• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Why do some christians think that morals come from god?

Discussion in 'Exploring Christianity' started by workmx, Jul 21, 2014.

1. workmx

workmx Active Member

+2
    Agnostic
    Single
    I am laughed at your breach of Godwin's Law and that is all. :thumbsup:

2. Joshua260

Joshua260 Well-Known Member

+39
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    We can certainly go into Old Testament issues in another thread. And I wasn't going to address whether there is a divine being just yet. My only assertion so far is that there are objective moral values and duties.

But I noticed that you asked "Should it have ever been morally acceptable to kill people for working on the Sabbath, homosexuality, blasphemy, or kids who disobey their parents?" I take it then that you believe that this was wrong, no matter when or who might have believed it to be morally acceptable at one time, is that correct?

3. workmx

workmx Active Member

+2
    Agnostic
    Single
    Unless you were actually serious.

Was your post not a joke???

I misinterpreted it???

:confused::confused::confused:

4. dcalling

dcalling Senior Member

+305
    Non-Denom
    Married
    But no one can give evidence that there is nothing supernatural either.

Anyone can setup $2mil prize for prove of no supernatural too.
    That should make you an agnostic, not an atheist.

A lot evidence that God exists. No one is able to create a computer that have human level intelligence, Chicken or egg come first?

Every year I saw many Santa so you might be right :)

Unless you are a agnostic, you are also a claimant :)

5. workmx

workmx Active Member

+2
    Agnostic
    Single
    So why believe in the supernatural?

Indeed.

AFAIK they are not mutually exclusive.

That contradicts your first statement. God is supernatural (beyond natural) therefore there can be no evidence that gods exist.

Or do I have it wrong?

Indeed.

I have previously said that I have not seen any evidence for the existence of gods.

If that makes me agnostic, so be it.

Thnaks for letting me know myself better.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  6. Albion

Albion Factchecker

+31,926
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Fair enough, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the question of the thread, does it?

7. Lenny3

Lenny3 Junior Member

+1
    Humanist
    Private
    "Objective morals" don't make sense to me since morals change within any give culture dependent on the given time/place. Morals are subjective.

No, that is not correct. In this time and place, all of those things are morally reprehensible. In a different time and place, they were A-ok. I cannot project my modern morals onto those of the bronze-aged.

8. workmx

workmx Active Member

+2
    Agnostic
    Single
    I agree and I have asked numerous times that we get back on topic. :hug:

9. workmx

workmx Active Member

+2
    Agnostic
    Single
    Indeed, but we can recognise that their morality was underdeveloped compared to our own.

In fact, most religios people do this unconsciously.

Also because of that lack of development, we should disgard anything they they had to say on the topic.

This is the key step that I would like to see the religious take.

10. dcalling

dcalling Senior Member

+305
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Already explained to you in a prior post, computers, which you claim did not understand...

The evidence are auxiliary. Computer vs humans (as in prior post), chicken/egg, shorten of Y chromosome... All make that there are something supernatural very likely. especially human intelligence. We can do what natural can't do in millions of years, but if we humans with intelligence can't design something that are comparable to us, natural certainly can't either.

You are very welcome :)

11. workmx

workmx Active Member

+2
    Agnostic
    Single
    Isn't that just another way of saying: I don't know.

How do you get from "I don't know" to "God did it"?

12. dcalling

dcalling Senior Member

+305
    Non-Denom
    Married
    It is the very strong evidence. So scientists think there are black holes in the universe, they are not certain but they got some "side evidences" that they think can prove it. Does black holes exists? all they can say is "likely"

13. Albion

Albion Factchecker

+31,926
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Glad that someone else feels that way, too.

All that I'm reading about why we should believe in a god is off topic.

14. Lenny3

Lenny3 Junior Member

+1
    Humanist
    Private
    We can see massive gravitational pulls in the universe by observing flows in Redshift. That is evidence for black holes. I'm not sure you know what Black Holes are, but no matter your ignorance, they do exist... and there is a lot of evidence for them.

BTW - There is no "proof" in science. Science deals with facts and evidence. Proofs are for math.

15. Mcleanch1

Mcleanch1 Agnostic Secular Humanist

+0
    Agnostic
    Married
    US-Green
    Wonderfully said!

16. dcalling

dcalling Senior Member

+305
    Non-Denom
    Married
    There are a lot of evidences for them, but they are all theories, so even with strong evidences, you can only say that black holes very likely exists (note I didn't say they don't exist) due to observations and our current understanding of mass and gravity.

A claim that black holes do exist is just ... unscientific :)

17. workmx

workmx Active Member

+2
    Agnostic
    Single
    "Black holes" cannot be seen but the fact that they must exist is proved by, and even their mass can be measured by, the effect they have on other things.

AFAIK, there is not evidence of gods existing or even of them having an effect on anything.

18. workmx

workmx Active Member

+2
    Agnostic
    Single
    Do you know what theory means?

I doubt it.

19. workmx

workmx Active Member

+2
    Agnostic
    Single
    Indeed. And L3 beat me to it.

20. Harry3142

Harry3142 Regular Member

+199
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Republican
    In National Geographic's publication of June, 2011, There is an article entitled The Birth of Religion. In this article you will find basically the same ideas which I have already written in my previous messages. You may be able to read it at www.ngm.com. If not, most libraries in the USA have National Geographic on hand dating back that far.

Since that article was published there have been documentaries concerning Tobekli Tepe, the location in Turkey where the 12,000 year-old temple was discovered that dramatically altered the view of scientists concerning religion and its influence on civilization.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014