Arizona
✟6,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I can't stop thinking about the moral decline America has gone through since World War II, and how the church may be responsible at least in part for it. America was founded as a deeply religious country, and somehow we (the church) have allowed a pretty devout country (at least in its founding) over 250 years, to become perhaps the most degenerate society since the classical Greek and Roman cultures.

I do think that any country which experiences the sort of economic blessings and upward mobility that America has given people for the last 70 years is going to become decadent. In that, I don't think it's a uniquely American thing. We are the most prosperous country in the history of mankind when you consider the opportunities that people have had, both native born people and people who have come here, have experienced.

Perhaps Christians in America are not so bad in that any nation which experiences our kind of prosperity will naturally become materialistic and worldly, and will probably subvert evangelization and witnessing to others about Christ to more immediate economic concerns, opportunities, and increased avenues for pleasure, which our media system has certainly given us. Additionally, the fact that evangelicals in particular, who form a great percentage of the church as it is portrayed in American popular culture, always seem like they want to fit in and be "relatable" to unbelievers in their messaging (I'm talking about churches and ministries, not necessarily the people who attend those churches) in order to win them explains why those same religions are rejected by most people.

I also don't think people see enough light shining from us as a whole. If people want a religion, which very often they don't in America (for the very same reasons that Christians become lukewarm) they want one that clearly is producing fruit in the lives of those who adhere to it.

I don't think that the Christian faith does well in times of prosperity. In ancient days, Rome was corrupt, and the Christians brought salt and light into it, whereas the exact reverse has occurred in America in the last 70 years or so. This seems to correspond almost perfectly with the rise of America as a world superpower following World War I and the industrial revolution before that, notwithstanding the Great Depression. I know there was slavery before all of that and it's not like America was ever a Christian utopia, but it wasn't as degenerate as now. What is concerning is that AI can end up turning even more people away from God, as they can try to become their own digital gods.

One could argue that it was the industrial revolution and the increased opportunity for wealth and pleasure that compromised the church, especially after World War II, coupled with the vapid nature of modern evangelical religion and public indifference and mistrust towards traditional (in this case, Catholic) religion that explains why America is such a profoundly declining and irreligious nation.

It seems like unbelieving America has rejected evangelical Protestantism because it sees no fruit, because it is in love with sin and with the devil (there are so many opportunities in America to worship the devil and his fruits), there's not enough contrast between evangelical religion and the world, and Catholicism is not a viable alternative to many unchurched people because having a religion that is perceived as restrictive, formal, and rigid is the last thing they are wanting. I mean, if Protestant evangelical preaching was compelling at all, I think droves of people would sign up, because having a "personal" religion ("relationship") with God apart from any membership to a church is about as appealing a concept as an American would be willing to accept.

I would like to get opinions from those who have tracked with this post (sorry!) on whether the church's failure in America in the last 70 years is due to economics, spirituality, both, or factors I am not taking into account?

I personally believe that there's only two religions that have the power to stop the tide of evil in America currently. One is Eastern Orthodoxy and the other is Islam. My first reason for thinking that is the counties where these religions are practiced by the majority of people are not suffering the same problems as the U.S. I don't see the same culture in Romania, Iraq, Russia, the Baltic countries, or Saudi Arabia that I see in America. That has to say either that the religions are more reverent, which stems the tide of evil, or that those countries are simply better off morally because they haven't been exposed to so much wealth. Maybe both.

The second reason I believe that only Eastern Orthodoxy or Islam can stem the tide of evil in America is because I know firsthand that these religions are highly reverent towards God, whether or not you believe in their specific tenets. There is no question when you enter a mosque or a divine liturgy that there is a great sense of reverence towards God and the things of God, and that is precisely the thing that would be needed to change the spiritual landscape in America. Add to that that I think evangelical and Catholic religion are simply too familiar to most unbelievers. All of them know evangelicals and Catholics personally and not enough of them know that we are different enough from them to actually offer them anything they don't already have through their worship of wealth and opportunity.

Personally, I think unbelievers in America would need to be exposed to something totally different in order to change. One thing you can say about Eastern Orthodoxy and Islam is that the way they dress and the way they gesture and the way they live are things that can be tangibly observed, noticed, and appreciated, even if one doesn't agree. When you look at these groups, you can tell that their faith is something that actually impacts their day to day lives. Maybe that is the religion, even beyond Orthodoxy or Islam, that America needs.

That being said, I have no plans to convert to Islam, but I appreciate the sincerity of their faith and devotion. I am looking into Orthodoxy!

har_habayit

Sep 20, 2023
Arizona
✟6,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am unable to edit my post, but I had one more thought. If economic prosperity, opportunity and abundance of idolatry options is really the reason for the failure of the church to actively stem the tide of evil, more than the failure of the church itself, than the other thing that could potentially lead to mass acceptance of religion and societal change could be the collapse of America economically. Many of us know from our personal lives that we only turned to God when things got really bad. If America had the rug pulled out from underneath it and had to start eating bugs overnight, maybe the attitude would change without even needing to change faith expressions. However, in the book of Revelation, we see that the majority of humanity curses God despite the plagues falling from heaven being clear proof of his existence. So, it can go either way!

Upvote 0

John Helpher

John 3:16
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
There is no question when you enter a mosque or a divine liturgy that there is a great sense of reverence towards God and the things of God, and that is precisely the thing that would be needed to change the spiritual landscape in America.
Actually, there is a lot of question. Even before the first temple, David explained to God that he wanted to build a magnificent temple for him. You can practically hear the incredulity in God's voice when he replies, "The whole world is my footstool, and you want to build me a house?"

In other words, God was trying to get him to see the danger in man building religious structures, because invariably they will make it more about themselves and the works of their own hands. But, God gave David a chance anyway (though he decreed that it should be Solomon who builds the temple).

And, sure enough, the people came to have zero respect for the temple as a place of reverence and respect for God. When the disciples pointed out to Jesus all the marvellous features of the temple (probably thinking the same thing you explained in your post about how people reverence God through these ornate decorations), rather than agree with them about the majesty of the temple, he seemed to actually disdain it a bit when saying that there would not be a single stone which will not be thrown down.

When a Samaritan woman wanted to argue with him about who has the most right to the special land, Jesus told her that a time was coming when God would no longer care about temples or special landmarks. He said that true worshippers will worship God in spirit and in truth.

When Jesus said on the cross, "It is finished", that exact moment was also marked by God himself miraculously tearing the thick curtain which separated the holy of holies from the rest of the temple. This was the place that men would go to to offer sacrifice to God and if he wasn't pure before God he'd be zapped dead.

Over and over again Jesus warned against trusting in these physical things as signs of righteousness. It didn't work with the temple and it won't work with church buildings, either, no matter how ornately and religiously they are decorated. God doesn't care about temples and churches. In the revelation the people of God are referred to as "the holy city". The people are the church and our guide is the teachings of Jesus.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can't stop thinking about the moral decline America has gone through since World War II, and how the church may be responsible at least in part for it. America was founded as a deeply religious country, and somehow we (the church) have allowed a pretty devout country (at least in its founding) over 250 years, to become perhaps the most degenerate society since the classical Greek and Roman cultures.

That is one view of this history. Another view is the US has been degenerate from the beginning by enslaving people of African descent and the near genocide of native peoples. Was the church complicit in those degenerate actions? Yes.

I agree that there needs to be something totally different. The decline among church institutions is probably a good thing. This is especially the case since so many have wed their faith with their political identity. We need quality not quantity. Let the churches die so genuine followers of Christ can rise above the facade. I think the age of the institutional church is ending, and that's a good thing. God is doing something new. It will resemble what came before, since Christ is stil Lord, but it will be more genuine, more Christ-like and less like the world.

Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the problem with America, as it with the Western world, is that we mostly have it too easy as Christians. We don't have to face persecution, prison, people trying to kill us. Of couse there are some cases in Western world, but not many. Look at how tough Christianity has it in East and also the Muslim countries. When my dad was in China, the local Christians did not have a church to worship. Every Sunday they had to worship somewhere else, not knowing where they would be next Sunday. My dad told me once they had to worship in a construction building. If they were caught worshipping the God of the Bible, they would face jail minimum. My dad also told me how the Christians cried during the worship that they don't want to live in this sinful world anymore and they want to be with the Lord. I never seen that anywhere in the West.

I myself never faced persecution, so I cannot comment much, all I faced was laughing, shouting, swear words but that's nothing. But I do think Christians in the west will slowly but surely suffer more persecution, face job loss because of who we are, face prison because we reject homosexulity, transgederism etc. We should not be surpised when it happens. James in chapter 1 of his book said we should even rejoice when it happens.

Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The message that Christianity has adopted is fatally flawed

"Humanity deserves to die because a fallen angel got two people to eat from a tree and as a result was made a god"
And what should the message be?

Is it not the good news of the gospel? Christ crucified and resurracted?

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So is everything the churches fault in regard to how Christian things are not well received. I'm sure there's many things you could point to as deficiencies in how Christians live out their lives but not exclusively. As far as North American Christians there's a lot of different dynamics taking place. We live in a culture where there is much worldly pleasurer and things which serve as a distraction pulling saints away from diligent devotion.....you have so many different types of entertainment, movies, sports, TV shows, sensual pleasures of any type.

In many countries and in times past you had none of this or certainly not as much. When a coming together for meetings was announced whole towns would come out and want to be a part. People would say are you going to the big meeting tonight. People have big screen TV's now giving them high quality entertainment things right in their home. no desire to even go outside to plant a garden.

Reactions: Hvizsgyak
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I do think that any country which experiences the sort of economic blessings and upward mobility that America has given people for the last 70 years is going to become decadent. In that, I don't think it's a uniquely American thing. We are the most prosperous country in the history of mankind when you consider the opportunities that people have had, both native born people and people who have come here, have experienced.

Perhaps Christians in America are not so bad in that any nation which experiences our kind of prosperity will naturally become materialistic and worldly, and will probably subvert evangelization and witnessing to others about Christ to more immediate economic concerns, opportunities, and increased avenues for pleasure, which our media system has certainly given us. Additionally, the fact that evangelicals in particular, who form a great percentage of the church as it is portrayed in American popular culture, always seem like they want to fit in and be "relatable" to unbelievers in their messaging (I'm talking about churches and ministries, not necessarily the people who attend those churches) in order to win them explains why those same religions are rejected by most people.

I also don't think people see enough light shining from us as a whole. If people want a religion, which very often they don't in America (for the very same reasons that Christians become lukewarm) they want one that clearly is producing fruit in the lives of those who adhere to it.

I don't think that the Christian faith does well in times of prosperity. In ancient days, Rome was corrupt, and the Christians brought salt and light into it, whereas the exact reverse has occurred in America in the last 70 years or so. This seems to correspond almost perfectly with the rise of America as a world superpower following World War I and the industrial revolution before that, notwithstanding the Great Depression. I know there was slavery before all of that and it's not like America was ever a Christian utopia, but it wasn't as degenerate as now. What is concerning is that AI can end up turning even more people away from God, as they can try to become their own digital gods.

One could argue that it was the industrial revolution and the increased opportunity for wealth and pleasure that compromised the church, especially after World War II, coupled with the vapid nature of modern evangelical religion and public indifference and mistrust towards traditional (in this case, Catholic) religion that explains why America is such a profoundly declining and irreligious nation.

It seems like unbelieving America has rejected evangelical Protestantism because it sees no fruit, because it is in love with sin and with the devil (there are so many opportunities in America to worship the devil and his fruits), there's not enough contrast between evangelical religion and the world, and Catholicism is not a viable alternative to many unchurched people because having a religion that is perceived as restrictive, formal, and rigid is the last thing they are wanting. I mean, if Protestant evangelical preaching was compelling at all, I think droves of people would sign up, because having a "personal" religion ("relationship") with God apart from any membership to a church is about as appealing a concept as an American would be willing to accept.

I would like to get opinions from those who have tracked with this post (sorry!) on whether the church's failure in America in the last 70 years is due to economics, spirituality, both, or factors I am not taking into account?

I personally believe that there's only two religions that have the power to stop the tide of evil in America currently. One is Eastern Orthodoxy and the other is Islam. My first reason for thinking that is the counties where these religions are practiced by the majority of people are not suffering the same problems as the U.S. I don't see the same culture in Romania, Iraq, Russia, the Baltic countries, or Saudi Arabia that I see in America. That has to say either that the religions are more reverent, which stems the tide of evil, or that those countries are simply better off morally because they haven't been exposed to so much wealth. Maybe both.

The second reason I believe that only Eastern Orthodoxy or Islam can stem the tide of evil in America is because I know firsthand that these religions are highly reverent towards God, whether or not you believe in their specific tenets. There is no question when you enter a mosque or a divine liturgy that there is a great sense of reverence towards God and the things of God, and that is precisely the thing that would be needed to change the spiritual landscape in America. Add to that that I think evangelical and Catholic religion are simply too familiar to most unbelievers. All of them know evangelicals and Catholics personally and not enough of them know that we are different enough from them to actually offer them anything they don't already have through their worship of wealth and opportunity.

Personally, I think unbelievers in America would need to be exposed to something totally different in order to change. One thing you can say about Eastern Orthodoxy and Islam is that the way they dress and the way they gesture and the way they live are things that can be tangibly observed, noticed, and appreciated, even if one doesn't agree. When you look at these groups, you can tell that their faith is something that actually impacts their day to day lives. Maybe that is the religion, even beyond Orthodoxy or Islam, that America needs.

That being said, I have no plans to convert to Islam, but I appreciate the sincerity of their faith and devotion. I am looking into Orthodoxy!

.... any nation (or mass grouping of people) that believes resorting to "revolution" provides a solid answer to political or domestic troubles has problems from the get go, even 'if' that nation is "religious." Moral problems in our nation were already out and about well before the time of the end of WW 2. So, don't limit your historical considerations here.

Where there's an affirmed sense of Enlightened revolutionary response, there's a deeper, older moral corruption ...

Furthermore, a lot of what passes for "religion" in the U.S. has been more or less led on by various states of anti-intellectualism. It's nothing new or peculiar to the coming of the Baby Boomer generation. To see this, you might pick up a copy of Richard Hofstadter's book, Anti-intellectualism in American Life (1963).

You can follow this up with Os Guinness's book, Fit Bodies, Fat Minds: Why Evangelicals Don't Think and What To Do About It (1994). Guiness essentially looks at what Hofstadter did, but from a Christian angle.

As for Orthodoxy, that old flame won't do any more for the U.S. than it ever has for Russia. So, don't count on it to help us out.

And as for the other, 3rd option for "religious recovery" you gave, Islam ................................................. I'm not even going to touch that. The reasons why I won't should be somewhat obvious.

Last edited:
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Honestly I think people overestimate the morality of America’s history. We’re just now finally getting to where the majority of Americans aren’t racists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

I have a few things to say.

First, I don't think the USA was ever a fully virtuous Christian nation. Yes, there was something there but slavery and the genocide of the Native Americans indicate that it wasn't wonderful. We shouldn't look to the times of 200 or 100 years ago as utopian. Things may be in decline now, but there was no pinnacle we are falling from.

Second, prosperity means more distractions. Not that one needs to be poor to be Christian. I have an interesting but probably not provable supposition that TV, just the screen being on, grabs something in our brains. We all are rich enough to own TVs, often very big screen TVs, and now carry around little pocket screens and gaze lovingly at them wherever we are. Even if screens aren't the cause, just the lure of consumerism has a real effect. It's not everything, but it's something.

Third, there has been a sexual revolution. It started out in vanguard form 100 years ago and now we all, those few who have not embraced the new ways, live in fear of the woke steamroller. Christianity once stood for a particular sexual morality. Now it's only pockets within Christianity. To be true to the whole history of Christianity would be to stand against contemporary sexual understandings. Not many dare to do that, but the loss is that traditional Christian anthropology is for the most part lost.

Fourth, I have never considered evangelicals to have sufficient staying power as a group. Some of them seem quite ready to join the culture. The rest seem quite ready to fracture into insignificance. Some real good there but not the staying power.

Fifth, the Catholics are a mixed bag. They had what you are looking for. But they also wanted to be accepted and sold out most of their colleges and universities to the culture with their Land O Lakes statement where Catholic university presidents, to gain wider acceptance, minimized their Catholic identities. Most of them are now functionally secular. The good news is that large handfuls of Catholic colleges have bucked this trend. For example, Franciscan in Stubenville was a secularized and shrinking place until Fr. Michael Scanlan decided to try being deliberately Catholic. That success has been replicated in dozens of other places like Ave Maria in FL, Benedictine in KS, and Christendom in VA (?).

Catholics also have a huge record of clergy sexual abuse, mostly against adolescent boys. Sexual abuse has lately been 'discovered' among the Baptists and the rotten little secret is that it is all over the society, among Boy Scouts and in public schools and in every mainstream or evangelical or Orthodox group there is. Catholic clergy sexual abuse is infamous, but sadly it is not unique or even most of it. Good that it is being rooted out but it has been a huge blow to Catholic confidence. It is being a huge blow to Baptist confidence. It will be a huge blow to evangelical and Orthodox confidence.

Continuing with the mixed bag of Catholicism, there is a mix of vitality in some pockets and decline in others. The traditionalists fare well, the charismatic Catholics fare well, the cafeteria Catholics fare poorly. Some parishes do thrive. Many are all but closed, and will soon be closed. There are new priests, and most of them are serious believing Catholics. But then the ranks of bishops and even cardinals are heavy with folks who seem to be either careerists or part of the problem. The best of bishops are not made cardinals and the worst are made cardinals. Then there is politics. Catholics have traditionally been Democrats in the USA. Think Al Smith. But many are shifting, and some are very MAGA. I wish they would dump both of the big parties, but at present they are split among those parties, and their party affiliation often says more about them then their religion.

What I do as a Catholic is to promote Bible study, study of the catechism, prayer and adoration, the reading of old classics of the faith including the Fathers, to encourage good liturgy and revival of good old music at the liturgies, and to encourage openness to our evangelical and Orthodox brothers and sisters for the selfish reason that we need them as much as they need us.

Sixth, Islam seems like a possible way of standing against the culture. I have lived for a few years in a solidly Muslim culture. So I see what you say. BUT when Muslims come to America there is a very strong secularizing influence, with many maintaining some trappings of Islam but looking not that different from the rest of the culture. Maybe if they get to critical mass they can take over and lay down the law and reverse secularization by government mandate, as soon may be happening in some countries in Europe. In the mean time, in some situations but not in others they can be our allies. And I also think Islam could gain adherents from former Christians if they get to critical mass.

Seventh, you mentioned Orthodoxy. I too hope they can do something. But they are too small at the moment and not growing in the USA. My hope is that they and the faithful Catholics could get along enough to form a unified front. Maybe with some evangelicals to boot. I just don't see that happening as they are more at war within their separate branches and don't seem ready or able to consider ending a 1000 year schism in my lifetime.

I'm not an optimist. But I do see within Catholicism many of the elements that will be needed to make a difference for America. That, with Orthodoxy and some evangelicals walking in the same direction, is my slim hope for any revival. I don't quite see it happening soon. So in the mean time I try to prepare those around me for more cultural slide, hoping that in pockets here and there we survive so maybe some day we can emerge to reclaim the wasteland of current American culture. That or to be ready for the second coming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's not Christianity's goal or job to save anyone's nostalgic imagining of the United States, a country which did not even exist 300 years ago. Thatis not why our Lord was incarnate. I'm not going to say that American Christianity doesn't have tons of problems, but a lot of these have more to do with America's specific approach to Christianity and the types of Christianity that predominate in the USA than with Christianity itself as a thing.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,311.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are the most prosperous country in the history of mankind when you consider the opportunities that people have had, both native born people and people who have come here, have experienced.
USA ranks 20th.

America is constantly being overrated or underrated by many Americans. Even though common Americans are quite religious, compared to other countries, this religiosity is frequently misused and abused by those in power. The past of the USA is also neither Christian-like nor nice. Actually worse than of many other countries. However, USA had and have some periods or areas in which they shined and significantly helped the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It was never going to be about numbers. The way is narrow and few find it. Jesus said so.

13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it. (emphasis mine) Matthew 7: 12-14

• Winner
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,054.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

It all started when they took the lands from the Native Americans through deception and by force.

The church supported it and its idea of Christianization was also "Westernization" who in those days were like the Pharisees in the time of Jesus....Making their converts twice the child of hell..

Before WW2 and many decades after, you have rampant racism and then slavery before that.

I don't think there's ever a time that America isn't evil. It's always been evil. The thief who steals, kills, and destroy.

Reactions: okay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Since America is clearly a pluralistic society we need to be promoting values and virtues that are universally admired.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It's not Christianity's goal or job to save anyone's nostalgic imagining of the United States, a country which did not even exist 300 years ago. Thatis not why our Lord was incarnate. I'm not going to say that American Christianity doesn't have tons of problems, but a lot of these have more to do with America's specific approach to Christianity and the types of Christianity that predominate in the USA than with Christianity itself as a thing.

The problem of American Christianity isn't that it's Christianity, it's that it's American.

That might ruffle some feathers. But it's been said that a religion that can't laugh at itself is a cult; and I'd add a nation that cannot criticize itself is in trouble.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are Orthodox sub forums Eastern Orthodox (The Ancient Way or TAW) & Oriental Orthodox ( The Voice of the Desert) in the Christian communities section. Please do inquire; there is more activity in TAW although frequency varies. Fr Matt is very good & attentive to inquiries.

I just want to mention though that the same human situations exist in Orthodoxy as in other Christian believers. While my faith differs from Catholics & Protestants ( which has it’s own great variations), I believe they are fellow Christians and I wouldn’t tell a Christian seeker to avoid them. May God bless you in finding a home to worship the Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Thessalonians 5:15-22

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The problem of American Christianity isn't that it's Christianity, it's that it's American.

This is a better way to put it than I did. I guess I just didn't want to come across as 'anti-American', since I live here too.

Upvote 0

okay

Apr 10, 2023
New England
✟14,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private

That might ruffle some feathers. But it's been said that a religion that can't laugh at itself is a cult; and I'd add a nation that cannot criticize itself is in trouble.

-CryptoLutheran
Most insightful post I have read on any site in a long time.

Thank you!

Upvote 0