Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some time has passed since this thread started. And realistically, both parties are down to two finalists. On the Republican side, only McCain and Romney have much of a shot at it. On the Democratic side, either Clinton or Obama will be the nominee. That's not official yet, but it might as well be. For Giuliani, Huckabee, Paul or Edwards to stage a comeback is technically possible, but it would take a miracle. Well... we believe in miracles, but they don't usually happen in politics.

I would rank those four in this order of preference:

1) Romney
2) McCain
3) Obama
4) Clinton

What do you think?

I think your analysis is right, but since 2, 3, and 4 are not acceptable to me, and 1 is unlikely to get the nomination now...what are people like us to do?

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I think your analysis is right, but since 2, 3, and 4 are not acceptable to me, and 1 is unlikely to get the nomination now...what are people like us to do?
At this point, I would recommend continuing to support Romney. McCain has the advantage for sure, but Romney still has a realistic shot at it. It's too soon to give up.

A further note: With one exception, my order of preference is from most conservative to least conservative. That exception is Obama, who is more liberal than Clinton, but whom I still prefer over her. Why this exception? Because IMHO Obama is sincere and idealistic, though too liberal by far and too inexperienced. Clinton is the Don of the Clinton "Arkansas Mafia", essentially evil incarnate. I see Clinton as ruthless and paranoid in a Nixonian way, capable of doing the greatest harm to the country. Obama OTOH I actually like, if only he weren't so darn liberal.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
At this point, I would recommend continuing to support Romney. McCain has the advantage for sure, but Romney still has a realistic shot at it. It's too soon to give up.

A further note: With one exception, my order of preference is from most conservative to least conservative. That exception is Obama, who is more liberal than Clinton, but whom I still prefer over her. Why this exception? Because IMHO Obama is sincere and idealistic, though too liberal by far and too inexperienced. Clinton is the Don of the Clinton "Arkansas Mafia", essentially evil incarnate. I see Clinton as ruthless and paranoid in a Nixonian way, capable of doing the greatest harm to the country. Obama OTOH I actually like, if only he weren't so darn liberal.

Once again, there's nothing in your post that I'd disagree with, although I guess it's safe to say that I seriously doubt that Romney can get the nomination now. Of course, if he does, that settles a lot.

Incidentally, I wrote earlier (post #90) that anyone interested in Alan Keyes as one poster suggested would have to write him in on the ballot, and I was wrong about that. He is a candidate for the Republican nomination although the media seldom report it or his votes. While it was necessary to write him in, I believe, in SC, he is on the ballot in most of the Super Tuesday states voting February 5. And there is a movement to have him run as an independent after the major party primaries have ended.

Upvote 0