Tucker Carlson Claims Groceries Are Cheaper in Russia Despite a Russian Food Inflation Crisis

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Tucker Carlson Claims Groceries Are Cheaper in Russia Despite a Russian Food Inflation Crisis

Tucker Carlson's latest attempt at pro-Putin propaganda completely backfires

Former Fox host and Vladimir Putin apologist Tucker Carlson aired a segment on the most recent episode of his show on X which attempted to show that quality of life is better for Russians than it is for Americans. So much so that Carlson claims his experience "radicalized" him against U.S. leaders.

The segment came as part of Carlson's trip to Russia to interview Vladimir Putin. Carlson filmed himself and his crew shopping for groceries for the week at a Russian grocery store. Carlson and his crew estimated that the amount of food they purchased for the week would run about $400 in an American grocery store, but the bill was around 9,400 Russian Rubles, about $100 American.
"Coming to a Russian grocery store...and seeing how much things cost and how they live; it will radicalize you against our leaders," Carlson continued.
According to the most recent economic data, the average monthly wage in Russia is 73,383 Rubles, the equivalent of roughly $800 a month in the United States. That comes out to 18,345 Rubles per week for the average Russian, around $200 American. This means that Carlson's grocery bill of roughly 9,400 Rubles represented more than 50% of a Russian weekly salary.

According to the Russian news agency TASS, Russia is experiencing a massive food supply crisis. Food inflation is one of the most frequently referenced quality of life issues for everyday Russians.

In a survey of 5,000 people aged 20-55, TASS found that 60.4% of Russian citizens spend about half of their monthly income for food, 16% spend almost all their earnings on food, and 14.8% about a third of their income. Only 8.8% spend no more than 20% on food.

Carlson's attempt at pro-Putin propaganda functions on multiple levels. Carlson is not only attempting to destroy American faith in our own institutions based on a lie, to the extent he says Americans should become "radicalized" in the effort to make the U.S. more like Russia, but it also callously ignores the hardships faced by everyday Russians under Putin's regime. Carlson is sending the message to Russians that they are living better under the dictatorship of Putin than Americans live in a democracy.

Carlson's lies harm both America and Russia. His loyalty to Putin above his own nation is now more obvious than ever.

Lenin referred to ignorant Americans who praised Russia as "useful fools." But in this case, it appears that Carlson knows very well what he's doing.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Tucker Carlson's latest attempt at pro-Putin propaganda completely backfires

Former Fox host and Vladimir Putin apologist Tucker Carlson aired a segment on the most recent episode of his show on X which attempted to show that quality of life is better for Russians than it is for Americans. So much so that Carlson claims his experience "radicalized" him against U.S. leaders.

The segment came as part of Carlson's trip to Russia to interview Vladimir Putin. Carlson filmed himself and his crew shopping for groceries for the week at a Russian grocery store. Carlson and his crew estimated that the amount of food they purchased for the week would run about $400 in an American grocery store, but the bill was around 9,400 Russian Rubles, about $100 American.

"Coming to a Russian grocery store...and seeing how much things cost and how they live; it will radicalize you against our leaders," Carlson continued.
According to the most recent economic data, the average monthly wage in Russia is 73,383 Rubles, the equivalent of roughly $800 a month in the United States. That comes out to 18,345 Rubles per week for the average Russian, around $200 American. This means that Carlson's grocery bill of roughly 9,400 Rubles represented more than 50% of a Russian weekly salary.

According to the Russian news agency TASS, Russia is experiencing a massive food supply crisis. Food inflation is one of the most frequently referenced quality of life issues for everyday Russians.

In a survey of 5,000 people aged 20-55, TASS found that 60.4% of Russian citizens spend about half of their monthly income for food, 16% spend almost all their earnings on food, and 14.8% about a third of their income. Only 8.8% spend no more than 20% on food.

Carlson's attempt at pro-Putin propaganda functions on multiple levels. Carlson is not only attempting to destroy American faith in our own institutions based on a lie, to the extent he says Americans should become "radicalized" in the effort to make the U.S. more like Russia, but it also callously ignores the hardships faced by everyday Russians under Putin's regime. Carlson is sending the message to Russians that they are living better under the dictatorship of Putin than Americans live in a democracy.

Carlson's lies harm both America and Russia. His loyalty to Putin above his own nation is now more obvious than ever.

Lenin referred to ignorant Americans who praised Russia as "useful fools." But in this case, it appears that Carlson knows very well what he's doing.
Tucker Carlson is an example of why I have a hard time taking seriously the right's complaints about elites. His dad was the president of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and the Ambassador to the Seychelles and his stepmom was an heiress to the Swanson food fortune. Tucker marvels at the practicality of Russian grocery cart systems, apparently not knowing that Aldi's has been using them in the US for decades:

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wait...does Tucker think "our leaders" set grocery prices?

-- A2SG, anyone wanna tell him how capitalism works...?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apparently, Tucker is counting on his followers to not account for the disparity of the average Russian earnings vs that of an American nor rhe exchange rate. He really does take his audience for fools.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm guessing that maybe Putin's guys scripted this one for Tucker to perform, and he didn't know how to get out of it. I have a hard time believing that he's that stupid.

And I suspect that Putin produced this for Russian people to see, not Americans. What we can tell from this, is where Tucker's allegiance is placed.

• Winner
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm guessing that maybe Putin's guys scripted this one for Tucker to perform, and he didn't know how to get out of it. I have a hard time believing that he's that stupid.

And I suspect that Putin produced this for Russian people to see, not Americans. What we can tell from this, is where Tucker's allegiance is placed.

You're referring to the interview where Putin spent the first 30 minutes lecturing Tucker on Putin's aggrieved version of Russian history?

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The bottom line is food prices have remained elevated and I blame greedy corporations. The grocery cart thing won't save the stores a ton of money. But this gave me an idea. Let us meet in Las Vegas and brainstorm how we could install turnstiles at the doors that open with NFC devices or barcode readers given at checkout. I'll invest!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I can’t believe Tucker fell for the old North Korean grocery story trick.

Wait no, actually I can believe it and think he’s totally complicit in trying to sell pro-Putin Russian propaganda to an American audience.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can’t believe Tucker fell for the old North Korean grocery story trick.

Wait no, actually I can believe it and think he’s totally complicit in trying to sell pro-Putin Russian propaganda to an American audience.

at least his intereview with him was more of a joke for him and Putin :> Putin completly ignored or rejected all of tuckers lies and made his own, and spent half the time insulting tucker.

Upvote 0