Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe I phrased that incorrectly. I believe for instance with 100% certainty that the earth is round & not flat.
Great! So your answer is "Yes, truth does exist and it can be known". (Feel free to correct me if this is incorrect)

Can you tell me that everything that you believe is truth is 100% certain?
No, I cannot tell you that everything I believe is truth is 100% certain. But that was not the question I asked. I simply asked if "truth", whether we agree with it or not, actually exists and is knowable.

Second question: Do you believe that "truth" is binary. Meaning that something is either "true" or "false" and that truth is not relative to subjective opinion? "Something isn't true, therefore it must be false."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It cant just be, it's in the bible, the bible is the word of god, so therefore it has to be true, type of belief.
I just wanted to let you know that I won't even bring up the bible or any scripture for that matter until I can convince you that the Bible is the historically accurate and authoritative word of God. Otherwise, I might as well be reading a nursery rhyme to "prove" that cows can jump over the moon. I will only bring up scripture to respond to or correct questions or statements that are directly relevant to scripture or Christian doctrine. So you can feel at ease.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi Mark, you say that the Christian view in Satan is confirmed in the O.T. in the book of Job. Maye you are reading a translation different to mine, or maybe you havent read the book of Job for some time, but I suggest that you read the 1st 2 chapters of Job again. Satan as described in the book of Job is fairly consistent with the temptation of Christ in the Gospel of Mark, but NOT consistent with the description given in either John or Revelation. In the old testament Satan is an adversary or tempter, but who is doing Gods work. In the book of Job, Satan is NOT acting on his own, but at the behest of God.

I'm actually very familiar with Job, it was the first book I did a formal study of and I engaged in a study of the book of Job recently that is still ongoing here on CF. It is profoundly consistent with the New Testament witness, like few books in the Old Testament. Satan is challenged by God to consider Job, he complains that God has set up a hedge, so he cannot get to him. The Devil is never seen as a nemesis that actually threatens God's sovereignty, but rather as a rebellious spirit that is subject to God's will. The gospel of John is unique, John spends more time on dialogues, Jesus with Nicodemus, the Samaritan woman and almost half is spent on the last three days, Matthew has extensive details about what happens the last week. John Mark wasn't even an Apostle, he got his writing under the supervision of Peter. I'm still a little puzzled with your theory, if that's what you call it, because, John only mentions the Devil once, he is mentioned repeatedly in the synoptic gospels.

I find the Gospel of Mark to be the most honest Gospel in the N.T. When Jesus is tempted in the wilderness, very little is said about it by Mark. Mathew & Luke go into much more detail.

Matthew and Luke had much more detail, Luke was the most detailed writer of the Gospel account in the New Testament and Matthew was very much into the minute details. Mark's Gospel was an early writing, one of the earliest of the New Testament writings. It is very brief in comparison to the others.

So I ask you this, if Jesus was alone in the wilderness, who's account likely to be the most accurate? The person who says the least about the temptation, or the one who says the most about the temptation? Jesus was ALONE which means there were no eyewitnesses. That is why I find Marks account the most believable.

I don't know what you mean, the account of Jesus in the wilderness would have been related to the Apostles by Jesus personally, no other explanation makes any sense.

Similarly with the virgin birth. Mark says nothing about the virgin birth, whereas Mathew & Luke add a virgin birth (both with differing accounts). Jesus said nothing about a virgin birth, Paul said nothing about a virgin birth. The only person who could possibly know if she was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus, is Mary the mother of Jesus herself, yet we have no testimony from her at all. In the gospel of Mark, when Jesus is preaching at Nazareth, Jesus entire family comes to fetch him because they think he has gone crazy, not understanding why he is preaching the things that he is preaching Surely if Mary & Joseph had both had angels visit them to tell them that the child Mary is carrying is from immaculate conception, they would also know that God had other plans for him, so I find it hard to believe that they would think he was crazy from preaching stuff about God.

Luke spent more time on the details, he makes it clear he researched the writing thoroughly, even writing the book of Acts as a continuation. It has more details then the rest of them put together, the fullest explanation of the nativity comes from Luke. Matthew was very much focused on declaring Jesus as King of the Jews, he reads the Messianic pedigree like a royal decree.

Yes his family did try to come get him early, but they were having a tough time dealing with him having gone into the ministry. They didn't think he had gone crazy, one of his brothers complained that someone wanting to be famous doesn't hang around Decapolis and Capernaum. They were probably concerned for his safety, and Jesus being the oldest son with their father gone they were probably worried about the future. The unsettling time early in his ministry would be taken in stride and Mary was with him right up until the end, she even accompanied Mary Magdalene is her initial visit to the tomb of Jesus and was there when he died. James and Jude were both his brothers, James presided over the Jerusalem Council, because he to was a Son of David and seen as royalty. James and Jude both wrote canonical books in the New Testament. Mary is said to have ended up in Ephesus later in her life, the hub of the mission to the Gentiles. His family knew he was the promised Messiah, but with all the intrigue, especially early in his life, I think they were concerned for his safety.

From memory both Mathew & luke gloss over or neglect to mention this, probably because they can see themselves how inconsistent this account is with the virgin birth.

I still don't know what you mean, the accounts of the virgin birth are part of the more detailed records. It was a direct fulfillment of predictive prophecy and while it became a key point of doctrine later, it's sufficiently addressed in the New Testament witness.

You say that
Again, I have read that there was much debate about including both John & Revelation in the cannon in the 1st place. The fact is it was included, & merely BECAUSE it was, christian apologists claim that we HAVE to believe it. Based on what evidence do I have to believe the Gospel of John when there is NO other evidence to back up that it is true? I have no evidence that john was an eyewitness, I have no evidence that John was a scribe for an eyewitness, & there are no other comparable gospels to back up the claims made in John.

Let's get a couple of things straight, and trust me, this isn't a rebuke. First of all the New Testament books did not fall out of the sky, nor where they kept in clay jars in the dessert somewhere. When the church received them they read them to the church, other churches that wanted them read to their congregations had to make a copy. That is why the New Testament is the best preserved collection of documents from antiquity, bar none. You don't have any evidence? The Scriptures themselves are evidence and the over abundance of manuscript evidence is overwhelming compared to anything from antiquity with the exception of the Old Testament canon. Now while you might not be convinced or impressed, which of course is the right of any free thinking person, I've spent most of my adult life concerned with such things. I have done exhaustive studies, across disciplines, from the musings of mystics and skeptics, to the detailed accounts of the Early Church Fathers and profoundly pious men of God who spent their whole lives researching those texts.

I've never seen that perspective stand up to close scrutiny, nor have I seen it accompanied with substantive evidencial arguments against John's authorship of his Gospel or his epistles. Revelations is a special case, I must admit, there are only about six hundred manuscripts from deep antiquity. Now while compared to the rest of the canon that might seem rather slight it surpasses anything else we have from antiquity by a considerable margin. If you wanted to add Euclid's Elements for instance, I doubt seriously that would be a consideration since plane geometry can be confirmed mathematically. As historical documents the New Testament is incomparable, considered to have withstood the ravages of time with close to 98% consistency with the autographs.

Put it this way, say I have never read the bible before, & I find a Mormon bible, & I start reading it. I start to believe a lot of what is written in it until I get to the parts that were written by Joseph Smith. So I go to the Mormon church & ask them, do I have to believe EVERYTHING in your bible to become a Mormon, or can I just believe the parts that make sense? If the church says that you have to believe the whole box & dice, I am probably out of there never to return. I feel the same way about the Christian bible, some parts of it make sense, a lot of it doesn't. In other words, my logical mind would tell me that the account by Joseph Smith is false. In the New Testament, my logical mind tells me that there are parts of the Christian bible that is false.

I understand what you are saying, went through that more times then I can count. I checked into the Book of Mormon as a matter of fact and found it to be a humorous work of fiction. I didn't just pick the Bible up and agree with everything it said, I took the time to learn the evidences for it's authenticity. That and my personal experiences with God and the nature of Christian discipleship I have become convinced of it's authenticity.

There are answers to your questions, I'm not saying I can shoot every argument you have down, goodness knows I wouldn't try. I can tell you from personal experience and long study that it's authentic and completely reliable as a witness to the redemptive history within it's pages. I don't ask you to take me at my word, that would be a pretty unreliable source considering the long history and enormous scholarship involved. I'm just saying, give yourself some time to consider the wealth of understanding you might gain, not the least of which is a relationship with the God who made you.

We all have questions, believe me, I fellowship with scholars on a regular basis that are constantly combing over the details. Just give yourself some time to absorb some of the details. Even if you land on the unbelieving side you might pick up some cultural things with regards to the literary features and much of the philosophical and intellectual byproducts that inevitably are produced.

Take some time, consider carefully and if you decide there isn't enough there to hold you, go in peace, I have no problem with you. But at least give it a careful consideration, with an open mind, and you can walk away with a clear conscience and perhaps a little wisdom from a source that is highly regarded for exactly that.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
because my friends were saying, you must feel so happy now, but i felt nothing different.

Perhaps their motives were different than yours. Perhaps they thought they had gotten a get out of jail free card without having to give up the perks of mankind's ideology.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If I am to accept that there is a good spirit (God), & an evil spirit (Satan), doesn't that imply that there are two gods, & not just one (a good God & an evil God)?
How do I decide who is the good god, & who is the evil god?

That is diversion. From beginning to end of the Bible it speaks of two wills. The will of man and the will of God. The will of man is adversarial to the will of God. Hence the use of satan (which means adversary) to divert attention from the fact it is us who is responsible for the evils in this world. God asks us all through the Bible to follow His will which puts His will before ours , His will being love neighbour as self.

Man is more selfish. Man want us all to stick to our system of selfishness. We do what is best for ourselves, gain at the expense of others, change the definition of good and evil to self justify our deeds.

Man's will and God's will are polar opposites, yet here you are befuddled by theology of man attempting to explain it all away and try and have it both ways, man's and God's at the same time. Impossible yet the Gentile Christian church and State did just that when 1700 years ago it amalgamated into one power, an impossibility otherwise if Christianity had remained true to it's roots.

So what it boils down to is a choice for you. Allegiance to the governance of man based on man's ideal's or allegiance to the will of God based on the ideals of His kingdom. Both have their own but opposite rewards.

The human (satan which means adversary) side will do anything including force to keep you loyal to the system here (even using Christianity to do so). God on the other hand offers an alternative way of life, but the choice is yours. Personally I prefer being a radical towards the world of man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
After about 3 weeks of attending bible study & going to church, I felt compelled to go to the front of the church & confess my sin, & give myself to christ. At the time i did this I was genuinely wanting to believe.

Hello, natasreficul. A bit of a nasty screen name you've chosen. In reverse it is lucifersatan. A name like this makes me wonder if you're just a troll. I hope not. Time will tell.

Wanting to believe and believing are two different things. It is the difference between wanting to drink a glass of water and actually doing so. You can't really give yourself to Christ when you haven't actually committed yourself to believing in who he is and what he did on the cross. And converting to Christianity is the result of a work God has been doing in your mind and heart, convicting you of your sin, persuading you of the truths of the Gospel, moving you to true repentance and a saving faith in Christ. Being saved is not the means by which you move God to do these things in you. It doesn't look to me from what you've written that you understood this. It is not a surprise, then, that you go on to write:

Afterwards I got all these congratulations from my friends however I didnt feel anything at all. I thought I must have done something wrong, because my friends were saying, you must feel so happy now, but i felt nothing different. After a couple more weeks, I went to the front of the church again to confess to christ, because I still didnt feel anything at all, & thought that I must not have done it right the 1st time.
Again I didnt feel anything, & by this time I was really struggling with doubt.

This is exactly what I'd expect to hear from someone who merely went through the motions of getting saved. Being born-again is a thing of the heart, not of ceremony or ritual. God looks at the core of who you are, of what you truly think and believe and responds to you accordingly. He is not waiting on you to say some Christian "magic spell," some "prayer of salvation," whose words said in the correct order forces Him to save you. No, being saved is yielding yourself to God, putting yourself entirely at His disposal, making Him the center of your life.

John 3:30
30 He must increase, but I must decrease.

Matthew 16:24-25
24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Romans 12:1
1 Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.

1 Corinthians 10:31
31 Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

This is accomplished through trusting in the truth that Christ really was God in the flesh, that he really did die to save you from the eternal consequences of your sin, that he actually did rise from the dead, and that through him you come into direct relationship with God. When this is what you've done, when God responds to your repentance and faith by adopting you into His family, you will be a forever changed person - and you'll know it. God will send His Holy Spirit into you and in doing so will fundamentally alter who you are.

Romans 8:16
16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

Titus 3:5-6
5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,
6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior,

Romans 8:9-11
9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.
10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

There is no way God can take up residence in a person without that person knowing it. Does this mean you will feel strangely happy when you're truly born-again? Maybe. Maybe not. Will this mean tears of brokenness and joy at the moment of your conversion? Maybe. Maybe not. Whatever may - or may not - happen, you will know at the core of who you are that you are one of God's children. And your life will begin to change. You will not find the sin of the past comfortable and as enticing as you once did. You will find yourself wanting to be rid of old sinful habits and pleasures. Not because some human told you that you should but because God's Holy Spirit is now within you, provoking you to a holy life which is essential to full, joyful fellowship with God. You will find a deep affection for other Christians developing in your heart, as well, because the Spirit of God within you loves them. You will find yourself eager to feed on God's word, the Bible, and learn its truths, spiritual principles, wisdom and commands because they are from the Spirit who lives within you. And so on. No, there is no true conversion of a person by God that doesn't inevitably and profoundly alter that person in unmistakable ways. This isn't your story, though, is it?

The church I was going to also believed in talking in tongues, & after about 8 weeks my friends asked me if i am talking in tongues yet. I confessed that i wasnt, & said that I didnt know how. I was told that the holy spirit will come down & show me how. I continued going to church, but the whole time my faith was waning. I was trying desperately to believe, but just coudnt. I started to feel depressed, because I felt that I was living a lie. I tried forcing talking in tongues, but knew I was just babbling gobbledy gook. I listened closely to others to hear what they were saying when they were talking in tongues, but after a couple of weeks of close listening, realised that they were just babbling gobbledy gook as well.

Yup. There are parts of the Christian Church that are full of gobbledy-gook. It's unfortunate you found yourself among such kooky believers.

Anyway, the faith of God that is necessary to true, saving belief and conversion cannot be manufactured from within yourself. It must come ultimately from God.

John 6:44
44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

Romans 10:17
17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

1 Timothy 1:13-14
13 even though I was formerly a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent aggressor. Yet I was shown mercy because I acted ignorantly in unbelief;
14 and the grace of our Lord was more than abundant, with the faith and love which are found in Christ Jesus.

And when it does, such faith - fueled by God Himself - doesn't wane as yours did. Don't get me wrong: it may not initially be a big, powerful, faith, but it will be steady, persistent, though it might at first be small.

It does not surprise me that you felt miserable living a lie. Who doesn't? It must have been rather humiliating to babble nonsense just to fit in. Goodness, the silliness some Christians get up to!

I told my friends that i was struggling, & they just told me I was being negative. I also couldnt believe many of the things I was told I was supposed to believe. My mind dosnt work that way, I cant just believe on faith alone, I have to have some type of evidence, not just believe because everybody else does.

Right. This is the sort of faith described in the Bible:

2 Timothy 1:12
12 ...nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.

For the apostle Paul, his faith began with knowledge which he became persuaded was true and then he acted in faith toward God. He did not take a blind leap in the dark. And neither should you. Here are some websites you can visit that will give you loads of evidence and rational argument for the validity of the Christian faith:

www.crossexamined.org
www.reasonablefaith.org
www.coldcasechristianity.com
www.rzim.org

I also felt that in the church, people would come up with all these wild conspiracy theories that would spread like wildfire, with absolutely no evidence to back them up.

It's unfortunate, but there are rather too many Christians who are easily drawn into believing nutty conspiracy theories. Not really sure why...

Int he end I stopped going to church & bible study, because i just couldnt bring myself to believe any more. I tried to stay in touch with the Christian friends, but after i stopped going to church & attending bible study, they seemed to have no more interest in being my friend.

Well, that's - again - very unfortunate. Sounds like your friends were rather immature as Christians, to say the least. Not all Christians are this way, though. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No, being saved is yielding yourself to God, putting yourself entirely at His disposal, making Him the center of your life.

Yes, Him, His Kingdom and governance. NOT the world of man or it's ideals and governance.,

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From memory, Jesus dosnt say much about Satan at all in the Synoptic gospels

26 mentions in the Synoptic gospels, by my count.

It is unlikely that the person who wrote the Gospel of John was actually the Disciple of Jesus

Typical dates of composition proposed are 95 or earlier, which fall within John's lifetime (The Oxford Dictionary of the Bible says 95, D. A. Carson's The Gospel According to John says 80, and Colin G. Kruse's The Gospel According to John suggests a date in the 80s or 90s).

Would his eyesight have been good enough to write, when there were no reading glasses back in those days?

We know that the Pauline epistles were dictated to a scribe. That was common in those days.

Why would the actual disciple of John wait so long to write it?

Perhaps because he wanted to get it on paper before he died?

Can you remember word for word things somebody else said even 1 year ago

Yes, especially if it was important.

The only person who could possibly know if she was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus, is Mary the mother of Jesus herself, yet we have no testimony from her at all.

It's generally assumed that Luke interviewed Mary or had access to a record by Mary, given the personal stuff that he records.

Again, I have read that there was much debate about including both John & Revelation in the cannon in the 1st place.

There was no debate on including John in the canon. The earliest references to the gospels list the same 4 that we have: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John (see Irenaeus of Lyons writing around 180, Papias of Hierapolis writing around 140, etc.).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello, natasreficul. A bit of a nasty screen name you've chosen. In reverse it is lucifersatan. A name like this makes me wonder if you're just a troll. I hope not. Time will tell.
Yep. I already explained that to him. Absolutely kills his credibility right off the bat. Perhaps the mods will show mercy by allowing him to change it without having to acquire 45,000 blessing points. LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Second question: Do you believe that "truth" is binary. Meaning that something is either "true" or "false" and that truth is not relative to subjective opinion? "Something isn't true, therefore it must be false."
@natasreficul just a nudge. I know how easy it is to get distracted from all the other conversations.

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's generally assumed that Luke interviewed Mary or had access to a record by Mary, given the personal stuff that he records.

I wonder if he even needed that to be honest. They were all believers together, so I do wonder how often it’d have come up. Thinking about my own parents and things I just kind of think there could’ve been that evening, especially when they were being persecuted, when Mary goes ‘Did I ever tell you about the time an Angel came to me to tell me I was pregnant with the son of God?’ It’s such a big life event to happen to you, you’re probably going to talk about it to the people you know will believe you.

Just my thoughts. I kind of like thinking about what conversation the disciples would’ve had with Jesus and stuff. You know that they weren’t living in silence between anything that’s written.

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
when Mary goes ‘Did I ever tell you about the time an Angel came to me to tell me I was pregnant with the son of God?

or at the wedding feast.. Great wine? That's nothing. Did I ever tell you about the time an Angel came to me to tell me I was pregnant with the son of God?

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just my thoughts. I kind of like thinking about what conversation the disciples would’ve had with Jesus and stuff. You know that they weren’t living in silence between anything that’s written.
Yeah, could you imagine the jokes that Jesus had up his sleeve while sitting around the campfire? If I could only have been a fly on the wall.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All those fishing trips with the guys while the ladies fried up the catch. The guys sitting back swapping parables and talking about the convert that got away.
Well, one things for certain. They never had to worry about running out of beer.

Upvote 0