USA
✟146,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
For some reason, I have had issues with Cakewalk (my music software), my drawing tablet (Wacom Intuos), and Microsoft Word on my new laptop. I don't know if it's related to Windows 11 or the software itself, but I've looked all over and haven't found any way to fix them...

Cakewalk had new instruments and better quality sound the first time I opened it, but it went back to the way it was before after all my files were moved to this laptop.

My tablet's pen pressure is greater than it was on my old laptop, and sometimes it will draw or erase very faintly when I hold the pen above the tablet, or the widgets menu will pop up. It's pretty annoying sometimes.

Microsoft Word always tells me there is an installation file missing and won't let me do anything about it. If I close the message enough times it will open normally, but then it might make me save a Word 2007 document even though this is the 2003 version!

Have you ever had software/hardware work differently on a new computer?

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,639.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Assuming you re-downloaded everything, it's probably just changes been made between versions. And assuming you didn't backup your configs, these are the default settings for each of these.

Cakewalk very likely installed the new VSTs but either the config or VSTs were overwritten when you brought your files across. Wacom may need a firmware update, but you may need to compare settings between your laptops (if that is an option).

Word, I'm not quite following your problem. Have you installed Word 2003 (which is a very bad idea) or are you using a newer version, but trying to work in a 2003 document (.doc instead of .docx). In either case, upgrade it to a .docx; there's absolutely zero reason anyone in 2023 would be unable to open a 2007-formatted document, and due to security reasons a lot of places are preventing opening 2003 documents due to security flaws (also another bad reason to use Office 2003).

• Informative
Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟146,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Assuming you re-downloaded everything, it's probably just changes been made between versions. And assuming you didn't backup your configs, these are the default settings for each of these.

Cakewalk very likely installed the new VSTs but either the config or VSTs were overwritten when you brought your files across. Wacom may need a firmware update, but you may need to compare settings between your laptops (if that is an option).

Word, I'm not quite following your problem. Have you installed Word 2003 (which is a very bad idea) or are you using a newer version, but trying to work in a 2003 document (.doc instead of .docx). In either case, upgrade it to a .docx; there's absolutely zero reason anyone in 2023 would be unable to open a 2007-formatted document, and due to security reasons a lot of places are preventing opening 2003 documents due to security flaws (also another bad reason to use Office 2003).
Thanks for your response and insight. I will have to try checking out Cakewalk's VSTs and Wacom's firmware update. I tried comparing my tablet's settings between the two laptops; it was exactly the same. It could be different because I had to download a new driver. I couldn't use the driver from the CD that came with my tablet because my new laptop doesn't have a CD drive. As for Word, I guess my problem is that it's the 2003 version and the documents are .doc instead of .docx. But I don't know if we can get a newer version.

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,639.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Both Wacom and CakeWalk's support forums would be able to help you, no doubt.

As for Word: yeah, don't use it. Uninstall it. It's been out of support for nearly a decade (ie it stops getting security updates). Download LibreOffice. It's free, it's very similar to Office 2003 in design, and it's compatible with the latest stuff. Otherwise you either have to buy a new copy of Office or subscribe to Office 365 annually.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,639.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Thanks for your help! I'll talk to my brother about replacing Word 2003. He's the one who installed it.
I don't know how technical your brother is, but just in case he pushes back, make sure he knows:
- Office 2003 has over 70 vulnerabilities, most of them very dangerous; and it's really not that hard to accidentally open yourself to them. This means any viruses or compromised documents that you may unintentionally open can cause serious damage to your brand new laptop
- Support ended in 2014
- 2003 Doc files are increasingly blocked due to these vulnerabilities
- LibreOffice is free, in constant support (ie security updates) and the docs can be opened in Word, and also has functionality to save as a Word document

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟146,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Update:

-Thanks to a little help from the Cakewalk forum, I fixed my Cakewalk issue. It was so simple!

-I haven't been able to figure out what's going on with my tablet. I tried to join the Wacom forum but I never got the activation e-mail. :/ I even tried having it re-sent.

-My brother is going to try LibreOffice again. Apparently, he downloaded it before but I didn't like it and that is why we still had Office 2003 (I made some drawings using Word's art tools and they looked awful in LibreOffice). I totally forgot about that!

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟414,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I just saw this topic. To date, I have been a Windows Insider for a year. I presently have the Windows 11 Canary version installed on my desktop. To answer @Multifavs question of can old software not work with modern hardware and vice~versa, my experience says yes. I am however glad you figured out the solution to this problem you were experiencing. Good job!

Upvote 0

Marianamiles

Apr 19, 2023
Washinghton
✟8,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MLSDev is a business analysis company that specializes in providing services such as software development, project management, system integration, web and application hosting, data center services mlsdev.com/services/business-analysis, networking, managed security, cloud solutions, storage and backup, and more. Their team of experienced engineers can help organizations streamline their processes and deliver reliable applications on time and at scale.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums