Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
hugh. no, look out for the roundhouse kick......

just kidding :D . i just thought that the political ad was the best i had ever seen. i haven't really started examining all the candidates yet.
It is! That's an awesome ad! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

kasprinkle

Nov 23, 2007
✟15,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think Chuck Norris is fun, but I respectfully disagree with his choice for President.

I am a conservative and believe me, Huckabee is NO conservative. He's high on taxes, wants special treatment for children of illegal aliens and I believe he is, overall a dishonest politician.

He has often said he is the only candidate with a degree in theology (which is a graduate degree), but the truth is he only holds an undergraduate degree in religion from some little Bible college no one has heard of.

Earlier this week he called a press conference to announce that he had made a very negative campaign ad, but was now NOT going to run it because it was too negative, THEN he showed the ad to the reporters in the room, knowing they would show it all over the country for free. May be smart, but certainly not honest!

Lastly, I believe Huckabee exploits his Christianity. I'm a strong conservative Christian, so I share many of his beliefs, but he uses his religious beliefs to beat people over the head with his policies, example-he says it's not Christian to deny special rights to illegals. You may believe in special rights for illegals, but that's a political decision, not a spiritual one. This week in Iowa, he's been taking the stage while the audience is encouraged to join in the singing of "How Great Is Our God" or "Holy Is The Lord". PLEASE!!! I already have a pastor, I'm voting for a President!

Not telling anyone for whom they should vote. Just suggesting you really check out what this man did as Gov., not just what he says on the campaign trail.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Romney waffles as much as Kerry did if not more so.

I'm aware, though I think a lot of his flip-flopping may be justifiable. And some things he's been consistent on all the way through. From the NR piece:

Some conservatives question his sincerity. It is true that he has reversed some of his positions. But we should be careful not to overstate how much he has changed. In 1994, when he tried to unseat Ted Kennedy, he ran against higher taxes and government-run health care, and for school choice, a balanced budget amendment, welfare reform, and “tougher measures to stop illegal immigration.” He was no Rockefeller Republican even then.
All things considered, I think he's the most conservative and most able guy we can actually elect. As NR noted, Giuliani would risk splitting the coalition because he's not socially conservative enough. Huckabee risks splitting the coalition because he's not economically conservative enough. McCain would be acceptable but is less conservative. Thompson is equally conservative but lacks executive experience, and I'm not sure he has a realistic chance. Duncan Hunter is more conservative, but has no chance at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm aware, though I think a lot of his flip-flopping may be justifiable.
There's a difference between repenting of a pro-choice position and flip-flopping, which Romney has done. There are enough issues that he has flip-flopped on for me to put him in the latter category. If anyone jumped on Kerry for being a flip-flopper, I fail to see how they could not jump on Romney if they had any integrity. I've also seen Romney give enough non-answers to legitimate questions to convince me that 1) he is not forthcoming or 2) he doesn't know what he's talking about. Probably a bit of both.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
mccarty,

Thanks much for your thoughts. I myself am not a Christian conservative of Dobson's or Huckabee's stripe, though I am a theological conservative. I'm not overly concerned with the "hot button" social issues, but more with national security and economics. IMHO the best we're going to get is Romney, McCain or possibly Thompson. I consider any of the Democrats unacceptable because of their weak positions on foreign policy and their fondness for big government and high taxes.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
There's a difference between repenting of a pro-choice position and flip-flopping, which Romney has done. There are enough issues that he has flip-flopped on for me to put him in the latter category. If anyone jumped on Kerry for being a flip-flopper, I fail to see how they could not jump on Romney if they had any integrity. I've also seen Romney give enough non-answers to legitimate questions to convince me that 1) he is not forthcoming or 2) he doesn't know what he's talking about. Probably a bit of both.
Aye, he's been a bit of a flip-flopper, but none of them is without flaws. Who do you consider a better alternative and why?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics are so fun to watch~it's almost a hobby with me. I don't participate in the process~haven't voted since Reagan in '84 when I was in the USMC~but it's still fun to watch.

When I first received Christ as my Saviour and began to be discipled by the blessed Mennonite folks I also embraced the teaching of the two kingdoms~Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of Man. I also began to understand a bit the nature of the Sovereignty of God, which I think the anabaptist folks understand even better than the Calvinist folks in many ways. As the Scripture teaches, God appoints the rulers we have according to His will. It's kinda sad to see so many in such turmoil over our next ruler~it truly is in God's hands. As ambassadors of the Kingdom of God we truly are sojourners here in this world being about the Father's business. As a "conservative" forum these ideas will be considered something other than "conservative", but they are not uncommon~especially among conservative anabaptists.

It is something that tears at the church, this political business. Sadly, many in the church are identified FIRST by their political affiliation, then by their faith~and that goes for both sides. Be aware of the true nature of nationalism (or "patriotism" if you prefer)~it is a seductive devil that can easily become idolatry.

And to the charges that come up that practicing "abstinence" isn't practical, or "evil triumphs when good men do nothing", praying and submitting to God is indeed something~whether the next ruler is Obama, Huckabee, Putin, or Kim Jong-il, it ultimately matters not; "my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness. I dare not trust the sweetest frame, But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name"...

And if your guy or gal doesn't win, at least accept that God has appointed a ruler for you, for whatever reason, and recognize His sovereignty over us and this nation~and move on, continuing to serve the One True God:clap:

Reactions: Gregged
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Huckabee's too much inclined towards theocracy for my tastes, but although he's wrong on immigration, criminal justice, taxes, and spending, he has some conservative impulses.

In fact, every one of the Republican candidates has some conservative instincts...along with some reason for a conservative to doubt him.

We either have to choose one of them who is:

1) most likely to win in November, 2008 or

2) the one of them who is truest to conservative principles all around.

Since Huckabee is NEITHER of those, he's off my list of possibles.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Huckabee's too much inclined towards theocracy for my tastes, but although he's wrong on immigration, criminal justice, taxes, and spending, he has some conservative impulses.

In fact, every one of the Republican candidates has some conservative instincts...along with some reason for a conservative to doubt him.

We either have to choose one of them who is:

1) most likely to win in November, 2008 or

2) the one of them who is truest to conservative principles all around.

Since Huckabee is NEITHER of those, he's off my list of possibles.

Curious~who are your top two?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Curious~who are your top two?

I'm curious about that myself!

Seriously, the situation is so fluid and seems to me to change daily, that it is not easy to settle upon any one of these people.

I was inclined towards Guiliani, despite his liberal stances, as long as I belived 1) he is instinctively a law and order, law-respecting kind of man who would keep our country's national defense strong, and 2) was the most likely to beat Hillary.

Lately, the liberal components in that seem to have become more troublesome AND he no longer seems to me to be more likely to beat Hillary than a couple of the others.

I think McCain's chances of beating the Democrat may be stronger, but of course he is no more conservative than Rudy and less conservative than several of the others.

Thompson has risen in my mind lately. He seems more relaxed now, has a better program and outlook than I first thought, and has gained some limited momentum. He received an 86% rating from the American Conservative Union for his time in Congress, which was higher than I'd thought, and he is the best one on the illegal immigration issue.

I cannot get over Romney's weakness when pit in polls against Hillary, his failure to impress skeptical younger voters, and his record.

Fortunately, I can let this marinate for awhile and don't have to vote in Iowa or New Hampshire. But my two guides remain--ability to win OR most conservative. Someone in the middle is not for me.

Upvote 0