MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The problem is that people like you assign the reputation. You expect everyone to live their lives according to your standards.

Are you suggesting that people like yourself do not assign the reputation of "Bible Thumper,""Preacher boy,.""Prude, "and "Old Fashion." I do not expect nonchristians to live by Christian standards. However, don't expect nonchristians to be called christian, either. I would not marry a nonchristian----no matter how much I loved that person. That is a standard the Bible requests of me and one I feel has good reason.

Upvote 0

PacificPandeist

PanDeism is the Reason for my Seasons
May 8, 2006
San Mateo
✟27,341.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why do you call it cheating when a fiance has consentual sex with person other than the one they are engaged to ?
If your fiance went out on a romantic date with another person, had a wonderful time, and confessed their love to that other person, would you then be ok with that so long as no sex was involved?

//// Pacific PanDeist

Upvote 0

gengwall

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
MN
✟14,586.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Culturaly, America is a CHRISTIAN country. The Declaration of Independence was a very Christian sounding Document. The Emancipation Proclamation is a very Christian sounding document. Christmas for the most part is celibrated as a Christian holiday, and the vast majority of our Educational institutions began as Christian centers of education. I do not see how a culture without religious concerns could exist.
There are plenty of health, social, and emotional areas that are unrelated to religion that could have bearing on the discussion. That is all I mean.

Upvote 0

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Are you suggesting that people like yourself do not assign the reputation of "Bible Thumper,""Preacher boy,.""Prude, "and "Old Fashion."
Are such considered to be a "bad person" the way those who are sexually active are labelled? Do any of the above have the degree of negative connotation of the s-word given to sexually active women?

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In and of itself there is nothing wrong with fornication.
I hold this as a biblical view as well.

If this is so, then it should have no affect on your health in anyway, shape, or form----if done naturally. I do not see this as being the case at all. I would also say that children without a father or a mother are at a disadvantage. Yet, such behavior creates just such an environment.

Upvote 0

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Without cars and airplanes, no one would die in crashes.
Untrue. Chariots and wagons have been known to do so, as well. Also, people have been injured while both were afoot. Not so with STDs. You have to engage in risky behavior (sex outside of marriage for either partner, IV drugs, etc).

That was also only part of the reasoning given, and I'm sure there's some we haven't come across yet.

Rachel

Upvote 0

gengwall

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
MN
✟14,586.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In and of itself there is nothing wrong with fornication.
I hold this as a biblical view as well.
Really - How can you read all the condemnations of fornication in the bible and still hold that "fornication is alright" is a bilical view?

Or are you aserting, as TheGMan is in the other thread, that all premarital sex is not fornication? I really can't see an argument that supports a claim that the bible doesn't explicitely condemn fornication.

Upvote 0

repentandbelieve

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟2,742.00
Faith
Christian
Consensual is ambigious in this case. It normally means you have the consent of the person you are having sex with. If you mean that the partner not having sex has consented, then of course it is not cheating and there is nothing wrong with it.
Let me re- phrase the question.

Why do you call it cheating when a fiance has sex with another person than the one they are engaged to ?

Upvote 0

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Untrue. Chariots and wagons have been known to do so, as well. Also, people have been injured while both were afoot. Not so with STDs. You have to engage in risky behavior (sex outside of marriage for either partner, IV drugs, etc).
There are thousands of different risky behaviors. Why is sex singled out as the one that is "evil" and a "sin"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PacificPandeist

PanDeism is the Reason for my Seasons
May 8, 2006
San Mateo
✟27,341.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are thousands of different risky behaviors. Why is sex singled out as the one that is "evil" and a "sin"?
Some STDs can be picked up rather innocently, and then sexually transmitted even within the confines of a marriage.... of course, any couple in a committed monogamous relationship is as safe as a married couple, regardless of whether there's been a wedding....

//// Pacific PanDeist

Upvote 0

bammertheblue

Veteran
Feb 10, 2006
Washington, DC
✟10,377.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
GOD is not trying to solve anything . GOD knows that a couple is a special thing and that there are psychological and physical bonds that run deeper then we want to imagine. Trust is a hard thing to establish when one sees one's future partner as having a reputation. The line --- Will you love me in December, as you do in May, might seem very old fashion and out of date, but in reality, such notions might be ignored or forgotten by some for the sake of PERSONAL CONVENIENCE and GRATIFICATION. I feel most guys do not wish to marry the girl that has been shared and I feel that the young lady wants a fellow who is devoted only to her. Otherwise, you may as well have "gay marriage." .

A woman is not an object to be "shared".

Also, most people (male and female) want a partner who has some experience and knows what they like and don't like rather than one who doesn't know what's going on.

Upvote 0

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Let me re- phrase the question.
If you read what I said, you don't have to.
Why do you call it cheating when a fiance has sex with another person than the one they are engaged to ?
It has nothing to do with sex, but with breaking trust.

If you agree to certain conditions and violate them it is cheating.

If you tell someone that you will be with them only and then don't, it is cheating.

If you have not agreed to such conditions or the other person has not demanded them in the first place, it is not cheating.

If your partner does not demand exclusive sex, then it is not cheating.

Is it that complicated?

Upvote 0

repentandbelieve

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟2,742.00
Faith
Christian
If your fiance went out on a romantic date with another person, had a wonderful time, and confessed their love to that other person, would you then be ok with that so long as no sex was involved?

//// Pacific PanDeist
I would be hurt, and the hurt would be more had they had sex. I 'would probably feel a little like I had been cheated. Afterall, when people become engaged there is usually some kind of comment or promise that goes along with it.

But in the end, after I had stopped thinking about poor me, I would hopefully come to the conclusion it was better that it happened sooner than later.

Upvote 0

repentandbelieve

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟2,742.00
Faith
Christian
If you read what I said, you don't have to.

It has nothing to do with sex, but with breaking trust.

If you agree to certain conditions and violate them it is cheating.

If you tell someone that you will be with them only and then don't, it is cheating.

If you have not agreed to such conditions or the other person has not demanded them in the first place, it is not cheating.

If your partner does not demand exclusive sex, then it is not cheating.

Is it that complicated?
And how did you come to this sense of what is right and what is wrong? Where did it come from? and by what standard is it measured?.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gengwall

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
MN
✟14,586.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Also, most people (male and female) want a partner who has some experience and knows what they like and don't like rather than one who doesn't know what's going on.
Well, that may be what people think they want. And in the long run, it may turn out just fine for most. But let me submit the alternative - why should any person be responsible for satisfying the sexual baggage their partner brings into the relationship. I would suggest that a couples sexuality is something that should be built exclusively internally and from the ground up. It should not matter what some other person not outside this relationship did or didn't do, liked or didn't like. Those things only become stumbling blocks to the couple building their own model of sexuality.

Lets face it, the physical aspects of sex are pretty simple and well known. It isn't as if anybody anymore enters a sexual relationship not knowing what goes where. The only thing that sex with others brings is preconceived notions about what you or your partner prefer. But what if your partner doesn't like such and such or they want to try this or that and you wnat nothing to do with it. Should that be a relationship stopper? I should hope not! In reality, prior sexual experience is wholely unnecessary and potentially detrimental to building a sexuality with the current partner.

Upvote 0

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sex, in and of itself is not labeled evil, wrong or a sin. When done in the propper context (marriage), it's a beautiful, loving thing. It's sin when done in the wrong context.

Oh, and the word "sin" is an archery term meaning to "miss the mark". God has put the mark there, and when we miss it, we sin.

Rachel

Upvote 0

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Well, my hubby is different than most, I suppose. He seemed rather happy to be able to teach me "from the ground up", so to speak. BTW, I never dated anyone before him, either.

Rachel

Upvote 0

levi501

Senior Veteran
Apr 19, 2004
✟19,690.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really - How can you read all the condemnations of fornication in the bible and still hold that "fornication is alright" is a bilical view?

Or are you aserting, as TheGMan is in the other thread, that all premarital sex is not fornication? I really can't see an argument that supports a claim that the bible doesn't explicitely condemn fornication.
because I judge sin/immorality based on intention to act in an unloving way towards someone.

This view is supported by
Mathew 22:36-40
Romans 13:8-10
Galatians 5:14
1 Corinthians 13:1-4

I do define fornication as premarital sex. The action in itself does nothing to enlighten me as to the participant's intentions.

Upvote 0

gengwall

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
MN
✟14,586.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
because I judge sin/immorality based on intention to act in an unloving way towards someone.

This view is supported by
Mathew 22:36-40
Romans 13:8-10
Galatians 5:14
1 Corinthians 13:1-4

I do define fornication as premarital sex. The action in itself does nothing to enlighten me as to the participant's intentions.
Interesting - but probably best left for a different thread.

Upvote 0