Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God gave to the state the power to defend borders with force, so no those folks aren't violating God's law. There are justifiable homicides in scripture.

Vietnam had nothing to do with defending our border. But we killed people there.

...But I disagree with all your sentiments.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm not condoning what's going on with the riots and destruction, but at the same time, what good are the peaceful protests going to do? They just look and laugh and them as they assemble. I think it's time for another strategy for those that want change. And for that to happen, I think there first there needs to be a main leader stand up that has

Maybe that leader can be Jesus Christ himself or the word of God which says the "Fear of the lord is the beginning of wisdom" Prov 9:10 and if we'll just recapture that truth when Jesus has said, "Do unto others as you would have them do to you" Matt 7:12 and "Insomuch as you've done it to one of the least of these my brethren you've done it to me" Matt 25:40 (In other words if you're hurting innocent people, walking out of LOVE destroying their businesses and even beating them up) because of the fear of the Lord and you KNOW you're going to have to give account for every wrong doing Rev 20:12 it might just cause many to show restraint.

And when Jesus told us to "Keep the commandment of LOVE" Mark 12:31 and yes even, "Pray for our enemies" Lk 6:28 and also knowing, "If you don't forgive those who have done you wrong neither will your heavenly Father forgive you" Matt 6:14

Having a fear and reverence of God might just cause all to show restraint?

I like what Isaiah 33:6 says about wisdom and knowledge.....wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of the times. Yeah stability might be a good thing to have. The question is....DO WE REALLY WANT IT????

I'd like to see Barack Obama take a role like Martin Luther King Jr. did. But Jr. was a saved man and I don't think Barack is regenerated (yet). Nor do I think he would be willing to take a position or role lower than what he's already accomplished being President.

OK let me put it this way. If you have someone like an Obama or someone else just walking out there dishing out mere human platitudes without the power of the word of God which has the power to transform one's soul it's all just more noise in the mix. If humanity wants the real roots of these problems dealt with God is ready to accommodate. If not...well...we're on our own.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are very right and indeed commendable about how a person should behave. But this violent greedy darkness that says racism gives licence to lawlessness is something shaken out of the depths of the American soul by the current plague and economic crisis.
I think it goes way further back than just the Covid crisis. Way, way back. Things like this start at home, in families, in communities, in the way parents raise their kids (or don't raise their kids). The concept that it's somehow acceptable to behave this way, didn't fall into their minds a month ago. Someone taught them that it's justifiable to break and burn and burglarize and assault. Anyone want to venture a guess on who it was? Nobody wants to touch that topic.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it goes way further back than just the Covid crisis. Way, way back. Things like this start at home, in families, in communities, in the way parents raise their kids (or don't raise their kids). The concept that it's somehow acceptable to behave this way, didn't fall into their minds a month ago. Someone taught them that it's justifiable to break and burn and burglarize and assault. Anyone want to venture a guess on who it was? Nobody wants to touch that topic.

It could have been worse. It could have been mass shootings of white people as an attempt at genocide.

...Genocide has historically failed. But I do hope it doesn't evolve into that after the next few unarmed black deaths.

I hope for real policy change in how police work is done.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Vietnam had nothing to do with defending our border. But we killed people there.

...But I disagree with all your sentiments.
I have nothing nice to say about our mercenary military and its endless wars.

That said, looting is theft and it is covetous. It is sin and wicked and Christians should call it such.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a difference in killing and homicide. I was always taught that it should read, Thou shall not murder.

That's true. Self-defence is an inalienable right afterall.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
There is a difference in killing and homicide. I was always taught that it should read, Thou shall not murder.
I know God's law had pretty different punishments for a kill by accident and murder. He was eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. Jesus said you resist not evil.

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Agreed, because of the mistranslation people tend to see the wrong thing

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Agreed, because of the mistranslation people tend to see the wrong thing

Would it have been a sin if someone had shot Derek Chauvin, after Floyd went limp?

• Prayers
Upvote 0

charsan

Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Would it have been a sin if someone had shot Derek Chauvin, after Floyd went limp?

Should have been shot before that, someone should have shot Chauvin earlier.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Things like this start at home, in families, in communities, in the way parents raise their kids (or don't raise their kids).

Respect and decorum were a big deal in our household. We were expected to treat each other kindly. They didn’t allow flippancy, name calling, or fighting. Honorifics were the norm and overfamiliarity with adults was a no-go. We were children and expected to behave that way.

If we encountered problems we had to bring it to them. We weren’t permitted to resolve anything with adults. I suspect their Southern roots played a part in our makeup and respect for authority.

There was also a no-call rule. If we found ourselves in police custody we were told not to call. It was their consensus we’d avoid the predicament through correct behavior and wise alliances. We never tested it. :p

~Bella

Upvote 0

charsan

Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Respect and decorum were a big deal in our household. We were expected to treat each other kindly. They didn’t allow flippancy, name calling, or fighting. Honorifics were the norm and overfamiliarity with adults was a no-go. We were children and expected to behave that way.

Mine too, I wish more parents would teach the kids respect now of days

Upvote 0

Credos4Christ

7 days without prayer makes 1 weak.
Feb 14, 2020
East-Coast
✟23,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As far as I can tell, the ones causing the violent aspects of these riots are decidedly not involved in the Black Lives Matter movement (for the most part): it seems like those most invested in causing rioting and looting are white antagonists co opting this public unrest in order to vent their COVID-19 anxieties. Many of them are now jobless, have lost relatives, etc. - that sense of having nothing to lose would logically give rise to irrational, and perhaps even violent, behavior.

In short, I don't see the rioting as being part of, or conducive to, the actual advocacy of justice. Instead, it seems like these looters are motivated by angst resulting from the pandemic.

That being said, I do think the evils of racism are genuine and we should be aiming to address them as a nation. What Chauvin did to that man was absolutely repulsive and unacceptable. I sincerely pray and hope he gets some wits about him and turns to the light of God, because I have a feeling he'll need it.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
True, but what if it is the "many" who are corrupt and the "few" who are not?

Its often said that it is only a small percentage of police who abuse their power, but I don't buy into all that, myself. The situation has improved over the past few decades but it seems to me that you have had entire police forces that were basically corrupted, with them all looking out for each other. As a black person myself, I have honestly had very few positive interactions with police. Most of the time they have been extremely rude and belligerent to me, almost as if they want to incite me into a confrontation.

How many unique police officers have you met in your lifetime till now? 100? 200? How many police officers are there in your state alone? Are you implying that majority who join the force are abusive.

Your experiences are unfortunate. But I doubt the "many" are bad and the "few" are good. Statistics alone makes it an impossibility.

When the few bad abuses made the news people riot. But no one made a riot or even a protest when the good gave their lives in the line of duty. We remember the name of the police victims. How many names of fallen police officers do you Americans remember? Don't google.

Are they not human? Is it because it is part of their duty that losing their lives hold no meaning?

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Are you implying that majority who join the force are abusive.
Yes, that is exactly what I am implying. I am implying that screening of police officers is poor and that people who are prone to abuse power are likely to end up in the police force. I am also implying that police have had a culture that encourages bad conduct for many years, and that when something bad happens officers protect each other or look the other way.

Buddy, it’s not like that is only my experience. It is widely known that black Americans tend to have a negative view of the police. It’s not just a few rotten apples when most black people are having the same experiences. Where there is smoke there is fire pal.

If you have police officers who are bold enough to kill a man while being filmed, what do you think happens when there are no cameras? What type of culture produces that? And it’s not like it was just the one officer. The other officers stood there and did nothing. Years ago when they took Abner Louima into the NYC precinct and raped him with a night stick, the other officers in that same precinct looked the other way. This has been the culture.

Your experiences are unfortunate. But I doubt the "many" are bad and the "few" are good. Statistics alone makes it an impossibility.
No, statistics do not make it an impossibility.

Are they not human? Is it because it is part of their duty that losing their lives hold no meaning?
Nobody said they are not human or that their lives hold no meaning.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
People loot because they hate God and his law. They ignore thou shall not steal and thou shall not covet.
When you sin does it mean that you hate God, or does that only apply when other people sin?

• Useful
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
When you sin does it mean that you hate God, or does that only apply when other people sin?
All sin indicates a depraved heart. That said, the notion that looting is somehow okay because everyone sins is outrageous and indicative of belief in the carnal christian heresy.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it seems like those most invested in causing rioting and looting are white antagonists co opting this public unrest in order to vent their COVID-19 anxieties. Many of them are now jobless, have lost relatives, etc. - that sense of having nothing to lose would logically give rise to irrational, and perhaps even violent, behavior.

Look at all these white looters:

Upvote 0