Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We seem to have moved from marriage to love/commitment - do those speaking against fornication not have a problem with unmarried people having sex inside a loving, commited relationship?
I still don't believe it is inside the parameters given by God. I believe that marriage (the commitment shown by marriage) is the place for sex.

I also don't believe I am supposed to be anyone else's Holy Spirit and don't tell them they can't (I don't even tell them it's sinful unless they ask).

Rachel

Upvote 0

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I also don't believe I am supposed to be anyone else's Holy Spirit and don't tell them they can't (I don't even tell them it's sinful unless they ask).
If every christian felt/behaved that way (and dropped uninvited evangelism), there would be almost no friction between christians and anyone else. And I would crawl back under my rock and no religious person would ever hear from me again.

Upvote 0

PacificPandeist

PanDeism is the Reason for my Seasons
May 8, 2006
San Mateo
✟27,341.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Libertarian
We seem to have moved from marriage to love/commitment - do those speaking against fornication not have a problem with unmarried people having sex inside a loving, commited relationship?
I wouldn't define "unmarried people having sex inside a loving, commited relationship" as falling under "fornication" in the first place....

//// Pacific PanDeist

Upvote 0

nvxplorer

Senior Contributor
Jun 17, 2005
✟20,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
I still don't believe it is inside the parameters given by God. I believe that marriage (the commitment shown by marriage) is the place for sex.
As we've discussed before, I respect your belief, but I cannot grasp such a connection between sex and marriage. To me, it's the equivalent of saying that a king sized bed is the only proper place for sleep.

I respect you as a person, as well. As someone already mentioned; if only all Christians showed the same respect for others as you do...

Upvote 0

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If every christian felt/behaved that way (and dropped uninvited evangelism), there would be almost no fiction between christians and anyone else. And I would crawl back under my rock and no religious person would ever hear from me again.
Most of the time, just knowing I'm a Christian (which I don't hide for anyone) is enough for people to know what I believe. If I'm close with someone, I might express concern. But it's really not my place to "convict" anyone to turn to the right path. I'm just supposed to live on that path as much as I can.

While I can be a beacon to others in what I believe w/o saying a word, saying too much can often turn others away.

Rachel

Reactions: Rebekka
Upvote 0

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn't define "unmarried people having sex inside a loving, commited relationship" as falling under "fornication" in the first place....

I think "fornication" is like "perversion" in that everyone who uses the word (and always talking about someone else) has their own definition.

Upvote 0

PacificPandeist

PanDeism is the Reason for my Seasons
May 8, 2006
San Mateo
✟27,341.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think "fornication" is like "perversion" in that everyone who uses the word (and always talking about someone else) has their own definition.
Totally agree with that.... I don't think any two people on this thread would come up with the exact same definition for the term.... and maybe they shouldn't, maybe it's supposed to be something that's personal to the person who is deciding how they are meant to behave....

//// Pacific PanDeist

Upvote 0

repentandbelieve

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟2,742.00
Faith
Christian
I've never lied about sex. Or concealed it. Ever. Where do you get this idea from?

Look, everything can be bad for you. Marriage can be bad. Religion can be bad. Food can be bad. And yes, sex can be bad. Doesn't make it immoral or a sin though. Just a thought.
You very well may not have lied about it or concealed it. People can choose to honest about it, and it's far better if they are.

Upvote 0

repentandbelieve

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟2,742.00
Faith
Christian
The kinds of sex that are wrong are wrong for reasons other than sex, i.e. deliberately trying to harm another person. There is nothing wrong with any kind of sex in itself.
We both agree that sex, in and of itself and apart from everything else is perfectly normal and good. This is an important truth that people need to know and understand

And neither of us make the mistake of taking this important truth to mean that sex is good whenever people feel like engaging in it. We both acknowledge that in order for sex to continue being good it cannot violate the law of justice.

Sex is wrong when it causes harm to people regardless of if the harm done was deliberate or not. Because sex should never be engaged in unless unless it is first deliberated by the parties involved.

If there was such a thing as accidental sex then what your mind is telling you could be right. But in reality people don't have sex by accident.

Sex, like all other types of human behavior, is sublect to the law of justice. And this is where people start coming up with all sorts of different ideas about sex.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

repentandbelieve

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟2,742.00
Faith
Christian
If every christian felt/behaved that way (and dropped uninvited evangelism), there would be almost no fiction between christians and anyone else. And I would crawl back under my rock and no religious person would ever hear from me again.
What I can't fiqure out is why somebody who has such a dislike of hearing the Christian veiwpoint would become a member of Christian Forum in the first place..

Upvote 0

repentandbelieve

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟2,742.00
Faith
Christian
not everyone is as ashamed of sex as you are repentandbelieve im sorry you've had an awful experience due to sex (as your life experience implies) but you cannot go around proclaiming its a bad thing because of it. my sister was sick after being on ripsaw at alton towers, i loved it, because she had a bad experience didnt make it a bad thing. she actually then went on it again years later and had a great time.

you need to understand that once sex is no longer view as "shameful" as certain religions see it ppl cannot feel ashamed by it, unless there are other factors (lack of protection with bad results, alcohol, drugs, rape etc.) but all are external to the act itself.

sex isnt a shameful thing imo and thus there isnt a problem with fornication unless that person themselves feel there is a problem OR there is an external factor OR a psychological disorder gets involved (sex addiction is a problem but i think we should discount it in debates as its beyond control and not a rational problem)
I have been misunderstood. It is not as though I am ashamed of sex.. I have said many times that I believe sex , in and of itself, is perfectly normal and good. Christians in general are also grossly misunderstood as to how they veiw sex.

I sincerly thank you for your compassion and I do appreciate it. I have been hurt, and I have been responsible for other people being hurt also. I've also lied about and concealed my sexual experiences because I felt I needed to to avoid hurting someone else.

People say that sex isn't shamful. This is partially true because it isn't when done under the right circumstances. But in reality this is a lie. And like all powerful lies it is built upon a truth. They over simplify the matter of sex when they say that, because Sex can be, and is, a medium for humans to behave shamfully.

I'm ashamed of many of my past sexual experiences. Looking back I regret that I ever had them. And I know that there are many other people out there who are also ashamed of their past sexual experiences. And then there are even more who should be ashamed but are not.

Upvote 0

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The truth is that fornication eventually leads to people either lying about, or concealing, what they have done. They can't be honest about what they have done without harming someone else, and if they lie about it ,or conseal it, they harm themselves. There is no way to avoid it..

You very well may not have lied about it or concealed it. People can choose to honest about it, and it's far better if they are.
Make up your mind, eh?

Upvote 0

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If there was such a thing as accidental sex then what your mind is telling you could be right. But in reality people don't have sex by accident.
Sex cannot occur by accident, but the problems resulting from it can occur by accident, such as pregnancy and most certainly disease. And they can also be protected against.

Refusing to have sex because of the possibility of pregnancy or disease is like refusing to ever go on vacation in another state or overseas because of the possibility of a car or plane crash.

Upvote 0

repentandbelieve

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟2,742.00
Faith
Christian
Make up your mind, eh?
There are instances where if they are completly honest about it someone else gets hurt. They can choose to be honest about it, which is the right thing to do, but the end result is the other person geting hurt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm ashamed of many of my past sexual experiences. Looking back I regret that I ever had them. And I know that there are many other people out there who are also ashamed of their past sexual experiences. And then there are even more who should be ashamed but are not.
Don't lay your guilt trip on me. I don't regret any of my sexual experiences, instead regret that there were not more of them. As far as shame is concerned, I am far more ashamed of the reputation this country has in the realm of sexual repression.

Upvote 0

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What I can't fiqure out is why somebody who has such a dislike of hearing the Christian veiwpoint would become a member of Christian Forum in the first place..
My sole reason for being here is to try to get christians not to force their beliefs on other people, especially via legislation. To repeat the post you quoted, if they would stop doing that, they would never hear from me again.

Upvote 0

faster_jackrabbit

IPU Stable Hand
Mar 10, 2006
Houston Texas vicinity
✟22,566.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There are instances where if they are completly honest about it someone else gets hurt. They can choose to be honest about it, which is the right thing to do, but the end result is the other person geting hurt.
Still waiting for your evidence that this "hurt" always happens, which was your assertion. Unmarried sex is one of the categories that require citations, according to forum rules.

Upvote 0

repentandbelieve

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟2,742.00
Faith
Christian
Sex cannot occur by accident, but the problems resulting from it can occur by accident, such as pregnancy and most certainly disease. And they can also be protected against.

Refusing to have sex because of the possibility of pregnancy or disease is like refusing to ever go on vacation in another state or overseas because of the possibility of a car or plane crash.
I think that you could have picked a better analogy.

Steps can be taken to substantially reduce the chances of unwanted pregnancy. But what steps can air passengers take that will have that substanial effect of reducing the chances of a plane crash?

Upvote 0

repentandbelieve

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟2,742.00
Faith
Christian
Still waiting for your evidence that this "hurt" always happens, which was your assertion. Unmarried sex is one of the categories that require citations, according to forum rules.
Well don't hold you breath because that is not what I said.

Upvote 0