Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know that I'm a poor communicator. But, "fairly complicated legal conditions"? Legal? Wow. I seem to have outdone myself!
Why is it complicated? Are you just trying to insult or am I just that bad a communicator? I fail to see how death being a consequence of rejecting Life is complicated OR legal. It is simple logic.
I fail to see how "the life of the flesh is in the blood," which is perfectly good scripture, is complicated. Maybe legal to you. But it seems a rather simple statement of fact to me.
Perhaps you mean identity is complicated. Christ said if we don't abide in Him and He in us we can do nothing. That refers to identity. He also talked about eating His flesh, which is another way of His expressing identity with us. I could go on in this vein of identity because it goes throughout the N.T. Still, it is a rather simple concept. "I have been co-crucified with Christ," said Paul.

If you had complained that I dumbed it down, I would understand. As it is, I think I cannot communicate the simplest concepts.
And please reread your own statements. Cherubim? Could you explain that? "Knowledge of good and evil"? Could you explain that? Give fruit from the tree of life? Could you explain that? Try to explain those concepts to a non-Christian. "Why make your explanation so complicated," they probably would think. What do you think?

Christ still identifies with me as I abide by faith.
Hey, I am sorry to make you respond this way. How about you try this approach: give a scripture and say something about it. Do this in a methodical way to end up making your point. Because you have not used any scriptures yet in two posts, and your first post just seemed to reflect a heap of thinking (good for you that you do actually think!), yet I got the impression of mental gymnastics. That would be useful. Also, yes I am rather peculiar, as has been pointed out, this is an odd thread. Usually people want to enforce their opinion. I have my opinion, sure. But I am inviting correction. The thing about me, I have reasonable beliefs. These beliefs can be changed when it is demonstrated to be reasonable to do so. I am inviting people on this thread to be reasonable. You are welcome to be reasonable too.

The scriptures you have asked for:
Cherubim? Could you explain that?
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+3:22-24&version=NLT

"Knowledge of good and evil"? Could you explain that?
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+3:6-7&version=NLT
Give fruit from the tree of life?
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=rev+2:7&version=NLT

Upvote 0

muddleglum

May 1, 2015
✟8,060.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Hey, I am sorry to make you respond this way.
Okay. I get you. You just want to play mind games. I can just seeing you laughing up your sleeve. "I'll get him to find a verse about God being the life and then try to explain the obvious." "I'll get him to find the verse about the life of the flesh is in the blood and state the obvious." These things you should already know and should be able to operate on. So I'll just assume you aren't a bit serious but want to push your own agenda.

However, if you are serious, I've given you enough to start on, if you want to think for yourself. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay. I get you. You just want to play mind games. I can just seeing you laughing up your sleeve. "I'll get him to find a verse about God being the life and then try to explain the obvious." "I'll get him to find the verse about the life of the flesh is in the blood and state the obvious." These things you should already know and should be able to operate on. So I'll just assume you aren't a bit serious but want to push your own agenda.

However, if you are serious, I've given you enough to start on, if you want to think for yourself. Enjoy!
I had to think about this overnight, and I thought when I woke this morning, maybe I had been rude and unfair. So I went back through your posts with that expectation, to have to apologise. But I have found out that no, actually you need to be told what I told you. I have asked in this thread for good reasons why Substitutionary Atonement doctrines are believed to be true. This was later on described as being based on the observation that writers of the scripture did not believe in Substitutionary Atonement but entirely in an Everlasting Kingdom of God under Jesus Christ.

But what you have done here equates to showing me that it is possible to believe Substitutionary Atonement doctrines if you go ahead to think about it. That is actually the problem right there. I haven't asked how it is possible to believe it, I have asked why it is believed to be a necessary doctrine (or a true doctrine).

I would certainly welcome you to have a go at that if you want to, and please accept my apology all the same, because I have been quite blunt and expressed my impression of your first comment before I really assessed what was wrong about it.

Upvote 0

muddleglum

May 1, 2015
✟8,060.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
I would certainly welcome you to have a go at that if you want to, and please accept my apology all the same, because I have been quite blunt and expressed my impression of your first comment before I really assessed what was wrong about it.
I cannot hear and never learned how to communicate properly.
This isn't really substitution but identity. To teach you more than that, I would have to take you through many years of study of the Scripture. That isn't my job, so I'll leave you with what I said in case the Holy Spirit wants to show you that. If He doesn't, He doesn't. I'll leave you with the bare-bones. I'll just add that after sacrificing in the O.T. one was often allowed to feast on its flesh.

Abide in Christ and eat of His flesh, (John 6).

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, so you have asked questions in this post that were not answered, and that means that you don't understand me, you are trying to understand me, and by not answering your questions I am not helping you to understand me. Consequently you have come away thinking I am coming at you playing 'mind games' - and that is my fault.
I know that I'm a poor communicator. But, "fairly complicated legal conditions"? Legal? Wow. I seem to have outdone myself!
Legal, yes, as in the laws of physics. For one example, you have said that rejecting God is choosing death. I have described that as a "legal condition". I don't know what scripture you base this on, and you are welcome to provide it. I think of this mainly because Adam, Eve and the rest of creation were given life regardless of whether they chose to reject God or not. Life was a gift from God. It was intended to be a good thing. As far as I can see in the first few chapters of the bible, there is no indication that everlasting life ever was the default state of being. It appears that the human had been given the right to eat from the tree of life, which would allow them to live forever. This is why I showed you that God said "What would happen if they are allowed to eat from the tree of life and live forever?", and consequently protected the tree of life from the human (or rather, protected the human from accessing the tree of life).
Why is it complicated? Are you just trying to insult or am I just that bad a communicator?
Not saying it to insult you. I am saying it to give weight to the problem. I showed you the gospel is really straight forward:

Mankind demonstrates inability to use knowledge of good and evil responsibly even during a short lifespan, so he must not be allowed to live forever. However, if given good leadership (ie Jesus Christ), some humans are capable of making heaven on earth.

Thus, I view all scriptures according to this straight forward gospel message. As soon as you start adding conditions that aren't necessary, it gets complicated. I said your view is fairly complicated. I notice you have said it concisely and briefly, not getting into much detail and all in a single paragraph. But, it still is reflecting an unnecessarily complicated view of the gospel. If you really want to get to the core of this, you could show me the scriptures that you believe indicate that your view of the gospel is necessary. I think when I asked for that yesterday, there was some lack of clarity due to not having answered these questions. I am also sorry for having responded that way.
I fail to see how death being a consequence of rejecting Life is complicated OR legal. It is simple logic.
This statement in isolation is fine. We see that Adam and Eve were aware that by choosing to eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, they would be rejecting life. But, it doesn't show that they were rejecting God, instead they hid from God. We aren't told about their relationship to God after that, but we know that some people choose to accept God, and yet they die. So death is a consequence of original sin, because humans are incapable of being responsible with the knowledge of good and evil, if left to their own devices.
I fail to see how "the life of the flesh is in the blood," which is perfectly good scripture, is complicated.
It's what you did with it that has made it complicated. St Paul said "scripture is useful" for certain things - he didn't say that scripture is useful every time someone uses it.
Maybe legal to you. But it seems a rather simple statement of fact to me.
I am not willing to submit myself to such beliefs unless I understand it to be right. You are entitled to, just it is wrong to get frustrated that I insist on good reasoning.
Perhaps you mean identity is complicated. Christ said if we don't abide in Him and He in us we can do nothing. That refers to identity. He also talked about eating His flesh, which is another way of His expressing identity with us. I could go on in this vein of identity because it goes throughout the N.T. Still, it is a rather simple concept. "I have been co-crucified with Christ," said Paul.
If I addres this, it will get drawn out. I know it. You read a lot of meaning into the scriptures that I feel an immediate pull to challenge. I wonder though whether this comment relates to the topic of the thread. I think it probably doesn't, but let me know if it does and I will probe it.
If you had complained that I dumbed it down, I would understand. As it is, I think I cannot communicate the simplest concepts.
And please reread your own statements. Cherubim? Could you explain that? "Knowledge of good and evil"? Could you explain that? Give fruit from the tree of life? Could you explain that?
Let me know if I haven't cleared this up by now.
Try to explain those concepts to a non-Christian. "Why make your explanation so complicated," they probably would think. What do you think?
I think that without the baggage of Substitutionary Atonement doctrines (which makes God look tyrannical, unfair etc), the gospel would be very easy to preach. This is why I am treating this with utmost importance, and I am honing my sight on this doctrine with a great deal of scepticism, seeing it with more disgust every time someone shows me the fruit it produces.

I have opened this thread to give a chance to the truth to demonstrate that I am not giving it due respect.
Christ still identifies with me as I abide by faith.
He has forgiveness perfected, and He is the perfect redeemer.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I cannot hear and never learned how to communicate properly.
Thank you for telling me this. I acknowledge I have contributed poorly to our conversation, and I am very sorry about that. Please be a bit patient.
This isn't really substitution but identity. To teach you more than that, I would have to take you through many years of study of the Scripture.
Do you know why? .. Why would you object to me describing this as "fairly complicated"? The gospel of Jesus Christ is simple: "leave your life of sin, and come, follow me."
That isn't my job, so I'll leave you with what I said in case the Holy Spirit wants to show you that. If He doesn't, He doesn't. I'll leave you with the bare-bones. I'll just add that after sacrificing in the O.T. one was often allowed to feast on its flesh.

Abide in Christ and eat of His flesh, (John 6).
It probably is worthwhile expanding on this thought, if anything, since Substitutionary Atonement doctrines seem to be entirely based on having taken OT sacrifices to be literally necessary procedures, which without would not provide forgiveness.

Also, FWIW: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+21:17&version=NLT - this relates to the bread that Jesus speaks about in John 6.

Upvote 0

muddleglum

May 1, 2015
✟8,060.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Why would you object to me describing this as "fairly complicated"?
Nope. Here's the problem. Bias. Yes, I was biased, too, so I'm not trying to insult you. I had a certain bias that took years of study to overcome.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is simple: "leave your life of sin, and come, follow me."
There is one step missing. "Abide in Me and I in you. Without Me, you can do nothing"--not even follow. There is your identity. The only exception is trusting, something that even a sheep or a dog can do.

All English refs NASB:
Romans 6:3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into (identity) Christ Jesus
have been baptized into (identity) His death?
4 Therefore we have been buried with (identity (συνεταφημεν)) Him through baptism into (identity) death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too
might walk in newness of life. (identity)
5 For if we have become united with (identity (συμφυτοι)) Him in the likeness of His death, certainly
we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, (identity)
6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with (identity (συνεσταυρωθη)) Him, in order that our
body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to
sin;
7 for he who has died is freed from sin. (No substitution here, just identity.)
8 Now if we have died with (identity (συν)) Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, (identity (συζησομεν))
9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again;
death no longer is master over Him.
10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that
He lives, He lives to God.
11 Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ
Jesus. (Consider because it is true.)

1 Cor 2:16 For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he will instruct Him? But we
have the mind of Christ. (identity!)

Galatians 2:20: "I have been crucified with (identity (συνεσταυρωμαι)) Christ; and it is no longer I who
live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live
by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

True, you can say that syn (as in synthesis) doesn't necessarily mean that close a thought, but Paul was capable of using other words that could communicate the concept of "with" in a looser matter.

But there are many, many more passages that point to identity. Those were just off the top of my head.
Abiding in Christ is the key. Identity. Christ is the head of the Church, His body. Identity.

Upvote 0

AlfredKeith

Periodic Attender
Dec 15, 2012
Haughton, LA
Visit site
✟15,338.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The basis of the substitutionary atonement argument is that God required a perfect sacrifice in order to make atonement for sin. How was Christ that perfect sacrifice? Turning to Hebrews 4:14-15: “Having then a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus son of God, we can hold the confession. For we do not have a high priest that is not able to sympathize with our weaknesses. He was tested in every likeness, but was without sin.” Christ lived an earthly, human life and faced all of the same temptations that every human faces, but he never sinned. This perfect life was acceptable to God to make atonement for sin.

The Bible goes on to tell us in II Corinthians 5:21: “He who did not know sin was made sin on our behalf so that we might become the righteousness of God in him.” It also tells us in I Peter 3:18: “But Christ suffered once concerning sins, the righteous on behalf of the unrighteous, so that he could bring you to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit.” What are these verses telling us? Christ’s righteous life enabled him to be sacrificed in our place in order to reconcile us back to God.

What is the result of this reconciliation? In Romans 3:24 we find: “We are being made righteous by the same gift of grace through the redemption in Christ Jesus whom God set forward as an atoning sacrifice through faith in the same blood.”

Now all of this sounds well enough, but does this reconcile the basis of the argument? Does the Bible teach that God does in fact demand the perfect sacrifice for sin that Christ became? Something to consider: Christ said that nobody comes to the father but through him (John 14:6). Also, consider Hebrews 5:7-10: “During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek.” The phrase that stands out for me is “and, once made perfect.” Unless Christ was the perfect sacrifice that God required, he could never have brought us salvation.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nope. Here's the problem. Bias. Yes, I was biased, too, so I'm not trying to insult you. I had a certain bias that took years of study to overcome.

There is one step missing. "Abide in Me and I in you. Without Me, you can do nothing"--not even follow. There is your identity. The only exception is trusting, something that even a sheep or a dog can do.

All English refs NASB:
Romans 6:3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into (identity) Christ Jesus
4 Therefore we have been buried with (identity (συνεταφημεν)) Him through baptism into (identity) death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too
5 For if we have become united with (identity (συμφυτοι)) Him in the likeness of His death, certainly
6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with (identity (συνεσταυρωθη)) Him, in order that our
sin;
8 Now if we have died with (identity (συν)) Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, (identity (συζησομεν))

1 Cor 2:16 For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he will instruct Him? But we

Galatians 2:20: "I have been crucified with (identity (συνεσταυρωμαι)) Christ; and it is no longer I who

True, you can say that syn (as in synthesis) doesn't necessarily mean that close a thought, but Paul was capable of using other words that could communicate the concept of "with" in a looser matter.

But there are many, many more passages that point to identity. Those were just off the top of my head.
Abiding in Christ is the key. Identity. Christ is the head of the Church, His body. Identity.
The basis of the substitutionary atonement argument is that God required a perfect sacrifice in order to make atonement for sin. How was Christ that perfect sacrifice? Turning to Hebrews 4:14-15: “Having then a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus son of God, we can hold the confession. For we do not have a high priest that is not able to sympathize with our weaknesses. He was tested in every likeness, but was without sin.” Christ lived an earthly, human life and faced all of the same temptations that every human faces, but he never sinned. This perfect life was acceptable to God to make atonement for sin.

The Bible goes on to tell us in II Corinthians 5:21: “He who did not know sin was made sin on our behalf so that we might become the righteousness of God in him.” It also tells us in I Peter 3:18: “But Christ suffered once concerning sins, the righteous on behalf of the unrighteous, so that he could bring you to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit.” What are these verses telling us? Christ’s righteous life enabled him to be sacrificed in our place in order to reconcile us back to God.

What is the result of this reconciliation? In Romans 3:24 we find: “We are being made righteous by the same gift of grace through the redemption in Christ Jesus whom God set forward as an atoning sacrifice through faith in the same blood.”

Now all of this sounds well enough, but does this reconcile the basis of the argument? Does the Bible teach that God does in fact demand the perfect sacrifice for sin that Christ became? Something to consider: Christ said that nobody comes to the father but through him (John 14:6). Also, consider Hebrews 5:7-10: “During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek.” The phrase that stands out for me is “and, once made perfect.” Unless Christ was the perfect sacrifice that God required, he could never have brought us salvation.
Thanks for this. I am on a tablet which is tricky to edit with, so I plan to respond fully in the morning. Meanwhile if you get time to look at this article, would you mind telling me whether you find it an acceptable translation of 2 Corinthians 5:21. This guy is right that it causes a lot of division, since it is naturally confusing to us as translated to English. His translation has inspired me to take this thread into deeper discussion if you find it acceptable, as now there is two of you who are serious and able. Thanks, and I have an idea already to respond to what else you said.

http://www.wordofhisgrace.org/2cor521QA.htm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlfredKeith

Periodic Attender
Dec 15, 2012
Haughton, LA
Visit site
✟15,338.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Quoting from the article you reference by Peter Ditzel:

Considering this, then, what is the best and most natural translation of 2 Corinthians 5:21? Of course, it is simply this: "For the One not knowing sin, He made a sin offering for us, that we should become the righteousness of God in Him."

I personally consider his translation of "hamartia" in this verse as "sin offering" to be perfectly acceptable. It is common for Greek words to be translated in many different ways based upon the context of the verse. Also, his approach is in full conformity with the Law of Moses that the animal sacrifices under the Law were "sin offerings," and Christ was also a "sin offering."

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I checked a commentary and the Greek. NRSV is a straightforward translation: "For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." Just what it means for him to have been made sin, and for us to become the righteousness of God has been talked about many times.

It appears clear to me that "him to have been made sin" is substitution. Whether penal substitution is less clear. The context talks about reconciliation and new life. Perhaps that happens through punishment, but I don’t think the text says so. Some commentators read “made sin” as made a sin offering. Even if that’s true, it depends upon your understanding of the OT offerings. I understand the sacrifices to be primarily a sacrament of repentance and reconciliation, not punishment.

What does it mean for us to become the righteousness of God? I understand God’s righteousness as his commitment to act according to his covenant. The phrase doesn’t seem to make sense literally, since a person can’t be righteousness. But my reading is that we are the demonstration of God’s righteousness, in this case his honoring his covenant by reconciling us to himself.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I checked a commentary and the Greek. NRSV is a straightforward translation: "For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." Just what it means for him to have been made sin, and for us to become the righteousness of God has been talked about many times.

It appears clear to me that "him to have been made sin" is substitution. Whether penal substitution is less clear. The context talks about reconciliation and new life. Perhaps that happens through punishment, but I don’t think the text says so. Some commentators read “made sin” as made a sin offering. Even if that’s true, it depends upon your understanding of the OT offerings. I understand the sacrifices to be primarily a sacrament of repentance and reconciliation, not punishment.

What does it mean for us to become the righteousness of God? I understand God’s righteousness as his commitment to act according to his covenant. The phrase doesn’t seem to make sense literally, since a person can’t be righteousness. But my reading is that we are the demonstration of God’s righteousness, in this case his honoring his covenant by reconciling us to himself.
To me, to say that someone "is sin", is poor grammar. If you think it is good grammar, can you please describe what you think that phrase means? I don't know really the names of different types of English words, but if this was said by a native English speaker, I expect it would rather read something like "was made sinful", "was made to represent sin", or as we probably will commonly agree "was made to be a sin offering". As far as I know, in all manners of speech by native English speakers, nobody has ever actually been described as sin, rather what a person thinks and does is what is called sin, and when they do it, it is sinful. They are called a sinner.

However, I would like to know what it means to you since you have said that it seems quite clear. To me, sin is something that humans can't be. They can be sinful though. I will wait for your explanation before I continue, because it might show me to be in error and I would rather make sure I am not. Thanks!

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
To me, to say that someone "is sin", is poor grammar. If you think it is good grammar, can you please describe what you think that phrase means? I don't know really the names of different types of English words, but if this was said by a native English speaker, I expect it would rather read something like "was made sinful", "was made to represent sin", or as we probably will commonly agree "was made to be a sin offering". As far as I know, in all manners of speech by native English speakers, nobody has ever actually been described as sin, rather what a person thinks and does is what is called sin, and when they do it, it is sinful. They are called a sinner.

Apparently it is not quite grammatical. There is a parallel construction in Gal 3:13: “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us.” At any rate, there’s an obvious parallelism in 2 Cor 5:21: Christ becomes sin so we can become the righteousness of God.

I haven’t found a good explanation of the grammar of either Gal 3:13 and 2 Cor 5:21. However my assumption would be that what is intended is something quite absolute. Christ didn’t become sinful, he didn’t just take on one person’s sin. He became sin itself, concentrating all of the alienation between God and mankind in himself. Similarly, we become the place where God reconciles himself with mankind. But that’s me reacting to English with a Greek interlinear, and not a scholarly treatise on Greek expression.

N T Wright translates “The Messiah did not know sin, but God made him to be sin on our behalf, so that in him we might embody God’s faithfulness to the covenant.”

There are scholars who read “sin” as “sin offering,” which of course would make more sense grammatically. This goes back at least to Calvin: "Paul, too, has in this, and other passages, borrowed this phrase from the Hebrews, among whom אשם (asham) denotes an expiatory sacrifice, as well as an offence or crime." But I think that may be an attempt at softening an expression that was intended to be striking. And it doesn’t help with “righteousness,” which should be parallel.

Upvote 0

AlfredKeith

Periodic Attender
Dec 15, 2012
Haughton, LA
Visit site
✟15,338.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At this point, I am going to give a "copout" response. Looking at the last four responses, I think that there is solid scriptural evidence for both interpretations of II Cor 5:21 -- Christ was a "sin offering" and Christ became "sin" itself on our behalf. I feel that substitutionary atonement is one of the "mysteries" of Christian doctrine. It is something that we can describe, but it is not something that we are truly capable of understanding (much like the concept of the triune being of God). The great "mystery" is that God accepted Christ's death on our behalf in order that we could have salvation. This accomplished the requirements of the great spiritual law: without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sin (Heb 9:22).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

All English refs NASB:
sin;

Hmmm, I don't know why you think it is necessary to have added this. Can you please explain what value it gives? When I look at the original statement as St Paul made in Romans chapter 6, I see he is saying exactly what is said in the quote I gave you: "leave your life of sin". What baffles me is why you have gone and added the word "Identity" in every sentence that St Paul has made, but then you have said that identity is a crucial part of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I just wonder why you think that this identity is not already implied by the instrcution "follow me". - Or maybe I have been distracted again by what seems to be an unnecessary complication. I sense that you and I are having a natural contention due to fundamental differences in faith. There is something I object to strongly in people who read meanings into text that aren't there. I keep getting distracted by your tendency to do that.

The basis of the substitutionary atonement argument is that God required a perfect sacrifice in order to make atonement for sin.
Can you please explain this for me? I don't understand why God is not able to forgive without a perfect sacrifice being made to atone for sin. This is probably the root of this issue for me. I actually don't see how a perfect life being given can make forgiveness any easier. In fact, if something perfect and innocent was killed and claimed by a guilty party as some sort of right to demand forgiveness, I reckon any person with a normal mentality would be infuriated.

How was Christ that perfect sacrifice? Turning to Hebrews 4:14-15: “Having then a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus son of God, we can hold the confession. For we do not have a high priest that is not able to sympathize with our weaknesses. He was tested in every likeness, but was without sin.” Christ lived an earthly, human life and faced all of the same temptations that every human faces, but he never sinned.
I must view this very differently to you, because I do not draw the same conclusion from reading this verse as you seem to. This speaks about having a high priest that is without sin. This means, that if we are instructed by Him, and we look to Him for instruction, we can rely on Him in full faith, having no doubt that He is confident and worthy to mediate with God on our behalf.
This perfect life was acceptable to God to make atonement for sin.
Can you please explain how His life has atoned for our sin? I reckon you and I are looking at this fundamentally differently too.
I do not agree with this conclusion. Let me show you how I view 1 Peter 3:18

But Christ suffered once concerning sins

He lived and died only once in the era of a generation that is wicked.

, the righteous on behalf of the unrighteous, so that he could bring you to God,

He gave His life as a ransom for many: Alternative options were: fight or flee. Since nothing is gained by fleeing and all is lost, the only other option is to fight. We can remember what He said to St Peter in Gethsemane "If I wanted to fight, I could call upon legions of angels. But it will be done this way so the scriptures can be fulfilled that say it must be so". Think: if He had brought Armageddon 2,000 years ago, would you and I have been born? I suppose not. That is how I view the life of the righteous was laid down on behalf of the unrighteous. Therefore, if He had not given His life, He would not have been able to bring you and I to God. But that was God's will, and the nature of Jesus Christ. No greater love has this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.

having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit.

The flesh will die, that is a given fact of life. But the gift is not like the trespass, because by the grace of this one man Jesus Christ, *life* has overflowed to many. Thus, although we all will die in the flesh as the consequence of sin, some of us are made alive in a spiritual sense through what Jesus Christ has done.
Can you please tell me the name of this translation you have used? I have consulted quite a few translations on these verses, and there is an extremely subtle inflection of substitutionary atonement doctrine in most of them (which we should not be so surprised to see). However, when reading the interlinear translation and even a couple of the other translations, we can see that it is supporting the view of the gospel in terms of forgiveness and redemption through faith in Jesus Christ, without need to read a Substitution for sin into it.
Too right. Do you remember that He was tempted by Satan in the desert? Do you think that was the end of the temptation? I rather view that Jesus is the one in whom redemption from sin is made possible because He has resisted sin to the fullest human extent. This is something that cannot be achieved by any other man, and this is why the kingdom of God has failed to be run without corruption since the very beginning (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=genesis+3:5-6&version=NIV). Whereas Jesus has proven His obedience to God's will to the fullest extent possible (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew+27:40-44&version=NIV, https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+4:3&version=NIV, https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Philippians+2:8&version=NIV, https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john+6:15&version=NIV). Now if you aren't accustomed to viewing the gospel this way, it can be easy to look at the significance of these words and to not really pick up the subtle meaning that St Paul puts into them: "through faith in the same blood." - Faith in the blood that was shed in order to make atonement for sin. How is it possible to atone for sin? By being perfectly obedient to the will of God. There is no other way.

Then look again to the verse your produced earlier:

Hebrews 4:14-15: “Having then a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus son of God, we can hold the confession. For we do not have a high priest that is not able to sympathize with our weaknesses. He was tested in every likeness, but was without sin.”

.. What did He accomplish by His sacrifice on the cross? He proved Phillipians 2:8. That is the propitiation for sin. This is not a discussion about what gives God a legal right to wave a magic wand to fix the world's problems. This is investigating the true nuts and bolts of how the gospel of Jesus Christ redeems the world from sin and makes it possible for humans to live forever while having the knowledge of good and evil.

Quoting from the article you reference by Peter Ditzel:

Considering this, then, what is the best and most natural translation of 2 Corinthians 5:21? Of course, it is simply this: "For the One not knowing sin, He made a sin offering for us, that we should become the righteousness of God in Him."

I personally consider his translation of "hamartia" in this verse as "sin offering" to be perfectly acceptable. It is common for Greek words to be translated in many different ways based upon the context of the verse. Also, his approach is in full conformity with the Law of Moses that the animal sacrifices under the Law were "sin offerings," and Christ was also a "sin offering."

It would help me to know Greek language at this point, but anyway the truth appears quite consistent and we should keep in mind that translations into English are impacting our view of original doctrine, especially since the translators have that inbuilt bias which causes them to only imagine what the original statement means in context of what they think it means, a result of thousands of years of indoctrination and a thousand years of which containing Substitutionary Atonement theologies.

Regardless, there is something common going on here that we can both agree to accept. Can you please tell me what was the need for a sin offering to be made under the old covenant? Was it something to do with guilt and feeling discomfort with one's self in God's view, and that God had instututed procedures by which someone could feel that they were in right standing with Him?

Thats a valid point to make about the becoming the righteousness of God being invalid English grammar. But it probably is not really relevant to us right now, though it might become important if the discussion progresses to assess how redemption is effected.

Nonetheless, would you like to describe how you understand the substitution to actually work? Yes, the understanding of OT sacrifices is a key compnent in this topic. Please go ahead and establish the basis of your understanding of that, as it forms the basis of your view of atonement.

Ah, so that's what a "plain reading" looks like. ;)

There is plenty of reading and thinking and talking going on here, but not as much consultation with the High Priest as there should be, IMO.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Nonetheless, would you like to describe how you understand the substitution to actually work? Yes, the understanding of OT sacrifices is a key compnent in this topic. Please go ahead and establish the basis of your understanding of that, as it forms the basis of your view of atonement.

How does the atonement work? Scripture uses lots of metaphors and images, but there aren’t a lot of specific explanations. The most specific I can think of are:

* Rom 6
* Heb, particularly 9 - 10
* the Words of Institution

Rom 6 speaks of the double exchange. Christ takes our sin and annihilates it. Our old selves die with him. We become new people through his resurrection. This works because of our union with him.

Heb and the Words of Institution speak of Jesus’ death as a covenant sacrifice, to establish the new covenant of Jer 31:31. Note that Heb 9 specifically associates sacrifice with the first covenant (9:18-22), and it identifies blood as purification, not punishment.

Part of the issue is how we think OT sacrifices work. I assume that God does not require punishment. The prophets are clear that God does not require sacrifice, but rather repentance. So what is the role of sacrifice?

My assumption would be that sacrifice is basically a kind of sacramental way of sealing a serious commitment. That it isn’t primarily punishment is clear from the facts (1) that it is also used for establishing a covenant, where punishment doesn’t apply, and (2) that grain can be substituted for an animal. It’s hard to see how we can punish grain. Thus I think sin sacrifice basically is a way to dramatize and cement the repentance without which the sacrifice is useless.

Note that in 1st Cent Judaism, the death of a martyr has redemptive power for others. Examples are the binding of Isaac (which was treated by Judaism of the time almost as if the death had happened), Is 53, and 2 Macc. I am not convinced that this is because the martyr was punished for everyone else. Rather, his obedience, even to the death, unleashes a power that through solidarity with him, others can experience and be changed by.

Jesus pretty clearly foresaw the disaster that his people would experience if they didn’t repent of their violence. He wept for Jerusalem. I think his obedience and repentance was intended to inspire and through faith transform others. When seen from God’s point of view, it was also a covenant sacrifice, sealing his commitment to his people, and his willingness to take on the primary responsibility, and the cost, of fixing us. As Hebrews points out, something that broken can’t be fixed without blood. Not because God is blood-thirsty, but because things are so messed up that nothing but that level of obedience and self-sacrifice can fix it.

In the posting you quote, I was speaking of 2 Cor 5:21. As I see it, this is speaking of the double exchange described more fully in Rom 6. In Rom 6, Jesus takes our sin, transcends it in death, and becomes the source of our righteousness, through resurrection. I believe 2 Cor is saying something similar with Jesus becoming sin, thus removing it from us, so that by union with him (“in him”) we might become God’s righteousness. I gave a more specific understanding of the wording above.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
n Rom 6, Jesus takes our sin, transcends it in death, and becomes the source of our righteousness, through resurrection.
Thanks Hedrick, I will get to the rest of what you said later since it is midday and I need to use the daylight. I just quoted this piece that you said, I wonder if you could explain why you have said "Jesus takes our sin" - what does this phrase mean to you?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks Hedrick, I will get to the rest of what you said later since it is midday and I need to use the daylight. I just quoted this piece that you said, I wonder if you could explain why you have said "Jesus takes our sin" - what does this phrase mean to you?
Look at Rom 6:1-11. That's the most explicit you're going to get. I may try something more later.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.