Why do some want to believe in Purgatory - even though it is against the Bible?

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟376,565.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Some kind of purification is consistent with the Christian life, even after we depart this one, perhaps. Beyond that, I believe alot of the traditional Catholic attitudes towards Purgatory are speculation.
This is a statement I can get behind 100%. Lots of people's conceptions of Purgatory are mistaken. But what the Church teaches is not. It's not about days and weeks and years burning,etc. It's about purification before entering heaven.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some kind of purification is consistent with the Christian life, even after we depart this one, perhaps. Beyond that, I believe alot of the traditional Catholic attitudes towards Purgatory are speculation.

I'm pleased to agree with this.

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives

A speculative "Evangelical Catholic"? I like that...

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We know Christ instituted one Church, so there can't be Churches. God will reunify us when he sees fit. He already does so in heaven. All those in heaven are part of the one Church Christ founded, completely and perfectly fulfilled.
Indeed, one heavenly Church.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I still have yet to see any proof of the title of this thread-that Purgatory is against the Bible...

1. It is not taught in the Bible.
2. No "bank of excess suffering" for saints to hand out pardons to other saints who have died -- in the Bible.
3. No "saved Christians have died and need your help to get them out of purgatory early so they don't have to endure it all" in the Bible.
the entire system is made up -- for those using a "Sola Scriptura" test of doctrine.

But more than that - it implies that there is either a debt of punishment owed - or there is sanctification incomplete and that the one who has died must be more-sanctified in character before they were fit for heaven. But Heb 9 says "it is appointed unto man once to die AND THEN comes the judgment" not "and then comes more time for punishment and sanctification to purge away more character flaws".

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟56,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Heb 9 says "it is appointed unto man once to die AND THEN comes the judgment" not "and then comes more time for punishment and sanctification to purge away more character flaws".
1 Cor 3:15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved--even though only as one escaping through the flames.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
This is a statement I can get behind 100%. Lots of people's conceptions of Purgatory are mistaken. But what the Church teaches is not. It's not about days and weeks and years burning,etc. It's about purification before entering heaven.
The idea of purification is not at all Scriptural. Christians are first justified through faith in Christ and then sanctified IN THIS LIFE through trials and chastisement. There is ZERO indication that those who die in Christ will need any kind of purification before entering heaven. Certainly, those in Christ as positionally already there.

Upvote 0

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
1 Cor 3:15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved--even though only as one escaping through the flames.
This passage is referring to works we did on earth either FOR the Lord or FOR ourselves. Only things we do for the Lord will have any weight in heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟56,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
This passage is referring to works we did on earth either FOR the Lord or FOR ourselves. Only things we do for the Lord will have any weight in heaven.
The point is that we go through a purgation after death, those of us that are saved, and it won't be a cake walk.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

1 Cor 3 never mentions purgatory.
1 Cor 3 never says the "person is burned"
1 Cor 3 never says "the person is burned up after they die"
1 Cor 3 says the foundation of the building is Christ and each builder -- evangelists - add via his own doctrine either gold and silver or hay and straw depending on whether the doctrine is good or bad.
1 Cor 3 says that bad doctrine is removed from that building - bad material in the form of inferior teaching of the evangelist.

That chapter never talks about the evangelist being burned in fire after they die and before they get to heaven.

Upvote 0