Why is there a secular music part to a Christian site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
xtxArchxAngelxtx said:
They never say they are christians either... not publically. Sonny does give his testemony a couple times but never used the word "christian." If they have, I am unaware of it.
Actually, I'm pretty sure they have...... I'll have to do some looking.

Upvote 0

absolutely_lost_86

For Those About To Rock....We Salute You
Jan 26, 2004
Australia
✟17,248.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Bible References in P.O.D. songs
Matthew 22:14 For many are called, but few [are] chosen.
Boom "Many were called, but the chosen are few"

Matthew 15:14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
Youth of the Nation "It’s the blind leading the blind"

Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Ridiculous "Beware of the false prophets, because they got my people bugg'n"

Revelation 5:5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah....
The Messenjah "We pursue the conquering lion of the Tribe of Judah"

Isaiah 40:3 A voice of one calling: "In the desert prepare the way for the LORD ; make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God.
The Messenjah "Make straight through the path of the one voice calling"

Matthew 13:16 But blessed [are] your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.
Greetings "So if you have eyes to see, and if you have ears to hear"

Psalm 3:5 I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.
Lie Down "I lie down, I sleep, when I wake, sustain me"

Luke 23:34a Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
Set Your Eyes to Zion "Forgive them Lord, for they not know that what they do, people blame it on you"

This is from www.warriorklan.com a POD website. it also has testimonies from people who have been saved because of POD and POD also answer questions for here are two examples:

9. hey I am a huge fan of your music!!!I think that your last album is
probably my favorite i have a question about the song Wildfire. What do you
mean when you say the rightous will burn again??? I was just curious about what
that meant. If u could e-mail me or wutever that would be cool THANKS!!!
-mellissa dollar

Sonny: That's getting deep. It's just living up to what the Spirit of God is
giving you. Living up to Him.

10. Hi P.O.D.! I realy want to thank you for given me hope and selfconfidents,
sinds you are in my life, everything goes better and I started more believe in
God. I was not rased in a Christian family and there are few people here, in my
place who belive in God, so my quistion is: How do you know for sure that there
is a God? Love:
-Michelle (14) The Netherlands.

Traa: I know because I know.
Jason: I know because of what I've seen and what I've experienced.

now try and tell me they arent christians!!

Upvote 0

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
absolutely_lost_86 said:
now try and tell me they arent christians!!
For my part, I have no doubt that they themselves are Believers. I was just pouinting out their desire to not be lumped in with the "Christian music" scene (based on Sonny's comments at the Dove Awards when they won one for Southtown, and comments following that).

heck, if I were in a band I'd be right there with them in that regard.

Upvote 0

Aburame

Lazer Duck!
Mar 9, 2004
British Colubia
✟470.00
Faith
Christian
Its here because

1. this is set apart for christians and non christians
2. alot of christians enjoy secular music. it tells about life, and feelings. somthing that us as humans all feel
3. music should be enjoyed by all, chrisian music, and secular music. and you wont be able to listen to those great solo's listening to christian music.

I love to lift up the lord in worship, but somtimes i just love to blare some KoRn.

Upvote 0

the_sam_man87

Dec 11, 2003
why should I tell you
✟7,669.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It should not be here because

1. If you want to talk about nonchristian music, go to anothier site
2. I am a christian and I dont think that you should be listening to people say the F word every onther word, I know that is what messed me up
3. christian music is better then secular you want to here good solos then not listen to KoRn

Upvote 0

Eusebios

Create in me a clean heart O God!
Feb 17, 2004
Canton, OH.
Visit site
✟12,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
PreacherFergy said:
Is this for non-believers or something?

The Bible teaches Christians shouldn't listen to secular music which doesn't bring glory to God.

Now, an unbeliever, I understand them listening to secular music, but a Christian has no excuse to be listening to the music. It promotes an apathetic and flippant lifestyle toward Christian things.

Can we discuss this? :scratch:
Perhaps because most of what passes for "Christian" music is mindless and benign drivel? Just my 2 cents worth.
His ubworthy servant,
Eusebios.
:bow:

Upvote 0

Eusebios

Feb 17, 2004
Canton, OH.
Visit site
✟12,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TheThinman said:
Any Christian in their right mind is not going to rock out to Marylin Manson (gimmick or not) cause its full of blasphemy.
Interstingly enough Brian WARNER (AKA MARILYN MANSON0 from my hometown of Canton, Oh. is a product of a "Christian" high school. On the other hand so are some of my best friends. While Warner is certainly confused and deluded, I'm convinced that a good deal of this arises from the sub-par teaching of the school he attended and the mish-mash of confusing signals given by a church and society so inextricably meshed as to become almost indistinguishable and.... :mad:
I'm seeing red, time to stop reading these postings.

Upvote 0

nadroj1985

A bittersweet truth: sum, ergo cogito
Dec 10, 2003
Lexington, KY
✟15,543.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
the_sam_man87 said:
....you can fool around some times as loung a you not diss god and that is all that nonchristian music does

Sorry, man. This just ain't true. There is plenty of wonderful "non-Christian" music out there that is not "dissing" God at all. Why don't you go listen to some of it before you generalize the whole lot based on radical ones like Marilyn Manson (or whoever you based that ludicrous statement on).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jedi Penguins

Feb 18, 2004
Florida
✟7,727.00
Faith
Christian
the_sam_man87 said:
It should not be here because

1. If you want to talk about nonchristian music, go to anothier site
2. I am a christian and I dont think that you should be listening to people say the F word every onther word, I know that is what messed me up
3. christian music is better then secular you want to here good solos then not listen to KoRn

1. Why should people have to go to another site, just because the minority does not like the fact that "secular" music is discussed?
2. Well fine don't listen to it. No one here is making you. On the same note, you can't say nobody can listen to it because you don't like to.
3. If you are going to stereotype than so am I. "Secular" music as a whole is better than Christian music.
Number three; see that, it's my opinion just like what you said is yours. Stop trying to shove your opinions on other people.

Upvote 0

TherapyDogLove

Christian Dog Lover
Feb 23, 2004
Maryland
✟15,181.00
Faith
Christian
Mistyfogg said:
Well, I guess I have an apathetic and flippent lifestyle. This is a first for someone telling me that I cannot listen to secular music. Lighten up. I would like to think that all children of God would not be uptight and judgemental but I guess I can't have it my way:)

Yes, I agree! I don't like judgemental fundamentalist snoots! I love other music besides Christian too!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brettnolan

Dec 16, 2003
KC, MO
✟8,484.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

I hope you stick around long enough for me to find the time to do this...

for now this is all I have time for.

nadro and wasp, surely you can think of some.

How about U2 (local favorite)? I can't remember off hand anything by them that blatantly speaks of having sex. Not that that's wrong in the proper context anyway, but for the sake of proving someone wrong...

Upvote 0

nadroj1985

A bittersweet truth: sum, ergo cogito
Dec 10, 2003
Lexington, KY
✟15,543.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
brettnolan said:
I hope you stick around long enough for me to find the time to do this...

for now this is all I have time for.

nadro and wasp, surely you can think of some.

How about U2 (local favorite)? I can't remember off hand anything by them that blatantly speaks of having sex. Not that that's wrong in the proper context anyway, but for the sake of proving someone wrong...

I can think of plenty of examples, but the point is irrelevant anyway. You can talk about sex, drugs, etc. without glorifying them anyway. As blackwasp said above, the Bible does this. Since the point he's making is both wrong and irrelevant, I don't feel like arguing it ;)

Upvote 0

Eusebios

Feb 17, 2004
Canton, OH.
Visit site
✟12,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the_sam_man87 said:
hey "Eusebios" are you for nonchristian music or not? music is for the glory of god you can fool around some times as loung a you not diss god and that is all that nonchristian music does, what is the point of christain rock it you can listen to nonchristian music?
Am I "for non-christian music"? If by that do you mean do I listen to music not on a "Christian" label or without overt "Christian content, then yes I do. I search for God's presence and truth everywhere.
Can you tell me exacely what makes music "Christian"?Is it "Jesus" factor? Or is it the mindset and worldview of the artist? I guess I've been around long enough to understand that the gifts and talents of musicians and artists is God given. Unfortunately there are those with a definite anti-Christian perspective , and for the most part I choose to ignore such artists.
Then there are artists who while not overtly Christian seem to be genuinely seeking truth and as such are worthy of my consideration, and certainly of my prayers. Then there are artists who are more overtly Christian and quality (IMHO). Artists like King's X , Three Doors Down, Creed and Ben Harper come to mind here. Then there are artists who clearly identify themselves as Christians who do music that is honest and refreshing, music that deals with the realities of living the Christian life, reflecting the tension of being at once human and at the same time being saved via the process of theosis. Artists like The Lost Dogs, Phil Keaggy and Burlap to Cashmere (amongst many others) come to mind here.
Then there is the drivel with all the cheesy 'chritianese" that comprises the large segment I call the "Christian ghetto". Not unlike the deidedly anti-Christian category mentioned earlier, I pay little to no attention to this latter category because I find it to be a waste of my time and lacks depth and substance.
Lastly, there is the music of the Church, that which draws us to heaven and is the pinnacle of musical expression, glorifying God and His work in His Saints. I try to listen to this as much as anything else, and in the Orthodox Church it is a huge part of worship, used to teach, inspire and edify.(for examples check out The Incarnation Broadcast Network )
As an example of what I was speaking about earlier(searching for the good in all art and music) as I was driving home I was listening to my Best of Stevie Ray Vaughn cd. For those who don't know Stevie was an outstanding blues-rock guitarist who for many years fought the demons of alcohol and substance abuse. His life was just beginning to turn around when he died in a helicopter crash after a show with Eric Clapton and Robert Cray at Alpine Valley Wisconsin.The song that really stuck out was "I Won't Give Up On Love" Stevie sings with a distinct yearning, "I aint gonna give up on love, and love ain't gonna give up on me" What is the embodiment of love, or better who? The Apostle John reminds us after all that God is Love. It is my sincere prayer that Stevie did not in fact give up on love, Love certainly would never give up on him, or any of us.
I've rambled on long enough. Look for God, seek him everywhere for He is the rewarder of all those who earnestly and diligently seek Him.
His unworthy servant,
Eusebios.
:bow:

Upvote 0

Eusebios

Feb 17, 2004
Canton, OH.
Visit site
✟12,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the_sam_man87 said:
ok name one that has never dissed god or talked about having sex, killing and raping, if there is one i would like to know
King's X, Bob Marley and his progeny, Eric Gales, Ben Harper, I could go on and on.
:sigh:
Eusebios.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.