Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This is the part of his post that I was replying to:

it does not deal with Paul's statement that the distinctions between male and female, slave and free, Jew and Greek, disappear in Christ.

OK. So what is your take on Paul's statement in Galatians?

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If all "distinctions" between the followers of Christ "disappear," we don't need pastors at all, and this problem is solved!^_^
You should read the other passages like 1Cor 12 where Paul talks of there being neither Jew not Greek. The old natural distinctions disappear, but the Holy Spirit knits us together into a new body, the body of Christ, made up of different members, with different gifts and ministries.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You should read the other passages like 1Cor 12 where Paul talks of there being neither Jew not Greek. The old natural distinctions disappear, but the Holy Spirit knits us together into a new body, the body of Christ, made up of different members, with different gifts and ministries.

Exactly. Different ministries = women not to be pastors.

Upvote 0

homeofmew

Master Trainer
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟28,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think the bible does say we are not to not have a pastor position, but there have been many female leader outside the church in the bible and it never deems that as being sinful. The cultural era has changed since bible times and really modern women weren't even allowed to vote until 1920.

The bible also says if a virgin gets raped, the rapist has to buy her as a wife.
We totally don't follow that today.

I believe in the original translation of the bible it made it clear what was a cultural norm.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The entire notion of a 'pastor position' is unbiblical to the core. Each group will consist of variously gifted people who are to function jointly as their ministry gift to Father's family. That concept seems far to challenging and insecure for many. But Jesus said :

John 3:8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." NIV

Or Paul: 1 Cor 12:7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. NIV

It is far easier to be led than be truly lead by the Spirit. A leadership figurehead is so much easier to live with.

In reality it's not just exclusion of women in some circles, but the virtual shut down of most people apart from having roles and functions Sunday School teacher, parking lot attendant, usher, choir member etc. Where are the gifts Paul saw as normative amongst
God's people?

This post could easily lead off topic very quickly. But my point is relevant; the issue is much bigger that a 'woman fully participating in all any any aspects of our gathered life.

John
NZ

Reactions: quietpraiyze
Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The entire notion of a 'pastor position' is unbiblical to the core. Each group will consist of variously gifted people who are to function jointly as their ministry gift to Father's family. That concept seems far to challenging and insecure for many. But Jesus said :

John 3:8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." NIV

Or Paul: 1 Cor 12:7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. NIV

It is far easier to be led than be truly lead by the Spirit. A leadership figurehead is so much easier to live with.

In reality it's not just exclusion of women in some circles, but the virtual shut down of most people apart from having roles and functions Sunday School teacher, parking lot attendant, usher, choir member etc. Where are the gifts Paul saw as normative amongst
God's people?

This post could easily lead off topic very quickly. But my point is relevant; the issue is much bigger that a 'woman fully participating in all any any aspects of our gathered life.

John
NZ

Can you start a new thread about this? I'd be interested.

Upvote 0

mandyangel

Aug 27, 2010
✟18,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I think I'm in the minority on this but I don't think women should be allowed to be preachers. The Bible is very clear that women are NOT to userp authority over men and should not hold power over them. I don't even speak in Church, I know that's not for everybody but to me, these scriptures on being a woman in the kingdom of God are what my dad raised me and my sisters on and they are very important to us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0