Why is there a secular music part to a Christian site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtxArchxAngelxtx

Peace Keeper
Aug 18, 2003
Dayton Ohio
Visit site
✟16,903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
the_sam_man87 said:
ok then go to a secular site to talk about secular music not here in the christian site
I shouldn't have to, especially when I like tlaking about secualr music with my friends. I will repeat as others also have, just don't visit the secular thread and you will have no worries. Why take the thread offensivly when as christians we should never take anything offensivly, but lovingly? hmmm...

Upvote 0

xtxArchxAngelxtx

Peace Keeper
Aug 18, 2003
Dayton Ohio
Visit site
✟16,903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
the_sam_man87 said:
if you want to talk about secular music then go to http://www.go-gaia.com that is not a "christian" site that has a secular "sub-forum"
Your closed and opinionated mind is blocking reasoning. It is our right to have a secualr forum, we like secular music, if you do not like it, make another christian site that doesn;t have a secualr music thread, or find another and stop ridiculing us.

Upvote 0

Blazin4Christ

Glory to God, and God alone.
Mar 16, 2004
U.S.A., East Coast,
✟912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
i'm woth Preacher Fergy.
think about it.it says in Titus 2:12. to walk in Godliness or in a WWJD way.
so can I ask you.Would Jesus put sum headphones on and start waving around?would he honestly listen to any of this Secular trash or this "Christian" rock?if you want to deny this you have proven how hard-headed you are to the truth

Upvote 0

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
Blazin4Christ said:
so can I ask you.Would Jesus put sum headphones on and start waving around?would he honestly listen to any of this Secular trash or this "Christian" rock?
That's a whole other argument, but the whole "rock is inherently evil" is pure unmitigated tradition with absolutely no grounding in scripture or fact.

Christianity is not Culture and never was.

And, point of fact, Jesus did a lot of things the "good holy people" thought he shouldn't. I've been to rock shows where I can say without a doubt that Jesus was in attendance.

if you want to deny this you have proven how hard-headed you are to the truth
Ah..... why lean on something as worldly as "logic" when you can just chuck insults?

Upvote 0

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
the_sam_man87 said:
do you think god likes it
I do in fact.

i think not that is why it should not be here
I'd gathered, you've just offered no suitable proof that runs any deeper than "it's all bad" to prove your point.

And on a related note, you'll pardon me if I don't just automatically take the pronouncements of someone who, again, has offered no tangible proof for his point and who is not in any way involved in the administration of this site as gospel. The Admins saw fit to CREATE this forum here, so if you don't think it should be here I imagine you might want to take it up with them. I imagine they'll say about the same thing several of us have (which you've failed to respond to, preferring to just lay down the Word of Sam The Man and expecting us all to simply obey).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

DMBfanLongliveStrongBad!

i think even if God didn't like secular music, it would be a good forum to have on a christian site. But i don't think that God is against secular music. i think God can use anything.... sure, there is a lot of secular music that does more negative, than positive, but that doesn't mean that it's all worthless. i don't even like that people have to make these "christian" and "secular" categories. IMO, it forces alot of bands, like evanescence or switchfoot (who just started getting air time on MTV), POD, etc. to choose a side. They have to choose between marketing mainstream, with a possibility of success, and selling their stuff only in christian stores, and they most likely will never even be heard by most of the world.

I was at a christian camp, and the speaker was talking about the passage when jesus took his disciples to cessarea philipi and they were looking at the altar where beastly sexual acts were happening in the name of a god named Pan, and Jesus looked at the rock and said, "on this rock, I will build my church, and the gates of hell will not overcome it" ....
and then the guy who was speaking played part of a Rage Against the Machine song, the lyrics went like this, "it has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime. what better place than here? what better time than now?? ALL HELL CAN'T STOP US NOW!!! ALL HELL CAN'T STOP US NOW!!! ALL HELL CAN'T STOP US NOW!!! ALL HELL CAN'T STOP US NOW!!!"
by the end of the song, a big group of christian kids were singing a Rage song really loud. do you think God had a problem with that? We were excited because hell coudn't stop us, we were going to build up God's church. it was cool for me to see that God can use something like Zach de la Rocha's lyrics to get christian kids pumped up. were we taking it out of context? sure. but i don't think God cared about the original song's context when we were singing it, because he knows our hearts.

Upvote 0

prince didymus

Prince of Destiny
Jul 19, 2003
Nassau, Bahamas
Visit site
✟8,211.00
Faith
Anglican
the_sam_man87 said:
if you want to talk about secular music then go to http://www.go-gaia.com that is not a "christian" site that has a secular "sub-forum"
Nonsense.

I'm already in the SECULAR sub-forum for music here, I have NO reason to go to that site. Have you even seen yet that this is a sub-forum for SECULAR music? I don't even need an answer for that so forget it.

Blazin4Christ said:
i'm woth Preacher Fergy.
so can I ask you.Would Jesus put sum headphones on and start waving around?would he honestly listen to any of this Secular trash or this "Christian" rock?if you want to deny this you have proven how hard-headed you are to the truth
Oh boy not another WWJD argument. The only 'truth' I see here is you trying to push your opinion onto others with such a cheap ploy as WWJD. I also think your 'Secular trash' and '"Christian" rock' comment is one of the greatest I've seen thus far. I would feel disgusted if anyone called my music and all my hard work 'trash' and as a matter of fact I am. Such a sickening display of disregard for someone's work.

EliasEmmanuel said:
The Admins saw fit to CREATE this forum here, so if you don't think it should be here I imagine you might want to take it up with them.
I know what you mean and it's highly doubtful they're going to bend to his will because he claims it to be inappropriate for the rest of us. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Marth

Hey look! It's Marth!
Dec 3, 2003
scotts valley California
Visit site
✟8,192.00
Faith
Christian
Blazin4Christ said:
i'm woth Preacher Fergy.
mainstream fundie words...what do you only listen to hymns? ANYWHO i have yet to see a reason why rock is bad besides stupid reasons like "would jesus listen to it?" also did you just say that jesus WOULDNt listen to christian rock? i dont like christian rock is bores my socks off but thats not the point if its christian why wouldnt he like it?

/me goes back to listening to incubus and the pillows

Upvote 0

DJ B.K.

But I'm Le Tired...
Jun 24, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio
Visit site
✟26,051.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
DMBfanLongliveStrongBad! said:
I was at a christian camp, and the speaker was talking about the passage when jesus took his disciples to cessarea philipi and they were looking at the altar where beastly sexual acts were happening in the name of a god named Pan, and Jesus looked at the rock and said, "on this rock, I will build my church, and the gates of hell will not overcome it" ....
and then the guy who was speaking played part of a Rage Against the Machine song, the lyrics went like this, "it has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime. what better place than here? what better time than now?? ALL HELL CAN'T STOP US NOW!!! ALL HELL CAN'T STOP US NOW!!! ALL HELL CAN'T STOP US NOW!!! ALL HELL CAN'T STOP US NOW!!!"
by the end of the song, a big group of christian kids were singing a Rage song really loud. do you think God had a problem with that? We were excited because hell coudn't stop us, we were going to build up God's church. it was cool for me to see that God can use something like Zach de la Rocha's lyrics to get christian kids pumped up. were we taking it out of context? sure. but i don't think God cared about the original song's context when we were singing it, because he knows our hearts.
That's nuts!

Upvote 0

Jedi Penguins

Feb 18, 2004
Florida
✟7,727.00
Faith
Christian
Blazin4Christ said:
i'm woth Preacher Fergy.

First of all that's not proof that's an opinion. I want solid hard evidence, not some wishy washy opinion, and not somebody’s theory on music.

Secondly, if you have to use WWJD to prove a point you loose. Goodbye!

My third point decided it didn't want to offend a Christian bubble person, so it would not post itself. Very tragic.

Forth, we are being hard headed? The general purpose of the phrase “hard headed” is to describe somebody that refuses to believe something is right, and won’t get out of there little bubble. NOT the other way around. So if your going to pick happy little phrases, pick one that makes since next time.

Fifth and final point, grammer is your friend. Treat it well, or it might learn to hate you.

They all lived happily ever after.
The end!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Larry

Fundamentalist Christian
Mar 27, 2003
Visit site
✟2,635.00
Faith
Christian
PreacherFergy said:
Is this for non-believers or something?

The Bible teaches Christians shouldn't listen to secular music which doesn't bring glory to God.

Now, an unbeliever, I understand them listening to secular music, but a Christian has no excuse to be listening to the music. It promotes an apathetic and flippant lifestyle toward Christian things.

Can we discuss this? :scratch:

Go live in a monastery if you honestly believe this. :p

Upvote 0
J

Joel_goober_head

Blazin4Christ said:
i'm woth Preacher Fergy.

oh please this is an opinion not the stance of God.

When you begin to question the ability for genres of music to hold some sort of spirituality you are getting yourself in trouble.

Someone has yet to give me a GOOD reason why rock in no way shape or form can glorify god.

As it is, I don't see the difference between the "secular" and "christian" markets.

They both pander to the common denominator hoping to make a quick buck.

Particularly, the top 40 of both.

They just go about it in different ways . . . .or not so different ways.

You wanna know the difference between the two "markets." You can have less talent and get signed as a "christian" band.

^_^

Upvote 0

Mϋzikdϋde

Simply Fabulous
Sep 19, 2002
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟20,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Joel_goober_head said:
You wanna know the difference between the two "markets." You can have less talent and get signed as a "christian" band.

^_^
You're wrong. Most Christian bands are independent. The problem with Christian music in the past was that it was under produced but that's changing.

If you doubt me then challenge me on it. Tell me what kind of music you like and I'll give you at least 10 Christian bands to check out. I won't guarentee that you'll like them all, but you may find one that you do like.

Check out Strange Celebrity, Anberlin, Kutless.
If you think Christian bands don't get signed check out POD, Switchfoot, etc...

http://www.johnskiba.com/music/music.htm I have over 2000 bands listed on my site from praise and worship to punk to rap to metal.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.