• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

worried pressure will build

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rsfm

well ive been cutting on and off for around 5 years. however recently ive totally become addicted to it and turn to it whenever i feel slightly anxious/sad.
im trying so hard to stop. i keep promising my partner i wont do it as i dont want to hurt her. but its just so hard as i cant control myself at the time.

right now. i feel like i could easily stop. but just yesterday i felt awful and was sooo tempted.

i really want to stop, im just worried all this pressure will build up in me and i wont be able to.

hmm.

veganbunny

Dec 25, 2006
hertfordshire
✟7,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
I started self harming at 11 years old, and have gone months and months without harming within those 7 years (sometimes over a year) but when times get tough sure enough it starts again, and then I seem to be addicted again. Sometimes I get urges or even voices telling me to self harm, but I manage well to ignore them these days.

The best thing I find is to distract myself, or even tell someone so that they can watch over me until the feelings pass. I mainly distract myself by crafts, technology, exersize, company or sleep.

Stay strong, we understand what you are going through!

Upvote 0

pockleberry

Apr 10, 2005
✟16,017.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've told other people this and I know that others on here will say the same but take it a day at a time. I know that when I think about things like giving up self harm I look at it as this massive thing I have to get passed and that is bound to make me feel pressured, I don't know if you do the same but alot of people do. If you look at it day by day or hour by hour when things get hard you can see how much you are achieving. It's ok if you fall sometimes just so long as you get up and try again, maybe you could try explaining that to your partner, so they know that if you slip up it's not the end of the world. Hope that helped a bit...

Reactions: LazeyWinde
Upvote 0

HolyOne87

Call Me A Sinner, Call Me A Saint..
Jun 2, 2006
✟18,539.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
well ive been cutting on and off for around 5 years. however recently ive totally become addicted to it and turn to it whenever i feel slightly anxious/sad.
im trying so hard to stop. i keep promising my partner i wont do it as i dont want to hurt her. but its just so hard as i cant control myself at the time.

right now. i feel like i could easily stop. but just yesterday i felt awful and was sooo tempted.

i really want to stop, im just worried all this pressure will build up in me and i wont be able to.

hmm.

try and find alternates to SIing..i know I posted a thread with a site that has alternates..And I know others have posted threads as well(i know veganbunny gave some great suggestions right here). Maybe check the threads out and when you feel the urge, do one (or a few) of the alternates. I know how hard it is(to fight the urges). I made a promise myself to a person whom I love very much as well.
What I do is I ask the person I love to help me and help me push to not cut and use alternate methods.
Maybe your partner can help you with that. Sometimes when we have a person we truly love helping us, it never seems that bad because we always know we arent alone and we always have someone on our side helping us no matter what.
We are also here for you as well! If you ever need us, you know where to find us!

Like pockleberry said, take things one day at a time..because if you take things in waves, it will become too overbearing (i know from experience..i've done it SOO many times)

:hug:Many Hugs :hug:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.