Why does God not stop the evil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elioenai26

There is one common question which is often posed as an objection to God's omnibenevolence and that is the question: "why does God not prevent or stop the evil in the world?"

"Why does God not stop all the child molestors and rapists and murderers, why does God not stop this or prevent that or do this or that...."

These types of questions, surprisingly are raised by many atheists. But I find it ironic that the few instance in which we see God acting to stop and to prevent such heinous acts in the Bible, these same objectors claim that God was wrong in in stopping these people!

On one hand, God is blamed for tolerating evil, and on the other hand when He is shown to act in judgment on people who commit such atrocities, He is branded as being a murderer and genocidal!

If there were known to us today, to be civilizations and societies in existence that behaved the way the Canaanites, Amorites and Amalekites, did in making it a regular practice to offer their newborn babies and young children on fiery pagan altars to gods, atheists would be among the many to cry out: "If God exists, then why does He not stop these atrocities!"

Yet, in cases where it is clear that this was happening, when God does act, He is judged as being a genocidal murderer!

It seems to me that the qualm with God is not that He does not act to judge sin, but that He indeed does exist and holds us morally accountable for our sins. It is evidently clear, that in some people's eyes (those who lack belief in God) that whatever God does, He fails to meet their moral standards. Which is ironic, for if there is no objective moral standard, then all we have is opinions, none being any closer to the non-existent standard than any other. And the opinion that God was somehow wrong in ordering the children to be killed is no closer to adhering to this non-existent moral standard than the opinion that God, since He is the author and giver of life, was justified in taking that life.

So what is the objection?

tonybeer

Dec 20, 2012
✟15,739.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is one common question which is often posed as an objection to God's omnibenevolence and that is the question: "why does God not prevent or stop the evil in the world?"

"Why does God not stop all the child molestors and rapists and murderers, why does God not stop this or prevent that or do this or that...."

These types of questions, surprisingly are raised by many atheists. But I find it ironic that the few instance in which we see God acting to stop and to prevent such heinous acts in the Bible, these same objectors claim that God was wrong in in stopping these people!

On one hand, God is blamed for tolerating evil, and on the other hand when He is shown to act in judgment on people who commit such atrocities, He is branded as being a murderer and genocidal!

If there were known to us today, to be civilizations and societies in existence that behaved the way the Canaanites, Amorites and Amalekites, did in making it a regular practice to offer their newborn babies and young children on fiery pagan altars to gods, atheists would be among the many to cry out: "If God exists, then why does He not stop these atrocities!"

Yet, in cases where it is clear that this was happening, when God does act, He is judged as being a genocidal murderer!

If this was happening today genocide still wouldn't be the answer. Even after the atrocities of WW2 in Germany, it wouldn't have been right to commit genocide on the all the Germans as punishment.

Upvote 0
E

Elioenai26

If this was happening today genocide still wouldn't be the answer. Even after the atrocities of WW2 in Germany, it wouldn't have been right to commit genocide on the all the Germans as punishment.

If Nazi Germany had been killing Jews and sacrificing their children to the gods they worshipped for 400 years after having been warned that their continual disregard for the sanctity of life would be judged, and if they grew all the more obstinate and even encouraged the countries around them to do what they did, and if you and your family were affected directly by the atrocities committed by this society, I assure you, your attitude would be different.

In your statement you also allude to what would be right as opposed to what would be wrong. On what basis are you distinguishing between right and wrong? What standard are you appealing to?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟31,103.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
<snip>
"Just a character in a book" comes to mind. That would explain the rest of it.

Upvote 0

tonybeer

Dec 20, 2012
✟15,739.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
If Nazi Germany had been killing Jews and sacrificing their children to the gods they worshipped for 400 years after having been warned that their continual disregard for the sanctity of life would be judged, and if they grew all the more obstinate and even encouraged the countries around them to do what they did, and if you and your family were affected directly by the atrocities committed by this society, I assure you, your attitude would be different.

In your statement you also allude to what would be right as opposed to what would be wrong. On what basis are you distinguishing between right and wrong? What standard are you appealing to?

So what you are saying is genocide is fine? There would still be innocent people.

Any society that was that messed up and full of evil that would "deserve" genocide could not possibly exist as a society.

Right and wrong as by my own moral standards. Doesn't God also command thou shalt not kill, so this would be a Christian standard of morality too.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well I would except many atheists seem some middle ground between allowing anything (human and natural evil), and killing everyone.

For a start, stop earthquakes and tornadoes, etc. Stop crazy virus', bacteria, and diseases. If a child falls off a cliff, catch them. If someone is hurt, heal them.

As for human evils; why not stop the bullet, or make someones body uncuttable. Make the rapist fall asleep, or lose control of his body.

There would be many creative way to stop the worst evils, which don't involve striking the criminal dead.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟31,103.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married

These types of questions, surprisingly are raised by many atheists.
Many theists, too.
But I find it ironic that the few instance in which we see God acting to stop and to prevent such heinous acts in the Bible, these same objectors claim that God was wrong in in stopping these people!<snip>
Do the actions of these child molesters, rapists, and murderers preclude them from entering heaven? Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

This is a fundamental difference of morality between the religious and the atheist.

Religious people derive their morality from their religious text

Atheists derive their morality from logical deduction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If you really want to expand your mind, there is a terrific sci-fi philosophical book that really answers the OP's question well...

The Worthing Chronicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OSCWorthingChronicle.jpg

Seriously, you want to really have a great feel for OP's question. Read this book.

It will expand your mind as well as entertain the absolute hell out of you...

Lastly, to answer OP's question. You can't have good without evil. You can't have sound without silence. You can't have light without dark...

Just the way the universe works.

Upvote 0

Mr. Pedantic

Jul 13, 2011
Auckland
✟9,178.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

False dichotomy. Saying these are the only options open to the Christian God is preposterous.

On a related topic, how does this compare to God's treatment of Egypt? How is it okay when God kills children?

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Why does God not stop the evil?

So what is the objection?
That´s not my question. My question would be:
"Why did God - hypothetically assuming for a moment such exists - create a world with (the potential for) evil (i.e. stuff this God doesn´t like), in the first place?"

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
But he isn´t. If you want the opinion of the person in your scenario you would have to ask that person.

Genocide as an act to preserve/restore the "sanctity of life"? Sounds funny.

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Lastly, to answer OP's question. You can't have good without evil. You can't have sound without silence. You can't have light without dark...

Just the way the universe works.
So apparently God wanted there to be good and evil. The strange thing, though, is that God is complaining when He gets what He wants.

You know, I have no problem accepting that the universe works the way it does. It´s not until I´m told that it´s the intended product of an omnibenevolent CreatorGod that I start asking "Why?".
It´s the prime example for my main issue with religion/theology: At best, it answers questions that wouldn´t be there without it, in the first place (and most of the time it does not even manage to do that).

Another point: You can, practically, have sound without silence (you just can´t have a concept of sound without having a concept of silence). Actually, we never encounter and have never encountered complete silence.

Lastly: Had God created the world without the possibility of the most extreme cases of "evil", concepts of "good/evil" would still be possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker

One would expect an omnipotent omniscient God to have other means of intervention than genocide to his disposal, and one would expect an omnibenevolent God to make use of them (instead of applying methods which he minself has decided to be "objectively evil").
Allegedly, God was capable of "hardening Pharao´s heart". It would have to be explained why "softening people´s hearts" is apparently not within his capabilities as a means of crisis management.

Upvote 0

Jun 27, 2012
✟7,780.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Genocide as an act to preserve/restore the "sanctity of life"? Sounds funny.
To be fair to religious people....created beings saying they know of better alternatives despite their lack of scope must sound funny to God.

As per the genocide issue, it's hard to say. After all, none so far (as far as this thread is concerned) have posited evidence to support their theories but rather have tried to solve the issue based on assumption alone.

The following is me merely throwing out questions for those interested in pursuing a deeper understanding of the topic in concern. They are as follows in no specific order:

1.) What words were used to describe what God and Israel were to do with the nation(s) in question. This is an important one since often times in ancient texts certain meanings are left out due to compatibility issues in translation

2.) who were the people that god wanted to "wipe out"? By this I mean culturally. What did they do/practice etc. What possible actions merited this genocide from a biblical perspective?

3.) What other cases are there in the Biblical record of genocide? Do they have a pattern? If so what? Comparative analysis will come into play.

4.) does extra-biblical data support any of the ideas proposed?

5.) Did God really command Israel to do this or did they just invent divine authority to back up their atrocities?

Just some questions to consider on one's pursuit of understanding in this matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.