Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
When I became a Christian in the late 1960s, the books by E.W. Kenyon were popular among Pentecostals. I read a number of his books and found them insightful and encouraging. I learned that I am the righteousness of God in Christ through his writing.

What I found was that his version of 'confession of faith' was that we confess God's Word out loud to enhance our faith. It goes along with "Believe in the heart concerning righteousness and confession of the mouth for salvation." He wrote bring out attention to what the Word of God said about us, and that we should believe it and confess it.

It is said that Kenyon was the initiator of the modern Word-Faith movement. Some have questioned some of the elements that influenced him, but these don't come through in the books I read. The only theological bit that I disagree with is that Jesus went to hell between the Cross and the Throne, something that the modern Word-Faith teachers assert.

But Kenyon's teaching was nothing like modern Word-Faith prosperity teaching. He never used "naming and claiming" to get a bigger bank balance, bigger house, the latest luxury motor car, or a fleet of private jets to travel around the world. What Kenyon concentrated on was to have stronger faith in God's Word. I did not detect anything like: "If you believe hard enough, it will happen", as modern Word-Faith teachers would have their disciples believe.

But in the last ten years, we have seen a rise of Word-Faith prosperity teachers that promise greater wealth in return for a "seed faith" offering, not to the poor, but to their own ministries. Kenneth Copeland said that giving to the poor instead of his ministry was akin to losing God's blessing of prosperity. The only way to prosperity was to give to his ministry. Benny Hinn promises guaranteed physical healing if people give $1000 to his ministry.

The problem with that is as with any pyramid scheme, it is the man at the top who gets the most wealth, while those further down get little or nothing. The promises of prosperity and guaranteed healing never seem to materialise in spite of the talk and motivational speech making.

Also, we have a Word-Faith teacher telling us that God only does what we give Him permission to do, and another saying that to be like Jesus is to become little 'gods' and are able to do what Jesus did. They say that Jesus was not God while on earth, but just a man empowered by the Holy Spirit, that He only became God when He was resurrected. These teachings are just plain blasphemy and heresy. In the light of teaching like these, one can come only to one conclusion: these false teachers teaching another gospel, and therefore are outside of the Christian faith. They are not born again.

E W Kenyon never taught these heresies. He encouraged his readers to abide by the Word of God, to confess it by faith, and personalise the promises for themselves. His book, "The Father And His Family" is a powerful account of the Gospel and clearly describes how Jesus paid our debt of sin when He suffered and died on the Cross, rose again on the third day, and presented His blood in the heavenly Holy of Holies, and is now at the right hand of the Father, interceding for us.

The modern Word-Faith movement teaches none of this, nor do they teach repentance from sin. They teach that being Christian is to be healthy, wealthy and motivated to have positive thoughts about themselves. They teach that any kind of negative thinking robs people of the blessing. Kenyon never taught those things.

It is a tragedy that the Word-Faith movement, a small part of the Charismatic movement, looked upon mainly as outside of the mainstream in the 1970s-80s, has now overtaken much of the mainstream that the waters are so muddied, that true, Bible-believing Charismatics are hidden under the weight of the false teachers and prophets. It is a fulfillment of Jesus' parable of the wheat and the tares. Some have tried to weed out the false teachers and prophets, but in the process, true Charismatics are being harmed and disillusioned, with many abandoning the movement and even adopting cessationism.

I think that true, Bible-believing, and Reformed Charismatics should take a stronger stand in calling out and opposing the false Word-Faith teachers and prophets, instead of feeling threatened and defensive toward those who are doing what they can to expose and call the false teachers and prophets out by teaching what the Scriptures actually say what the true Gospel of Christ is.

• Agree
Reactions: RickReads

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Jeremiah has a lot to say about false prophets and teachers. Let's have a look at chapter 23, starting with verse 16:
"16 Thus says the Lord of hosts: “Do not listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you, filling you with vain hopes. They speak visions of their own minds, not from the mouth of the Lord."

The prosperity prophets predict wealth and prosperity to those who sow "seed faith" money to their ministries. Also they prophesy guaranteed healing. But the prosperity never happens, and people are not healed. What they are doing is sowing false hopes in the people who listen to and believe their prophecies. The Scripture says that they are not giving words from the Lord, but out of their own minds.

17 They say continually to those who despise the word of the Lord, ‘It shall be well with you’; and to everyone who stubbornly follows his own heart, they say, ‘No disaster shall come upon you.’”

Paul said to Timothy that people will depart from sound doctrine and heap up to themselves false teachers who will give them what they desire for their tickling ears. They depart from the true Gospel of Christ and flock in their thousands to the false teachers who promise great things from the Lord, bolster their self esteem and puff them up to think that they are special people who are giving God a favour by being professing Christians. Notice how the false Word-faith teachers fill whole stadiums with people, and yet those who preach and teach the true Gospel of Christ are hardly able to fill their smaller churches.

18 For who among them has stood in the council of the Lord
to see and to hear his word,
or who has paid attention to his word and listened?

Are they listening to the Lord's voice as He speaks to them through the Bible? No. They listen to what their own mind tells them. Are they standing in the council of the Lord? No, because they have departed from the written Scriptures and are teaching from their own opinions and false theology.

19 Behold, the storm of the Lord!
Wrath has gone forth,
a whirling tempest;
it will burst upon the head of the wicked.
20 The anger of the Lord will not turn back
until he has executed and accomplished
the intents of his heart.

This is what the Lord says will happen to them. It may not come right away, but it will happen. The Lord is patient to give them room to repent of their falsehood, but if they refuse to repent, they will experience the wrath of God. It is not a matter of "if"
it will happen, but "when".

In the latter days you will understand it clearly.

We are in the latter days, and those who know the Scriptures understand this very clearly, knowing that the prophets are false, and that the Lord will descend on them in due time. "In due time, their foot shall slide" (Deut 32:35) right down into hell.

21 “I did not send the prophets,
yet they ran;
I did not speak to them,
yet they prophesied.
22 But if they had stood in my council,
then they would have proclaimed my words to my people,
and they would have turned them from their evil way,
and from the evil of their deeds.

If these prophets and teachers were truly hearing from God, they would have given true prophecies and would have encouraged the people to repent of their sins and believe the Gospel of Christ. But they continued to prophesy even though they were not hearing from the Lord, nor was He speaking to them. These false prophets know very well they are not hearing from the Lord. They are deliberately speaking out of their own minds in order to deceive the people so they can increase their wealth and fame.

23 “Am I a God at hand, declares the Lord, and not a God far away? 24 Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the Lord. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord. 25 I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy lies in my name, saying, ‘I have dreamed, I have dreamed!’ 26 How long shall there be lies in the heart of the prophets who prophesy lies, and who prophesy the deceit of their own heart, 27 who think to make my people forget my name by their dreams that they tell one another, even as their fathers forgot my name for Baal?

They are underestimating God, who is not far away, and who can see exactly what they are doing, and He knows their hearts. He is not blind to them and their heresies, even if they are blind to who exactly is God. Those who are interpreting dreams are engaging in New Age occult, and their interpretations are lies and deceit.

Let the prophet who has a dream tell the dream, but let him who has my word speak my word faithfully. What has straw in common with wheat? declares the Lord. 29 Is not my word like fire, declares the Lord, and like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces? 30 Therefore, behold, I am against the prophets, declares the Lord, who steal my words from one another. 31 Behold, I am against the prophets, declares the Lord, who use their tongues and declare, ‘declares the Lord.’

Let the true prophets stand in the council of God through His Scriptures and let them give true prophecies that will point people to Christ and the true Gospel. God's true word is powerful like a two edged sword and those who hear it repent of their sins, believe on Christ, are truly born again and filled with the Spirit of God.

32 Behold, I am against those who prophesy lying dreams, declares the Lord, and who tell them and lead my people astray by their lies and their recklessness, when I did not send them or charge them. So they do not profit this people at all, declares the Lord.

The Scripture is very clear that God is totally against those who prophesy lying dreams and lead people astray by their lies. They do not profit the people at all. They are clouds without water, "nothing burgers" without beef in them.

So that is a taste of what the Scripture says about false prophets and teachers who lead people astray from the true Gospel of Christ. There is more in Isaiah and Ezekiel, but they say basically the same thing as Jeremiah.

Some say that we should not judge people, and they are right when judging someone concerning their hair style, clothing, habits, which church they attend, etc., but the Scripture as we see from Jeremiah, we should judge and call out false prophets and teachers as we see Jeremiah doing. We can be accused of not being loving, divisive, hateful, etc., and so on, but Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Elijah, Jesus, Paul, John and Peter all said the same things about false prophets, and so should we regardless of what we are accused of.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I became a Christian in the late 1960s, the books by E.W. Kenyon were popular among Pentecostals. I read a number of his books and found them insightful and encouraging. I learned that I am the righteousness of God in Christ through his writing.

What I found was that his version of 'confession of faith' was that we confess God's Word out loud to enhance our faith. It goes along with "Believe in the heart concerning righteousness and confession of the mouth for salvation." He wrote bring out attention to what the Word of God said about us, and that we should believe it and confess it.

It is said that Kenyon was the initiator of the modern Word-Faith movement. Some have questioned some of the elements that influenced him, but these don't come through in the books I read. The only theological bit that I disagree with is that Jesus went to hell between the Cross and the Throne, something that the modern Word-Faith teachers assert.

But Kenyon's teaching was nothing like modern Word-Faith prosperity teaching. He never used "naming and claiming" to get a bigger bank balance, bigger house, the latest luxury motor car, or a fleet of private jets to travel around the world. What Kenyon concentrated on was to have stronger faith in God's Word. I did not detect anything like: "If you believe hard enough, it will happen", as modern Word-Faith teachers would have their disciples believe.

But in the last ten years, we have seen a rise of Word-Faith prosperity teachers that promise greater wealth in return for a "seed faith" offering, not to the poor, but to their own ministries. Kenneth Copeland said that giving to the poor instead of his ministry was akin to losing God's blessing of prosperity. The only way to prosperity was to give to his ministry. Benny Hinn promises guaranteed physical healing if people give $1000 to his ministry.

The problem with that is as with any pyramid scheme, it is the man at the top who gets the most wealth, while those further down get little or nothing. The promises of prosperity and guaranteed healing never seem to materialise in spite of the talk and motivational speech making.

Also, we have a Word-Faith teacher telling us that God only does what we give Him permission to do, and another saying that to be like Jesus is to become little 'gods' and are able to do what Jesus did. They say that Jesus was not God while on earth, but just a man empowered by the Holy Spirit, that He only became God when He was resurrected. These teachings are just plain blasphemy and heresy. In the light of teaching like these, one can come only to one conclusion: these false teachers teaching another gospel, and therefore are outside of the Christian faith. They are not born again.

E W Kenyon never taught these heresies. He encouraged his readers to abide by the Word of God, to confess it by faith, and personalise the promises for themselves. His book, "The Father And His Family" is a powerful account of the Gospel and clearly describes how Jesus paid our debt of sin when He suffered and died on the Cross, rose again on the third day, and presented His blood in the heavenly Holy of Holies, and is now at the right hand of the Father, interceding for us.

The modern Word-Faith movement teaches none of this, nor do they teach repentance from sin. They teach that being Christian is to be healthy, wealthy and motivated to have positive thoughts about themselves. They teach that any kind of negative thinking robs people of the blessing. Kenyon never taught those things.

It is a tragedy that the Word-Faith movement, a small part of the Charismatic movement, looked upon mainly as outside of the mainstream in the 1970s-80s, has now overtaken much of the mainstream that the waters are so muddied, that true, Bible-believing Charismatics are hidden under the weight of the false teachers and prophets. It is a fulfillment of Jesus' parable of the wheat and the tares. Some have tried to weed out the false teachers and prophets, but in the process, true Charismatics are being harmed and disillusioned, with many abandoning the movement and even adopting cessationism.

I think that true, Bible-believing, and Reformed Charismatics should take a stronger stand in calling out and opposing the false Word-Faith teachers and prophets, instead of feeling threatened and defensive toward those who are doing what they can to expose and call the false teachers and prophets out by teaching what the Scriptures actually say what the true Gospel of Christ is.
The foundation of any " teaching" must always come from a source of purity the Gospel of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. E.W. Kenyon folded " New Thought" into the Gospel thus corrupting truth which paved the way for what we know today as the Word of Faith movement. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The foundation of any " teaching" must always come from a source of purity the Gospel of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. E.W. Kenyon folded " New Thought" into the Gospel thus corrupting truth which paved the way for what we know today as the Word of Faith movement. Blessings.
I know that. In his book "The Inner Man" his questionable theology is there. Incidentally, Watchman Nee's "The Spiritual Man" contained the same theology. Many Pentecostals of my earlier days talked of "spirituality" meaning our own spirituality rather than the indwelling Holy Spirit. Now I believe that inner spirituality of our own is more New Age thinking than Gospel. As far as true spirituality goes, we are all in the same boat, because we all drink of the same Spirit. New Age "Christian" spirituality causes some to appear to be "glow in the dark" Christians who have a better developed spirituality than the common herd. These are the ones who seem to be closer to God, have regular person to person conversations with Him, have miraculous experiences, etc., while the rest of us get nothing like that and wonder if there is something wrong with us that we seem to be living normal lives, and many are frustrated because they don't know how to be like the "glow in the dark" ones, and so they buy their books that contain the five points of success, but find that what they read doesn't actually work in practice. The only ones who benefit then are the ones who write and sell the books and make truckloads of money and then claim that God is blessing them with prosperity.

All this goes back to the questionable theology about spirituality, that even though Christians are born again equal, some are more equal than others.

I have moved on from E W Kenyon now, and have a more Biblical view of Christian spirituality that doesn't involve positive thinking or mind control.

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Long time ago and at the local level, we were taught to speak scriptures out loud as a means to empower prayer. The theory being that the words of God are powerful.

I`ve got too much to say to God on my own to make that a practice of mine but I`ve always seen some merit in the idea. If I got into an argument with a fallen angel I would certainly speak some scriptures at it that is assuming I didn't choose to bean it on the head with my great-grandmas Bible that I have in my closet instead. It's a hardback.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Metaphysics and prosperity gospel are closely linked, but one acknowledges science and the other acknowledges God. The false acknowledge their pastors. jmho

Not sure how you connect Watchman Nee with that Oscar?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Metaphysics and prosperity gospel are closely linked, but one acknowledges science and the other acknowledges God. The false acknowledge their pastors. jmho

Not sure how you connect Watchman Nee with that Oscar?
Watchman Nee talks about the spiritual man inferring that the Christian has a spirituality of his own instead of true spirituality being the indwelling Holy Spirit alone working through sinful man saved by the grace of God.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Watchman Nee talks about the spiritual man inferring that the Christian has a spirituality of his own instead of true spirituality being the indwelling Holy Spirit alone working through sinful man saved by the grace of God.
That's not unusual these days for recognition of the triunity of body/soul/spirit of human beings. Once it was just body and soul recognized and not that long ago.

Upvote 0