Windows 8 / 8.1..... How Do We Stay Sane????

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, my replacement computer came in and it has Windows 8.1. I decided to go with this OS because it would be easier for me to upgrade to Windows 9 when it became available. I thought of pretty much everything as far as compatibility goes with my files and software but I'm down right stuck on the issue of Windows fax and scan and trying to make it work with a 'compatible' external fax modem.

computer-smash.gif
throw-computer.gif
emoticon-00127-lipssealed.gif

The first thing I noticed is that Microsoft is far too concerned with installing multiple apps I have no interest in, advertising and tracking my movements and they are far less concerned about ensuring good recovery set up, computer maintainence, logical organization and a fax and scan that actually works!

The thing is despite my reservations and wanting to skip right on over Windows 8, I honestly went into this program with an open mind but....

computer-smash.gif
throw-computer.gif

EphesiaNZ

It's me! Who else could it be...
Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we the users have to have to pay the price. Hogwash!

Plenty of alternatives out there now such as MacOS, Ubuntu Linux and ChromeOS etc... End users must stand up and be counted - if you don't like it don't use it.

Upvote 0

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Stupid question but, why are you using an external fax/modem these days?

Also welcome to the growing numbers of people who are finding Microsoft not worth staying with for their future computing.

I really wanted to avoid Windows 8 altogether but ... just couldn't with the replacement computer. There wasn't a lot to choose from. ;) Besides be easier to upgrade to 9 when it comes out.

I do paper work and lots of it has to be sent in a particular way. Can't be email etc. Needs to be fax or snail mail and I save so much money if I have my own system. I need to be very very mindful of privacy too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I still have windows 7 on this computer, but windows 8 on others........I hate it. Its is like they can do something different even though it is not better or easier, but they do it because they can, we the users have to have to pay the price. Hogwash!

I hear you. :) I'm am a huge fan of Windows 7. :thumbsup: I also liked XP but wanted to avoid vista and managed to do that but not so with 8. :doh:

Yes, we pay the price...literally. ;) The thing is these big computer companies are too use to getting their way. ...and some people thinking using Apple products is an alternative solution to avoid being taken advantage of is plain silly. They try to monopolize the industry and over charge us not just for their products but for every little thing we need to use those products. Not saying some of their products aren't good but just that they are one of the leaders of taking advantage of us as consumers imo. So I don't know what the solution is. If I had the time and more knowledge I'd want to build my own computers but I'm just not in the position to do that.

One has to be shrewd and smart when dealing with these big companies but... it just isn't pleasant. Thanks for posting.

Upvote 0

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Plenty of alternatives out there now such as MacOS, Ubuntu Linux and ChromeOS etc... End users must stand up and be counted - if you don't like it don't use it.

I appreciate your input and I hear what you're saying... I really do. I'm big on speaking up and boycotting etc. However, some of us have to really consider compatibility etc. ...and availability. If it was as simple as just using something different, I really think many of us would be doing so. I would be if it didn't create so many complications etc. Also, like we touch on in the other thread I started, I think all these big companies have their problems etc. It almost seems like their attitude is a sickness that we all are just suppose to put up with now days. :(

Upvote 0

EphesiaNZ

Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Besides be easier to upgrade to 9 when it comes out.

Yep, will be as easy as the usual MS upgrades of recent times - good luck!

I do paper work and lots of it has to be sent in a particular way. Can't be email etc. Needs to be fax or snail mail and I save so much money if I have my own system. I need to be very very mindful of privacy too.

Have you heard about HelloFax? Not sure if it would suit your requirements or not.

Sending faxes via standard phone lines is a marginally better way than reading it out across the phone line so, I'm not sure if you have much privacy/security with this method.

Upvote 0

EphesiaNZ

Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate your input and I hear what you're saying... I really do. I'm big on speaking up and boycotting etc. However, some of us have to really consider compatibility etc. ...and availability.

I understand where you are coming from but if you look hard enough you can always find an alternative answer to your problems although, I do admit that there are some people that have to use a particular OS for their work. From what you've told us that you do, you could use pretty much any OS out there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yep, will be as easy as the usual MS upgrades of recent times - good luck!

Have you heard about HelloFax? Not sure if it would suit your requirements or not.

Sending faxes via standard phone lines is a marginally better way than reading it out across the phone line so, I'm not sure if you have much privacy/security with this method.

lol I'll take your first comment as funny sarcastism? :sorry: I assume since you're not a fan of windows.

Not big on using a faxing service / third party. Plus it can get a bit pricey etc.

A fair bit of what I do paper work wise with the computer needs to sent in specific ways... according to other peoples policy etc. However, I use my computer for more than just paper work. I could get a fax machine but it's expensive to maintain and I don't know that it would solve my problems with Windows fax and scan etc.

Any knowledge about how to get that to work... please share. :D

Upvote 0

EphesiaNZ

Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm still on Windows 7. New operating systems are released too quickly in my opinion. But I guess they are more interested in the money as opposed to the product quality. :(

Spot on!

That's what I like about Ubuntu Linux. For an average user you can get a new release every two years (or even every six months if you want) and the cost?, $0. While they like money too (if you want to give them some), they care more for the users experience.

Upvote 0

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm still on Windows 7. New operating systems are released too quickly in my opinion. But I guess they are more interested in the money as opposed to the product quality. :(

Sooo true and what makes it worse is they try to monopolize the whole industry. Right Windows 7 it is a great program! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

EphesiaNZ

Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right Windows 7 it is a great program! :thumbsup:

Well Windows 7 was definitely better than Vista and depending on your view, better than Windows 8. But 7 wasn't that that great to be honest, it's just that what you have to compare it against is poor. Windows 7 was bloated and still suffered the terrible file system speeds it inherited from its predecessor. Having said that, their OS has got better since the Vista debacle in general - I seem to remember a certain MS CEO sitting on stage saying that with Vista you wont need anti-virus software as its secure by default. Yep right, thanks Steve, perhaps you were using Linux when you wrote that line :)

As for a monopoly, i hate to say this but, while there are idiotic and/or ignorant end users willing to buy poorly conceived products then these companies will carry on their monopolies. Luckily, I think the younger generation seem a bit more clued up and are not so willing to bow to the MS machine due to their being an abundant choice of alternatives now on the market.

The computer age has now produced its offspring and MS is now the aging parent so its time for them to sit in their easy chair and let the next generation come through.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well Windows 7 was definitely better than Vista and depending on your view, better than Windows 8. But 7 wasn't that that great to be honest, it's just that what you have to compare it against is poor. Windows 7 was bloated and still suffered the terrible file system speeds it inherited from its predecessor. Having said that, their OS has got better since the Vista debacle in general - I seem to remember a certain MS CEO sitting on stage saying that with Vista you wont need anti-virus software as its secure by default. Yep right, thanks Steve, perhaps you were using Linux when you wrote that line :)

As for a monopoly, i hate to say this but, while there are idiotic and/or ignorant end users willing to buy poorly conceived products then these companies will carry on their monopolies. Luckily, I think the younger generation seem a bit more clued up and are not so willing to bow to the MS machine due to their being an abundant choice of alternatives now on the market.

The computer age has now produced its offspring and MS is now the aging parent so its time for them to sit in their easy chair and let the next generation come through.

Windows 7 is the better… However, I have to disagree. The problem is there is not an abundance of choice

Upvote 0

EphesiaNZ

Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Windows 7 is the better… However, I have to disagree. The problem is there is not an abundance of choice

Well lets start, you have some choices.

Apple - yes Apple, it's an alternative and a pretty good one.

Linux - this is an OS which I use and has been slated with a "only for geeks" OS. This is no longer true as I see more and more Windows people migrating to it - its free $0! Beat that for value. About 500 different distros (flavors) of Linux so one would most people depending on their needs - most popular are Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

Chrome OS - this is an OS from Google which is at the moment shipped with their Chromebook laptop. Based on Linux (what isn't these days) and is gaining more traction by the day. Very popular option in education in US now.

So, you do have some choice.

What are you going to try first?

Upvote 0

EphesiaNZ

Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I said before I need a great amount of compatibility. I use my computer for a whole a lot of different programs and I need the compatibility. From what I am aware none of the other operating systems are as compatible with computer programs.

Yeah, forgot about your usage but, you would be in a small percentage of users that are truly limited for what choice is available out there. From what you say about your operations, your setup isn't exactly rocket science to replicate on another OS.

Upvote 0

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, forgot about your usage but, you would be in a small percentage of users that are truly limited for what choice is available out there. From what you say about your operations, your setup isn't exactly rocket science to replicate on another OS.

So, are you saying you can make a program that isn't compatible with the operating system compatible with it… That's a whole lot of complication from my point of view.… And in some cases impossible.

Upvote 0