Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Inflation has changed the way many Americans shop. Now, those changes in consumer habits are helping bring down inflation.
Fed up with prices that remain about 19%, on average, above where they were before the pandemic, consumers are fighting back. In grocery stores, they're shifting away from name brands to store-brand items, switching to discount stores or simply buying fewer items like snacks or gourmet foods.
More Americans are buying used cars, too, rather than new, forcing some dealers to provide discounts on new cars again. But the growing consumer pushback to what critics condemn as price-gouging has been most evident with food as well as with consumer goods like paper towels and napkins.

In recent months, consumer resistance has led large food companies to respond by sharply slowing their price increases from the peaks of the past three years. This doesn't mean grocery prices will fall back to their levels of a few years ago, though with some items, including eggs, apples and milk, prices are below their peaks. But the milder increases in food prices should help further cool overall inflation, which is down sharply from a peak of 9.1% in 2022 to 3.1%.
Public frustration with prices has become a central issue in President Joe Biden’s bid for re-election. Polls show that despite the dramatic decline in inflation, many consumers are unhappy that prices remain so much higher than they were before inflation began accelerating in 2021.

Biden has echoed the criticism of many left-leaning economists that corporations jacked up their prices more than was needed to cover their own higher costs, allowing themselves to boost their profits. The White House has also attacked “shrinkflation,” whereby a company, rather than raising the price of a product, instead shrinks the amount inside the package. In a video released on Super Bowl Sunday, Biden denounced shrinkflation as a “rip-off.”
Consumer pushback against high prices suggests to many economists that inflation should further ease. That would make this bout of inflation markedly different from the debilitating price spikes of the 1970s and early 1980s, which took longer to defeat. When high inflation persists, consumers often develop an inflationary psychology: Ever-rising prices lead them to accelerate their purchases before costs rise further, a trend that can itself perpetuate inflation.

“That was the fear — that everybody would tolerate higher prices,” said Gregory Daco, chief economist at EY, a consulting firm, who notes that it hasn't happened. “I don't think we've moved into a high inflation regime.”
Instead, this time many consumers have reacted like Stuart Dryden, a commercial underwriter at a bank who lives in Arlington, Virginia. On a recent trip to his regular grocery store, Dryden, 37, pointed out big price disparities between Kraft Heinz-branded products and their store-label competitors, which he now favors.

Reactions: hislegacy

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Inflation has changed the way many Americans shop. Now, those changes in consumer habits are helping bring down inflation.
Fed up with prices that remain about 19%, on average, above where they were before the pandemic, consumers are fighting back. In grocery stores, they're shifting away from name brands to store-brand items, switching to discount stores or simply buying fewer items like snacks or gourmet foods.
More Americans are buying used cars, too, rather than new, forcing some dealers to provide discounts on new cars again. But the growing consumer pushback to what critics condemn as price-gouging has been most evident with food as well as with consumer goods like paper towels and napkins.

In recent months, consumer resistance has led large food companies to respond by sharply slowing their price increases from the peaks of the past three years. This doesn't mean grocery prices will fall back to their levels of a few years ago, though with some items, including eggs, apples and milk, prices are below their peaks. But the milder increases in food prices should help further cool overall inflation, which is down sharply from a peak of 9.1% in 2022 to 3.1%.
Public frustration with prices has become a central issue in President Joe Biden’s bid for re-election. Polls show that despite the dramatic decline in inflation, many consumers are unhappy that prices remain so much higher than they were before inflation began accelerating in 2021.

Biden has echoed the criticism of many left-leaning economists that corporations jacked up their prices more than was needed to cover their own higher costs, allowing themselves to boost their profits. The White House has also attacked “shrinkflation,” whereby a company, rather than raising the price of a product, instead shrinks the amount inside the package. In a video released on Super Bowl Sunday, Biden denounced shrinkflation as a “rip-off.”
Consumer pushback against high prices suggests to many economists that inflation should further ease. That would make this bout of inflation markedly different from the debilitating price spikes of the 1970s and early 1980s, which took longer to defeat. When high inflation persists, consumers often develop an inflationary psychology: Ever-rising prices lead them to accelerate their purchases before costs rise further, a trend that can itself perpetuate inflation.

“That was the fear — that everybody would tolerate higher prices,” said Gregory Daco, chief economist at EY, a consulting firm, who notes that it hasn't happened. “I don't think we've moved into a high inflation regime.”
Instead, this time many consumers have reacted like Stuart Dryden, a commercial underwriter at a bank who lives in Arlington, Virginia. On a recent trip to his regular grocery store, Dryden, 37, pointed out big price disparities between Kraft Heinz-branded products and their store-label competitors, which he now favors.
I have been cutting down on my spending and will continue to do so ... looking at many ways I can "stretch my dollars". What's going on now is the tip of the iceberg ... imo .... preparing for the future in ways that I can.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I have been cutting down on my spending and will continue to do so ... looking at many ways I can "stretch my dollars". What's going on now is the tip of the iceberg ... imo .... preparing for the future in ways that I can.
I think at this point the best thing to do is to form or join a union where we work.

• Agree
Reactions: A2SG
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you blame some consumers? When you are struggling to make payments...

"Americans’ total credit card balance is $1.129 trillion in the fourth quarter of 2023, according to the latest consumer debt data from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. That’s up from a record $1.079 trillion in the third quarter of 2023, leaving the balance the highest since the New York Fed began tracking in 1999."
ccs-chart-4-5-1024x800.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
One thing we all can do, is see what products rose the most, and then simply stop buying them, choosing other alternatives. If everyone did this, the corporations would fold in short order.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Fed up with prices

Lol... This is so funny...

People can't afford to shop the same.. prices have increased to the point it's not just the most poor having to figure out grocery shopping and changing things up.

But it's because people are too broke - not because they are "fighting back". If you can't afford something you don't buy it.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Lol... This is so funny...

People can't afford to shop the same..
For example, when eggs shot up in price, I stopped buying them, changing menu a bit. So did a lot of other people. Prices came down. It works.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For example, when eggs shot up in price, I stopped buying them, changing menu a bit. So did a lot of other people. Prices came down. It works.

Stopping buying eggs changes demand for eggs, often leaving an overage in stock at risk of spoilage.

It doesn't change how much it costs to produce an egg.

Usually when people stop buying eggs they are doing so because they can no longer afford to use eggs the same way they were using them prior to the price increases.

I can't afford meat anymore. When enough people can't afford to buy meat are you hoping the prices will go down? Do you think it's a good thing people can't afford healthy food?

• Agree
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Stopping buying eggs changes demand for eggs, often leaving an overage in stock at risk of spoilage.

Production cost isn’t the only factor that goes into pricing a good, especially a commodity such eggs. Absent any price controls, the price is basically whatever the market will bear. If there’s less demand, sellers will start cutting margins at some point.
I can't afford meat anymore. When enough people can't afford to buy meat are you hoping the prices will go down?
Prices falling in response to weak demand is econ 101.

Do you think it's a good thing people can't afford healthy food?
At least around here, chicken and pork are about as cheap as they always have been.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
At least around here, chicken and pork are about as cheap as they always have been.

I'm from the days ground beef was a dollar a pound... 5+ dollars a pound is ridiculous. Lol... Same with brisket, it's trash meat because it's so tough... That used to be 99 cents a pound too. Chicken was around .80 cents a pound..

when prices go up like this within a decade and a half something is wrong.

in some things prices have increased way exceeding any cost of living increases over the same period.

it piles up on people. Rent increases, coupled with increases at the gas pump coupled with food price increases and food is the first thing that changes for most people when real wages aren't keeping up after entertainment is removed from the budget.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If you support the democratic party ... as the majority of unions do.
I think they only do so out of a sense of nostalgia for the good old days when the Democrats were actually a labor party.

• Agree
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm from the days ground beef was a dollar a pound... 5+ dollars a pound is ridiculous. Lol... Same with brisket, it's trash meat because it's so tough... That used to be 99 cents a pound too. Chicken was around .80 cents a pound..

when prices go up like this within a decade and a half something is wrong.
Beef prices have definitely gotten ridiculous since COVID, but chicken is still reasonable. I have no difficulty finding legs and thighs for $1/lb or less, and boneless, skinless breasts (one of the more expensive chicken cuts) can be found for around $2/lb on sale, which is what I remember paying for them ten years ago. Pork (aside from bacon, which is weirdly expensive here) hasn't gone up too much either.

I eat a lot less beef than I used to, but that's probably a good thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

But it does throw a wrench into the gears of anyone profiteering on eggs. Which is the point.

Usually when people stop buying eggs they are doing so because they can no longer afford to use eggs the same way they were using them prior to the price increases.
I just didn't want someone besides the producers (who weren't getting that extra money) to play me like that. Apparently, there were enough people like me, and they backed off.

Prices falling in response to weak demand is econ 101.
Right. I keep an eye out for sales, and buy beef when it's cheap. And it goes in the freezer in vacuum packs. When it's "normal", I don't buy it. And yes, chicken and pork are more reasonable, because big corporations don't control the supply chain as well as they do with beef.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Beef prices have definitely gotten ridiculous since COVID, but chicken is still reasonable. I have no difficulty finding legs and thighs for $1/lb or less, and boneless, skinless breasts (one of the more expensive chicken cuts) can be found for around $2/lb on sale, which is what I remember paying for them ten years ago. Pork (aside from bacon, which is weirdly expensive here) hasn't gone up too much either.

I eat a lot less beef than I used to, but that's probably a good thing.

I get the 10 pound bag of leg quarters on chicken and divide it up for the freezer. I also get liver - beef and chicken.

There's not much I've been able to find here less than 3 dollars a pound though. Meat here hasn't been going on sale much, I buy fresh fish on sale and cook it night of some, it's like day old but if you cook it right away it's fine.

Whole chicken is more difficult to find - which is weird. You either get monster chickens that defy nature itself or chicken pieces, but a regular chicken to throw in a pot for soup seems to have gone the way of the dinosaurs... I'm not sure why either.

Your right on bacon. I'm even having a hard time finding fatback and salt pork for my husband's beans all of the sudden. Last time I bought fat back I spent 3 dollars for just a couple ounces...

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

You can always go plant-based. The price of beans, rice, and oats hasn't gone up that much. Vegetables are also still fairly reasonable.

I've started pushing back myself and becoming more careful about what I buy. Some of the higher prices on consumer goods seem to be the result of greed. I've also started purchasing more refurbished or used items if I need them.

Unfortunately, a big part of the burden on ordinary people is high rents, and there's little that can be done about that at the individual level.

Upvote 0