Women as pastors question

U

Urbanredneck

(Note-please dont flame or throw things at me.)

I am totally supportive of women being in the pulpit and being pastors and all. My only problem is I've never seen a good one. Years ago when I went to the Methodists we had a couple and while they were good godly, christian women, I just wasnt impressed with their sermons (meaning they were read from a script) or their leadership abilities.

Now I've found women make some of the best laypeople and workers in the church. They also make good teachers, counselors, and run church offices well.

So what do you all think? Have you seen many effective female lead pastors? Is their a sexist bias in this? I know in the missionary field many house churches are pastored very effectively by women.

And then with young peope, while they work with the children, I've yet to meet a high school age youth minister who was female. Do you all think their is a sexist bias in this?

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Actually, women should not be pastors.
Women was deceived by the serpent in the garden while Adam was not deceived, Adam made a choice.

Unless you disagree with the word on this?
Lets see just how far gone people are from what God says after reading this.

11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15 But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

Women and child bearing = family type duties, not women and teaching = church authority. In Fact it even says women to be quiet like.

Perhaps woman are more easily deceived by Satan. Or perhaps this judgement is a result of the fall.

See the church is falling away already from what God says.
I have no problem with women teaching children.

Women who push for and desire leadership positions over men are in rebellion against God.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
1 Corinthians 14:34 - Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

Notice the second part, '...but they are commanded to be under obedience.' Paul writes this, and then Paul writes, '...as also saith the law.'

Where does the Law of Moses command that women be under obedience?

Genesis 3:16 - Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

God says women will desire to be like men, having authority, BUT the man shall rule over the women. Women who become priests, bishops, pastors, church leaders, apostles, teachers of men, and so on, anywhere they would have authority over men, are directly going against what God said long ago.
Modern progressive theology, part of the end times deception, the rebellion, the falling away, the doctrines of demons, the itching ears..perverting the orders of God himself, which the world and Satan love to do.

Ephesians 5:22 - Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I am totally supportive of women being in the pulpit and being pastors and all. My only problem is I've never seen a good one. Years ago when I went to the Methodists we had a couple and while they were good godly, christian women, I just wasnt impressed with their sermons (meaning they were read from a script) or their leadership abilities.

Now I've found women make some of the best laypeople and workers in the church. They also make good teachers, counselors, and run church offices well.

So what do you all think? Have you seen many effective female lead pastors? Is their a sexist bias in this? I know in the missionary field many house churches are pastored very effectively by women.

And then with young peope, while they work with the children, I've yet to meet a high school age youth minister who was female. Do you all think their is a sexist bias in this?
Did you know that Charles Wesley used to read out his own sermons? He figured that if God had given him a good sermon to preach, why change it the next time he preached on the topic ^_^ I think your problem may simply be personal experience, there are good ministers and, erm, not so good one of either gender. It is worth reading the greetings sections of Paul's epistles, he really had a very high opinion of the women ministers he mentions.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I haven't attended a church with a "senior" female pastor, but I have attended churches where an associate or assistant female pastor gave the sermon and not only were sermons from these ladies passionate and relevant but there have been times they spoke straight into our particular lives as only God can.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
As I thought, the idea is repugnant to some that God's word says not to allow women to teach or have authority over men. With some saying it is the power of God when they hear these women preach. Even though God's word says it is not what the will of God is. Well yes go ahead and pick your verses to follow, ignoring the others, even when an action is prohibited. This is the end time church that follows its own ways, not the Lord's.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

There was one effective Methodist female pastor I really liked. I prefer male pastors myself, which are harder and harder to find in Methodist churches around here unfortunately. She was the pastor at a small church in my town, very close to me. Her sermons and delivery of them were excellent. Her mother attended the church as well and when I complimented her daughter on the excellent sermon, the mother and daughter are always quick to point out it is not them who is owed the praise for it, but God for sharing His word. (not quoted per word there, but that's the gest of it.)

I stopped going to the church, but not because of the pastor.

I do completely agree women can be some of the best helpers in the church. I'm always astounded by a lot of the dedication to form groups, getting things organized, events, and enthusiasm.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
As far as gender goes the strongest arguements are for male pastors. But it's funny I've met many male pastors that don't qualify as a shephard by many other biblical criteria (like love) that are equaly if not more important.If I'm going to go to a church and the only disqualifier in a female pastor is her gender and the disqualifier in the male pastor is his lack of love, I prefer the female pastor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You have never seen a good one because they shouldn't be doing it at all. The Bible is clear that the man is the spiritual head. Women are to submit to that authority. Women can teach other women as well as children but they should not be leading men or an entire congregation. It's not Biblical and therefore won't be blessed by God.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I thought, the idea is repugnant to some that God's word says not to allow women to teach or have authority over men. With some saying it is the power of God when they hear these women preach. Even though God's word says it is not what the will of God is. Well yes go ahead and pick your verses to follow, ignoring the others, even when an action is prohibited. This is the end time church that follows its own ways, not the Lord's.
Yet you seem to be happy to pick and choose which verses to follow as well so why do you condemn others who do that (in your view). If women are to be quiet they can not teach children as they are a part of the church. Just because we send them out to a separate program where they can receive age appropriate teaching it is still in church. So perhaps you should repent of your sinful views or better still acknowledge it isn't so clear cut.

However it would also be interesting to see how you form your view with full context of the passage. By full context I don't just mean the surrounding verses but also the letter the writing is in and the bible as well as cultural context of the time plus context of exactly what was happening in the church and places the letter was being written to for starters. There is other context that must be considered as well to gain the true meaning of any passage. So feel free to explain all that as I would be interested in reading it.

Upvote 0
E

Eric Hibbert

The Bible does not allow for women pastors or women in authority in the Church.

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Here's what I remember about the Paul passage regarding women.

If memory serves, there's this pagan temple to the goddess of fertility or something, going on next door to the church. Wasn't it Ephesus?

Anyways they're all dancing around in there doing whacky pagan stuff. Stuff that should go on in the bedroom...

The pagan temple is run by women priestesses.

Now again it's been a while since I studied the topic.

But the King James has the best interpretation of this word according to the scholar. It uses this funny phrase in the Greek, when it says don't allow women to usurp authority.
Almost in a violent sense, though not quite. It's a strange word that's only used once in scripture if I recall correctly.

Have a study of this it's been a while since I looked at it.

the key phrase is "egalitarianism."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chaoticfirefly

reform jew
May 20, 2011
Visit site
✟109,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, women should not be pastors.
Women was deceived by the serpent in the garden while Adam was not deceived, Adam made a choice.

Unless you disagree with the word on this?
Lets see just how far gone people are from what God says after reading this.

Women and child bearing = family type duties, not women and teaching = church authority. In Fact it even says women to be quiet like.

Perhaps woman are more easily deceived by Satan. Or perhaps this judgement is a result of the fall.

See the church is falling away already from what God says.
I have no problem with women teaching children.

Women who push for and desire leadership positions over men are in rebellion against God.

Paul was a known sexist.

Also, go back to pre-1900s, please.

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I believe you would have to argue long and hard to deny a woman the right to be a pastor...."there is no Greek, or Jew, male or female" in the Kingdom.

Soooo, I grew up in the AG that always has allowed women to be in ministry. I actually heard some evangelistic women that can really preach! So I affirm the practice.

BUT. I would prefer a pastor be a man. Culturally I'm just more comfortable with it.

Upvote 0

AnInnocentBystander

Opinionated belligerent
Feb 3, 2013
Infront of my laptop.
✟7,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
OP you're asking if it's possible things outside of your personal experience could actually happen, that question seems a bit silly.

Also this whole "durr hurr teh wimminz shuld submit 2 men" idea a lot of people here seem to vomit out is staggering, I'm sure your mothers/sisters/daughters/wives would love to hear about how you think they're essentially subhumans who need anything with a Y chromosome to be a bastion of intelligence in their seas of ignorance.

Upvote 0
O

OntheHorizon

Yes its sexist. There is no possibility that men could be inherently better at this. There is no nonsexist way to say woman dont make as good christian leaders. I am a christian not a Paulistian and Paul lived in very sexist times and places and he was wrong about women.

Upvote 0