Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

certain groups of people tended to have specific diets and so they evolved with the food they ate. an example are the Inuits, if they don't eat meat they are prone to tumors.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I tried to go vegetarian a few years ago. I succeeded for 3 weeks, but then decided that it was just too difficult for me, as my bland/low-fiber diet cannot tolerate many fruits and vegetables. However, regarding the subject of vegetarianism, I recall reading a report on longevity a year or two ago. There is a community in California where Seventh-Day Adventists live in high numbers and where an unusually large percentage of seniors are living into their 90's and beyond. Perhaps the Seventh-Day Adventist preference for vegetarianism is a factor in the longevity of seniors in this particular CA town?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I tried to go vegetarian a few years ago. I succeeded for 3 weeks, but then decided that it was just too difficult for me, as my bland/low-fiber diet cannot tolerate many fruits and vegetables. However, regarding the subject of vegetarianism, I recall reading a report on longevity a year or two ago. There is a community in California where Seventh-Day Adventists live in high numbers and where an unusually large percentage of seniors are living into their 90's and beyond. Perhaps the Seventh-Day Adventist preference for vegetarianism is a factor in the longevity of seniors in this particular CA town?
I think you live longer if you eat a diet that is healthier for your particular body type. Genetically, different people should be on different diets, and you can tell from what your blood type is. My grandaughter is AB, and she is Pescatarian. She absolutely cannot tolerate any milk products, and is practically vegetarian, with the occasional fish. I on the other hand, am type O, and made myself sick trying to be a vegetarian (I became diabetic). I need to stay away from all grains, including rice (which I ate a lot of when I was a vegetarian). My stomach makes lots of extra acids specifically to digest meat products. By adopting the paleo diet, I got rid of my diabetes. But like I said, it's not a one size fits all. It would kill my granddaughter!

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Will vegetarianism become impossible?
No.

Isaiah 11:7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
This won't effect just vegetarians, it will effect all of us because farm animals in the US usually eat grain crops.

BTW, rising CO2 levels could potentially effect indoor air quality. It's already a problem, in some cases. High CO2 indoors can cause fatigue, lowered mental abilities, even mood changes.

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's impossible to be vegan or vegetarian. Animal proteins/products are in basically everything.

If climate change was real (it isn't), vegans/vegetarians would be contributing more to CO2 because to meet the same amount of calories as meat, you would need much more real estate to grow crops. It also disrupts some animal habitats.

• Winner
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,002.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
That is a false moral.
What is the difference between killing a chicken and killing a cabbage?
I've never been able to establish a rewarding relationship with a cabbage. The same is not true of chickens.

You are free to declare you find nothing immoral in killing animals. Making the declaration is not equivalent to being correct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I've never been able to establish a rewarding relationship with a cabbage. The same is not true of chickens.
Some people can't establish rewarding relationships with chickens. Other people do have rewarding relationships with plants.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Some people can't establish rewarding relationships with chickens. Other people do have rewarding relationships with plants.
I love my house plants. I play them music from time to time.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I love my house plants. I play them music from time to time.
I recognize that plants have souls of a sort, but I'm too much inside my own head to form real relationships with them. I admire people who do.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟241,002.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
So what? I was addressing a reason as to why an individual might feel it immoral to eat chickens, but not to eat cabbages. If they feel closer to cabbages, let them eat chicken.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
So what? I was addressing a reason as to why an individual might feel it immoral to eat chickens, but not to eat cabbages. If they feel closer to cabbages, let them eat chicken.
And I'm saying that perhaps that might not be the most valid reason for choosing whether to eat a being.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟241,002.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
And I'm saying that perhaps that might not be the most valid reason for choosing whether to eat a being.
It may be the most valid reason for some people.

Look, let's cut to the chase. Many people see no problem whatsoever in eating both animals and plants. A substantial proportion of people, especially - it seems - in so called Western society prefer (in some cases insist) that the animals should experience a minimum amount of suffering while being raised and when slaughtered. A smaller, yet still significant, number of people believe it is wrong to eat any animal, some arguing this applies especially to the more sentient examples. Very few people argue a similar case for vegetables.

My initial remark was basically higlighting these facts in response to juvenussin's question, "What's the difference between killing a chicken and killing a cabbage?" Now, what, if anything in this ramble do you disagree with?

Upvote 0