Why Would We Need to Obey God's Laws?

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course. We are flawed human beings. That doesn't mean we don't have to strive for holiness.
This is not mature discussion but at best, immature comments from you. At worst it is hypocrisy.
You are making pat statements that have no bearing on the reality of your own life.
It's not intelligent debate. I will place you on ignore as well.
You would do well to remember:

The measure you use to judge others will be used to judge you
Matt7:2

And also consider the harsh words Jesus used to those who did not practice what they preached/ demanded of others

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is not mature discussion but at best, immature comments from you. At worst it is hypocrisy.
You are making pat statements that have no bearing on the reality of your own life.
It's not intelligent debate. I will place you on ignore as well.
You would do well to remember:

The measure you use to judge others will be used to judge you
Matt7:2

And also consider the harsh words Jesus used to those who did not practice what they preached/ demanded of others

If you are comfortable ignoring the words of Jesus because they are irrelevant to your dogma that's your problem.

Jesus and Paul are both quite clear, we will reap what we sow.

I'm not judging anyone.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You don't obey God by looking to each and every literal commandment and striving to obey them. You obey God by loving others:

Carry each others burdens ( love them) and so fulfill the law of Christ
Gal6:2

The commandments do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not covet, AND WHATEVER OTHER COMMANDMENTS there might be are summed up in this one rule: love your neighbour as yourself. Love does no harm to its neighbour. Therefore love is the fulfilment of the law
Rom13:9&10

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When my Late mother, whom I dearly loved was diagnosed terminally ill with cancer, my wife and I went to look after her in her home during her illness.
During that time, I put aside my own wants and desires for my mothers. My happiness was seeing her happy in the time she had left to live. I didn't covet what was hers, want to steal from her, kill her, bear false witness against her and I honoured her. Did I have to focus on the TC where my mother was concerned and strive to obey them to act that way towards her? No! None of them ever crossed my mind where she was concerned. So why was I obeying them where my mother was concerned? Because I loved her dearly.

Love is the fulfillment of the law

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Obey or not obey. It seems as though this is the dividing question of many Christians today. For some, the keeping of the law was a burden we bore before Christ saved us but the fact is, we didn't keep the law then either! Why would God want people to obey His commandments in the first place if He was going to do away with them? What purpose do they have? If you knew the future that God has planned for those who love Him you might just understand it better.
When we are resurrected we are going to be like Christ is NOW. What is He like now? He is the all powerful, eternal Son of the Creator God. We are to be heirs WITH Him of all that God has given Him, rulers with Him on His throne. The power of being a child of God is boundless! God will not give this gift to anyone who would refuse to obey Him, think of the damage an eternal being with that kind of power could do! Look at what Satan did, and He's not even close to what we're going to be.
The Laws of God define what sin is, they are our instructors on what to do and what not to do. We must develop Godly character through obedience from our heart! Out of love for God, out of respect for Him. Christ makes our perfection possible by literally LIVING in us, using our bodies and minds to produce works of righteousness, growing in grace, which is undeserved forgiveness when we fall short. Before we had Christ living in us, any obedience we may have mustered was useless. After Christ is living in us all obedience is Christ's spirit doing it which makes it perfect.
If we despise the laws of God and refuse to keep His commands then the Spirit of Christ is not in us.
Romans 8:7-9 because the mind of the flesh is hostile to God: It does not submit to God’s Law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the flesh cannot please God.
You, however, are controlled not by the flesh, but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ

You can say that submitting to God is not required all you want but God says those who are hostile to Him refuse to submit to His Law and they are NOT CHRIST'S. HE said if we have His Spirit we will submit, why? Because we understand the reason God wants us to, we understand the enormous responsibility we are going to be given and ONLY those who have learned to LOVE His laws and allowed them to be written on their hearts will be in the Kingdom of God. But know that it cannot be done without the Spirit of Christ living in us. That Spirit is given as a GIFT, it can never be earned. Once we have it we MUST use it. How do we use it? By obeying.
Amen! I came to understand this through Dallas Willard's book....but the experience of peace had came when I walked in Faith even before that.

Many people really want to know how to move forward.....and first there are some things They should see.....
1. Is that Christ is the source of salvation
2. What we are saved from
3. Why we are saved
4. The def. of eternal life
5. The full Gospel that includes entering the kingdom now.
6. The riches that are in Christ
7. The faith that saves

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't believe we are under any laws but the spiritual. And that through the spiritual which will train the flesh we establish or hold up the law.

But that's my opinion
What are the spiritual Laws?
The law of faith
The Law of Love
The law of the Life giving Spirit
Are these defined?
Yet the Spirit does correct us when the habits of the flesh come before our thoughts....that may be what the mind set on the spirit does....lets you know you didn't follow it....
This may be the case in question of ,"If you sin you have an advocate with the father" .....If, because maybe that sin should come by mistake [the flesh acting before your spirit, out of habit"

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why would we need to obey Gods laws?

The true answer is because you love God. His laws have been placed in your heart. So in your heart you want to obey them.
But if you understand the truth. You don't look to the law to seek obedience. You look to Christ, and trust him, through the Spirit to sanctify you/ bring you to live an ever more holy life.
The more you do this, the more the fruits of the Spirit grow in your life( gal5:22)
Against that fruit there is no law( verse23) for that fruit is the embodiment of how God wants you to live. The more the fruit grows in you, the holier the life you live.
Sadly, the majority insist on living under the law of sin and death. Look to the law itself, strive to obey it or you cannot be justified before God.
And come hell or high water, they will not be moved from following that path.
The law of the Spirit of life, has not been allowed to set them free from the law of sin and death.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Obey or not obey. It seems as though this is the dividing question of many Christians today. For some, the keeping of the law was a burden we bore before Christ saved us but the fact is, we didn't keep the law then either! Why would God want people to obey His commandments in the first place if He was going to do away with them? What purpose do they have? If you knew the future that God has planned for those who love Him you might just understand it better.
When we are resurrected we are going to be like Christ is NOW. What is He like now? He is the all powerful, eternal Son of the Creator God. We are to be heirs WITH Him of all that God has given Him, rulers with Him on His throne. The power of being a child of God is boundless! God will not give this gift to anyone who would refuse to obey Him, think of the damage an eternal being with that kind of power could do! Look at what Satan did, and He's not even close to what we're going to be.
The Laws of God define what sin is, they are our instructors on what to do and what not to do. We must develop Godly character through obedience from our heart! Out of love for God, out of respect for Him. Christ makes our perfection possible by literally LIVING in us, using our bodies and minds to produce works of righteousness, growing in grace, which is undeserved forgiveness when we fall short. Before we had Christ living in us, any obedience we may have mustered was useless. After Christ is living in us all obedience is Christ's spirit doing it which makes it perfect.
If we despise the laws of God and refuse to keep His commands then the Spirit of Christ is not in us.
Romans 8:7-9 because the mind of the flesh is hostile to God: It does not submit to God’s Law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the flesh cannot please God.
You, however, are controlled not by the flesh, but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ

You can say that submitting to God is not required all you want but God says those who are hostile to Him refuse to submit to His Law and they are NOT CHRIST'S. HE said if we have His Spirit we will submit, why? Because we understand the reason God wants us to, we understand the enormous responsibility we are going to be given and ONLY those who have learned to LOVE His laws and allowed them to be written on their hearts will be in the Kingdom of God. But know that it cannot be done without the Spirit of Christ living in us. That Spirit is given as a GIFT, it can never be earned. Once we have it we MUST use it. How do we use it? By obeying.

Well in the Nt if you're saved but you have the Holy Spirit inside you so you have the ability to know right from wrong. You don't have to follow a set of laws but rather simply resist sin and live right.

That's ironically why out of all the law the 10 commandments still apply, becuase overall the 10 commandments are just a list of right/wrong things to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't get to read all 170 responses (wow) but my feeling is (if I understand the topic right), if we don't bother obeying the law then we end up in hell. More so I've seen people who believe in OSAS say we can basically not listen to any of the rules, maybe even swear or commit murder and we still go to heaven.

I don't believe that at all. Because if that was the case He would never command us to do all that the bible says. It would be pointless. But since He mentioned them then obviously we are suppose to follow them. Actually why we would even need to leave our old life behind and be reborn if we don't want to follow the laws? See how saying we shouldn't follow the laws is dangerous.

As for hell, someone mentioned some people fear hell and its why they love God. Well I think its ok to have a healthy fear of hell and God. I mean if hell was nothing to fear then not many would worry to much about messing up in this life. Now obviously if your ONLY motivation of being saved is to avoid hell, then that could be an issue.

Me? To some degree I used to fear hell ALOT. But I've learned I obey what He says because I want to make Him happy. Not because I fear hell. I repent when I screw up. I cry when I mess up alot. God is like a Dad to me (well we call Him father after all). I want Him to always be proud of me so when this life ends He will hug me and say "Well done my good and faithful servant!".

Upvote 0

Dan61861

7 days without God, makes one weak.
Jul 21, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
✟102,026.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
More so I've seen people who believe in OSAS say we can basically not listen to any of the rules, maybe even swear or commit murder and we still go to heaven.
My friend, that is not what OSAS proponents believe. I believe God and His promises. That what He has started in us He will finish. I believe that the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord is sufficient. My faith rest in His work, His work alone. Our faith is in Christ, not in ourselves. Once we are His, nothing can snatch us from His hand.

We do not believe we can act like a hooker on a submarine with a bunch of sailors. I do believe that His Commandments have enlightened us to the fact that that is how we acted in times past. Having been made aware of our wretchedness, we humbly fall before the cross. I believe in God's tender mercy, when I do fail He is there for us. I live in Christ, His love and love the brotherhood.

I believe I should love, have compassion and show mercy to my brothers. Any good works that I may do, I hold to it as nothing. None of it makes me righteous. It is Christ's righteousness upon me that I truly cleave onto. I rest in Christ and His passion for me, nothing else.

In Christ
Daniel

• Agree
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0