Why is there a secular music part to a Christian site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neenie

Veteran
Dec 8, 2003
✟2,137.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think this thread has been around long enough, and should be closed!

Enough has been said, there has been nearly 400 replies. That Preacherfergy fellow has had his say, that has not been so well received unless your an "extremist". And quite frankly i like most here agree there is nothing wrong with listening to secular Music that isn't blasphemous towards God. God gives people conscience between right and wrong as long as the music dosen't effect your walk with God and you are mature, there is nothing wrong with it. Period!

Reactions: * kittie *
Upvote 0
I agree. None of the Christians i know, listen to only Christian music.
They do listen to some, but they also like secular too.
And yet they're some of the best Christians ive ever seen. Very loyal and they follow Jesus teachings very well.
I don't think that doing non-christian things, while being a Christian, has anything to do with the music they listen to, if it doesn't encourage it.

Reactions: Neenie
Upvote 0

Marissa

Feb 15, 2004
✟16,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the_sam_man87 said:
do you think god likes it......i think not that is why it should not be here

How about a little story?

About mid way through last year I bought a secular CD, by a secular artist. I didn't know they were christian, and I didn't know there was a christian song on there. There was, just one. That song spoke to me. It bought God back to the front of my mind. Slowly, I began to seek God again.

Do I think God likes it? I think he liked that secular Cd.

Some secular music does need to be avoided. I've recently removed some CDs from my collection that promote the lesbianism, and I plan on removing a few more. Some doesn't all. Some is just find and dandy.

Upvote 0

StandForTruth

The battle rages..
Dec 29, 2003
✟361.00
Faith
Catholic
muzikdude said:
If you doubt me then challenge me on it. Tell me what kind of music you like and I'll give you at least 10 Christian bands to check out. I won't guarentee that you'll like them all, but you may find one that you do like.

I'll bite.

What's some Christian hyperspeed black metal in the vein of Marduk or Anaal Nathrakh?

Upvote 0

Mϋzikdϋde

Simply Fabulous
Sep 19, 2002
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟20,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
StandForTruth said:
I'll bite.

What's some Christian hyperspeed black metal in the vein of Marduk or Anaal Nathrakh?
Lol, Ok, Christians don't tend to do balck metal since hyperspeed is primarily anti-Christian and sometimes satanic. Why do you think they call it "black" anyway?
I find it interesting that as a Catholic you can get into this stuff.
I used to listen to it when I was a practicing Pagan.
I crossed over into the realm of Satanism for awhile and I was listening to some pretty hardcore bootleg from England. Blacker than black.
Those days are pretty much a fog though since I was pretty strung out.

I wish you luck with your faith and this music. I hope you can find a way for them to enhance one another.;) ;)

I'll see what I can find that's close.

Brb

Upvote 0

Mϋzikdϋde

Simply Fabulous
Sep 19, 2002
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟20,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Slechtvalk
Here's another one

http://www.slechtvalk.com/

BTW, you win. There aren't 10 Christian bands out there that are willing to do authentic satanic music. Go figure.

Can you find 10 Christians for me that worship Satan? Because that's basically what you asked me to do. Good one. ^_^

Upvote 0

Mϋzikdϋde

Simply Fabulous
Sep 19, 2002
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟20,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
bluephi115 said:
YES Christian bands do death metal/black metal. That is a style of music not a belief in lyrics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to our site..we just reviewed a goth death metal band called Immortal.

geez there are so many know it alls in this forum it is unreal.
I know who Immortal is. If you just recieved them your 2 years behind the curve. I don't consider them hyperspeed black metal. Besides, I told him I would list 10. I only listed 2. I don't remember saying that there were no groups at all. I only said that Christians don't tend to do black metal.
And please excuse me if I offended you with my opinion of music. I never claimed to be a know it all but I appreciate the humility you have offered. Maybe I should think twice before messing with the experts.

Did you even care or bother to read my other posts or did you just jump in to insult me out of context?

All the talk about satanic music is because death metal is the genreof choice by satanists. Haven't you ever hung out with any?
Do this: Google black metal. see how many Christian bands you come up with.
Actually, Google Christian Hyperspeed Black Metal.
Every site is anti Christian.
I won't say anymore in fear that I may look like I think I know it all.

This is exactly why I avoid the CO threads and most Christians in general. So much for fellowship. We can't even talk about music.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arwen Undomiel

love one another
Mar 4, 2004
✟17,013.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure we can! :)
Maybe it's my age showing, but isn't "Christian death metal" an oxymoron? Interesting post, muzikdude - I tend to agree with you on the Satanic influences.

Which is not to say I am anti-secular music. As a matter of fact, I found the ancient post regarding 'no such thing as secular' to be quite enlightening. All things were created by God after all.

My CD collection contains everything from the Clash to Interpol to Chris Tomlin, Delirious, REM, Coldplay, the Jayhawks, Third Day etc etc - I do not like to be limited in what I listen to because I love music - it has defined all the major and minor eras of my life thus far and will continue to do so. I strongly believe that we as Christians should be discerning when it comes to what the bands and/or singers stand for - and tread carefully around those with a strong anti-Christian message.

A very interesting thread I may say. Perhaps everyone can agree on that at least?

Upvote 0

Mϋzikdϋde

Simply Fabulous
Sep 19, 2002
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟20,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Arwen Undomiel said:
Sure we can! :)
Maybe it's my age showing, but isn't "Christian death metal" an oxymoron? Interesting post, muzikdude - I tend to agree with you on the Satanic influences.

Which is not to say I am anti-secular music. As a matter of fact, I found the ancient post regarding 'no such thing as secular' to be quite enlightening. All things were created by God after all.

My CD collection contains everything from the Clash to Interpol to Chris Tomlin, Delirious, REM, Coldplay, the Jayhawks, Third Day etc etc - I do not like to be limited in what I listen to because I love music - it has defined all the major and minor eras of my life thus far and will continue to do so. I strongly believe that we as Christians should be discerning when it comes to what the bands and/or singers stand for - and tread carefully around those with a strong anti-Christian message.

A very interesting thread I may say. Perhaps everyone can agree on that at least?
Thanks, I needed a calm voice of reason to bring me back to the light ;)
I guess I was already frustrated from a couple other threads and it carried into here. My apologies to all.

I am a musician (singer/guitarist) I went to college on vocal scholarship. I say that only to show how very passionate I am about music. All types.
I wasn't a Christian when I was in college, in fact, I was quite the opposite. I noticed that I really enjoyed doing spiritual music but didn't know why. Then I became a Christian and it all became clear that it was a calling and the Holy Spirit had been working on me even before I knew him.

Now I try to do what I can to show people that there are Christian alternatives to secular music. But I still listen to secular stuff.

I have yet to find an alternative to the Insane Clown Posse however. :p

Upvote 0

Jedi Penguins

Feb 18, 2004
Florida
✟7,727.00
Faith
Christian
muzikdude said:
Lol, Ok, Christians don't tend to do balck metal since hyperspeed is primarily anti-Christian and sometimes satanic. Why do you think they call it "black" anyway?
I find it interesting that as a Catholic you can get into this stuff.
I used to listen to it when I was a practicing Pagan.
I crossed over into the realm of Satanism for awhile and I was listening to some pretty hardcore bootleg from England. Blacker than black.
Those days are pretty much a fog though since I was pretty strung out.

I wish you luck with your faith and this music. I hope you can find a way for them to enhance one another.;) ;)

I'll see what I can find that's close.

Brb
I understand completely why you may not like "black" music, it has more to do with what happend to you while you were listening to the music, than the music itself.

Let my tell you a little story.

I was in the car with my mother when the song Hey Nicky came on. I for one happend to like this song, so I turned up the volume and started to sing along.

My mom quickly turned the station while telling me that the song was evil, because it was what she listened to in high school while doing drugs, or drinking or something along those lines.

Does it make the song truely evil because she got drunk while listening to it?

The music only has affect on you if you let it. Music can be used for whatever purpose you see fit, if you truely think a song is evil, than there is nothing I can say that will change your mind.

Upvote 0

Mϋzikdϋde

Simply Fabulous
Sep 19, 2002
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟20,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jedi Penguins said:
I understand completely why you may not like "black" music, it has more to do with what happend to you while you were listening to the music, than the music itself.

Let my tell you a little story.

I was in the car with my mother when the song Hey Nicky came on. I for one happend to like this song, so I turned up the volume and started to sing along.

My mom quickly turned the station while telling me that the song was evil, because it was what she listened to in high school while doing drugs, or drinking or something along those lines.

Does it make the song truely evil because she got drunk while listening to it?

The music only has affect on you if you let it. Music can be used for whatever purpose you see fit, if you truely think a song is evil, than there is nothing I can say that will change your mind.
You misunderstood.
My experience with black metal does have to do with my experiences, but please read my posts more carefully.
The music I'm referring to is the "satisfying our thirst for Christian blood" lyrics. Not all black music in general.
I DO NOT believe that black metal is satanic, I do believe (and I'm speaking from experience) that most satanic music is black metal. (read that twice)
I never even mentioned that I thought anything was evil.
I would find it difficult to worship God with anything Sadogoat, Lucifugum, or Massemord does, so I think you're wrong about using music for whatever purpose you see fit.

I get your point though and the thing is I mostly agree with you.

Metal heads get so defensive at the mere mention of satan because so many people condemn metal.

Let it be known, I listen to metal and I used to worship Satan. I've listened to metal that was specifically written for satanic worship, that's all I'm saying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mϋzikdϋde

Simply Fabulous
Sep 19, 2002
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟20,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
bluephi115 said:
understand what you are saying..by the way..immortal has a new cd out...dont believe me..look at my site. it is now realeased on an amercian label and redone with some new stuff. i didnt say it was a new band.
Oh, I thought you were saying they were new, I had no idea they were on an American label.
They couldn't make enough in Norway? Actually, I think they were on a French label or something weren't they? I don't know too much about them, they were always a little too '80's for me.

Upvote 0

Mϋzikdϋde

Simply Fabulous
Sep 19, 2002
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟20,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jedi Penguins said:
From what you posted that is what it sounded like you meant. I am sorry I misunderstood you.
No need to apologize, I wasn't very clear.
No harm No foul :hug:

Another problem I run into is that I'm 40 years old so teens assume I "don't get it"

Upvote 0
B

bluephi115

80's you mean the sound i take it.
they are very goth death metal though. I understand the 80's sound you are referring to though. the "fan" name is always immortal..the band is actually immortal souls. sounds like we are talking about the same band though. Did you read the review>?
Anyway, they are from Finland and just signed with Facedown Records. They are still with the Eurpoean label, Fear Dark. Facedown deals with a lot of extreme core bands in the xtian scene. they are from finland.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.