Why high food prices are good for the poor.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Food costs are figured into the general cost of living, and especially into the supplemental food programs. Cost of living is figured into wages as well. As a (past) union bargaining board member I have argued for wage increases based on inflation and the increased cost of living numbers, which included food cost.

In many cases wages are based on whatever either party can force upon the other.

Wages are only negotiated by unions for their members. They are not set by employers due to the cost of food. If food rose 200% no union would be successful in getting 200% raises for their members as the demand for that labor would not be 200x greater than it was before food prices rose. Unions still are subject to the law of supply and demand when negotiating wages. The cost of food might be a motivating factor for the union in demanding raises but it is completely irrelevant to management in setting the top price for a wage they will be willing to offer. Additionally, in the year 2019, how many of the poor are members of a union?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wages are only negotiated by unions for their members. They are not set by employers due to the cost of food. If food rose 200% no union would be successful in getting 200% raises for their members as the demand for that labor would not be 200x greater than it was before food prices rose. Unions still are subject to the law of supply and demand when negotiating wages. Additionally, in the year 2019, how many of the poor are members of a union?

Food costs are part of the cost of living, comprising about 16-18 percent of the average family budget.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Food costs are part of the cost of living, comprising about 16-18 percent of the average family budget.

That is true but it is irrelevant to that is not how wages are set. Cost of living raises are not really about the cost of living they are about inflation of the currency, rising prices across all products and expectations of rising sales numbers for the company due to inflation. Supply and demand coupled with government mandates for minimum wage is what drives wage increases not food prices . Do you think corporation management like that at Walmart, for one moment, takes into consideration anything about food prices rising in conjunction with what they pay their employees? Their budget is set in line with a preferred percentage of projected sales with absolutely no consideration at all of what food prices might be doing or of how much work needs to be done by those employees. The only part of that process that involves food prices would be projected income from their grocery division.

Let me be clear that I do agree with you that there is a real opportunity for not only the poor but for everyone to save a great deal of money on food costs by buying properly and not eating boxed, canned, pre cooked in store processed food or restaurant food. Anyone that buys frozen mashed potatoes or precooked items from the supermarket is wasting an incredible amount of money. Almost as much as anyone that buys their food take out from a restaurant. For those that can afford it , it isn't much of a problem but for those strapped for money it is self destructive.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let me be clear that I do agree with you that there is a real opportunity for not only the poor but for everyone to save a great deal of money on food costs by buying properly and not eating boxed, canned, pre cooked in store processed food or restaurant food. Anyone that buys frozen mashed potatoes or precooked items from the supermarket is wasting an incredible amount of money. Almost as much as anyone that buys their food take out from a restaurant. For those that can afford it , it isn't much of a problem but for those strapped for money it is self destructive.

That is my main point. Glad we agree. :)

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That's why some go to college, and others go to work. You play with the hand you're dealt.

Your thread is about making some changes to the "hand we're dealt".

Why do not make it based on the Lord's ways?

God doesn't 'poof' everyone into equality.

Not in Lord's Kingdom. Read the Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard. Generosity is the rule. Cut some slack, consider other people's circumstances. To more that is given, more shall be asked.....

This world we live in is unfair. But the only reason it exists is to test us - Parable of the Faithful Servant.

Do we live/serve in the Lord's Kingdom or the world?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That is my main point. Glad we agree. :)

I think you missed his point about those "strapped for money".

The concept goes against the Lord's teaching about taking care of the "least". Because how we treat the least of our fellow believers is how we treat the Lord.

If we deprive them or be harsh / cold on them, that is how we treat the Lord.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think you missed his point about those "strapped for money".

The concept goes against the Lord's teaching about taking care of the "least". Because how we treat the least of our fellow believers is how we treat the Lord.

If we deprive them or be harsh / cold on them, that is how we treat the Lord.

I'll give a few fish, but then I'll teach them how to fish.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'll give a few fish, but then I'll teach them how to fish.

That's good, but you know how tough and unforgiving the world can be to the less fortunate.

You might have to pull some favors and get your reputation on the line to make sure they get to fish!

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's good, but you know how tough and unforgiving the world can be to the less fortunate.

You might have to pull some favors and get your reputation on the line to make sure they get to fish!

At this point in time they know how to fish, but alas many must be given no other choice.

Regarding reputation, mine got lost in this Babylon long ago.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
At this point in time they know how to fish, but alas many must be given no other choice.

Regarding reputation, mine got lost in this Babylon long ago.

If they are totally hopeless case, find others who might change, and also consider their children.

Perhaps, the children have a different mindset than their parents. Help them get education and a good future not just leave them to the fate of their parents in order the break the cycle of poverty.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If they are totally hopeless case, find others who might change, and also consider their children.

Perhaps, the children have a different mindset than their parents. Help them get education and a good future not just leave them to the fate of their parents in order the break the cycle of poverty.

Actually we have government agencies with resources and expertise for that. My personal involvement is with my own family (which is difficult enough).

The heavy-handedness of those agencies pretty much matches the hard-headedness of those they are trying reach. One also has to consider the sicknesses, addictions, mental illness, and criminality of many of the poor, something that few ordinary citizens are qualified to address.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Actually we have government agencies with resources and expertise for that. My personal involvement is with my own family (which is difficult enough).

The heavy-handedness of those agencies pretty much matches the hard-headedness of those they are trying reach. One also has to consider the sicknesses, addictions, mental illness, and criminality of many of the poor, something that few ordinary citizens are qualified to address.

You'll need more funding for that.

Addressing / exposing the wastes in politics and the lifestyles of the middle class and richer might help..

That is actually one of our duties as Christians - John 7:7 (not for Christ only because - John 14:12)

You can't fix a problem without spending money. In case of a national problem, lots of money.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You'll need more funding for that.

Addressing / exposing the wastes in politics and the lifestyles of the middle class and richer might help..

That is actually one of our duties as Christians - John 7:7 (not for Christ only because - John 14:12)

You can't fix a problem without spending money. In case of a national problem, lots of money.

Cut the waste and inefficiency and there will be plenty.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The best way to break the cycle of poverty is,

Graduate from high school.
Don't break the law.
Don't do drugs or alcohol.
Don't have kids until you are married, and can afford it.
Don't be too unconventional in grooming or dress.
Take care of your health.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Devil Anse
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The best way to break the cycle of poverty is,

Graduate from high school.
Don't break the law.
Don't do drugs or alcohol.
Don't have kids until you are married, and can afford it.
Don't be too unconventional in grooming or dress.
Take care of your health.

Peer pressure is serious business in poor, gang-infested communities. You could get killed or someone you love hurt, your property vandalized for simply saying No.

You can't hold them to the same standards as everyone.

The Bible makes it an important matter enough that we should be very careful in judging others. More that is given, more is required, the "measure" we use on others will also be used on us.

We may have made a good lives for ourselves but being tough on others and we ourselves have not done our best to be selfless with our gifts, talents, skills, opportunities, resources, time for the sake of the Lord, we might account this to God one day.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Peer pressure is serious business in poor, gang-infested communities. You could get killed or someone you love hurt, your property vandalized for simply saying No.

You can't hold them to the same standards as everyone.

The Bible makes it an important matter enough that we should be very careful in judging others. More that is given, more is required, the "measure" we use on others will also be used on us.

We may have made a good lives for ourselves but being tough on others and we ourselves have not done our best to be selfless with our gifts, talents, skills, opportunities, resources, time for the sake of the Lord, we might account this to God one day.

The points mentioned are characteristic weaknesses of most poor, and especially the homeless, regardless of ethnicity.

Regarding standards, note that college isn't mentioned, as a large percentage of the poor have not graduated from high school, which is the minimum requirement for success in the workplace.

Upvote 0