Why Would We Need to Obey God's Laws?

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Obey or not obey. It seems as though this is the dividing question of many Christians today. For some, the keeping of the law was a burden we bore before Christ saved us but the fact is, we didn't keep the law then either! Why would God want people to obey His commandments in the first place if He was going to do away with them? What purpose do they have? If you knew the future that God has planned for those who love Him you might just understand it better.
When we are resurrected we are going to be like Christ is NOW. What is He like now? He is the all powerful, eternal Son of the Creator God. We are to be heirs WITH Him of all that God has given Him, rulers with Him on His throne. The power of being a child of God is boundless! God will not give this gift to anyone who would refuse to obey Him, think of the damage an eternal being with that kind of power could do! Look at what Satan did, and He's not even close to what we're going to be.
The Laws of God define what sin is, they are our instructors on what to do and what not to do. We must develop Godly character through obedience from our heart! Out of love for God, out of respect for Him. Christ makes our perfection possible by literally LIVING in us, using our bodies and minds to produce works of righteousness, growing in grace, which is undeserved forgiveness when we fall short. Before we had Christ living in us, any obedience we may have mustered was useless. After Christ is living in us all obedience is Christ's spirit doing it which makes it perfect.
If we despise the laws of God and refuse to keep His commands then the Spirit of Christ is not in us.
Romans 8:7-9 because the mind of the flesh is hostile to God: It does not submit to God’s Law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the flesh cannot please God.
You, however, are controlled not by the flesh, but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ

You can say that submitting to God is not required all you want but God says those who are hostile to Him refuse to submit to His Law and they are NOT CHRIST'S. HE said if we have His Spirit we will submit, why? Because we understand the reason God wants us to, we understand the enormous responsibility we are going to be given and ONLY those who have learned to LOVE His laws and allowed them to be written on their hearts will be in the Kingdom of God. But know that it cannot be done without the Spirit of Christ living in us. That Spirit is given as a GIFT, it can never be earned. Once we have it we MUST use it. How do we use it? By obeying.

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me that, while under the law, obeying God's law is a duty and a chore, but when under grace, it is a joy and simply part of loving God, loving each other, loving one's neighbor and loving our enemy. The threat of punishment is absent, but the desire to obey our Creator, Redeemer and Sustainer, makes us adhere to His will (I.e. His law).

Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me that, while under the law, obeying God's law is a duty and a chore, but when under grace, it is a joy and simply part of loving God, loving each other, loving one's neighbor and loving our enemy. The threat of punishment is absent, but the desire to obey our Creator, Redeemer and Sustainer, makes us adhere to His will (I.e. His law).
Absolutely wonderful! Thank you!

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Considering many Christians here seem to be terrified of hell, I'd say "fear of punishment" is a pretty big motivator.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Considering many Christians here seem to be terrified of hell, I'd say "fear of punishment" is a pretty big motivator.
Likely true, but I find that sad. It is a desire FOR God, not the desire to avoid hell that is my motivation. Not criticizing those who feel differently, but fear as motivation seems an unpleasant factor to my mind.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Romans 5 NIRV - Peace and Hope - We have been made - Bible ...
Bible Gateway passage: Romans 5 - New International Reader's Version
Now we have peace with him because of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Through faith in Jesus we have received God's grace. In that grace we stand. We are full of joy ...

Romans 15:13 - May the God of hope fill you with all - Bible Gateway
CJB
May God, the source of hope, fill you completely with joy and shalom as you continue trusting, so that by the power of the Ruach HaKodesh you may overflow with hope.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Likely true, but I find that sad. It is a desire FOR God, not the desire to avoid hell that is my motivation. Not criticizing those who feel differently, but fear as motivation seems an unpleasant factor to my mind.

I got to thinking recently though... what exactly is it about God's nature that you're/we're desiring for anyway?

• Prayers
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,

even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him.

He destined us in love[b] to be his sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will,

to the praise of his glorious grace which he freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In him we have redemption through his blood,

................the forgiveness of our trespasses,

according to the riches of his grace which he lavished upon us.

For he has made known to us in all wisdom and insight the mystery of his will, according to his purpose which he set forth in Christ

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I got to thinking recently though... what exactly is it about God's nature that you're/we're desiring for anyway?
I experienced the love of God as a teenager, and His goodness, and it saved me from despair and suicide, and all that He is - goodness, love, wholesomeness, peace - and the experience of Him, even in the partial part of Him that I could experience, made me desire Him far more than any fear of condemnation...in fact, I often have thought, "condemn me if You will, Lord, for I deserve it, but in Your mercy, first grant me just a taste of Your love and Presence, even for a moment".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I experienced the love of God as a teenager, and His goodness, and it saved me from despair and suicide, and all that He is - goodness, love, wholesomeness, peace - and the experience of Him, even in the partial part of Him that I could experience, made me desire Him far more than any fear of condemnation...in fact, I often have thought, "condemn me if You will, Lord, for I deserve it, but in Your mercy, first grant me just a taste of Your love and Presence, even for a moment".

What about hell though? Or the stuff in the Old Testament? I used to think that "God is love and all-good" too, but given the biblical actions and the like I'm not sure if that can be said to be the case—or at least, love and goodness not be the sole aspects of his personality (even by God's own admission in the Bible, where he causes both peace and disaster and makes people deaf or blind).

• Prayers
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What about hell though? Or the stuff in the Old Testament? I used to think that "God is love and all-good" too, but given the biblical actions and the like I'm not sure if that can be said to be the case—or at least, love and goodness not be the sole aspects of his personality (even by God's own admission in the Bible, where he causes both peace and disaster and makes people deaf or blind).
No, hell is real and a terrifying possibility for those who reject God's offer of salvation. But for me, the desire for Him and His grace and love is far greater than any fear of hell.

Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for this thread, danstribe. I have been struggling with this topic lately and your words have made more sense than most other threads on this topic.

May I ask how we are to know which of the hundreds of laws are for us? I wish to please my Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Follow Him.
THE SECRET in the book of ACTS, and the rest of the Epistles ,
and
the secret of the Anabaptists for a few hundred years.....
and
the secret of the underground persecuted believers in every country all over the world, for many many generations ....
especially as seen in Foxes Book, and Jesus Freaks, et al ....

Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for this thread, danstribe. I have been struggling with this topic lately and your words have made more sense than most other threads on this topic.

May I ask how we are to know which of the hundreds of laws are for us? I wish to please my Lord.
The Ten Commandments are to teach us how to love God, which is first, and how to love our neighbors, which is next. The first four are directed to God and the last six are toward our fellow human beings. That's why Christ said that all the law is summed up in two commands: Love the Lord your God with all of your heart, mind and body and love your neighbor as yourself. We can literally spend the rest of our lives delving into these commands and learning to live by them. They are beautiful! King David wrote a song saying "Oh how love I thy Law! It is ever with me!" Thank you for your comment, it makes me relieved to know that I made sense to one of God's children! God be with you and bless you!

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have met ones who think they are covered by the blood so they can sin with no worries. This shows not a repentant heart and will probably lead one into a very hot place.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because we understand the reason God wants us to, we understand the enormous responsibility we are going to be given and ONLY those who have learned to LOVE His laws and allowed them to be written on their hearts will be in the Kingdom of God. But know that it cannot be done without the Spirit of Christ living in us. That Spirit is given as a GIFT, it can never be earned. Once we have it we MUST use it. How do we use it? By obeying.

There are only a couple of laws left.

34And when the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they themselves gathered together. 35One of them, an expert in the law, tested Him with a question: 36“Teacher, which commandment is the greatest in the Law?”

37Jesus declared, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’d
38This is the first and greatest commandment.
39And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’e
40All the Law and the Prophets depend on these two commandments.”

Upvote 0