Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
.... Not everyone is suited to care for a Pit Bull or understands what is required for socialization, training, and overall care. There are no requirements that differentiate between the guy getting a Pit Bull just because it looks cool, someone getting one for fighting, or someone who will take care of and train the dog properly.

Agreed.

...though I'm not sure how screening requirements could be implemented.

Upvote 0
M

muslimsoldier4life

Agreed.

...though I'm not sure how screening requirements could be implemented.

Well for one, there would have to be proof that one has owned and properly cared for a dog before. I adopted my redbone from the Humane Society and the screening process wasn't exactly thorough to be honest. We require more stringent background checks on someone buying a gun, then we do with someone getting a Pit Bull.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You blame the dog or the owner?

If at anytime, some punk like this makes a threat such as this, I wanna see if he has the balls to do it. Then I proceed to shoot their dog in front of them.
In most states; Any property owner can shoot any dog that enters their property univited. Typically it was established to protect livestock(chickens), but is commonly used for stray dog control.

If your dog entered the yard and the person in possesion of the property took it as a threat, they could legally shoot it.
You would be charged with illegal discharge of a weapon in city limits, animal cruelty, inducing panic, etc.

Your spiteful move would be very costly. I don't like the laws, but even my chihuahua could be shot by the property owner or renter.

I sure wouldn't call for help either. Or maybe I would . But then I won't get a cat. Not because I don't like cats but because I'm not losing one to the coyotes. If I got a cat that can take on the coyotes then no shame calling for help.

BTW add Presa Canario and Cane Corso to the list. Both big powerful dogs. I had a Presa, sweetest thing, thought a bit dumb (perhaps that is unfair our other was a smarter than many humans Belgian Sheepdog, rather unfair comparison). The Cane Corsos I've met have all been very nice dogs too. BUT all of either breed have power to spare. I was quite comfortable letting Joey gnaw on my arm (gently, he had an amazingly soft mouth). But he had the power to bit clean through my arm if he decided to do so.
My list was not all inclusive, just the ones that came to mind right away.

GSD, Dobermans, and Rotts have mostly been removed from these lists after they have proven that they are not overly aggressive and are beneficial to society in other ways then the mean junk yard dog or guard dogs.
Pits and pit look alikes will have to prove to society they are also beneficial.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In most states; Any property owner can shoot any dog that enters their property univited. Typically it was established to protect livestock(chickens), but is commonly used for stray dog control.

If your dog entered the yard and the person in possesion of the property took it as a threat, they could legally shoot it.
You would be charged with illegal discharge of a weapon in city limits, animal cruelty, inducing panic, etc.

Your spiteful move would be very costly. I don't like the laws, but even my chihuahua could be shot by the property owner or renter.

To reiterate and to clarify, I was not talking about shooting a dog for entering my property uninvited. We get strays here all the time. I was talking about protecting my family from a violent and aggressive dog with a history of unprovoked attacks.

MUSLIMsoldierforlife is talking about killing an innocent, peaceful dog (in our case, a dog that is so gentle, he's certified as a therapy dog to help little children who have been victims of sexual and physical abuse) for no reason other than just plain spitefulness.

Incidentally, because he would have to come onto my property to do so, not only would he be criminally liable, under the law, I would have the right to shoot him to defend my family.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I know, but as I said strays can be killed for little or no reason, even the slightest hint of aggression, real or percieved.

Dayton area has seen several cases where police shot dogs for little or no aggression and the owner has to prove the cop acted inappropriately. No case so far has the police being held accountable for shooting a harmless dog.

If he entered your yard, he would be tresspaaing. If he entered your yard with a firearm, you could challenge him with a firearm. When police arrived after a shootout, he would be worse off for justice.
You would have to justify every shot fired, he would have to justify entering your property with a firearm and exchanging gunfire.

Inside city limits, you both would probably be arrested and if witnesses supported the story, you would probably be released.

Different subject: even in a justifiable shooting, every round fired from your weapon is your responsibility, ie you will pay for all damages every bullet does.
He would too, but that would be after his legal battle was over.
Moral of the story; Make sure you hit your target.

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Heck, even a large cat became dangerous enough a family called 911 to get rescued from their bathroom where the cat had them trapped. (I'm sorry, there would be a dead cat before I call for someone to rescue me from a cat in my own home.)

https://news.yahoo.com/attitudes-laws-against-pit-bulls-soften-052425454.html

That cat needs to be removed from that household because the adults do not know how to properly handle a cat. First, they are stupid enough to let the cat into close proximity to a 7 month old baby, and then the father kicks the cat, possibly causing some serious injury, after the cat (properly) defends himself by scratching when the baby pulls his tail.

And I'm curious as to the other, supposedly, "violent" tendencies this cat has allegedly exhibited, and what was done by the adults to properly deal with it by first taking the cat to the vet to rule out illness/injury, and then taking a behavioral/corrective approach. I hope kicking or other forms of physical punishment isn't the norm for how they deal with this cat, but I doubt it.

The cat should be removed and re-homed with someone who will take the time to care for him and focus on his needs. I also think the father needs some anger management, because there is that fine line between using physical "discipline" on an animal and doing the same on a person who angers you. Not to mention he sets a very bad example for his son if this is common behavior for him.

Upvote 0