Why do We have to put up with tares among the wheat and goats among the sheep in The Church ?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why one cannot have a passion for Orthodoxy without being considered “hyperdox”?

"hyperdoxy" isn't about being passionate about the Church, it's about when your love of the Church overrides your love of others.

Elder Cleopa of Romania was very different when he spoke to Protestant missionaries who tried to brow beat the Orthodox to convert, than when he spoke to Protestant missionaries who genuinely wanted to talk and learn.

Upvote 0

Lady Donna Marie

Jan 10, 2020
South
✟15,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Our true calling is to spread love among us even if it means amongst those we struggle with. So may we be a blessing to those around us that they will see Christ in us and want more of Him and vice versa.

Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,

Christ in the heart of every one who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me.
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.

This comes from the Saint Patrick Breastplate prayer.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Our true calling is to spread love among us even if it means amongst those we struggle with. So may we be a blessing to those around us that they will see Christ in us and want more of Him and vice versa.

Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,

Christ in the heart of every one who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me.
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.

This comes from the Saint Patrick Breastplate prayer.
One of my favorite western prayers; St Patrick pray for us!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think you meant "midst" instead of "mist" :sorry:.....sounds like Lord of the Rings----the Misty Mountains!

I'm wondering what the rest of the forum uses, but in our Serbian Church right now because of Theophany, it is "God is revealed" to which we respond, "indeed He is revealed."

I know some communions say, "Christ is Baptized" and some say, "in the Jordan!" Something like that....

Christ is in our mist!
It's nice to chat with other Orthodox on here. I'm beginning to get a taste of how the Protestants differ from us.
I've been Orthodox for 33 years this coming March and it's an eye opener. Orthodox all the way. Nice to meet all of you.
In Christ,
Donna

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering what the rest of the forum uses, but in our Serbian Church right now because of Theophany, it is "God is revealed" to which we respond, "indeed He is revealed."

I know some communions say, "Christ is Baptized" and some say, "in the Jordan!" Something like that....

Christ is baptized!
In the Jordan by John!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I say that prayer often, but for the world. Love it too!

It's actually not western since Saint Patrick was Orthodox. It wasn't until the split of the Roman seat from the Orthodox Church that the Roman seat became Catholic and that was in 1054AD. After that time any saint that was in the jurisdiction of the Roman seat became Catholic.
It’s still western, and even Roman. St Patrick was a Roman, Ireland is in the west, and the bishop of Rome was the patriarch of the western world. (I have heard that the British Isles were independent of Rome and not subject to the Pope of Rome, but I’ve also heard that he was the ruling hierarch — but either way... I stand by my sentiment)

But yes, it is also Orthodox, being a pre-schism saint and prayer. We’re in agreement there!

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
(Orthodox Only Please)

I wanted to ask why do we have to put up with tares among the wheat and goats among the sheep even with in Orthodoxy.

Why doesn't The Lord drive these people out ?

Another question I have is why does The Holy Spirit show us who people really are but yet we still have to deal with them and put up with their deception and evil ?
Because those are the people who may need the Church the most.

I'm going to relay an important story I heard from Abbot Tryphon that really changed how I think.
There was once a monk in a monastery who was not a good monk. He could not do anything right. He was late to services. He ruined the food when it was his turn to cook. He lost all the sheep because he fell asleep while watching them. His cassock was a mess; even his work cassock was in awful condition. He was awkward around visitors. He always messed up making a prayer rope. He could only sing in tones 9-12 being suuuuper off key. He made mistakes whenever he served in the Liturgy. He broke the fast a few times and had even tried to sneak a sausage into his cell during Great Lent. He just could not be a good monk! This went on for years!
When it was getting to the end of this poor monk's life, the rest of the brotherhood gathered in his cell as he lay on his deathbed. As the rest of the brotherhood was praying over him, a choir of angels appeared and sang the Trisagion over his deathbed! Wow! But, the rest of the brotherhood was upset; why did this sorry excuse of a monk get a choir of angels at his deathbed, this makes no sense! They asked the angels why they were there for this awful awful monk? They listed his faults and asked, why? One of the angels turned to the monk and said to tell them why. The monk said, "When I first came to this monastery, I was a young man who wanted to serve God. After the first week, I realized it would not be an easy life here and I wouldn't be perfect. So, I decided that I would never judge anyone ever again for the rest of my life because that would probably be the only way I would be able to go to heaven." The angels told the other monks, "That is why the Lord sent us to his deathbed." And with that, the monk fell asleep.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It’s still western, and even Roman. St Patrick was a Roman, Ireland is in the west, and the bishop of Rome was the patriarch of the western world. (I have heard that the British Isles were independent of Rome and not subject to the Pope of Rome, but I’ve also heard that he was the ruling hierarch — but either way... I stand by my sentiment)

But yes, it is also Orthodox, being a pre-schism saint and prayer. We’re in agreement there!
There was definitely a different life up there than the rest of Western Europe. For example, Irish monks had very long hair with a ring shaved around their had; kind of like a reverse Franciscan style tonsure. I believe the British Isles even had their own Liturgy as well. The book "How the Irish Saved Civilization" talks about how the Irish monasteries copied and translated the Greek and Roman Classics.

I think by the time of the Norman Conquest, Christianity in the British Isles had definitely taken on a life of it's own. Part of why the Pope blessed William the Bastard's conquest was to bring the Isles into conformity with the rest of the Roman Church at large.

• Informative
Reactions: AMM
Upvote 0