous grave.

(2) By conversations and the passing down of memories and anecdotes largely in family settings but such things die out within a few generations. The memories of Jesus' mother, Mary, extend to 2,000 years in millions of Bibles, books, sermons, bible studies, etc.

18. Hammster

+20,694
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Because scripture doesn’t support that notion.

19. adderbolt

adderbolt Member

+126
    United States
    Reformed
    Divorced
    The Apostle John, the son of Zebedee, and he who Jesus loved. Do we love John? Do we pray to John?

20. timothyu

+4,962
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    The scripture I posted speaks for itself.