you're not right with God if you forsake church.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Which school of thought was that?
(I am guessing the Pharisees over the Sadducees...)
Well, yes as the Sadducees didn't believe in an afterlife. The Sadducees ruled the Sanhedrin but two of the main leaders of the Temple I referred to were Hillel and Shammai, Pharisees who like Christians today with their faith, held opposing views on Judaism.

• Informative
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟75,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
No this forum is not church, no, a bible study isn't church. Church is a congregation, assembly, theres pastors, elders, deacons it isn't some free for all there are specific instructions for how Church is to operate decently and in order.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,955.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No this forum is not church, no, a bible study isn't church. Church is a congregation, assembly, theres pastors, elders, deacons it isn't some free for all there are specific instructions for how Church is to operate decently and in order.
The word used in Matthew is Ekklesia - which simply means a gathering, or calling out of people. It has been translated as "Church" but it's not restricted to gatherings of believers.
All born again believers are Church; God's people.
There are congregations, or assemblies of God's people, that meet to worship in cathedrals, or heavily decorated buildings, with fonts, pulpits, organs, church pews and clergy who wear ornate robes. There are those who meet in straw, or mud, huts with no musical instruments and a lack of hymn books, theological resources or church furniture. Some Christians meet in schools, coffee shops etc. There may well be one person who leads, or they may take it in turns, with every member being able to exercise the gift that God has given.
The early church used to meet in each other's houses; when they were being persecuted they met in catacombs. Did they stop being church - and Jesus' witnesses - because they may not have had elders or deacons with them?

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All born again believers are Church; God's people.

The early church used to meet in each other's houses; when they were being persecuted they met in catacombs. Did they stop being church - and Jesus' witnesses - because they may not have had elders or deacons with them?
Exactly. It's not a building, it's the people.

Romans 16:5 "Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Salute my well beloved Epaenetus , who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ."

This verse specifically states that one, the church is the body/assembly, not a specific building. Two, the church met in a house.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What does it mean to "forsake the assembly as some do"? What were these pagans doing which was forsaking the assembly?
Pharisees attended some of the assemblies (groups of people) gathered around Christ and asked Him questions, but were they also forsaking the assembly?
Does forsake mean abandon or something else?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does forsake mean abandon or something else?
"as the manner of some is" would not be referring to Christians, but an activity of other false religious, since he is addressing Christians about others. I do not think other religions cared that much about regular weekly attendance. Pagans could be putting their gods down for not helping them (which these gods could not do).

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"as the manner of some is" would not be referring to Christians, but an activity of other false religious,...
That is a really twisted interpretation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That is a really twisted interpretation.
I find their grammar interesting, "other false religions".

The Church that keeps the sixth day use the word religion interchangeable with Law, so they could say, "other false Laws", so really there are three things, The day, the Law, and the God, each requiring assemblies.

Islam assembles on Friday, their Law is unknown to me.

The Universal Church assembles on Sunday, their Law is the Law of the God of Israel abrogated.

The church of the God of Israel assembles on the seventh day and on seven other Holy days and keeps the Law specified by Moses to which Christ made no change.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

65James

Feb 18, 2024
Minnesota
✟7,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hebrews 10:25 says "and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." Let me ask you, do we need more Church in 2024, or less?, we need more church, and Don't listen to these unsaved false prophet YouTubers who tell you it is ok to commit the sin of forsaking church, Psalms 22:22 "in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee." Hebrews 2:12 “in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee". Matthew 6:33 "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." it's in that order. all these things are added unto you when you seek first the Kingdom, his righteousness not your own righteousness. Even if you're attending church to tick that box, then tick that box, amen? God commands us go to church.

Christians need preaching today on showing up to church, church attendance. Most don't want to talk about it. but the bible says "and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." because so many today are forsaking, even saved believers are forsaking, it's all over social media, telling you to not go to church, forsake church, Youtube people attack church, hate church, say don't go to church. they say church is not a house of God. it's so negative and you will get hit with it. nobody ever says "go to church" it's anti church and negative. and gaslighting. in fact they will say no it's actually a sin to go to church because you're worshipping with people who sin. well good thing Jesus died for sinners, not sinless perfectionists. And then people will be anti-tithe as well, they say don't tithe or give money to the church, when nowhere in the NT did Jesus ever repeal the tithing command.

I know that the devil will hit you, as soon as you leave the house of God, the bad thoughts and excuses start coming in. "so and so was mean to me, so and so from the church hurt my feelings with their words to me, they didn't shake my hand today they must not like me, don't go back" and I confess the devil hits me with this too, it upset me one time, I was sad about it for multiple minutes. that is why I keep my words few in Gods house now really few because I don't wan't to upset a saved believer, a saint, or cause a saint to stumble.

now when it happens and someone in the church does something offensive against me I just forgive and forget immediately. the amount of foolish things and lies the devil says to you. Just Remember Hebrews 10:25 and know God commands us to go to church, you're never in sin for attending church. when someone tells you not to go to church, that's not of God. God didn't tell you that. God says go to church. Look, make all the excuses in your head, then go anyway. Most times I feel really good leaving church, and upbeat glad I went. but other times the devil attacks sometimes its right away. that is why I don't trust my feelings, rather I trust the word of God. and the word of God says go to church. So that's what I'm going to do, and so much more as ye see the day approaching. And I know that I'm doing Gods will by attending the congregation. assembling with Gods people.

the excuses people have for not going to church are endless, and you say "well, there are just too many hypocrites at church" listen there are hypocrites everywhere that's how it is in this fallen sinful world, at some point you have to just say "I'm going to church no matter what because I love God" that is what I did when the anti-church thoughts start coming in I go back to Hebrews 10:25 hit the devil with the word of God clear scriptures. Instead of leaning on my own understanding. I hit the false prophets with clear scripture. Are there bad churches out there yes, there are lose your salvation, works salvation false prophet churches all over the place. make sure it is a faith alone King James church. a scriptural church that God is blessing and actually preaches the word of God. and people read cover to cover bible, not a crazy and strange doctrine false church, or compromising false church. and try not to get offended, or look for reasons to forsake church. and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Just go and worship God and think about pleasing God. Church is a good thing not a bad thing. You are commanded by God to go, and to not forsake because you never know when the Pastor is going to preach a sermon that was meant just for you. Yet you missed it. and listening online is not the same thing. Listening online is good to do also, but that doesn't replace church attendance, it doesn't count as biblical church.

This has nothing to do with salvation, there will be people in heaven who never went to church at all, but that doesn't mean it is good to not go to church. I don't beg people to go to church, I will beg people to be saved by grace through faith, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved, the death burial resurrection, faith alone in Christ alone, Jesus paid it all, once saved always saved, free gift of eternal life salvation. I am simply preaching what the bible says, and the bible says you are not to forsake the assembling. and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
I apologize as an elderly single man who went to primary IBFC, I find fault with your post, sick of people especially in this denomination telling me I had the gift of singleness like it a great thing, yet none of them would want it. We go to church for fellowship but most churches have cliques which are hard for many to crack so why go if you are totally ignored. And most modern churches fail to edify and provoke unto love as the verse previous to Hebrews 10:25 states. Not only is this bad enough, but add to it that few Churches practice Paul command in Galatians 5:13-15 to use our individual liberty by serving one anther in love, and instead do exactly what he warns against by biting and devouring one another and consuming each other.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟512,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hebrews 10:25 says "and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." Let me ask you, do we need more Church in 2024, or less?, we need more church, and Don't listen to these unsaved false prophet YouTubers who tell you it is ok to commit the sin of forsaking church, Psalms 22:22 "in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee." Hebrews 2:12 “in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee". Matthew 6:33 "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." it's in that order. all these things are added unto you when you seek first the Kingdom, his righteousness not your own righteousness. Even if you're attending church to tick that box, then tick that box, amen? God commands us go to church.

Christians need preaching today on showing up to church, church attendance. Most don't want to talk about it. but the bible says "and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." because so many today are forsaking, even saved believers are forsaking, it's all over social media, telling you to not go to church, forsake church, Youtube people attack church, hate church, say don't go to church. they say church is not a house of God. it's so negative and you will get hit with it. nobody ever says "go to church" it's anti church and negative. and gaslighting. in fact they will say no it's actually a sin to go to church because you're worshipping with people who sin. well good thing Jesus died for sinners, not sinless perfectionists. And then people will be anti-tithe as well, they say don't tithe or give money to the church, when nowhere in the NT did Jesus ever repeal the tithing command.

I know that the devil will hit you, as soon as you leave the house of God, the bad thoughts and excuses start coming in. "so and so was mean to me, so and so from the church hurt my feelings with their words to me, they didn't shake my hand today they must not like me, don't go back" and I confess the devil hits me with this too, it upset me one time, I was sad about it for multiple minutes. that is why I keep my words few in Gods house now really few because I don't wan't to upset a saved believer, a saint, or cause a saint to stumble.

now when it happens and someone in the church does something offensive against me I just forgive and forget immediately. the amount of foolish things and lies the devil says to you. Just Remember Hebrews 10:25 and know God commands us to go to church, you're never in sin for attending church. when someone tells you not to go to church, that's not of God. God didn't tell you that. God says go to church. Look, make all the excuses in your head, then go anyway. Most times I feel really good leaving church, and upbeat glad I went. but other times the devil attacks sometimes its right away. that is why I don't trust my feelings, rather I trust the word of God. and the word of God says go to church. So that's what I'm going to do, and so much more as ye see the day approaching. And I know that I'm doing Gods will by attending the congregation. assembling with Gods people.

the excuses people have for not going to church are endless, and you say "well, there are just too many hypocrites at church" listen there are hypocrites everywhere that's how it is in this fallen sinful world, at some point you have to just say "I'm going to church no matter what because I love God" that is what I did when the anti-church thoughts start coming in I go back to Hebrews 10:25 hit the devil with the word of God clear scriptures. Instead of leaning on my own understanding. I hit the false prophets with clear scripture. Are there bad churches out there yes, there are lose your salvation, works salvation false prophet churches all over the place. make sure it is a faith alone King James church. a scriptural church that God is blessing and actually preaches the word of God. and people read cover to cover bible, not a crazy and strange doctrine false church, or compromising false church. and try not to get offended, or look for reasons to forsake church. and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Just go and worship God and think about pleasing God. Church is a good thing not a bad thing. You are commanded by God to go, and to not forsake because you never know when the Pastor is going to preach a sermon that was meant just for you. Yet you missed it. and listening online is not the same thing. Listening online is good to do also, but that doesn't replace church attendance, it doesn't count as biblical church.

This has nothing to do with salvation, there will be people in heaven who never went to church at all, but that doesn't mean it is good to not go to church. I don't beg people to go to church, I will beg people to be saved by grace through faith, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved, the death burial resurrection, faith alone in Christ alone, Jesus paid it all, once saved always saved, free gift of eternal life salvation. I am simply preaching what the bible says, and the bible says you are not to forsake the assembling. and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Your conclusion possibly is true but your verses do not discuss forsaking the church.

“in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee." Hebrews 2:12 “in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee". Matthew 6:33 "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

None proscribe forsaking the church.

“in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee." Is a statement of what he will do and where but doesn’t proscribe anything or establish the place as sacrosanct. Your logic is parallel to at a movie I will purchase popcorn as forsaking movie going as wrong.

Hebrews 2:12 “in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee" A statement merely declaring where someone will do something but doesn’t assert the “where” cannot be forsaken:

Matthew 6:33 "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Says nothing about the church on earth.

Upvote 0