Why would anyone want to be a Christian?

• Thread starter seekingagnostic32
  • Start date

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Have any of those people with NDEs visited a hell-ish place?
There is another youtube video about NDEs that have gone the other way, and as this is why anyone wants to be a Christian, not why anyone wants to perish forever, you know.... ;) But I'd be happy to reference it to you.

Upvote 0
S

seekingagnostic32

Have any of those people with NDEs visited a hell-ish place?
There is another youtube video about NDEs that have gone the other way, and as this is why anyone wants to be a Christian, not why anyone wants to perish forever, you know.... ;) But I'd be happy to reference it to you.

I probably already saw it. Some mention it, but it often more reflects the state of the person's heart and even then, whenever they call out to God, he answers them (yet they're dead). Probably why some churches still pray for the dead. I don't fully know what happens after death, and no one really does, except the deceased.

Hell isn't always fire and brimstone. Sometimes it is loneliness or darkness.

But the selfishness of people is seen when they only follow God out of fear of hell. It's sad. I'd rather keep my pride and not worship an evil god.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've also heard of non-christians describing the same thing; the same Light, Love and Mercy - so unlike that of the religious gods.

It makes me believe there is something great out there. So I'm really not exactly an agnostic.

Just a couple monkeywrenches to throw into the works here:

1) When Jesus referred to separating the sheep from the goats, He did NOT define that as separating professing Christians from those that don't make that profession.

2) You don't have to physically die to see hell, (which I have) or heaven. (Which I haven't)

Good to know you recognize there is something greater than ourselves. Also good to see you don't swallow the standard nonsense any more than I do. This is a prerequisite to being born again, IMHO.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd rather keep my pride and not worship an evil god.

May I humbly submit that knowing G-d for who He is, will reveal something entirely different from the evil entity (most likely non-existent) to which you refer?

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I probably already saw it. Some mention it, but it often more reflects the state of the person's heart and even then, whenever they call out to God, he answers them (yet they're dead). Probably why some churches still pray for the dead. I don't fully know what happens after death, and no one really does, except the deceased.

Hell isn't always fire and brimstone. Sometimes it is loneliness or darkness.

But the selfishness of people is seen when they only follow God out of fear of hell. It's sad. I'd rather keep my pride and not worship an evil god.

The bible does not go into detail about specifics with death, as much as we'd like, so there are some questions still. This was likely on purpose. For the record, I have never followed God out of a fear for Hell and I'm sure many Christians do not.

Upvote 0

underheaven

Jul 19, 2011
in a caravan in the sky
✟1,218.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I like how you guys are not having an angry argument about this
So the internet can actually be a nice place for discussion sometimes^^

I personaly believe that being a good person is way more important than having a certain faith
If that is a photograph of you, it says quite a lot about you,and 'good' is not a word that jumps to mind. But if you live in a country where you can access the bible [new testament],then you would have no excuse,and without a love of and faith in Christ,Hell is where one ends up. You would have ignored God's guidance,and there is no excuse. Without the light of God in one , decay is inevitable, and that alone is Hell.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2012
✟15,203.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If that is a photograph of you, it says quite a lot about you,and 'good' is not a word that jumps to mind. But if you live in a country where you can access the bible [new testament],then you would have no excuse,and without a love of and faith in Christ,Hell is where one ends up. You would have ignored God's guidance,and there is no excuse. Without the light of God in one , decay is inevitable, and that alone is Hell.

ok I don't want this to end in a heated debate but I must say that I find your criticism to be unfounded.
If you judge me by my appearence alone then I guess you can already see the problem with that. Jesus preached tolerance and it is my believe that what he preached is good. I don't believe in hell but if you do and it helps you be a better person then I won't judge you for it. But as it says in John 13:34 we should love one another. Be christ with you

Upvote 0

Boondock_Saint

Member since 2006.
Jun 16, 2015
Chicago-ish
✟11,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't believe in hell but if you do and it helps you be a better person then I won't judge you for it. But as it says in John 13:34 we should love one another. Be Christ with you

If there is no Hell, why do we need Christ?

Christ became our savior to save us from the Judgment of God. Christ died because our sins could not go unpunished. Christ took that punishment for us. Our sins are forgiven through Christ's sacrifice and we are free from judgement. To say that Hell doesn't exist is saying that Christ's death on the cross was for nothing or that we don't need Christ.

We can't go to Heaven by following all of God's laws. The laws were given to us so that we would know how depraved we are. God's laws show us that we are sinful and in need of forgiveness. Christ supplies that forgiveness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jan 12, 2012
✟15,203.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hell is one of those things the bibel really has a lot of conflicting statements about.
I personally don't believe in it. I believe that God is a omnipotent being which in my opinion means he would not be envious or wrathful but loving.
But I understand that if you believe it exists you better live your life exactly the way the bibel demands in every way.

Upvote 0

Boondock_Saint

Member since 2006.
Jun 16, 2015
Chicago-ish
✟11,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hell is one of those things the bibel really has a lot of conflicting statements about.
I personally don't believe in it. I believe that God is a omnipotent being which in my opinion means he would not be envious or wrathful but loving.
But I understand that if you believe it exists you better live your life exactly the way the bibel demands in every way.

Though it is not my desire to sin, I still do it. I can't live my life exactly the way the bible demands me. Believe me, I have tried. It is for that reason I (we) need Christ.

Romans 3:10 There is none righteous, no, not one.
Romans 3:23 For all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
Romans 10:10 For it is with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation
Romans 10:13 For "whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."
Romans 8:10 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the spirit.
Romans 5:1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ
John: 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
John 3: 18 He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God
John 5:24 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who send Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
John 6:47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.

There are some key phrases in the verses above that are very important.

Romans 6:23 says we will face death for our sin. I understand that one could argue it just means we will face our physical death but still be with God after we die. And it does leave the window open to argue there is no Hell if we only use this verse to justify that thought. We are also told in the versus above that we will be saved from something, have salvation from something, not perish (even though we die) and be condemned to something.

We don't live forever here on earth, so what are we being saved from or condemned to after we die?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
ok I don't want this to end in a heated debate but I must say that I find your criticism to be unfounded.
If you judge me by my appearence alone then I guess you can already see the problem with that. Jesus preached tolerance and it is my believe that what he preached is good. I don't believe in hell but if you do and it helps you be a better person then I won't judge you for it. But as it says in John 13:34 we should love one another. Be christ with you
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

One glance at that photo and I am inclined to agree with everything that you say.:bow:

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2012
✟15,203.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
*commence rant*
Do I really need to change my picture? Every other guys has to comment on that. I didn't even notice my cleave that much... srsly for being such humble christians you guys sure spend a lot of attention to my rack :/ . If you want to say something nice to me then please no more unsubtle titjokes... those are not all that impressive.
*cease rant*

And back to the topic... Thats a lot of verses... heres a website that sorts some pros and cons for the argument of the existance of hell. "htXtp://skepticsannotatedbible.Xcom/interp/hell.html" (i can't post links yet so I put the X's there. Just remove them if you want to visit that link)
Im going to sleep now. Gn8

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
*commence rant*
Do I really need to change my picture? Every other guys has to comment on that. I didn't even notice my cleave that much... srsly for being such humble christians you guys sure spend a lot of attention to my rack :/ . If you want to say something nice to me then please no more unsubtle titjokes... those are not all that impressive.
*cease rant*

And back to the topic... Thats a lot of verses... heres a website that sorts some pros and cons for the argument of the existance of hell. "htXtp://skepticsannotatedbible.Xcom/interp/hell.html" (i can't post links yet so I put the X's there. Just remove them if you want to visit that link)
12 But when you thus sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.

You should just repent and crop the picture.. not for my sake but for the sake of those who have a weak conscience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Heavenbound3

Jan 13, 2012
✟7,611.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The alternative to not being a Christian does not offer much at all ...I believe in Jesus' return to take us away from this world of sin and misery and pain...not much hope in this world.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes;and there shall be no more death,neither sorrow,nor crying, there shall be no more pain, for the former things are passed away.
Revelation 21:4

Upvote 0

Boondock_Saint

Member since 2006.
Jun 16, 2015
Chicago-ish
✟11,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Nice find.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately, Calvinism is Christianity. It also bears a striking resemblance to Islam, in that it is entirely deterministic and fatalistic. Que sera sera, whatever will be will be? The future is not ours, you see. Nevertheless, I have never heard an arminian argument that took the Bible as seriously as Calvinism without twisting its context, meaning or ignoring plain parts of the Bible. If you're going to believe something, why pick and choose?

Not where I come from. Calvinism is a part of Christianity that has gotten it wrong. They have come to some wrong interpretations of Scripture. Not to say that it's all wrong, though. Also, I don't know know what arminian is.

The major contention with Calvinism theology is that God chooses who will go to Heaven, and thusly, chooses who will go to Hell, that man has no part in it at all. Their interpretation of Romans 9 is wrong. Better than me trying to lay it all out here, there is a short eBook that explains it better than I can. It's by RBC ministries and you can find it here~~~>» Discovery Series . Once there, click on the 'View PDF' button and it will come up. It's only 32 pages, I hope you'll take the time to read it. God bless!

Upvote 0
S

seekingagnostic32

You need to never post here again. I'm serious.

You are rude and disgusting. This is why I hate this religion and its followers. Damn judgmental hypocrites. :mad:

I'm sure there will be plenty of room in hell for you, don't worry. :)

Upvote 0