May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
OK, first, a little disclaimer. I am not a convicted felon. I was thinking of another "would you marry a..." topic and this popped into my head. A felony crime can be somewhat "minor" like killing an officially protected animal (bald eagle for example) or it can be pretty serious, like armed robbery, assault, rape, etc.

Well, I wouldn't consider that example "minor". If it's done on purpose, then it's blatant disrespect and insensitivity towards a delicate species and life in general. I don't really consider it an offense just because of the law, but I do consider the killing of animals with no good intent a serious fault in the individual and would not date them regardless.

And now that I have that out of the way, would I date a felon? The court system no longer operates under the "innocent until proven guilty" mantra; it operates the other way around. You are presumed guilty, and it's up to YOU and how much money you have to prove otherwise. I know good people who got nailed with felonies because the cops on duty were essentially out to get them. I know somebody who had a medical card to smoke marijuana for anxiety (legal in CA), who was growing it not to sell but to give (donate essentially) to medical marijuana dispensaries so it would go to cancer patients and others who needed it (also legal). They are trying to charge him with a felony for street drug sales. The man has an engineering degree, takes classes for fun, has owned a very successful business building airplane engines, has two houses and a child. He's NOT a bad person, far from it, and I personally think the way he's being treated is a shame.

So no, considering the state of this country's legal system and court system, I would not rule somebody out based on a government given label. I would rule somebody out based on their actions, their character, their morals and their values. If the government wants to slap a felony on a person for something that doesn't deserve a felony or really shouldn't even be illegal, I will not let it be a stigma in my eyes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Considering that plenty of people are convicted of "felonies" that I do not believe ought to be illegal in the first place, I have no problem with saying "yes". But even if they were in for something that really ought to be illegal (theft, manslaughter) I would still consider it if they had repented.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Shows they've got spunk!

I was just going to say it makes life more interesting.

Failing a felonious past, I'd like to make sure he totally looks the part of "just arrived from the clink."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Humble Pie

Veteran
Jan 25, 2012
✟18,161.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hmm probably not, forgive me Lord. I know people change but there are other factors too. I would need to know if he had really left that life behind and wouldn't be bring dodgy associates into the family home all the time. Out reach would be ok but i wouldn't want some old aquaintance with tatts all over him and a joint hanging from between his fingers asking me "what's cookin toots" every other night he drops by for dinner.

Upvote 0