ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Why do people seek "God"?

Buddhism explains our search in terms of dukkha (aka suffering, discontentment, displeasure, etc.). That is, because of dukkha, we seek out god(s), saviors, prophets, psychics, doctors, politicians, love, food, money, sex, sleep, entertainment, etc.

Why not address dukkha itself, as the Lord Buddha taught, instead of seeking to treat its symptoms? Dig out the roots (of dukkha), instead of endlessly snipping its offshoots.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Buddhism explains our search in terms of dukkha (aka suffering, discontentment, displeasure, etc.). That is, because of dukkha, we seek out god(s), saviors, prophets, psychics, doctors, politicians, love, food, money, sex, sleep, entertainment, etc.

Why not address dukkha itself, as the Lord Buddha taught, instead of seeking to treat its symptoms? Dig out the roots (of dukkha), instead of endlessly snipping its offshoots.
If you would like an answer from Scripture, Isaiah 55.6 says: "Seek ye the LORD while He may be found; call ye upon Him while He is near".

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,242,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I can only speak for myself, but I do it because I'm currently
of the belief that He is the most beautiful, loving, wise
entity with Whom I would ever hope to have a relationship.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Who among us can really remedy all our own suffering, discontentment, displeasure, etc.? We should instead put our trust in God and do good, take delight in Him and commit our way to Him by doing as He leads us.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Who among us can really remedy all our own suffering, discontentment, displeasure, etc.? We should instead put our trust in God and do good, take delight in Him and commit our way to Him by doing as He leads us.
The further I walk along the Buddha's Path, the more I resolve my own sufferings, discontentments, and displeasures.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do people seek "God"?Buddhism explains our search in terms of dukkha (aka suffering, discontentment, displeasure, etc.). That is, because of dukkha, we seek out god(s), saviors, prophets, psychics, doctors, politicians, love, food, money, sex, sleep, entertainment, etc.Why not address dukkha itself, as the Lord Buddha taught, instead of seeking to treat its symptoms? Dig out the roots (of dukkha), instead of endlessly snipping its offshoots.

There is only one God and Creator. People have come
up with many names and excuses for seeking God.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a few ideas in no particular order...

1. Societal pressure: As we've seen here multiple times, you're obviously a demon possessed monster incapable of love or morality unless you belong to the majority religion in your society. Being the social animals that we are, being an outcast makes life more difficult, so just go along with the crowd.

2. Comfort: The world is a pretty dynamic and often chaotic place so it's nice to believe that there's some benevolent entity in charge who is looking out for you. Something that is supposed to be static, reliable, and unchanging.

3. Justice: The world is often unfair, too, and even the best law and judicial systems are far from perfect. It's nice to believe that when someone gets away with harming the innocent, that person can't escape justice in the afterlife even if he or she does in this life.

4. Simplicity and/or laziness: Life is complex and the universe can be very hard to understand, so fall back to god to fill in the answers to things we don't know or don't want to invest all the time and effort into learning on our own.

5. Basic psychological need. I work in the tech industry and spend a VERY large part of my life sitting in front of computers. While I enjoy what I do (despite people who insist on using a Mac in a Microsoft corporate environment for no specific reason), I'm pretty sure a large part of why I pursue a Pagan path is because of it's emphasis on nature and the environment. It at least tries to balance things out and reminds me there is still a natural world out there that I need to return to.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

While some denominations seem to be a bit lacking and only address some parts (to be fair, I think it is from them trying to be careful) ...

The reality is that the early Church found in God the grace to align all parts of our self. Pleasure, displeasure, addictions, urgings, pain --- all of it finds peace when understood and experienced with the grace of God.

We don't really seek God because we want to be healed, usually. We usually seek God because we sense a void in ourselves or are drawn to Him. But in the end, when we find Him, we ARE healed.

My current signature is a VERY short comment on that reality. And I have experienced the truth of it myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
While some denominations seem to be a bit lacking and only address some parts (to be fair, I think it is from them trying to be careful) ...

The reality is that the early Church found in God the grace to align all parts of our self. Pleasure, displeasure, addictions, urgings, pain --- all of it finds peace when understood and experienced with the grace of God.

We don't really seek God because we want to be healed, usually. We usually seek God because we sense a void in ourselves or are drawn to Him. But in the end, when we find Him, we ARE healed.

My current signature is a VERY short comment on that reality. And I have experienced the truth of it myself.
Thanks for sharing your journey. I did not find that healing until Buddhism, myself.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Becasue I never speak of my most personal accomplishments.
How would that help anyone other than my ego?
I need to live my accomplishments for them to be real to others.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The further I walk along the Buddha's Path, the more I resolve my own sufferings, discontentments, and displeasures.

But how can you be so sure you’re a lamp to yourself and it’s not God communicating with you… He can work through your imagination as well as anything else.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
But how can you be so sure you’re a lamp to yourself and it’s not God communicating with you… He can work through your imagination as well as anything else.
I don't know.

All I know is that the Buddhist Path works for me. The "who" behind it is irrelevant, in my eyes.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Sounds like they're all aspects of suffering.

Perhaps to some extent at least for some people it's fair to say that.

I would also add:

Identity: Seeking god through a religion can often define someone; an easy way to communicate who they are and what they stand for as well as easily identify and relate to friends (and foes as the religion dictates).

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know.

All I know is that the Buddhist Path works for me. The "who" behind it is irrelevant, in my eyes.

Who else could it be but God? Have you ever thought that clearly before on your own? He sees everyone in a special way… maybe He’s communicating with you in a special way. Seek Him and find out.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Are you saying you've found an answer to the problem of living a difficult life with no result to show for the trouble? You should write a book. You'll be a huge success overnight.

Upvote 0