PanDeism is the Reason for my Seasons
May 8, 2006
San Mateo
✟27,341.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd just like to reiterate my belief that sex is a gift from God; that God experiences the existence of the Universe, including all of our experiences; and that when we experience the joy of sex, we share that experience with God -- thus we honor God's gift and fulfill our moral obligation in part by giving God the gift of our and our partner's enjoyment of sex!!

//// Pacific PanDeist

Upvote 0

.Sabre.

Aliens ate my custom title.
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2006
Chasing the sun's fading light
✟40,588.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Darn your good! As a conservative Christian, I couldn't have said it better.

Regarding "because God says so". Hey - that's a pretty good reason. Put yourself in a Christian's shoes for a moment. The creator and sustainer of the universe, the all knowing, all powerful, pure and good God says "don't have sex outside of marriage". You gonna argue with that? I certainly am not going to.

On a more serious note, it does go a little deeper than "God said so". As faster_JR sarcastically notes, we do look to see what God's plan is. KA stated we view sex as a gift not to be opened until the wedding night. The key is the gift part. We believe God created sex for a specific purpose: to foster the "oneness" that marriage demands. Marriage is hard enough as it is. We think God made sex as a uniquely marital bonding activity. But Satan has coopted the benefits that sex brings (physical, emotional, relational). The result is rampant sexual activity outside of marriage. The benefits still exist, but they are not being used as God planned. In a sense, and I think you will see that in the many posts out there, it dilutes the effectiveness of sex within marriage. It is no longer a uniquely marital thing and therefore brings nothing "special" to the marriage.
I agree. I believe in commitment and unity. And most certainly, that it is God's will that sex belongs within marriage. Sex is meant to be a spiritual experience, an expression of permanent love.

Upvote 0

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So there are kinds of sex that are right and kinds of sex that are wrong.
The kinds of sex that are wrong are wrong for reasons other than sex, i.e. deliberately trying to harm another person. There is nothing wrong with any kind of sex in itself.

Upvote 0

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I agree. I believe in commitment and unity. And most certainly, that it is God's will that sex belongs within marriage. Sex is meant to be a spiritual experience, an expression of permanent love.
This is all well and good if you want to lock yourself down this way. I object to the assertion that I will burn if I don't. In other words, your god is a tyrant.

Upvote 0

divalishous

Nov 29, 2006
✟7,879.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can not dishonor a woman by loving her body. You dishonor somebody when you don't respect them , and more specifically when you use someone for your own selfish gain or go against their will. Most often these topics of conversation shift to the presumption that the man wants to have sex and the woman gives in.
Women are just as much sexual creatures as men, and share the same needs and desires. So why is it always her responisbility to apply the breaks?
Sex with someone you love is definantly better, in that it is more fulfilling. Sex with love IS about respect, commitment, exploration, and intamacy. Most of all it is about your partner, not about you.

Upvote 0

repentandbelieve

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟2,742.00
Faith
Christian
The kinds of sex that are wrong are wrong for reasons other than sex, i.e. deliberately trying to harm another person. There is nothing wrong with any kind of sex in itself.
True, there is nothing wrong in and of itself about sex. But real life experience proves that eventually (and it's generally much sooner than it is later) the end result of sex outside of marraige is that people are harmed by it. .

In a nutshell, that is why fornication is bad. It is bad because people eventually end up being harmed by it.

Reactions: Rebekka
Upvote 0

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Wait a minute, what makes you think that unprotected sex is immoral?
I have said all along that deliberately trying to harm people is immoral. I include irresponsible behavior such as drunk driving and unprotected sex in this category.
Do you have some tiny little voice in your head telling you what should be moral and what should be immoral?
Sure, but it comes from my own mind rather than some dubious deity, or commandments in a book written by the ancient men who fabricated said deity.

It's based on simple analysis: when I get hurt, I understand that being hurt is bad, and that it shouldn't be done to someone else.

Upvote 0

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
True, there is nothing wrong in and of itself about sex. But real life experience proves that eventually (and it's generally much sooner than it is later) the end result of sex outside of marraige is that people are harmed by it. .
Real life experience? Have you heard the testimony of every single person in the world? Or just those who have been "harmed" and complain about it?

Perhaps those who have not been harmed keep silent because they are happily living their lives and have no need to whine.
In a nutshell, that is why fornication is bad. It is bad because people eventually end up being harmed by it.
Do you have stats to back up this claim? I would like to see the percentage of people performing fornication who are harmed by it. If you claim it is 100%, back it up.

I need a study from an unbiased site such as a university, please. No christian or anti-inappropriate content, anti-gay, anti-sex sites.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
How are you able to tell what should be moral and what should be immoral?
You know, it's hard to have a conversation when you rewrite your post to say something completely different after someone has responded to it. See my reply to your original unedited post.

Upvote 0

repentandbelieve

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟2,742.00
Faith
Christian
Real life experience? Have you heard the testimony of every single person in the world? Or just those who have been "harmed" and complain about it?

Perhaps those who have not been harmed keep silent because they are happily living their lives and have no need to whine.

Do you have stats to back up this claim? I would like to see the percentage of people performing fornication who are harmed by it. If you claim it is 100%, back it up.

I need a study from an unbiased site such as a university, please. No christian or anti-inappropriate content, anti-gay, anti-sex sites.
Why do you need a study???? Real life experience is a the best teacher.

The truth is that fornication eventually leads to people either lying about, or concealing, what they have done. They can't be honest about what they have done without harming someone else, and if they lie about it ,or conseal it, they harm themselves. There is no way to avoid it..

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The truth is that fornication eventually leads to people either lying about, or concealing, what they have done. They can't be honest about what they have done without harming someone else, and if they lie about it ,or conseal it, they harm themselves. There is no way to avoid it..

I've never lied about sex. Or concealed it. Ever. Where do you get this idea from?

Look, everything can be bad for you. Marriage can be bad. Religion can be bad. Food can be bad. And yes, sex can be bad. Doesn't make it immoral or a sin though. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Pheehp

Jul 10, 2006
Edinburgh
✟7,813.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
not everyone is as ashamed of sex as you are repentandbelieve im sorry you've had an awful experience due to sex (as your life experience implies) but you cannot go around proclaiming its a bad thing because of it. my sister was sick after being on ripsaw at alton towers, i loved it, because she had a bad experience didnt make it a bad thing. she actually then went on it again years later and had a great time.

you need to understand that once sex is no longer view as "shameful" as certain religions see it ppl cannot feel ashamed by it, unless there are other factors (lack of protection with bad results, alcohol, drugs, rape etc.) but all are external to the act itself.

sex isnt a shameful thing imo and thus there isnt a problem with fornication unless that person themselves feel there is a problem OR there is an external factor OR a psychological disorder gets involved (sex addiction is a problem but i think we should discount it in debates as its beyond control and not a rational problem)

Upvote 0

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why do you need a study???? Real life experience is a the best teacher.
AND DIFFERENT PEOPLE CAN HAVE DIFFERENT ONES.
It sounds like you are talking about adultery again and I have already said I am against that.

Please don't transfer your experiences to everyone else. I think part of your problem is hanging around christians who judge on every little thing.

Why would I need to lie about having sex when no one cares other than christians who want to regulate the lives of others?

If people would mind their own business and not try to make others feel guilty, maybe some weak-minded people wouldn't feel the need to lie and conceal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why is fornication bad?

This was kinda asked in annother thread but I think the thread was poorly worded and it went off-topic in a big hurry.

I have had pre-marital sex with my fiance (and with other girlfriends who I wasnt engaged to when we were dating). This was done consentingly and with precautions taken to avoid disease transmission and pregnancy.

So explain to me why fornication is wrong or bad if its done safely. And please keep this thread on topic, I really would like some answers.

Essentially... it isn't.

mutual consent between two adult partners with a genuine sense of care and responsibility towards each other?
Nothing wrong with that at all.

The whole B9blical "morality" regarding sexual ethics is far more to do with the value of a pregnant daughter to her father in the age before contraception than anything to do with intrinsic "morality". The idea that sex is somehow "wrong" in and of itself, is to take the whole old testament writings on the subject out of context and over imbue them with meanings not intended by the author.

OT injunctions aainst sex have far more in common with "thou shalt not steal", as they are a crime against property (getting someone elses property pregnant and ruining the resale value) than against the moral commandments, like "thou shalt not worship any God but me"

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Um... how do you figure?

Ask me anything, I wont lie...

Upvote 0

beautyofwisdom

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
✟7,703.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Consider the fact that it may be devaluing something that is suppose to be sacred in the confines of marriage. Consider the fact that what children see, they learn, and then consider the fact that this same type of behavior over several generations and the consequence of it.

http://www.myprayerrugs.com

Upvote 0

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Consider the fact that it may be devaluing something that is suppose to be sacred in the confines of marriage.
So what? The key word is supposed. According to a book written by ancient, primitive men.

If marriage is "sacred" to you, then by all means knock yourself out. Just don't expect everyone to do it because some ancient men, from an era before birth control, said we must.
Consider the fact that what children see, they learn, and then consider the fact that this same type of behavior over several generations and the consequence of it.
Instead, let's brainwash them with dogma from two millennia ago. Religion is the worst form of child abuse on earth.

Upvote 0

PacificPandeist

PanDeism is the Reason for my Seasons
May 8, 2006
San Mateo
✟27,341.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Libertarian
Consider the fact that it may be devaluing something that is suppose to be sacred in the confines of marriage. Consider the fact that what children see, they learn, and then consider the fact that this same type of behavior over several generations and the consequence of it.

http://www.myprayerrugs.com
Maybe sex without love (or at least caring) for the other person is devaluing to the experience (certainly sex by force or coercion is devaluing), but refusing to enjoy this wonderful gift of sex with a willing partner who you care for and are aroused by also devalues sex, and is an affront to God.... you see, God enjoys life through our experiences, and denying ourselves consensual mutually pleasurable experiences denies pleasure to God.... denying ourselves such experiences for a belief that God wills such self-denial stems from an illogical basis!!

//// Pacific PanDeist

Upvote 0