Seattle area.
✟638,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All you have to do is produce one verse that states we are to worship on the first day of the week. All there is are verses that the 7th day of the week is God's day. He created it, and the word "rest" is actually translated ceased in the original Hebrew.

2 and~he~will~much~FINISH(V) (וַיְכַל / wai'khal) Elohiym (אֱלֹהִים / e'lo'him) in~the~DAY (בַּיּוֹם / ba'yom) the~SEVENTH (הַשְּׁבִיעִי / hash'vi'i) BUSINESS~him (מְלַאכְתּוֹ / mê'lakh'to) WHICH (אֲשֶׁר / a'sher) he~did~DO(V) (עָשָׂה / a'sah) and~he~will~CEASE(V) (וַיִּשְׁבֹּת / wai'yish'bot) in~the~DAY (בַּיּוֹם / ba'yom) the~SEVENTH (הַשְּׁבִיעִי / hash'vi'i) from~ALL (מִכָּל / mi'kol) BUSINESS~him (מְלַאכְתּוֹ / mê'lakh'to) WHICH (אֲשֶׁר / a'sher) he~did~DO(V) (עָשָׂה / a'sah)

RMT: and Elohiym finished in the seventh day his business which he did, and he ceased in the seventh day from all his business which he did,

וַיִּשְׁבֹּת֙ vai·yish·bot (shabath) means to cease, desist, rest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟932,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
FACT.......The word SABBATH does not appear in the Garden of Eden!!!!

Ex 20:11 legal code summarized Gen 2:1-3 and states that it is in Eden where the Sabbath was set apart for mankind - sanctified - instituted

==========================

The word for 'rested' is "sabat" (Strongs 7673a- )used in connection with Sabbath - repeatedly in the OT. A religious act of worship/rest.

As in Exodus 16:30 "the people rested on the seventh day"

Note - 7676 Shabbath from 7673a = "Sabbath" - exclusively in scripture as we see it
in the summary of Exodus 20:8-11 where God summarizes the Gen 1-2:3
account.

Here God provides the authoritative example of rest and tells us this day is to be "set aside" - for it already has been - by God "sanctified".

John Wesley –

"The commencement of the kingdom of grace, in the sanctification of the Sabbath day, Genesis 2:3 . He rested on that day, and took a complacency in his creatures, and then sanctified it, and appointed us on that day to rest and take a complacency in the Creator; and his rest is in the fourth commandment made a reason for ours after six days labour. Observe, 1. That the solemn observation of one day in seven as a day of holy rest, and holy work, is the indispensable duty of all those to whom God has revealed his holy sabbaths. 2. That sabbaths are as ancient as the world. 3. That the Sabbath of the Lord is truly honorable, and we have reason to honour it; honour it for the sake of its antiquity, its great author, and the sanctification of the first Sabbath by the holy God himself, and in obedience to him, by our first parents in innocency.See note at "Ge 2:1 See note at "Ge 2:1

Matthew Henry Gen 2

"The eternal God, though infinitely happy in the enjoyment of himself, yet took a satisfaction in the work of his own hands. He did not rest, as one weary, but as one well-pleased with the instances of his own goodness and the manifestations of his own glory.II. The commencement of the kingdom of grace, in the sanctification of the sabbath day, v. 3. He rested on that day, and took a complacency in his creatures, and then sanctified it, and appointed us, on that day, to rest and take a complacency in the Creator; and his rest is, in the fourth commandment, made a reason for ours, after six days’ labour. Observe, 1. The solemn observance of one day in seven, as a day of holy rest and holy work, to God’s honour, is the indispensable duty of all those to whom God has revealed his holy sabbaths. 2. The way of sabbath-sanctification is the good old way, Jer. 6:16. Sabbaths are as ancient as the world; and I see no reason to doubt that the Sabbath, being now instituted in innocency, was religiously observed by the people of God throughout the patriarchal age. 3. The Sabbath of the Lord is truly honourable, and we have reason to honour it—honour it for the sake of its antiquity, its great Author, the sanctification of the first Sabbath by the holy God himself, and by our first parents in innocency, in obedience to him. 4. The Sabbath day is a blessed day, for God blessed it, and that which he blesses is blessed indeed. God has put an honour upon it, has appointed us, on that day, to bless him, and has promised, on that day, to meet us and bless us. 5. The Sabbath day is a holy day, for God has sanctified it. He has separated and distinguished it from the rest of the days of the week, and he has consecrated it and set it apart to himself and his own service and honour."

"Though it is commonly taken for granted that the Christian Sabbath we observe, reckoning from the creation, is not the seventh but the first day of the week, yet being a seventh day, and we in it, celebrating the rest of God the Son, and the finishing of the work of our redemption, we may and ought to act faith upon this original institution of the Sabbath day, and to commemorate the work of creation, to the honour of the great Creator, who is therefore worthy to receive, on that day, blessing, and honour, and praise, from all religious assemblies"

Last edited:
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟896,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tall I think this passage is the best case for the sabbath being the seal of God. The prophetic element of the Sabbath is in plain view. It is a sign of waiting for God to rule in Jerusalem rather then looking to the rules on earth to establish the Kingdom of God on earth by the state. God is restoring the his rule on the earth and sabbath is a sign of that.

Can you specify which text and point out where you see the Sabbath in it please? The quote included multiple texts.

Edit: Ah ok, you edited to indicate Isaiah 66.

How do you see the New Moon element of that?

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟896,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have and if you follow along on these conversations many of the SDA posters discuss how we are no longer under the obligation of meat and burnt offerings according to scriptures Hebrews 13: 9-12. Are you saying we are still required to offer animal sacrifices?

No, and I have seen the various discussions. I am just giving a tip. When you are talking to people who are not Adventist, make sure the evidence presented is that which directly applies.

Quoting a statement about the covenant with David does not in fact tell us whether the Sabbath is still to be observed, for instance.

You don't think every law is to be observed currently. So don't use texts to try to say that every command and word of God being upheld means that a specific command is to be observed. Because you have to determine by other various texts and contexts which ones are still observed.

I only started mentioning it because both sides seemed to be talking past each other.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟896,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All flesh means just that- everyone who is saved. This is not now this is on the New Heaven and New Earth. But NOW we should worship our Savior from one Sabbath to another on His holy day. Exodus 20:8-11

It means exactly what it says. Sorry if you disagree.

I posted this because you were talking past the other poster. He was saying we would be doing this in the future as well. Now you agree.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟932,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Psa 111:7 The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy;
Psa 111:8 they are established forever and ever, to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness.

Yes, all of His precepts. But Adventists do not observe all of His precepts. Because, like the others you are speaking to in this thread, they see some of them as fulfilled. For instance, the first fruits is a statute forever. Work is forbidden. But no one is claiming in this thread that we should observe it.

that is true - and I have no problem pointing to Heb 10:4-12 for the end of animal sacrifice and offering laws - and also pointing out the confession of faith of non-Bible Sabbath keeping groups like "The Baptist Confession of Faith - sectn 19" (which is C.H. Spurgeon in the form I quote it) and "the Westminster Confession of Faith - sectn 19" make that same distinction between the TEN (all TEN) and the animal sacrifice laws - so it is not "just SDAs" noticing that distinction by a long shot. (As well as Paul in 1 Cor 7:19)

Having said that I do agree with you that we need to be very precise about what makes the case and what is so general that it does not make our case.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟501,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I posted this because you were talking past the other poster. He was saying we would be doing this in the future as well. Now you agree.
This poster was saying Isaiah 66:23 means

today but in the eternal state!"

which does not say

Isaiah 66:23 And from one Sabbath to another,
All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the Lord.

Agree we should be worshipping Jesus every Sabbath as we will be doing this on the New Earth as well? Yes, I agree with my earlier statement.

• Winner
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟896,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Winner
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
Seattle area.
✟638,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And "Holy Convocation" Lev 23:2 and "sacred assembly" mean to meet in corporate worship

These key proof text verses seem to only work for you guys when they're edited.

"For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, a holy convocation. You shall not do any work; it is a sabbath to the Lord in all your dwellings."

In other words corporate compliance wherever they happen be at the time, rather than it meaning leaving their different dwelling places to all gather together.

Think of it along the same lines as the phrase "coming together as a nation".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟896,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which again does not say:

And from one Sabbath to another,
All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the Lord.

If you won't listen to what people are saying, you are ruling out conversation,.

He is not saying today in an eternal state. He is saying he thinks that we will assemble to worship on the Sabbath, but not today, only in the future, in eternity.

Here again, he does not say TODAY in an eternal state. But rather he says not about today, but about eternity.

I actually said that it........
"has nothing to do with Sabbath worship today but in the eternal state!"

IE. he seems to see some sort of dispensational element at play in which what we are now doing is different than what we will be doing.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟896,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
that is true - and I have no problem pointing to Heb 10:4-12 for the end of animal sacrifice and offering laws - and also pointing out the confession of faith of non-Bible Sabbath keeping groups like "The Baptist Confession of Faith - sectn 19" (which is C.H. Spurgeon in the form I quote it) and "the Westminster Confession of Faith - sectn 19" make that same distinction between the TEN (all TEN) and the animal sacrifice laws - so it is not "just SDAs" noticing that distinction by a long shot. (As well as Paul in 1 Cor 7:19)

I have not alleged that only SDA make that distinction.

Having said that I do agree with you that we need to be very precise about what makes the case and what is so general that it does not make our case.

Thank you. It seemed like this conversation needed a translator the way some were talking past each other.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟932,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:
And "Holy Convocation" Lev 23:2 and "sacred assembly" mean to meet in corporate worship

These key proof text verses seem to only work for you guys when they're edited.

"For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a Sabbath of complete rest, a holy convocation. You shall not do any work; it is a Sabbath to the Lord (YHWH) in all your dwellings."

I don't know why you think I have a problem with the term "Holy Convocation". It points to it as a day of "solemn assembly" - a day of "Holy Convocation:

and "you guys" would have to include all the non-SDA Bible commentarties
52 minutes ago #307 and confessions of faith, C.H. Spurgeon, D.L. Moody and Bible scholars in almost all Christian denominations on planet =Earth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟896,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If God is saying we are going to be doing something specifically on the New Earth- do you not think that is worthy of doing now? Especially worshipping our Savior on His holy day? That is not something I would mock but we do have free will.

Like assembling on the new moon, which you are keen to leave out every time you quote it?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟501,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If you won't listen to what people are saying, you are ruling out conversation,.

He is not saying today in an eternal state. He is saying he thinks that we will assemble to worship on the Sabbath, but not today, only in the future, in eternity.

Here again, he does not say TODAY in an eternal state. But rather he says not about today, but about eternity.

IE. he seems to see some sort of dispensational element at play in which what we are now doing is different than what we will be doing.
I was not getting that from this posts, but if there was a misunderstand my apologies to him.

I still don't think we should be doing something different now, than what we will be doing in heaven. We will continue to have to have free will. If we don't want to worship our Savior now on His holy day, why would we want to in heaven? Right now we have an invitation to keep God's Sabbath day holy.

• Agree
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟932,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If God is saying we are going to be doing something specifically on the New Earth- do you not think that is worthy of doing now? .

It shows that "it did not get deleted at the cross" -- but the post #119
Sunday at 2:30 PM #119 shows specifically the continuation in the NT with Gospel preaching "every Sabbath" in Acts 18:4 (for example) and James 2 making the argument that to break one is to break them all when it comes to the commandments of God - and the fact that even non-SDA Bible scholars in almost all Christian denominations affirm all TEN as continued

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
Seattle area.
✟638,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know why you think I have a problem with the term "Holy Convocation". It points to it as a day of "solemn assembly" - a day of "Holy Convocation:

and "you guys" would have to include all the non-SDA Bible commentaries
52 minutes ago #307 and confessions of faith, C.H. Spurgeon, D.L. Moody and Bible scholars in almost all Christian denominations on planet =Earth.

That depends on if you're saying solemn assembly logistically or philosophically. Do you think it means everyone leaving their house to meet at the temple? Or do you think it means them all complying to the sabbath law, as in coming together as a nation, while staying where they are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟501,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Like assembling on the new moon, which you are keen to leave out every time you quote it?
It means from month to month and doesn't change the meaning of from one Sabbath to another. We will for eternity be worshipping our Savior from Sabbath to Sabbath and month to month on God's chosen day. Some think when Jesus returns a month will be 28 days. While this is not stated in the bible, I have to agree.

• Winner
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.