Wonder why Trump supporters stick with him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItIsFinished!

Jesus Christ is our only hope.
Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have 40 years of experience dealing with evangelical conservative Christians. I grew up in a family full of them and in a small rural town full of them too. I remember the racist and derogatory names these Christians called minorities and Jews. I have also had to continuously deal with these Christians during the 27 years I've been actively involved in Native American social justice and political activism.

I will never forget one such Christian telling me when I was a child that the entire worth of my People (Native Americans) could be found at the bottle of a whiskey bottle. I will never forget being told as a child by an evangelical Christian pastor that the native blood flowing through my veins was filthy and that I would burn in hell if I didn't forsake my Native American heritage. I will never forget how I was lost my Native American heritage and identity because I grew up in an evangelical Christian family.

So, don't tell me I'm so in the dark.
If I were you , I would judge ALL evangelicals from your rural hometown as a whole , because that would make complete sense.
Ole Yarddog might even give you a laughing emoticon .
Labels don't jive friend.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I were you , I would judge ALL evangelicals from your rural hometown as a whole , because that would make complete sense.
Ole Yarddog might even give you a laughing emote .
Labels don't jive friend.

All I need to do is recall how I've been treated by the majority of evangelical Christians I've known throughout the 40 years of my life after I was adopted, which includes the years of my adult life too. I will, however, admit that about 10% of the evangelicals I know in IRL and online, including a couple on this site, are completely different from the 90% of evangelical Christians I have had to deal with while growing up and during my 27 years as a Native American social justice and poltical activist. I have never had a problem with any of the evangelicals within that 10% degrading me or my heritage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ItIsFinished!

Jesus Christ is our only hope.
Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I could do that, but all I need to honestly do is recall how I've been treated by evangelical Christians throughout the 40 years of my life after I was adopted, which includes the years of my adult life too. However, I will admit that about 10% of the evangelicals I know in IRL and online, including a couple on this site, are completely different from the 90% of evangelical Christians I have had to deal with while growing up and during my 27 years as a Native American social justice and poltical activist. I have never had a problem with any of the evangelicals within that 10% degrading me or my heritage.
Friend , no one should treat you differently regardless of your heritage .
Bottom line, you and I and them are all created in the image/likeness of our Lord and Saviour Jesus the Christ.
Ain't no time to hate.(this is not towards you, but general)
I just hope you don't (not saying you are) pass resentment and judgment on a group of individuals in general .

• Friendly
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

My parents are both uncritical Trump supporters. They now live in a completely different bubble than I do, one that is driven by the internet, social media, and Fox News. They minimize the harm that Trump does on issues that are personally important to me, that they should care about as my parents, and they pretend that somehow he is under control by the conservative movement.

So I think that is probably the reason. People are unfamiliar with other ideas and other ways of viewing the world.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
I have 40 years of experience dealing with evangelical conservative Christians. I grew up in a family full of them and in a small rural town full of them too. I remember the racist and derogatory names these Christians called minorities and Jews. I have also had to continuously deal with these Christians during the 27 years I've been actively involved in Native American social justice and political activism.

I will never forget one such Christian telling me when I was a child that the entire worth of my People (Native Americans) could be found at the bottle of a whiskey bottle. I will never forget being told as a child by an evangelical Christian pastor that the native blood flowing through my veins was filthy and that I would burn in hell if I didn't forsake my Native American heritage. I will never forget how I was lost my Native American heritage and identity because I grew up in an evangelical Christian family.

So, don't tell me I'm so in the dark.

I'm white and even I've been treated badly by those sorts. Calvinists mostly. They used to harass me and say I'm going to hell. It's sad.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
No, it's not shameful. Trump isn't Hitler but the mechanisms are the same within the minds of their supporters. The conservative brain reacts the same.

Of course, it has been shown this kind of authoritarian mindset is driven by fear and is partly explained by biology. It has been shown that authoritarian conservatives have amygdalas, the region of the brain responsible for emotions, particularly attuned to fearful messages and imagery.

These kinds of people need biofeedback and meditation training, frankly, to learn to manage their fears realistically. Sadly enough, many of them belong to religious groups or espouse ideologies that would probably resist that kind of self-work as a necessary part of spirituality and mental health.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Those are very poor conjectures from Psychology Today. Another example of how the media and liberals just do not get it. Trump is President because of his POLICIES. Specifically, his views on immigration, trade, taxes, abortion, conservative judges, and guns. Of course opponents of Trump prefer more redistribution in the form of health care, guaranteed income, more welfare, along with more open borders, gun control and pro-abortion policies.

As a Canadian I'm utterly freaked out by the gun obsession most of the American right has.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes and the article says that and why you don't. Your brains are wired to respond to fear, so when Trump makes false claims which make you respond to fear, you can't help yourself. It's a lot like what happened in Nazi Germany under Hitler.
That really isn't even remotely true, it isn't people on my side that claim they will leave America if somebody they don't like gets elected. The left melted down in fear the night Trump got elected... there are all sorts of videos with rooms of people crying, shocked and nearly in tears reporters... all fearing the future. Nothing has changed accept the desperation and tactics of the left.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
That really isn't even remotely true, it isn't people on my side that claim they will leave America if somebody they don't like gets elected. The left melted down in fear the night Trump got elected... there are all sorts of videos with rooms of people crying, shocked and nearly in tears reporters... all fearing the future. Nothing has changed accept the desperation and tactics of the left.

Yet most liberals actually haven't left the US. Whereas many conservatives did buy into a politics of fear in 2016.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yet most liberals actually haven't left the US. Whereas many conservatives did buy into a politics of fear in 2016.
Says who, the side that lost that truly do control most media outlets? I have no fear, not when Obama was in, not when Trump is in. We have had 2 years of an all Republican government and said media virtually predicted Armageddon (pushing fear) and 2 years later things are generally as good or better than they were. So it is all to do about nothing!

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Says who, the side that lost that truly do control most media outlets? I have no fear, not when Obama was in, not when Trump is in. We have had 2 years of an all Republican government and said media virtually predicted Armageddon (pushing fear) and 2 years later things are generally as good or better than they were. So it is all to do about nothing!

Better in what way? Evaluating the situation only in terms of the economy seems overly narrow. Trump has done alot to normalize extreme ideologies and his rhetoric is alienating and divisive, both internationally and domestically.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,456.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That really isn't even remotely true, it isn't people on my side that claim they will leave America if somebody they don't like gets elected.
LOL, the thing the article shows is the denial of what Conservatives do and say and YES, Conservatives threatened to leave America if Obama was elected. Twitter was full of them. It was crazy. Republicans said that they were moving to Australia, Canada, London, etc. and those had higher taxes, single payer health care, and gun control laws, which they hated Obama for. LOL These are just wild claims people make every election period.

I think that Liberals say it more than Conservatives but probably because it would be much easier for them to find a country which fits than a Conservative could. For Conservatives, even a Democrat president is better than moving to another country which would tax them more than the US would.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,227,028.00
Country
United States