Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
CA-Conservatives
That is the cover page, now dig deeper. Sure you looked up some warmer climates. If I lived in Egypt, I would want to wear long flowing tunics. But certainly in colder areas like Germany and China, I would be lookign for added warmth.

"Both men and women wore tunics, and women's tunics were longer than men's tunics. Both men and women wore cloaks or capes over their tunics to keep warm.
Because it was colder in Germany, people wore mainly wool rather than linen, and a lot of them wore fur capes or fur-lined pants also."

"...people also believed that God wanted them to be covered up, especially women, so that men would not see their bodies. People said that women would be safer if their bodies were hidden under layers of cloth.
So women in the Islamic Empire wore long, loose tunics, like T-shirts that reached down to your knees, usually made of linen or cotton, and sometimes made of silk. Women also wore loose pants under their tunics."

"People in China generally wore tunics (like long t-shirts). Women wore long tunics down to the ground, with belts, and men wore shorter ones down to their knees. Sometimes they wore jackets over their tunics. In the winter, when it was cold, people wore padded jackets over their tunics, and sometimes pants under them."

When I was a child girls were not allowed to come to school in pants. If it was really cold we could wear them to school but had to remove them before the first bell.
I moved farther north when I was 10. There I found that girls had to wear pants. It was a safety issue. You were allowed to wear a dress, but you were required to have pants for going outside. In fact it was recommended that you keep them on all day in case of fire alarm because you could get frostbite in a matter of minutes at some times of year.

Here is another page where the women wore short pants and the men wore long pants.
http://library.thinkquest.org/11313/Early_History/Native_Alaskans/eskimo.html
and here are some pictures of the clothing.
http://www.civilization.ca/aborig/threads/thred03e.html

Upvote 0

LittleladyinChrist

Dec 26, 2006
✟16,041.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So if I wear a pair of pants under my skirt where people can not see it, that would mean that i am dressing like a man? hrm... As well, you take your reasoning to extreme lengths. We are not eskimo's, and even in winter you can wear skirts, put on a pair of long johns or tights. Dont argue with me, take it to the Lord and ask Him to show you honestly. If you have decided to work on tractors or unsafe equipment were it is not a good idea to wear a dress for safety reasons, then dont wear one, im sure the Lord doesnt want you to be pulled into a slicer. But alot of women dont work on farm equipment, but then again alot of mennonite ladies work on the farm all year long, and they somehow manage...

Upvote 0

rainbowpromise

Senior Contributor
May 10, 2006
British Columbia
✟26,521.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Littlelady...are you saying that you believe women at all times should wear skirts out in public, at church, and what about at home? Just curious. I too am a skirt wearer, but not because I think the Lord wants that, but I'm more comfortable in a skirt. :)

For me skirts are very uncomfortable and immodest as I fulfill my "help-meet" duties as a wife. I could do most of my housework in a skirt, but not my farm work.

Upvote 0

rainbowpromise

Senior Contributor
May 10, 2006
British Columbia
✟26,521.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
CA-Conservatives
So if I wear a pair of pants under my skirt where people can not see it, that would mean that i am dressing like a man? hrm... As well, you take your reasoning to extreme lengths. We are not eskimo's, and even in winter you can wear skirts, put on a pair of long johns or tights. Dont argue with me, take it to the Lord and ask Him to show you honestly. If you have decided to work on tractors or unsafe equipment were it is not a good idea to wear a dress for safety reasons, then dont wear one, im sure the Lord doesnt want you to be pulled into a slicer. But alot of women dont work on farm equipment, but then again alot of mennonite ladies work on the farm all year long, and they somehow manage...

I do believe that it is where our heart is. If I were to dress in my farm working clothes, which by the way are flower print pants that I would not wear anywhere else, and try to take over my husband's authority, I would be wrong. I am there strictly as a help-meet to my husband. He is a farmer, therefore I am a farmer along side him.

Upvote 0

mesue

Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟32,662.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello I am looking for Biblical answers as to why women should wear skirts. This is for myself and others information. ;)
*in town cryer voice*
Thou shalt wearest a skirt and thine skirt shalt be no less than four finger's breadth below the knee.
From the Book of Legal 11:20
*end of town cryer voice*
My Bible says
Romans 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
1Timothy 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
Nothing about skirts, pants or dresses. Just to be modest in apparel and not to be an occasion to cause a brother, or sisiter, to stumble.

Upvote 0

peacechild

Freethinker/Skeptic/Humanist/Atheist
Apr 24, 2005
✟15,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Costume and Fashion makes the following observation on the issue of pants on women: "The real pants revolution came in the 1960s, with unisex fashions, though even at this time women wearing pants were often refused entry to restaurants and the whole subject was one of heated debate. By the 1970s rules and social attitudes had relaxed and pants of many lengths and styles had become an acceptable part of female dress for both casual and formal attire." This secular book
admits that the growth in the popularity of pants on females in Western culture was part and parcel with the sexual revolution and the unisex phenomenon, both of which are an affront to the
God of the Bible.

Deuteronomy 22:5 - The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

abom.i.na.tion -’ba:m-*-’na--sh*nn 1: something abominable 2: extreme disgust and hatred : LOATHING

And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, AND WEAR OUR OWN APPAREL: -Isaiah 4:1a-

"Yeah, but what makes you think that pants are a man’s garment?"
  1. "Breeches" were an article of clothing designed by God for the priests who were all men. The word does not occur very often in scripture, but in every case it’s men’s apparel (Exodus 28:42, Leviticus 6:10, 16:4). According to my Hebrew lexicon, "breeches" means "trousers that extend to the knee, below the knee, or to the ankles." This would include pants, shorts, or culottes.
  2. Until the advent of Hollywood and the movie screen, everyone (including lost people) knew that pants were men’s apparel and dresses were women’s apparel, and they dressed accordingly. Our culture’s (and sadly most churches’) acceptance of cross-dressing has resulted largely from the influence of television, the placement of women in the workforce, and the pressures of twentieth century feminism.
  3. The universal symbol for designating a men’s bathroom is a stick figure wearing a pair of pants. The universal symbol for designating a woman’s bathroom is a stick figure wearing a dress. Coincidence? Hardly. Even our sinful society recognizes that there is a difference in a man’s and woman’s clothing.
  4. Pants are a symbol of authority, as evidenced by the saying " I’m the one who wears the pants in the family." Sadly, most women might as well wear the pants, since they rule their homes anyway!

"Yeah, but that’s in the Old Testament, so it doesn’t apply to Christians today."?

II Timothy 3:16 - ALL SCRIPTURE is given by inspiration of God, and IS PROFITABLE for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

:prayer:

It is often a good idea to cite the place you copy information from -- leave a link...
http://www.pricelesswoman.com/Other_Pages/What_About_Women_Wearing_Pants.html

The truth is, logically, men started wearing pants when their skirts/robes were less practicle and later, the same thing occured with women.

I'm not sure of the specifics, but I have heard about records of women wearing pants in acient times in places such as India, Greece and China.
Here http://www.answers.com/topic/women-s-history, it says: "For example, ancient Greeks often considered the wearing of trousers by Persian men as a sign of an effeminate attitude."

There is a really good article which also deals with the original hebrew words and the context of the bible verses found on cross-dressing: http://www.actseighteen.com/articles/women-pants.htm
Excerpt:
"However, the usage of the word abomination in Deut 22:5 does not necessarily make it a timeless moral law because any violation of God’s mandates is an abomination to Him, whether it is a violation of ceremonial law or moral law. Furthermore, Deut 22:5 is placed squarely in the middle of, and is completely surrounded by, ceremonial laws. If it is indeed a principle to be literally followed today, why would God choose to bury this verse in the middle of what are clearly ceremonial laws?

The second argument against Christian women wearing pants is that pants have historically been worn by and associated with men and are therefore men’s clothing. One problem with this view is that it is not a consistently applied principle among those that advocate it. Many of the articles of clothing have histories of originating with a certain sex. Consider t-shirts – these too were invented for men and originally worn exclusively by men. The t-shirt was introduced to America during WWI when American soldiers noticed European soldiers wearing them. By WWII, the t-shirt became standard issue in the American military and was quickly introduced into American fashion.6 Not only were t-shirts originally invented for men, but they were invented specifically for the military. Considering this in light of the true meaning of Deut 22:5, which seems to be forbidding women from wearing the habiliments of a soldier, it would logically follow that a woman wearing a t-shirt would be in much greater violation of this verse than a woman wearing pants. Furthermore, there is no distinction between men’s and women’s t-shirts."

Here is a short, but very interesting article that I found on the history of women wearing pants.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/54701/the_history_of_pants_and_women_wearing.html

Upvote 0

rainbowpromise

Senior Contributor
May 10, 2006
British Columbia
✟26,521.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
CA-Conservatives
For an interesting commentary on this issue, check this website out:

http://www.kjvbaptist.com/html/Doctrine/Pants.html
Good commentary.

We have had a woman attending our church for about three years now. She is very tall (well over 6') and has a hard time finding clothing. She wears pants to church every week. I always assumed it was because she could not find dresses of modest length for her size and since she does not sew, nor can she afford to get someone else to sew her a dress, I didn't say a word. I also wondered at whether she could even find a pair of mens dress shoes that looked feminine enough to go with a dress.

Anyway, on Christmas Eve I found out that she has been expecting to be kicked out of our church for wearing pants. All these years and her family has been waiting to be kicked out. Aparently every other Baptist church she attended had an issue with her wearing pants.

That is sad! :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

catofhope

Cathy loves her husband Randy
Dec 19, 2006
✟29,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just started attending a Independent Baptist Church and they do not care if females wear skirts or dresses.

The pastor showed up at my house for a visit wearing JEANS. :eek: :thumbsup:

Isn't it more important that people are in the church building than worrying about what they are wearing?

And what if they can not afford decent clothes?
Or because of a health issue it is not possible.

Upvote 0

rainbowpromise

Senior Contributor
May 10, 2006
British Columbia
✟26,521.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Rainbow Promise and Mesue, you both go to Independent Fundamental Baptist Churches, or so it seems. Are you telling me they do not hold to this same doctrine of Women wearing skirts/dresses??

We do not. Our current pastor started his ministry in Alaska. ;) Our previous pastor continually preached about modesty and his wife was big on tidiness, but never dresses or skirts.

Upvote 0

mesue

Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟32,662.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Rainbow Promise and Mesue, you both go to Independent Fundamental Baptist Churches, or so it seems. Are you telling me they do not hold to this same doctrine of Women wearing skirts/dresses??
Not my church. I have to say, unless you are in the pulpit teaching (women teaching women like ladies Bible study) or in Choir. We don't have robes. But to go to church service? We're more interested in your relationship with Jesus. My husband is Children's Education Supervisor, he has a beard :eek:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rainbowpromise

Senior Contributor
May 10, 2006
British Columbia
✟26,521.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ya thats what I meant. In my church, its not like they will kick you out if your not wearing a dress/skirt. But if you want to be in ministry you have to abide by those standards.

Most of the people in our church are involved in ministries within our church. Our ministry requirements include regular church attendance and living in such a way to set a good daily example for the people or children we work with.

Upvote 0

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
Southeast Florida, US (Coral Gables near Miami)
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Women should wear skirts because they have the subcutaneous fat to even out the bumps and pull it off succesfully.

At my Presbyterean Church, once a year a bunch of guys dress up in kilts (male skirts) for reformation sunday and walk around troubling us all with bagpipe noise. Men's legs aint pretty. :cry:

JR

Upvote 0
Just because a woman's wears pants doesn't mean they're wrong/sinning. The scripture that's used for women not to wear nothing that pertained to a man is too easily overlooked with other garments such as a shirt. I think it's really a gray area in scripture. How many churches have choir robes that all look the same? How many churches have t-shirts made to all look the same? How about sandals/tennis shoes? Scripture says, to dress modestly not, if thou are a female, you must only wear dresses or skirts.

People 100 years ago thought a woman showing her ankles was scandalous. My great-grandmother told stories to me about how it was growing up. She talked about how woman wore dresses that dragged the ground & how dirty they got. When the length was shorten to be able to walk better & the bottoms stay cleaner how people had fits over it. Woman stayed at home, especially if they were pregnant & the word *pregnant* was a dirty word. How many christian dress wearing women go out in public now and use the word *pregnant* instead of *with child*? According to what people thought 100 years ago, they're living immodest, scandalous/sin.

Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.